best support for a 1x2 bottom space

Have any pesky questions about techniques, or need advice on how to build a certain section for your frame? Post them here. Tips & tricks welcome.

best support for a 1x2 bottom space

Postby ohako » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:00 am

Hello Hangerites!

I have a ship design that has a 1x2 'bottom' space to mount onto something. (Don't know if I have my terminology right, it's not that I have 2 studs, it's that I have space for two studs?) What's the best way to support my ship with a 'single pillar', something axley or antenna-y? So far I'm using a pair of slope 75 2x1x3s, which works certainly, but it isn't the best look.
ohako
Newcomer

Re: best support for a 1x2 bottom space

Postby aurlaent » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:35 pm

You coud use transparent bricks?

If you have an antenna add a plate 1x1 with clip and put the antenna in one space and the stud in the other. I've used this for many of my Frigates and HVAs.

If you have an axle, one of these and an axle pin will work if you have the deep holes from a brick.

You could try an axle with stud but it might not be strong enough with a single stud connection.
aurlaent
Talkative

Postby Luke_BMM » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:02 pm

Assuming the ship is roughly symmetrical and you want it centered, it depends a bit upon whether the two studs are length-wise (front-back / stem-stern, as it were) or width-wise (I guess that would be side-side / port-starboard).

Here's a few options. I'm guessing you've currently got the one in the lower right corner? If so, it's worth pointing out that I actually rather like it. Unobtrusive and stable.

linked to avoid an annoying huge screenshot.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby ohako » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:11 pm

aurlaent, I love your solution of axle to funky liftarm to half-pin to 1x2. That works really nicely!

_but_, the half-pin doesn't have friction in the pin hole, which means that the ship can spin a little. That's the only downside. I'm pretty sure for IO the game the pieces can't spin like that, because it's possible to get (or avoid) a ship collision that way. I do know my ship is going to be an HVA, so that might be okay.

Point is, is there a way to keep a half-pin in a pin hole from spinning? Jamming a 1L bar wrench in the bottom maybe?
ohako
Newcomer

Postby Blorf » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:04 pm

He was actually talking about a full size friction (black) pin. That's why he said you need a brick for that solution; you can't put a full size pin into a plate.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby ohako » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Oh! I can just 'ostrich leg' the axle and pin into the 1x2. That works well enough. Thanks folks.
ohako
Newcomer

Postby ohako » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:25 am

Blorf wrote:He was actually talking about a full size friction (black) pin. That's why he said you need a brick for that solution; you can't put a full size pin into a plate.

Oh, that's even more clever! Wow, uh, well, my two designs that use this have plate bottoms, unfortunately. Still a good idea eventually.
ohako
Newcomer

Return to The Toolbox