Positioning a functioning but "illegal" piece in Stud.io

Have any pesky questions about techniques, or need advice on how to build a certain section for your frame? Post them here. Tips & tricks welcome.

Positioning a functioning but "illegal" piece in Stud.io

Postby McKelvie » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:28 am

I'm trying to build my latest in Stud.io, but coming up against a difficulty. I'm using this piece - https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/ca ... =1#T=P&C=1 - as a way to flip the direction of the studs, which functions perfectly well in reality. It doesn't snap in place (fair enough, it's not intended for that), but I can't move it manually to sit there. Is there a way to do so, like some sort of nudge keys I'm missing? I want it to sit in that 1 x 1 plate at the back. When I drag it around it just jumps all over the place.

Untitled-1.jpg
McKelvie
Chatty

Re: Positioning a functioning but "illegal" piece in Stud.io

Postby VitorFaria » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:01 pm

You can disable hit detection altogether, that will enable pretty much everything!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby McKelvie » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:12 pm

Yeah, I did, but I still wasn't able to move it into position. I finally did it by building it all flat on the ground, and rotating it once built. It's not 100% right, but enough to show where it should go.

dragonfly #1.jpg

dragonfly #3.jpg
McKelvie
Chatty

Postby Omniscient Frog » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:23 pm

If you click on the part, a small circular symbol should appear over it. If you hover over that it'll expand into two -- the left one lets you rotate the piece around its center, the right lets you translate it on its relative axes. That should let you slide the piece into place, although I don't know that it will count as connected.

Sorry if that's a terribly worded explanation, I don't have any visual aid to help [FACE WITH COLD SWEAT]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Break through the bindings of reality
Omniscient Frog
Young Gun

Postby McKelvie » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:26 am

Yeah, even with that it jumps around too much! I think because if where it's coded to snap to, as it's not a piece intended to attach in this way. Reducing the grid size helped make the jumps smaller, so it's roughly in place. Enough for anyone who wants to look at it and make one!
McKelvie
Chatty

Return to The Toolbox