[1v1] Arena Inagural Battle!

Battle reports and play-by-post games
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

[1v1] Arena Inagural Battle!

Postby Pippi Shortstack » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:13 pm

I realize I now I have absolutely NO self-restraint. I am so sorry.
So, when I was younger, my friends and I had a home-brewed RPG we called "Star Runner" (I said I was younger, right?). A portion of the game revolved around a planet called "Arena World" (so much younger), where pilots used giant robots to duke it out in galaxy-wide broadcast sporting events. We had a complicated and over-wrought combat system to resolve these matches, and it fell to the way-side in the actual gaming world outside of the occasional mention for flavoring purposes.

I was talking with those same friends about MOF0, and sort of realized it would be the perfect system to use to play that sort of game, that the skirmishes didn't necessarily have to represent full-on warfare, and that the game could actually be just a game. I don't know if this is a concept that would actually be a good fit in the RL SC, but I kinda think this is how we're going to handle our "battles" from now on. I want to do a big write-up on "Arena" (the Vegas of Space!) and such, but that's a different thread, maybe. This is the first match on that world, and here are the two teams that did the duking!
M.B.D.K. (Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know) went largely high-speed, low-drag HtH, a strategy that served him pretty well. (He fielded the Rough Riders in his last game, and his two sluggers made a pretty big impression on him). I went with a more middle-ground approach, heavier on the defense, and hoped that my range advantage would turn the tide.

Sigh.

MBDK wanted to try out the defensive position this game, so he dropped one of Pipe's yellow dice, and set up his DP around the indestructible cover of the mesa, using that as placement for his heavy gun and a station. My poor Vulcan became the sacrificial point
MBDK deliberated for quite some time as to where to place his final frame. Quite. Some. Time. I may have teased him a bit about it. Finally the oddly custom MBDK dropship brought his modified Myrmidon into place.
I took a couple of pics of the event, mocking its gravitas, because I'm something of a jerk-face.
With everybody now in place, the game was finally afoot! The Doomsday Clock (an actual clock, in the Arena games!) was set to 11, and the starting buzzer sounded.
MBDK opted to leave the point frame alone, moving his lightning fast modded Conscripts in against my Bulwark. Rori makes it to within striking distance, but misses his attack. Rabbit responds with a HTH swing and a miss.
Tori targets Rabbit as well, but falls just short of chainsword range, and I begin to think that maybe my ranged weapons are the way to go after all, especially after Kanji is only able to sprint forward to new cover, with nothing in range for his blades. He drops a spot on Weasel and calls it a turn. Just to remind me that MBDK has a gunner, too, Pipes uses Tori's spot on Kithon and wails away at its cover. The Ijad lucks out, and only the falling masonry dust hits it.
Vulcan lumbers upfield, taking a pot shot at Kanji, missing with her sidearm, but hitting the Myrmidon with a pretty significant spot. Kithon follows through on the ping, smashing away his cover, and drawing first blood of the game.
Kanji is partially disarmed. HA!
Weasel takes a shot at the exposed and damaged frame, but misses entirely.

The first round has come and gone, and I'm feeling stupidly optimistic about my chances. Which lets you know something about me, I suppose.

Doomsday Clock clicks down to 9, because I can kinda see what's in store for Rabbit, and my optimism starts to wane.
And rightly so! Tori swings into attack position easily, anxious to put his spinning blades of death to use. His attack wipes out Rabbit's cannon.
Rabbit turns and lashes out with his own attack (he's got a license for "small arms". Get it?), and Tori loses a yellow system.
Which should be some sort of consolation as Rori hammers the poor Bulwark into scrap, but it isn't really. First blood was sweet, but first kill is, according to MBDK, much sweeter. I'm sure I wouldn't know. :evil:
Kanji makes a run for my Bearcat, but can't muster the speed to bring himself into range. The only thing that keeps me from mocking his inability to attack is the fact that I'm kinda losing, badly.
Kanji makes a very tempting target, however, and Kithon takes the shot, jacking the Myrmidon for 2 more system's worth of damage, then running a little father down field. Fear of the twin swords of terror makes the Ijad abandon both cover, and the station it was holding. I weep inconsolably.
Abandoning my station made me sad, but Vulcan manages to shrug off Pipe's subsequent attack (7 dice, no damage!), and once activated, I get enough of a movement roll out of the Bearcat to swing by MBDK's unattended station, claiming it in the name of the Greys and all that is marginally acceptable in the world! She also uses this opportunity to reduce Kanji to a single white system.
Weasel, as is his wont, went in for the mercy kill. Suddenly, the game is tied! What the what?
Round two now behind us, the Doomsday clock clicks down to 6. With a tied game, we roll off for tactical initiative and the Grey Company starts off with the ball!

Vulcan runs down to the other side of the Mesa, eliminating its use as cover for Pipes. She puts a few charged particles through the Kuritsa Khodok's cannon, and laughs wildly!Image
Pipes scrambles to the other side of the station he's guarding, and fires on Kithon. His artillery barrage knocks off a blue system, and the Ijad frame activates, firing on Rori with the weaker, direct range setting on its lightning cannon and an SSR. Both fail to penetrate the conscript's defenses, and a truly pathetic roll means that Kithon only moves a single unit away, unable to either help to defend Weasel's station, or escape its relentless pursuers.

Rori sidles up easily to Kithon's abandoned station, claiming it without contention. Then to add insult to injury, he shoves a rocket down the Ijad's metaphorical throat, knocking it down to 3 systems.
After a spectacularly ineffectual attack by Weasel on Rori, Tori plays mop-up, skating over to the doomed Lightning Bug with eight freaking movement. Slicing and dicing for a truly gut-wrenching 5 systems' worth of damage, Tori puts paid to the Ijad's career. When you've only got 3 systems left, that 5 damage seems a little egregious, dontcha think?
So, now we've stumbled through the third round, and the Doomsday Clock has clicked down to 3.

There is some fast paced movement, with the two Mr. Knife guys closing in on the weasel, but after everything is said and done, everybody misses everybody in round four.
Yes, seriously.

The Doomsday Clock clicks down to 1

Rori and Tori move in on Weasel, and the guy does an amazing job defending against the two sociopaths, even dinging Rori for a spot system's worth of damage.
However, with Tori's spot of six, and Pipe's attack of the same, Weasel buys it in one swell foop.
With Weasel's frame now lovingly oxidizing on the verdant plains of Arena, and subsequently no longer defending the station, well... you know what that means.
Oddly enough (and I still can't get MBDK to explain why he did this- something about wanting to reclaim his other station while gambling that Vulcan wouldn't have enough movement to get her to this station?), Pipes had pulled away from his own station when he attacked, leaving enough space for Vulcan to sweep in and claim it. She attacked as well, but we won't talk about the 4 dice that rolled nothing above a 2. The one that got a 6 was nice, though.

Annnnnd, a claimed station is a claimed station. :oops:
Doomsday Clock: 0

Even with that crazy ending move, the Grey Company was trounced pretty solidly (16-30), and MBDK walked out of the Arena with a well-deserved win, plus the ability to assign starting initiative and positions in the next Arena game.

And... I got some yummy pulled-pork sammiches out of the deal, so I kinda felt like I was a winner, too. :D

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Pippi Shortstack on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Volkodav Industries DBE-02 Medved: If you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherhutcher on your lawn, accept no substitutes." -- M3tschenniy
Pippi Shortstack
Been Around The Block

Re: [1v1] Arena Inagural Battle!

Postby rudemech » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:06 pm

A pleasure to read, as always. What on earth is 'pulled pork'? I've pulled a hamstring before - I hope you're not advocating cannibalism...
rudemech
Chatty

Postby Soren » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:30 pm

This is a great report. I'm loving the stacked-felt terrain - I was skeptical of the idea at first, but it's grown on me.

rudemech wrote:What on earth is 'pulled pork'? I've pulled a hamstring before - I hope you're not advocating cannibalism...

This is pulled pork. It is delicious (I'm partial to a mustard sauce, myself).
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Pippi Shortstack » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:27 pm

rudemech wrote:A pleasure to read, as always. What on earth is 'pulled pork'? I've pulled a hamstring before - I hope you're not advocating cannibalism...

LOL! Well, we all have to be a cannibal for our own actions. Erm. That actually works a ton better if you say it out loud. :oops:

But thank you, both for reading and commenting!

Soren wrote:This is a great report. I'm loving the stacked-felt terrain - I was skeptical of the idea at first, but it's grown on me.

Thanks so much!

If nothing else, the felt makes for a nice rolling surface, and it's easier to photograph against than most of the tables I've played on.

Soren wrote:This is pulled pork. It is delicious (I'm partial to a mustard sauce, myself).

I kinda like a smoky BBQ myself. But yeah, made right, pulled pork is a SUPER yummy sammich filling. And, as far as I know, there's no long pig involved.
"Volkodav Industries DBE-02 Medved: If you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherhutcher on your lawn, accept no substitutes." -- M3tschenniy
Pippi Shortstack
Been Around The Block

Postby Soren » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:38 pm

Pork-related fun continues here to save Ray some clicks.

Pippi Shortstack wrote:If nothing else, the felt makes for a nice rolling surface, and it's easier to photograph against than most of the tables I've played on.

I'd like to try felt-covered modular blocks some time. That might be the best compromise between destructibility and convenience, since stacking felt could get crazymaking for battles with a lot of verticality.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Mantisking » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:29 pm

Soren wrote:Pork-related fun continues here to save Ray some clicks.

Thank you.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Pippi Shortstack » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:57 am

Soren wrote: I'd like to try felt-covered modular blocks some time. That might be the best compromise between destructibility and convenience, since stacking felt could get crazymaking for battles with a lot of verticality.

Hmmmm... I still have a few yards left. You've given me something to think about.

Again. :lol:

Mantisking wrote:
Soren wrote:Pork-related fun continues here to save Ray some clicks.

Thank you.

Yes. Thanks. :)
Pippi Shortstack
Been Around The Block

Postby Dukayn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:24 am

My reaction to this battle report:

Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby MittenNinja » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:29 am

Man, those effects you added to the photos are friggin perfect! Absolutely love it!
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Red_Robot » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:01 am

Pippi Shortstack wrote:
Soren wrote: I'd like to try felt-covered modular blocks some time. That might be the best compromise between destructibility and convenience, since stacking felt could get crazymaking for battles with a lot of verticality.

Hmmmm... I still have a few yards left. You've given me something to think about.

Again. :lol:

Back in the days of my youth, our little group used to cut contoured terrain out of polystyrene blocks you can buy at most hobby stores or retail craft section, and paint them with acryllics and cover them with felt and flock. We did it to create modular terrain so we could have a variety of different shapes on the cheap. It would be fairly easy to carve them into interlocking sections and declare each piece to be the equivalent of six bricks worth of damage.

As always, a fun-to-read play-by-play of your game session. And one that has inspired me to share a recipe for pulled pork later on.
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby DRevD » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:16 pm

Awesome report. Make more :)

Yeah also liked the terrain. Great stuff. *sudden urge to go to hobby lobby*
DRevD
Been Around The Block

Postby Pippi Shortstack » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:53 pm

Dukayn wrote:My reaction to this battle report:

Hee. You're very kind. :oops:

MittenNinja wrote:Man, those effects you added to the photos are friggin perfect! Absolutely love it!

Effects I added to the photos? I don't understand. I just took snaps as they happened. :P (Thanks)

Red_Robot wrote:Back in the days of my youth, our little group used to cut contoured terrain out of polystyrene blocks you can buy at most hobby stores or retail craft section, and paint them with acryllics and cover them with felt and flock. We did it to create modular terrain so we could have a variety of different shapes on the cheap. It would be fairly easy to carve them into interlocking sections and declare each piece to be the equivalent of six bricks worth of damage.

That sounds super cool! I think I'd like to try my hand at this.

Red_Robot wrote:As always, a fun-to-read play-by-play of your game session. And one that has inspired me to share a recipe for pulled pork later on.

Thanks! And I want to check out your pulled pork recipe, too!

DRevD wrote:
Awesome report. Make more :)

Yeah also liked the terrain. Great stuff. *sudden urge to go to hobby lobby*

Thank you! If you do wind up making any felt terrain, please post pictures. I'd be interested to see what you come up with. :D
Pippi Shortstack
Been Around The Block

Postby foe_hawk » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:22 pm

*Golf clap*
This was absolutely everything. The felt terrain is lovely. You've also reminded me that I need to get around to building some stations if I ever want to actually play the game.
Manticore Combat Systems: "Buy now and get 20% more dakka, absolutely free!"
foe_hawk
Talkative

Return to Mobile Frame Battle Reports