[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - Optimus Prime Look alike?

Optimus Prime Look alike?

Have any pesky questions about techniques, or need advice on how to build a certain section for your frame? Post them here. Tips & tricks welcome.

Optimus Prime Look alike?

Postby Shades_Corvid » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:22 am

I have a friend who is interested in the game and LOVES transformers. To help get him in the game I was thinking of giving him the rule book and two frames inspired by (his fav char). One would be a truck and the other a more traditional frame. For the truck I am planning to use semi truck looking build option from the Mini Speeder set I just did a review on. ( ) I am thinking of putting a gun on the back of the truck and maybe figuring out a way to give it some pipes.

For the robot frame I want something that looks like Optimus but not sure what builds out there look like the big red guy? Thoughts? Ideas? Though perhaps what it really breaks down into is color choices and the head maybe?
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

- A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

- MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Optimus Prime Look alike?

Postby milt69466 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:41 am

I would suggest Orange Knight's knight frame. There's pdf instructions in wordman's ldraw/ instruction thread

by , on Flickr

instructions here

by , on Flickr
milt69466
Been Around The Block

Postby Shades_Corvid » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:41 pm

Certainly looks like a good place to start, just not sure about the head...

- A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

- MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Fushigisaur » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:15 pm

nothing to see here
Fushigisaur
Chatty

Postby Comm_Nagrom » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:12 pm

fushigisaur if you toss a plate with horizontal clip (or is it vertical... the one that would hold a rod perpendicular to the stud) under that head i think it would fit right on the knight frame (as their heads look like 1x1 modified tile w/ clip and trans studs)

EDIT: looking at the instructions that is EXACTLY what they are
it appears that i am much better at making modular designs than making original creations... wait a minute...
Comm_Nagrom
Talkative

Postby Fushigisaur » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:02 pm

nothing to see here
Fushigisaur
Chatty

Postby Shades_Corvid » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:34 pm

Thank you MOF0s! On a side note this will be a birthday gift, hope I can order all the parts in time!

- A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

- MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Comm_Nagrom » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:40 pm

actually that 1X2 slope is available in red, i have one from the mini helicopter creator set (i forget the name but its the new one)
it appears that i am much better at making modular designs than making original creations... wait a minute...
Comm_Nagrom
Talkative

Postby Fushigisaur » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:09 am

Alright, so, here is my attempt at converting the Knight frame into Optimus Prime.

It's not perfect by any means, but you can tweak it to your liking if you want.

EDIT: i should note that I didn't use any specific incarnation of the character as reference, but just went from memory making sure I covered the main aspects of his design.
Attachments
Prime.lxf
(17.82 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
nothing to see here
Fushigisaur
Chatty

Postby gatlinggouf927 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:14 am

That's super awesome! You captured optimus quite well :)
I came from the bottom, now I made it to the top. Newtype flow I'm the hottest on the block. Somebody tell these haters that I'm never gonna stop. Till I kill em all like a colony drop. I'm yellin out Sieg Zeon, Sieg Zeon

gatlinggouf927
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Fushigisaur » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:46 am

Made some small edits, adjusted the colors on the chest and made some tweaks to the legs. The legs were really bothering me. I'm sure there is a better way to do the wheels...

EDIT: Looked up some actual pictures of optimus prime to compare, looks like his helmet is completely blue. My mistake, but unless I make more changes it's not a big enough deal to upload yet another file. Also, the nead for a brick-built head can be negated by using the Kre-O piece... if you want to do that.

I'm going to keep tweaking this model and see if I can improve it.
Attachments
Prime.lxf
(17.57 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
nothing to see here
Fushigisaur
Chatty

Postby gusindor » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:58 pm

He's a bit small but I have an Optimus in . He even transforms, sorta. I'll post better pictures when I get the chance.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Fushigisaur » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:27 am

And I continue to work on this model.

Fixed the colors on the head- It's all blue now, like it should be.

The chest is now COMPLETELY different, but I made it in a way the old arms and legs could still attache with not modifications.

Legs are different too- STILL not happy with them but I think they're better than before.

Also mover the exhaust pipes from the back to the upper arms. It's now pretty accurate to the G1 incarnation.
Attachments
prime2.lxf
(20.54 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
nothing to see here
Fushigisaur
Chatty

Postby Jay Biquadrate » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:44 am

Here's a nice microscale Optimus from Flickr, but honestly, he looks a little small:

by , on Flickr

For truck mode, there a couple of offical LEGO sets that are exactly the right scale and have a somewhat correct cab shape. In all cases, you'd have to MOC up a trailer in the correct scale.

Except for 310005, these are discontinued, but I've linked the instructions, so you'd just have to do a palate swap.

Jay Biquadrate
Talkative

Postby Shades_Corvid » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:18 pm

Now I am trying to build the blaster

- A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

- MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Shades_Corvid » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:28 am

Got It

- A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

- MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Shades_Corvid » Sun May 04, 2014 9:51 pm

Blog Post is Coming

- A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

- MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Shades_Corvid » Fri May 09, 2014 4:09 am

- A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

- MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pippi Shortstack » Mon May 12, 2014 1:20 pm

Super neat! Very well done! I think Michael Bay could take a few lessons from you.

You are a great friend! :D
"Volkodav Industries DBE-02 Medved: If you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherhutcher on your lawn, accept no substitutes." -- M3tschenniy
Pippi Shortstack
Been Around The Block

Postby Comm_Nagrom » Tue May 27, 2014 6:37 pm

i know its probably a bit late but someone
Comm_Nagrom
Talkative

Next

Return to The Toolbox