Microscale Veritech Help

Have any pesky questions about techniques, or need advice on how to build a certain section for your frame? Post them here. Tips & tricks welcome.

Microscale Veritech Help

Postby Atavism » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:48 pm

So, I'm trying to make some micro Veritech Fighters for IO frame squadrons but I haven't worked at this scale very much and I'm feeling a bit out of my depth. I have a working model (below) that I could be happy with. It is recognizable (to me, anyway) as a guardian mode configuration, but it is still bigger and clunkier than I would like, and seems more like a stand-out Ace where I'd prefer to field a base of them. Anyone have some ideas or tips to slim this down, or have seen someone else do it so I can go steal from them unmercifully?

Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Re: Microscale Veritech Help

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:12 pm

At this scale I would pick a travis, throw some cheese slopes on it and call it a day.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:54 pm

VitorFaria wrote:At this scale I would pick a travis, throw some cheese slopes on it and call it a day.

That suggestion led to some fair amount of inpiration, thank you. You're probably right though that the best way is little fighter-shaped smudges for an actual base squad.

Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Luke_BMM » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:52 pm

A bit late, as it looks like you're on the same track already, but here's what I came up with while trying to the original basic idea and make them 3-wide to fit four to a base. In brick shots coming shortly, because now I'm curious.

LDD included. Please ignore that I'm a plate or so off on the ace, I couldn't figure out how the wings are attached and that wasn't really the point at the moment anyway.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby Atavism » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:28 pm

The Ace is remarkably close for having been built entirely differently (and with much more common parts). The way you distributed the hip connection between the front and the back of the build is pretty inspired.

You've hit on a good way to minimize them, I think. I don't have nearly enough 1x3's tho! QQ

I've got a build down for the aces that I like, basically what I have above with cheese nose cones instead. They're color coded and have little touches that point to their purpose. (Pics soon, just no time today. Work, amIright?). I'll probably just make some generic grey fighters to stand in for full companies on a one-for-one basis.
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Luke_BMM » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:10 am

1x3s are in surprisingly short supply, it seems. I didn't quite realize until I started actually looking for them.

Fortunately, I found just enough to piece together a squad to try it out. The systems aren't particularly good... I think I'd prefer "naked" veritechs in different colors to represent the systems... but I didn't realize that until after I already had it sitting on my desk, so I snapped off a shot anyway.

That's Yellow (the radio), Blue (the wrench - repair counts as defense, right?), Red (the pistol), and Green (the binoculars). I'm really not happy with the binoculars as a super veritech, but using headlights and more cheese wedges was just too damn big. Also, a super veritech would obviously be the ace.

I think using the single Ace-style indicator on a base with the radar blips is a much smarter move. The amount of detail on these is just a bit too much to squeeze all 4 onto a plate. They all overhang the base a bit too much and visually, it just makes for a bit too much noise.

ps. "Ace on a Base" is definitely going to be my next band name.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby Atavism » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:14 am

I am satisfied with what I got, but I really like these. Can they stack a little tighter if you make the back row higher?
Atavism
Mod Team

Return to The Toolbox