Japanese Mobile Frame Community?

Find games in Asian countries.

Japanese Mobile Frame Community?

Postby TableTopTitan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm currently living in Japan and will be for the next year. I'm curious to know if a player base exists in Japan. If not, I'd like tips on how to get one started here. Thanks.
TableTopTitan
Newcomer

Re: Japanese Mobile Frame Community?

Postby Shades_Corvid » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:29 pm

There is a thread for searching for players but I am sure admin will move this once they see it. I know of one player in Japan who I poked on Twitter to check this thread out.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby zeekhotep » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:44 pm

There is a sizable Lego mecha community in Japan, and a number of them build to about MFZ scale. I would look into tracking them down.
zeekhotep
Talkative

Postby darksyntax » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Having been to Japan a half a dozen times, I have to imagine I'd be like anywhere else. Find a gaming shop/cafe/bar that has in-store play. Offer demo's. Post on their calendar. If anything MFZ might be an easier sell in Japan. A quick search returned a few blogs (of varying regularity) and a couple game clubs; search for clubs/groups in our particular area.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby HyveMynd » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Howdy TableTopTitan! I currently live in Japan too, though have no plans to leave any time soon. ;)

Where are you located? I'm down in Osaka. If you live nearby, it would be great to hook up. I've introduced the game to several friends at monthly boardgame meetups, but haven't managed to form any kind of dedicated club.

A huge part of that is due my lack of Japanese ability. I can only have very basic conversations, which is not enough to explain a game, even a fairly simple one like MF0. That is going to be your biggest hurdle in setting up a group. Without Japanese ability your pool of potential players shrinks dramatically (as is the case with me). That reduces your ability to run demos and to advertise the group.

The other issue I've come across is brick availability. You can get boxed LEGO sets just fine here in Japan, but those aren't great for MF0 unless you do single set challenges. The one LEGO store here in Osaka does have a Pick-a-Brick wall, but it sells bricks by weight not volume. There are no $10 cups to fill with as many bricks as you want here.

There are online third party retailers, but again, Japanese language ability will be an issue. You can't find those sites without being able to read Japanese. There are a few BrickLink stores here in Japan, but they seem to focus on minifigs from what I've seen. That leaves overseas BrickLink stores, and shipping to Japan is often ridiculously expensive. I've only had a few order sent to me here because of that. I usually send BrickLink orders to my parents in the States and then pick them up when I visit home every couple of years or so. If you can get a group together, bulk orders with several people splitting shipping could be an option.

Anywhoo, welcome to the land of the Rising Sun (and ridiculous shipping fees). :D
@HyveMynd on Twitter

I stand with Twankus!
HyveMynd
Talkative

Return to Asia