New Player

Introduce yourself
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

New Player

Postby Commander Kaos » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:36 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm not exactly sure how I discovered this game but I stumbled across it about two weeks ago. I have been digesting the rules (MFZ:RA and IO), the setting fiction (which I enjoy) and this forum since that time. I am the married father of two boys (and no shortage of Legos) and we hail from Ohio.

This is a really great game in its design. The rules are so simple but the the strategic applications are endless. In my opinion, THAT makes for a great game.

I am a "retired" 40K veteran (as retired as a Space Marine can be, lol) and I still sit around a table of other forty-somethings every other Friday night to play D&D (we are now playing 5E). Along these lines, I also played Battletech, The Robotech RPG and Car Wars as well.

[My friends and] I have almost immediately added some house rules almost that I would like to share:

1) We have written (or plagiarized) some scenario-based skirmishes and battles
2) We have created some "cards" that offer secret weapons, rules, winning conditions and alliances to add to the game
3) We have stylized some of the art and "unit regalia" of familiar frames and ships through the use of printed stickers.
4) I have created a fun little frame (it's more an "Artillery Support Frame" actually) that also fulfills the "Build a Cheap Frame" challenges that I have been reading on the blogs of other active members of this community. I will post pictures (sorry but LDD and Stud.io have not been agreeable to creating build instructions - though you all should be able to figure it out as it is 26 pieces from a Dollar General $1 kit).
5) We also don't usually play in a "furball" all-v-all style of game. We usually field four players on two teams each with 4-5 frames each. That way the battles are - in our opinion - more strategic, more realistic (i.e., with squads and commanders) and more epic.

One question that I have as I move forward into this cool hobby is how many people are still out there and active? According to this forum, there appear to be some die-hards but it appears that Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack hit some years ago and has maybe fallen off since.

Either way, I plan on becoming involved and look forward to reading (and writing) posts for the foreseeable future.

Thanks in advance for your warm welcomes!
Cmd. Kaos
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”
― Robert A. Heinlein
Commander Kaos
Newcomer

Re: New Player

Postby Artasid » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:18 pm

Greetings Kaos, and welcome to the Hanger.

Here you will find plenty of ideas, suggestions, and inspirations that other players have shared. Feel free to explore the threads and share your own ideas, and you are already off to a wonderful start!
The concept of house rules are nothing new, however, you do present some interesting ones. For example, the cards of secret weapons, win conditions, alliences, ect, remind me of the weapon/pilot cards used from the MechWarrior: Dark Age miniatures (Which I used to be a heavy player of until WizKids discontinued it :( ). I may have to try it myself with MFZ. Thank you for sharing.

As for your question about active players, I can not give you a fair number, however you will notice that most of the regular contributors on this thread are active players. I am active myself, however there are very few players interested in my area, so its sometimes hard to get a game going.

Enjoy your stay here and again, Welcome to the Hanger.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mantisking » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Welcome. There are a fair amount of players out there that don't use social media. I've run into a bunch of them at conventions. So for every one that posts here, you can figure there's two to three more that don't.

And finding other players will be aided by putting your location in your profile.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Commander Kaos » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:05 pm

Mantisking wrote:Welcome. There are a fair amount of players out there that don't use social media. I've run into a bunch of them at conventions. So for every one that posts here, you can figure there's two to three more that don't.

That'e good to know. I was surprised that my friends were game. I DID provide pretty much all the materials though. LOL. I have an 11 year old as well and I plan on getting him and his pals involved - whether they want to or not.

Mantisking wrote:And finding other players will be aided by putting your location in your profile.

Will do. Good idea.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”
― Robert A. Heinlein
Commander Kaos
Newcomer

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:40 pm

First and foremost, welcome, you will sure enjoy the place

Commander Kaos wrote:One question that I have as I move forward into this cool hobby is how many people are still out there and active? According to this forum, there appear to be some die-hards but it appears that Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack hit some years ago and has maybe fallen off since.

That's more of an issue of social networks stealing the spotlight of good and old phpBB boards like this, I've written a few posts about this phenomena.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Commander Kaos » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:48 pm

Ah. I just discovered the MF0 Facebook page. If forums are old school, then call me old school. I'm going to follow this as well as that and add content when I can. I added a couple of designs from my "MF0 on the cheap' mentality. Check out the Short Tom and Dusty. Each kit was a dollar total - though I'm nor sure of there being Dollar General stores in Brazil. Lol. :D

Thank you for making me feel welcome.
― Robert A. Heinlein
Commander Kaos
Newcomer

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:58 pm

Forums are still the best in the great scheme of things, as they actually archive things in a very open and easy to search manner.

If you want your stuff to be remembered for years, this is the place!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby KungFujiApple » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:25 am

Just wanted to extend a welcome and high five :D
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Been Around The Block

Return to Welcome & Introductions