Hello from San Francisco, CA

Introduce yourself
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Hello from San Francisco, CA

Postby Mark Sakura » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:08 am

Hello, everyone! I've been lurking around these forums for a while, so I thought it's about time that I introduced myself.

I was a huge lego nut growing up, but put them all away when I left for college. That would be back in 1993. Figured it was time to put away childish things, and all that. Though, ever since then, I'd have the occasion to wander past a toy store and see the amazing sets on display, like when Lego Star Wars came out, or a mall kiosk with all those funky Bionicle containers. And I'd think to myself, man, the toys these kids have nowadays are amazing. Sure wish they'd had those sets when I was growing up. And then I'd move on. Money was tight, and I had no place to put them anymore, so indulging myself like that made no sense. That's what I told myself.

But last Christmas I was visiting my parents back on the East Coast and my niece and nephew came over. And my nephew loves to play with Lego. In fact, my parents have a box full of some of my old legos that they'll pull out for him. So I got roped into playing legos with him, and I discovered something--lego building at 38 was every bit as fun as it was when I was a kid. 

Then it was off to buy Christmas presents for the kids. Of course I'm buying a Lego set for my nephew. And I'm wandering through the Lego section, and I find that I want to buy every single set for myself. Particularly the Galaxy Squad theme, and particularly the Vermin Vaporizer--an awesome snub-nosed space tank where the turret pops off and turns into a robot? Sign me up!

So when I get back to my apartment in San Francisco, I've got an Amazon gift certificate from my sister as one of my Christmas presents. So I decide, screw it--I'm getting that Vermin Vaporizer from Amazon, and I'll figure out some place to put it when it's built. And so I did, and it came in the mail, and I put it together, and doing that made me so, so very happy.

So I've been hooked on Lego ever since, and it's been amazing tuning back into what's going on in the world of Lego since I've been gone. (They use a different shade of grey now? And people were upset by this?) But it's amazing what's available now. The world wide web was in its infancy in 1993, and I didn't learn anything about how to use it until I was college. My building was a completely solitary activity. I could never share or show off my MOCs to anyone, (or know that the word for them was MOCs) nor could I browse Lego blogs, or Flickr pages with all these amazing creations. They just sat on my shelf until I got tired of them and tore them down to make something new. I think there were a few of them I liked enough to make hand-drawn instructions on how to build them before I tore them down, so I could re-create them if I needed to. I'm finding LDD to be a lot more time-efficient than that.

Anyway, for the first couple months I was back into the hobby I didn't make any MOCs, just sets. But one day one of the blogs I follow mentioned the Alpha Bandit Intercept Orbit kickstarter, which pointed me to Rapid Attack, and now I think I'm slightly obsessed. So far I've built four original frame designs, mainly because I'm finding it easier to build new with the pieces I've got than try to copy from plans that use a lot of pieces I don't have. I've got pictures, and I plan to post them pretty soon, but I want to organize them and work out some of the backstory for them first.

Anyway, welcome everyone! Let me know if there's anything going on in SF/Bay area.
Runaway Urashima: A short novel set in the Mobile Frame Zero universe.
Mark Sakura
Talkative

Re: Hello from San Francisco, CA

Postby Viper Tesla » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:57 am

Welcome! :)

If you look down below this thread, I believe there is at least a handful of other folks in the Bay Area... some in East Bay/greater Bay Area and some in the city proper I think. Unfortunately I'm in Sacramento so I'm not exactly close, but if you ever find yourself in this neck of the woods, let me know! ;P\

-VIPER

EDIT: At least two relevant threads are here and here .
Viper Tesla
Chatty

Postby Mantisking » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:52 am

Welcome!
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Soren » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:48 pm

Hey! I'm just down the peninsula from you in San Mateo. I ran a demo game for some guys at the Humble Bundle office a little while ago; I don't know if they'd be willing to host something like that again, or if there's another, better place, but I'd be happy to meet up, talk shop (and sign your rulebook) if you want.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Mark Sakura » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:33 am

Thanks for the welcome! Keep me posted if there are any Bay Area meetups. Going outside the City can be a bit of a hassle, since I don't have a car, but I can do it if I need to. Soren, I think I might take you up on your offer. Maybe sometime later this month.
Runaway Urashima: A short novel set in the Mobile Frame Zero universe.
Mark Sakura
Talkative

Postby sturmhauke » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi! I'm on the Peninsula too, and just getting into Mobile Frame Zero. I'll post a full introduction later.
sturmhauke
Newcomer

Postby jugglervr » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Mark Sakura wrote:Anyway, welcome everyone! Let me know if there's anything going on in SF/Bay area.

Game Kastle in Santa Clara here. We have ~6 semi-regulars. Let us know ahead of time if you plan to make it so we can be sure to have stuff ready.
jugglervr
Been Around The Block

Return to Welcome & Introductions