First MFZ Game - 1v1 Skirmish

Battle reports and play-by-post games
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

First MFZ Game - 1v1 Skirmish

Postby Dukayn » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:26 am

I finally got to play, woohoo! Just a 1v1 skirmish as that's all I have the bits for at the moment. We both had a lot of fun and definitely want to play again. My mate Kai who played against me is inspired to build his own company now, which is pretty much the goal :) I also have another mate interested in checking out the game so hopefully that'll inspire another builder.

The teams:

133rd Regional Defense Squad (controlled by Me):
Stiletto "Gun Bug" - d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6G d6W d6W
Stiletto "Arty Bug" - d6Ra d6Ra d6Rd d6Rd d6G d6B d6W d6W
Stormcrow - d6Rd d6Rd d6Ra d6Ra d6B d6Y d6W d6W
Husker - d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6Y d6Y d6W d6W d8Rr
Landscript MkII - d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6G d6Y d6W d6W d8Rr
Landscript Saberist - d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6Y d6G d8G d6W d6W d8Rr
Starting Score: 45

Ghost Legion (controlled by Kai):
Laggar Delta - d6Rd d6Rd d6Ra d6Ra d6B d6Y d6W d6W d8Rr
Nightingale - d6Ra d6Ra d6Y d6Y d6B d6W d6W
Commissar - d6Rh d6Rh d6Y d6B d8G d6W d6W
Landmate I - d6Rd d6Rd d6G d6Y d6W d6W d8Rr
Landmate II - d6Rd d6Rd d6G d6B d6Y d6W d6W d8Rr
Orion Parabuthus - d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6Y d6W d6W
Starting Score: 54

Here's the initial layout of both teams after deployment was complete:

Some detail shots of various deployments:
Image Image Image Image

Round 1:
Kai opened fire with the Laggar Delta, popping off an artillery at my "Gun Bug" which was the point frame. He then retreated back close to some nearby cover, keeping just outside of direct fire range from the Gun Bug, which didn't roll enough movement to catch him on it's return fire, and beat a hasty retreat, taking a damage and losing a direct fire attachment in the process. Next up he activated Landmate II, aiming up high for my elevated Landscript. Luckily his attack roll wasn't brilliant and I rolled decent defense so the shot didn't strike home. I returned fire mainly because I didn't want to start chaining off multiple activations in the first phase of the first round, and well because when you get shot at, you shoot back! I managed to get a hit and rolled 1 damage, which he took to the d6Y . It was then the Orion's turn, who moved out of cover to take a shot at my Saber Landscript. He managed to miss on all 3 attack dice (whew!), and I retaliated by charging into HtH and striking off his d6B . Not much else happened during the rest of Kai's activations as there were a lot of missed attacks, but in the end I had 3 unactivated frames which I used to chain-spot and focus fire down his Landmate II, destroying it.

Image Image Image Image Image

End of Round 1 score: Kai 48 - Dukayn 45. Doomsday: 8

Round 2:
For some reason I can't remember the details as clearly in Round 2, but the highlights of this round featured my Landscript Saberist demolishing the Orion with 7 damage dice (a good roll plus a spot, excellent), but in turn getting completely burninated by the Commissar the very next activation as the Orion's death was avenged. My other Landscript also got toppled from his perch as his cover was shot to bits, causing him to lose his d8Rd but otherwise OK. Kai's Landmate I bore the brunt of a couple of attacks, losing all but d6W d8Rr by the end of the round.

Image Image Image

End of Round 2 score: Kai 42 - Dukayn 40. Doomsday: 5

Round 3:
This was the final round even though we didn't hit Doomsday because Kai had to get home to put his kid to bed. Highlights included my remaining Landscript being reduced to d6W d6W d8Rr , the finishing off of Kai's Landmate II, the harrowing of the Nightingale down to d6W d6W and my eventual victory.

Image Image ImageImage Image

End of Round 3 score: Kai 36 - Dukayn 40. Doomsday: 2

Feel free to comment; I'm pretty sure we got the rules all OK, and Kai during a dinner break perused the rulebook and didn't find any glaring mistakes (though we almost forgot that damage which doesn't hit the target hits terrain on 4 & 5 once). Overall we had a really fun game and I look forward to playing it again. Having played with the frames as game pieces I can see I need to fix some stuff up to make some of them more stable (the Nightingale was constantly falling over, it's so top-heavy) but overall everything worked really well. We did have to adjust the ruler down to 6 units because my table is long enough, but has rounded corners while not being round (as you can see it has straight edges on the long side) so diagonally it wasn't the right overall size. I might try next time with a full 8 unit ruler and see how much that changes the gameplay, as we wouldn't have had as much of a hard time getting d6Rd frames into range.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Re: First MFZ Game - 1v1 Skirmish

Postby Mantisking » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:17 pm

Great job keeping track of the whole game. Good luck getting the next guy hooked.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby darksyntax » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:04 pm

Nice report!

Dukayn wrote:Having played with the frames as game pieces I can see I need to fix some stuff up to make some of them more stable (the Nightingale was constantly falling over, it's so top-heavy) but overall everything worked really well. We did have to adjust the ruler down to 6 units because my table is long enough, but has rounded corners while not being round (as you can see it has straight edges on the long side) so diagonally it wasn't the right overall size. I might try next time with a full 8 unit ruler and see how much that changes the gameplay, as we wouldn't have had as much of a hard time getting d6Rd frames into range.

- Actual play is a big influence on my builds. Sturdy game pieces is #1.
- Adjust the ruler to 6 units? Not sure I follow (maybe I'm misunderstanding), but to down scale you'd need to reduce the length of the individual segments, not the count of segments. You need 8 segments to allow for an 8 move (max roll on a d8).
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby Dukayn » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:24 pm

MFZ Rulebook, p.76:
By default, for typical dining room tables, play with a ruler 8 units long, with each unit being 5 studs, 5cm, or 2”.

Your table should measure 4-6 rulers’ lengths diagonally and circular or square. If it’s bigger or smaller, adjust accordingly:
If your table is bigger, increase each unit to 6 or 7cm, 6 or 7studs, or 3”, or else tape off the edges or corners of your table.
If your table is much smaller, decrease the ruler to 6 units long.

If you roll and 8 on movement, you just move the 6 ruler units, then move the ruler to where you ended up and move another 2. It's not rocket science.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Red_Robot » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:01 pm

Yesssss!! Brick Carnage! I love seeing all those scattered bits on the table. Great to see you finally busting out that first game, man. Nice report and good documentation.

I find it interesting when you mention how playing makes you rethink a few of your design choices. There is a bit of a difference between a play piece and a display piece. I have a friend whom I love to bits, but when we first started playing he would so much as touch a frame and it would explode. That shifted my design philosophy as well.
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby Pippi Shortstack » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:49 pm

Red_Robot wrote:I find it interesting when you mention how playing makes you rethink a few of your design choices. There is a bit of a difference between a play piece and a display piece. I have a friend whom I love to bits, but when we first started playing he would so much as touch a frame and it would explode. That shifted my design philosophy as well.

LOL!

This is a great report, Dukayn. It's weird, but I keep thinking everybody on this board has already played a ton of games, but I guess that's not the case. I'm glad you had a chance to play, and even more glad that it seemed like such a fun time. Congrats on a win (called on account of time).

The sniping tower is super-boss, and your documenting shots are terrific!
"Volkodav Industries DBE-02 Medved: If you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherhutcher on your lawn, accept no substitutes." -- M3tschenniy
Pippi Shortstack
Been Around The Block

Postby Dukayn » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks, I wished I'd gotten a few more photos actually, as in the end I just took a photo whenever a frame got destroyed. I'd have also taken one when a station changed ownership but that didn't happen.

Next time I think I'll be taking at least 3 photos per round, plus and end of round photo each round.

I have to say, my favourite part of this game so far (apart from blowing apart Lego constructions) is the chaining of multiple activations in combat order. It's just so well designed and works so well.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Pippi Shortstack » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:45 pm

Dukayn wrote:I have to say, my favourite part of this game so far (apart from blowing apart Lego constructions) is the chaining of multiple activations in combat order. It's just so well designed and works so well.

Especially if you're doing it right. :oops:

But, yeah. It was one of the hardest things I had to sell in my first game, but after the first few activations, my fellow players were all completely in. It's a very clever mechanic, and really adds to the "immediacy" of the combat.
"Volkodav Industries DBE-02 Medved: If you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherhutcher on your lawn, accept no substitutes." -- M3tschenniy
Pippi Shortstack
Been Around The Block

Postby Dukayn » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Pippi Shortstack wrote:adds to the "immediacy" of the combat.

Yeah, I get that. It's like "OK, you've been shot at - what do you do?!" and you have to make the decision right then on the spot.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Hackjob » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:13 pm

If you roll and 8 on movement, you just move the 6 ruler units, then move the ruler to where you ended up and move another 2. It's not rocket science.

Wait, whaaaat? Dercrease the ruler to 6 units? Doesn't that totally throw off the basic range proportions? I.e.- hth= 1/8th direct fire, direct fire ineffective at hth range, direct fire= 1/8th artillery, artillery ineffective at direct fire range. Did you add the extra 2 units to your direct fire range? If you didn't that might be why you had trouble getting into direct fire range. Since with a 6 unit ruler, you could "run faster than a speeding bullet" (kinda). I think the book suggests shortening the "units" from 5 dots to 4 and keeping the ruler 8 units long. This effectively shrinks the entire scale a little, while keeping the same range proportions. The main disadvantage with this is you don't get to use that neat bendy ruler everyone likes, although I expect it wouldn't be too hard to make with technic components.

Otherwise, great battle report!

-Hackjob
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Hackjob wrote:Did you add the extra 2 units to your direct fire range? If you didn't that might be why you had trouble getting into direct fire range. Since with a 6 unit ruler, you could "run faster than a speeding bullet" (kinda).

That's not exactly how movement works but yeah, the shorter DF range likely contributed to being able to stay out of that range. Not that it happened that often, because the table was so much smaller.

Hackjob wrote:I think the book suggests shortening the "units" from 5 dots to 4 and keeping the ruler 8 units long.

I don't know why people keep saying this. Read the below, noting the bold italics bit.
Dukayn wrote:
MFZ Rulebook, p.76:
By default, for typical dining room tables, play with a ruler 8 units long, with each unit being 5 studs, 5cm, or 2”.

Your table should measure 4-6 rulers’ lengths diagonally and circular or square. If it’s bigger or smaller, adjust accordingly:
If your table is bigger, increase each unit to 6 or 7cm, 6 or 7studs, or 3”, or else tape off the edges or corners of your table.
If your table is much smaller, decrease the ruler to 6 units long.

This is directly from the book itself - I have quoted it here verbatim not once but twice now, and still people are saying I went against what it said. If it doesn't make sense to you, fine. But don't try telling me I'm not following the rules of the book when I have provided the exact wording of the rules from the book. As someone who's been involved in this project since the Kickstarter, it's kind of insulting.

Hackjob wrote:Otherwise, great battle report!
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Hackjob » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:21 am

My bad! I don't know how I missed the bold part :oops: . 1,0000 apologies, I meant no offense.

I also now realize that arillery is 4-6 times df range not 8 like I said, so I screwed that up too. :roll:

Again, sorry

-Hackjob
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:23 am

Hey it's cool, I was a little hot under the collar on that post.

Artillery is any range farther than the end of the ruler. No maths involved, just if the ruler touches, it's direct-fire. If it doesn't, it's artillery. Unless of course it's within 1 space in which case it's HtH.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby darksyntax » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:27 pm

Dukayn wrote:I don't know why people keep saying this.

My fault too. I've never used the 'smaller table/ruler' option and honestly forgot about it. All good.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Return to Mobile Frame Battle Reports