Greetings from the midwest USA

Introduce yourself
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Greetings from the midwest USA

Postby strikethrough » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:41 am

Hey all,

Looooong time lurker, first time poster. I started following the MF0 scene about a year and a half ago. Y'all some talented and creative folks. Sadly, not much of my Lego Collection has survived the cleansing (garage sales) while I was off at university a few years back. Alas, I try to make up for my lack of parts with LDD skills (although seeing all these great ideas that are illegal in LDD drive me nuts...)

When I was a kid, I loved the idea of building tiny robots, little drones, larger robots that were piloted by mini figs. The obsessions go on. Sadly, back then I wasn't really as open with my creativity. I was the kid that always followed the kit instructions and that was about it...

About a year and a half ago, a friend of mine posted a picture on Facebook. It was some picture from a group of dudes called "The Brothers Brick". The photo eludes me now, but I remember flipping through their Flickr catalog, then other catalogs, and eventually stumbling on to A. YATES INDUSTRIALS. I remember being completely blown away by the LFM stuff he had built, those were exactly what I was trying for when I was a kid.

I remember flipping though a few more and finding some really great stuff. The mechs were all the same theme - war machines, some with artillery, machine guns, jet packs, 7p scale, pictures of them fighting each other against some lego scenery. Someone had commented about MF0 companies on an image, the load outs, etc. Quick Google Search dropped me off here.

I didn't have any Legos. I saw some people posting CGI pictures. LDraw was too hard for me (noob). Base instructions were downloaded. Rules read. No one to play with. Decide against monetary investment for now. LDD installed. Reverse engineered a handful of community frames. Built a few of my own. Scrapped them. Repeat. Found community frame instructions. Built and studied and really tried to wrap my head around the original authors' frames of mind [GET IT?]. Felt guilty when I didn't know who had built what frames. Re-read the entire forum and as many Flickr streams I could in order to sort out the frames to their original authors. Only two (out of 69) are still unidentified...

Lets face it, no surprise it took me a year and a half to get on here to actually post. I guess this is a bit long for a simple introduction, but I do want to say that you all are some seriously creative folks. I've only got a few builds - hoping to make some more soon - but they're all the more special because of all the collective inspiration from here.

Anyway, that's my sentimental arrival story. Hope it wasn't too overbearing. Happy to be here. :D
STRIKETHROUGH

Delivery!
*Ka-Chunk* *Ka-Chunk*
*BOOM*
strikethrough
Newcomer

Re: Greetings from the midwest USA

Postby Mantisking » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:06 am

Welcome!
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby mraichelson » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:08 am

Welcome. Where in the midwest are you?
I put together frame building kits (and links to folks selling companies) at MobileFra.me.
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Postby strikethrough » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:39 am

mraichelson wrote:Welcome. Where in the midwest are you?

I'm out in the greater Cleveland area. I guess it's the more eastern part of the midwest... :oops:
STRIKETHROUGH

Delivery!
*Ka-Chunk* *Ka-Chunk*
*BOOM*
strikethrough
Newcomer

Return to Welcome & Introductions