MFZ: Squeaking It Under the Wire Edition

Battle reports and play-by-post games
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

MFZ: Squeaking It Under the Wire Edition

Postby Red_Robot » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:57 am

June 29th and the month was drawing to a close. In a sketchy and desperate ploy, I beat the bushes for a buddy to do battle. One last time into the breach, dear friends!

We met up at Dungeon's End in West Duluth, and surreptitiously commandeered a table for our own purposes. This was an SSB project, and like everything the SSB does it was quick-and-dirty and horrendously slap dash. The table wasn't optimal, to be honest, and we ended up with a rectangular battlefield instead of a more circle friendly square. But you know...hutch it.

ImageBoulevard of Broken Dreams by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

We settled on a Skirmish level conflict, and picked our troops. He brought 5 Frames and 20 Systems and I brought 5 Frames and 19 Systems. It should be noted that scoring made me go cross eyed numerous times, and I had to make a worksheet to make sure I got it right...for a two player game.

Sven - The Yellow Jacket Gang - 5 Frames and 3 Stations - PPA: 4 - Starting Score: 32
BIG BOSS: d6Rh d6Rh - d8Rh - d6Y - d6Y - d6W - d6W - d8G - d8Rr
Sneaky Pete: d6Ra d8Rd - d6B - d6Y - d6Y - d6W - d6W - d8Rr
Gunny: d6Rd d6Rd - d8Rd - d6Y - d6G - d6W - d6W
BOOMER: d6Ra d6Rd - d6B - d6Y - d6G - d6W - d6W - d8Rr
Li'l Choppa: d6Rh d6Rh - d8Rh - d6B - d6Y - d6W - d6W - d8G

Carl - The 313th TTM Division - 5 Frames and 3 Stations - PPA: 6 - Starting Score: 48
Commander Yudai: d6Rh d6Rh - d8Rh - d6B - d6B - d6W - d6W - d8Rr - d8Rr
Captain Kushmael: d6Rd d6Rd - d6B - d6Y - d6G - d6W - d6W
Lt. Singh: d6Rd d6Rd - d6B - d6Y - d6G - d6W - d6W
Red Runt MAC: d6Ra d6Ra - d8Ra - d6B - d8G - d6W - d6W
Red Dart RRD: d6B - d6Y - d6Y - d6W - d6W - d8G - d8Rr

Red Robot wrote:Editorial Note: By now my once prized red company is literally falling apart. They have been seeing a lot of play lately and been passing into the hands of others, and now some of my once most cherished frames will barely hold together. After this game, the 313th is going on hiatus until I can tear them down and start from the ground up again.

The 313th deployed first, and set up a predictable line with one station central to the board and the remaining two set back and to the sides. This created a perimeter that pushed offensive deployment towards the opposing corners. The Yellow Jackets massed the majority of their troops towards the southeast corner of the field, then left one little troublemaking chabber out by itself on the northeastern side.

ImageThe Coming Swarm by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

ImageWho Goes There by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

ImageOh...Hiiiii... by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

Round 1
Engagement started out quick and bloody. The 313th sent its Remote Recon Drone to deal with the lone insurgent at the northern perimeter, but in truth it was a feint to set up targeting coordinates on the pirate boss frame. Pirate frame and drone exchanged rocket fire, then the 313th focused overlapping fire on the boss. The boss frame pushed forward to threaten TTM frames and their southwestern station, leading the charge against the marines. The cost was heavy for the Yellow Jackets, however, and they watched as their boss was cut down in midfield.

ImageA Clash of Arms by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

ImageHere Comes the Boom by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

ImageThis is What We Do to Pirates Around Here by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

The Doomsday Clock ticks down at the end of the round, and the players hit the fast forward button a couple times, leaving us at 8 for the start of round 2.

Scores
Red: 48
Yellow: 28

Round 2

The Yellow Jackets are starting to swarm the 313th's southern position like it's an old peach dropped from the tree. The 313th tries to form a bulwark around their southern station, and begins a series of attacks focusing fire on the threatening yellow point frame. Most of the attacks prove ineffective, though, and return fire whittles Lt. Singh's frame down to core systems. Meanwhile, on the northern perimeter, the Yellow Jacket insurgent hopscotches over the defending red frames to claim their station, while the red support team pushes east towards undefended Yellow Jacket territory.

ImageClusterhutch by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

ImageI Have Something to Tell You... by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

ImageSo Long Suckers by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

The Doomsday Clock ticks down to 7 and the players keep pushing it. The time falls to 5 for the start of round 3.

Scores
Red: 42
Yellow: 32

Round 3

The 313th is fighting a holding action at this point, while the Yellow Jackets continue their push on the TTM Station. The badly damaged red Osprey finally falls, becoming a heap of sparking junk and spasming muscle cylinders impeding the path to the TTM's signal booster. But Li'l Choppa fires it's jump jets and vaults over the interceding terrain to claim the red station. This causes an immediate swing in points that puts the Yellow Jackets in the lead. Turn order shifts, and the Yellow Jackets focus fire on the damaged frame of Commander Yudai. The attacks prove ineffective, however, and the valiant commander is left standing.

ImageShaking Things Up by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

ImageStacking Them Like Cord Wood by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

The Doomsday Clock ticks down to 4 and our players keep their foot firmly on the throttle, leaving us at 2 for beginning of round 4.

Score:
Red: 30
Yellow: 36

Round 4

The Yellow Jackets now in the lead, they continue their campaign of focused aggression, raining down artillery fire on wounded 313th defenders. Focused fire from both sides has left each team a curious mix of badly damaged and pristine frames. Yudai has managed to weather the assault, and lands a killing blow on Li'l Choppa (alas, we hardly knew ye.) but is unable to capitalize and reclaim the now undefended signal booster. Likewise, unreliable conditions have left the red squad's push towards Yellow Jacket stations just short. The gambit fails, and with it, the TTM.

Image...the horror...the horror by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

ImageThe Cheese Stands Alone... by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

The Doomsday Clock ticks down at the end of the round, and the Yellow Jackets push it over the edge. The pirates have managed to jam the TTM's outgoing broadcast. There will be no reinforcements forthcoming.

Final Score
Red: 30
Yellow: 32

This game went -fast- due to multiple time constraints but it was still great fun. Once again I got a big wedge of defeat pie thanks to my long time friend/nemesis and the nefarious Yellow Jacket Gang. If anything, this shows that MFZ is great for a quick pick-up game if you have a couple hours to kill and a couple tubs of frames and bricks.
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Re: MFZ: Squeaking It Under the Wire Edition

Postby Scrape » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:46 am

Awesome battlefield setup!

Are we tied for first place now? Oh noooooooooo :D
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Re: MFZ: Squeaking It Under the Wire Edition

Postby Red_Robot » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:34 pm

Scrape wrote:Are we tied for first place now? Oh noooooooooo :D

Yeah, but it's a win/win! ;)
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Return to Mobile Frame Battle Reports