'allo 'allo

Introduce yourself
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

'allo 'allo

Postby Goggles2114 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:42 pm

Got recommended to look at this place for getting help building robots for a game since I' less after snooty snooty killbot 9001 and more jonney 5 or wall-e.

Anyone ever heard of Engine Heart? Game set either with humanity dead, gone, or on a world where people simply aren't there. You are a robot that's some sort of maintenance, construction, or the like (and yes playing a roomba is a valid option.) The problem is it is bloody difficult without 3d printing to get robots that aren't geared towards murdering everything. I could go with paper craft but that is hard.

Lego is easy to get into.
Goggles2114
Newcomer

Re: 'allo 'allo

Postby Luke_BMM » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:28 am

Welcome aboard and thanks for pointing out Engine Heart!

I hadn't heard of it before, but I just grabbed and skimmed the PDF (the link on the site is broken). A mash-up of Robo-Rally, Pixar, and Paranoia? Yes, you've definitely got my attention...

I'm already thinking of scale and using minifigs as standard human size seems like a good way to go. Most of the mobile frames will be too large, but there have been a ton of great designs in smaller scales, too.

I'd start by looking at:
OMNI 4p frames by eduty
Micro-mini hardsuits by mraichelson
Micro Space Frames by pasukaru76
Nanoframe by A YATES INDUSTRIALS
TYK-01 Tyke by yours truly
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby Goggles2114 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:32 pm

I hadn't wanted my first post to sound too much like an advert for some other system so thank you for links.

I like it. Hell, I wrote a book in the setting (With Viral's blessing no less.) Granted I don't live near any sort of play group, but that doesn't mean I don't want resources avalible.

Besides, small indie game/communities need to stick together.
Goggles2114
Newcomer

Postby Luke_BMM » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:56 pm

A few images for you... because I can't stop thinking about how badly I want to play the roomba which is seeking purpose in a world which doesn't appreciate its tidying ways.

I'm thinking a minifig is more like an ASIMO than an adult human. That puts it at size three and makes it a bit easier to figure out how big or small to make things.
(click for full-size)

Top set is the selfie-bot, the gardener, a power-washer, a simple companion, and a goofy minifig.
The second set also has the bipedal battery, the porter-bot, alemaster 3000 (because I've never used taps as actual taps before) and the anti-bullying unit (with drone) in the back row.

Here's a the spectrum of sizes, as I was imagining it. LDD file attached below.

Thanks again for bringing it up. I had so many things I should have done today... but spending the better part of a Sunday making tiny robots isn't the worst thing to happen to a guy.
Attachments
engineheartsizes2.lxf
Ok, we've got a microfig, an ambulatory alarm clock, the selfie-bot, a sentient roomba, the gardener, a simple pet/companion, a slightly more helpful pet/companion, the power washer, a minifig for scale, the bipedal battery, the porter-bot, alemaster 300, the anti-bullying unit, and a chub for scale.
(32.25 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Return to Welcome & Introductions