Rush & Run the Clock Sim (Now Complete!)

Battle reports and play-by-post games
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Rush & Run the Clock Sim (Now Complete!)

Postby Axhead » Thu May 24, 2012 12:47 am

Axhead wrote:
randolph wrote:* HtH is damned scary, but you need other things to force engagement - I'm deeply intrigued about discovering an effective, HtH-only Attacker company. Come to think of it, I'm curious about an effective HtH-only Defender company, too - you'll be down frames, and if you don't cripple the enemy forces in the initial ambush, you're potentially in for a world of hurt. It seems awfully all-in.

Using my limited powers of deduction, if you are going all HTH you need a way to engage the enemy. Here are the options I see.
1. Chase and Pray for good luck on the dice. Probably a bad idea.
2. Initiative Ambush low ball on attachments and max out on frames, with say just d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6W d6W d8G you should get the initiative on almost everyone and can spot with your whites, while still retaining decent defence. Heck you could even add the occasional d6Y and still have good odds on getting initiative against anyone who isn't explicitly preparing for this list.
3. Rush & Run the Clock The problem with HTH is the other guys run away and shoot you to pieces. So this idea involves preventing them from running away, it is designed for being the Attacker but could also apply when Defending with HTH only troops. The two most valuable things in the game are time and stations, so with that in mind cluster your Attacking Stations as close as possible to the enemy defensive perimeter. Set up to do a maximum swarm (duh) and heres the important part RUN THE CLOCK. You should be able to get all over the enemy stations in the limited time and if any of the enemy get in the way great just tear them up on your way to the Stations. If they run away, great you get to eat up all their stations. With only 3 turns of shooting they should only get 3 of your Mechs (9 Initiative lost) while you ideally pick up all of their stations which swing the VP by 10 per, giving you an estimated net +21 and them a net -9 and thats if you dont even catch anybody.

Rush & Run the Clock Frame: d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6B d6Y d6W d6W d8G

I think Rush & Run the Clock wont work if your opponent knows its comming, she could scatter her stations and disperse her Frames and then choose to NOT count down the clock. But then when ever you go with a dedicated one trick pony and the other person see's it comming you are in trouble.

Now I really want to try this...

So I will. Starting a thread by quoting myself seems a bit egotistical, if I start referring to myself in the third person its time to up my dosage :D

Anyway, lets get the Companies sorted out. Obviously we need to start with:
Rush & Run the Clock Frame 6x d6Rh d6Rh d6Y d6B d6B d6W d6W d8G , and 3 of them will have d8Rr
For a total of 6 Frames, 24 Attachments
vs.
Power Projection Company
PP Grunt 3x d6Rh d6Rd d6B d6Y d6W d6W d8Rr (3 Attachments each)
PP Sniper 2x d6Rd d6Ra d6Y d6Y d6W d6W (3 Attachments each)
PP Recon 1x d6Rd d6Ra d6G d6Y d6W d6W (3 Attachments each)
For a total of 6 Frames, 18 Attachments
This company is designed to have high frame count and low attachments in order to either be the defender or have at least have fire power superiority. The idea with this list is to project fire power using split systems and white dice. They should have initiative against most 6 frame companies, many 5 frame companies and out gun/spot most 4 frame companies.

Starting Initiative
Rush & Run the Clock (R&R) = 9 Assets x 4 Initiative Per Asset = 36 Initiative
Power Projection Company (PPC)= 9 Assets x 6 Initiative Per Asset = 54 Initiative, so as planned and designed the PPC will be defending.
Last edited by Axhead on Sun May 27, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Rush & Run the Clock Sim (in the Brick)

Postby Ced23Ric » Thu May 24, 2012 6:03 am

The PPC is highly tailored towards fighting the R&RtC company - the lack of d6B on those snipers and recons won't show much - because, in melee, they get hit anyway, and there's only 3 shots of d8Rr they need to survive - fine for d6W to handle. As the R&RtC 'frames only spot in DF range, you could pretty much avoid taking damage for a long time. This is gonna get nasty. I still don't see Melee as a truly viable tactic. The need to get close is just too damn limiting.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Axhead » Thu May 24, 2012 10:25 am

Ced23Ric wrote:The PPC is highly tailored towards fighting the R&RtC company - the lack of d6B on those snipers and recons won't show much - because, in melee, they get hit anyway, and there's only 3 shots of d8Rr they need to survive - fine for d6W to handle. As the R&RtC 'frames only spot in DF range, you could pretty much avoid taking damage for a long time. This is gonna get nasty. I still don't see Melee as a truly viable tactic. The need to get close is just too damn limiting.

The R&RtC are gambling that they can win by forcing the clock and rushing the opposing stations, so it doesn't matter if they can catch the opposition or not (they hope). The idea with running the clock is to deny the enemy the time to grind them under fire, especially as they are all d6B d6B .

Something to keep in mind is that on turn 2 the R&RtC should have captured 2 or 3 of the opposing stations, that should be enough to switch the initiative (depending on casualties taken). This means they then go FIRST in the following turn effectively giving them a double move. At that point there should only be 2 turns left in the game.

It might not work, but thats why we experiment: a negative result is as important as a positive.
Last edited by Axhead on Thu May 24, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ced23Ric » Thu May 24, 2012 10:34 am

Agreed and curious about the turn-out. I remain sceptical to any and all HtH scenarios. :D
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Axhead » Thu May 24, 2012 11:29 am

One trick ponies are generally a risky business, and this one doubly so. My personal preference is for combined arms, possibly slanted in a given direction depending on the task at hand. Hopefully I can get the game played tonight and then put the pics up in the next day or two.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randolph » Thu May 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Sure, they can only spot in DF range, but don't underestimate the effectiveness of that combined with SSRs. I know you shouldn't rely on a single d8 for damage, but when you're on the receiving end, you develop a healthy respect - I speak from experience in my own sims ; ;

Without dedicated defense or movement dice (like those snipers), the white dice a) are at a premium, b) have a slightly lower EV for defense than d8s have for damage (2d6 is about 4.47, 1d8 is about 4.5), meaning any Spots that land are, on average, going to result in an equal number of damage dice rolled. Yes, you only get one shot, but to put this in perspective, most frames are not going to be firing every round for 6 rounds. That SSR is already more than 1/6th the uptime of a real attachment for a separate range (on HtH frames). Obviously, the shorter you can make the game, the better that is.

That free d8 movement is also really strong.

I think some of this discussion has been framed assuming near-perfect play with expert visualization of distances - I suspect it's a lot easier for HtH when people aren't setting up zero-choice perimeters and measuring out threat ranges of every enemy unit every round.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Thu May 24, 2012 2:48 pm

randolph wrote:....some good points... I think some of this discussion has been framed assuming near-perfect play with expert visualization of distances - I suspect it's a lot easier for HtH when people aren't setting up zero-choice perimeters and measuring out threat ranges of every enemy unit every round.

With pre-measuring people will still have a solid understanding, all it takes is a sweeping arc of the ruler to see if the bandits can get you or not. The near-perfect play is definately not going to happen, especially if you put in a stop clock once everyone is solid on the rules.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randolph » Thu May 24, 2012 3:04 pm

Axhead wrote:With pre-measuring people will still have a solid understanding, all it takes is a sweeping arc of the ruler to see if the bandits can get you or not.

Well, sure, but if you look at the end of Round 3 in the Diceswap sim - if R1 hadn't taken out Thetis with an SSR, where are X and R1 going to go? They've been running away as fast as they can, but they're cornered (on a circular map, no less :D).
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Thu May 24, 2012 3:17 pm

Family Photos
R&RtC
This photo was taken by an SU satellite and the locational info was transmitted to the PPC troops in the area. Imaging analysts were surprised to see such open movement, and regretted the lack of orbital assets. Intelligence analysts are concerned about the change in tactics from covert ambush to what appears to be preparation for a direct assault.
The d6B d6B is either represented by up-armoured fore legs (the two on the left) or by shield projectors on either side of the turret mounted scanners on top( d6Y ) . The d6Rh d6Rh is depicted on each model by a trans red marker on the front left leg of models with the shielded turrets or on the back left leg with those who have been up-armoured. d8Rr are represented by simple little 3 piece rockets that are carried on the main torso ring by a disposable ejection arm which pops the rocket off to a safe distance before the ignition takes effect. This diminishes the rockets heat signatures disruption on any scanning.

PPC
Taken after the retaking of a section of ridge 247-AH99.6 by the PPC. Note unit S1 in the top left still has signs of battle damage on the frames left leg. These troops are currently preparing for defense, Grunts are preparing positions around their stations while the Sniper/Recon team is dispersing to envelope the expected direction of attack in a cross fire using ambush positions.

Distinctive Markings and Identifications: Team leaders have white "face plates" while troopers have black face plates. The Recon frame (R1) falls under the command of the sniper squad techically but has autonomy of action most of the time. The snipers are grey and tan with blue highlights while the troopers (aka "Grunts") are in green with grey highlight. R1 is mostly in brown but also has been modified with upgraded legs ( d6G ) and has the obvious large antenna.

Kinetic displacement bucklers ( d6B ) are easily seen and used by all team members except the Recon unit, as they give off a fairly distinctive signature and make any form of stealth difficult. The snipers carry twin scan dishes ( d6Y d6Y ) while the Grunts carry a crystalline scan matrix ( d6Y ), all of these systems are back mounted. Single shot rockets are carried horizontally on purpose designed racks and are visible above the heads of the Grunts carrying them. Other members use these racks to carry various forms of stowage, such as wrenches or hatchets to help with severe undergrowth and are pressed into service for QCB. Our analysts doubt the viability of these tools as weapons due to poor quality of materials used (thus no d6Rh for them) but encourage their use amongst colonial troops as it fosters a sense of pride.

Please forgive the crap pics, my camera is mediocre at best and these are taken at night on my dining room table with no special lighting...
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Fri May 25, 2012 9:30 am

Good Morning! Ok the battle is done. I will try to post a couple of turns at lunch, but here are a few real world consideration to get us started:
1. Taking pictures, notes, making all the decisions and last minute stations plus setting up terrain by myself took a long time. I started at 9:30pm and finished at 2:00am! This is even with preparing as much as possible in advance.
2. Some frames are fragile, I broke at least one Conscript a turn. Knocking off arms, breaking hip joints etc. My leg design on the Recon was especially fragile, and I knocked him over at least 3 times by hitting his big antenna while reaching for something else. This leads to minor changes in position of the frames (and occasional tree), not a big deal but something to keep in mind. After a while I started marking positions with dice to keep it as accurate as possible.
3. Having it all done in the brick was hugely rewarding and looked very cool.
4. Blowing up terrain and tearing off limbs, priceless.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Fri May 25, 2012 2:13 pm

And it begins:
The defenders set up:
You can see my ruler on the right hand side, each unit is 4 long. The table (green and brown area is 3.5 x 4 rulers in size.
The hills count as indestrucable cover, but dont affect movement.
The woods count as cover and difficult terrain (-1 White with no Green)
The river is impassable without a Green, but gives no cover.
The bridge has no effect on movement or cover.
The ford counts as difficult and gives no cover.
The shelled ruins on the west edge are normal brick terrain.

The Attackers Set Up
The white zone shows the DF distance from the defenders stations.
The red zone shows the DF distance from the 2 defending frames.
All of the Attackers Stations (4,5,6) are tightly grouped on the north end. I would have put them in the corner but since the ideal table is a circle, that seemed not in keeping with the spirit of the rules.
I wanted the attackers to rush in a group so they could provide d6B d6B cover to one another. This was a bad idea, partly because the opposition would focus fire on the frame which wasn't behind the others. Another reason is that it gave the attackers too much freedom over most of the table.

Action Shots
I1 and I2 guarding their stations (note that both have d8Rr ):

G2's Frame eye view of the approaching Ijadi Phalanx:
In the above picture the Brown dice are used to identify the Ijadi.
I only used dice for G2 and G3 because I felt that the rest of the PPC are distinct enough on their own.

The Phalanx's perspective on G2. I am guessing that G2 is feeling mightly lonely at this point :twisted:

Defenders Finish Setting Up
The snipers and recon elements set up with commanding views. If I had put them up on the 2nd level of the hills they would have overlooked opposing cover.
S1 is placed to cover Station 1, although he is hanging in the breeze in terms of support. Thats what brave seargents are for right ;)
Here you can see that if I had put the Ijadi in an arc around the red zone that, the snipers and recon would have had to set up inside the defensive perimeter or be VERY vulnerable to a turn 1 rush and d8Rr fire.

Defender Details
The Snipers (S1 has the white face plate and "damaged" left leg):

Recon takes up a reverse slope position (old gaming habits die hard, in this case it isn't necessary as there will be no incomming fire):
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Fri May 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Turn 1
S2 fires at I4 (the point frame): 4 d6Ra , 6 d6Y , 2 d6Y , 3 d6W ,3 d6W +selects+ 4 d6Ra , 3 d6B , 6 d6Y , 3 d6G.
I4 charges G2: 6 d6Rh , 3 d6Rh , 6 d6B , 3 d6B , 3 d6Y , 5 d8G , 3 d6W , 2 d6W +selects+ 6 d6Rh , 6 d6B , 3 d6Y , 5 d6G
S2's shot bounces of the heavy armour of I4 ( 4-6=0 Hits ), but puts a 6 d6Y on I4.
I4 is 1 span short of contacting G2 so it uses its attack smashing through the trees G2 was using as cover. I don't know if that is legal but it looked awesome:
I4 places a 4 d6Y on G2.

G2 fires at I4: 5 d6Rd , 6 d6B , 5 d6Y , 6 d6W , 5 d6W +selects+ 6 d6Rd , 6 d6B , 5 d6Y , 5 d6G (a nearly optimal activation for him)
Fire resolution: 6 d6Rd + 6 d6Y - 6 d6B = 6 Hits (!): 1,1,1,1,2,5 = 1 damage I4 looses its d6Y (holy anti climatic damage roll batman!)
With a 6 spot it might have been a good time to use the d8Rr , but the PPC has a lot of pain on order for I4 so it seemed like over kill.

G2 falls back and drops his spot on I4:
Note: An interesting side effect of shooting and scooting with direct fire weapons is that if you go too far from the target you can loose your Spot.

time to get back to work, more to come later.
Last edited by Axhead on Fri May 25, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Rush & Run the Clock Sim (Now with Set up pics!)

Postby randolph » Fri May 25, 2012 2:58 pm

This is great! I especially love the use of bricks to show a "dotted line perimeter."
Axhead wrote:I4 is 1 span short of contacting G2 so it uses its attack smashing through the trees G2 was using as cover. I don't know if that is legal but it looked awesome:

Technically, no, you have to declare your [frame or cover] target prior to rolling, and if you're out of range, you're out of luck.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Fri May 25, 2012 3:50 pm

Thanks!
randolph wrote:Technically, no, you have to declare your [frame or cover] target prior to rolling, and if you're out of range, you're out of luck.

I thought that was the case but was too into it to look it up (no hard copy of the rules on hand), and at the end of the day only trees were affected. Stupid trees must dies! :evil: *edit:* Oh wait, if he hadn't destroyed the trees he would have had cover and would have lived for 1 more turn... :oops: Thats what I get for cheating me :lol:

I have the rest of the pics done but wont get them up until tonight.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Fri May 25, 2012 7:14 pm

Continuing Turn 1
G3 fires his d8Rr at I4: 2 d6Rd , 3 d8Rr , 1 d6B , 6 d6Y , 3 d6W , 3 d6W +selects+ 3 d8Rr , 3 d6B , 6 d6Y , 3 d6G
Damage = 3 d8Rr + 5 d6Y - 6 d6B = 2 Hits which roll 2 & 3 for a miss.
G3 misses his shot at I4:

G1 fires his d8Rr at I4: 1 d6Rd , 7(!) d8Rr , 3 d6B , 6 d6Y , 6 d6W , 1 d6W (nice roll!) +selects+ 7 d8Rr , 3 d6B , 6 d6Y ,6 d6G .
G1 falls back to the ruins which hold station 1, then shoots:
I4 has already gone so we have: 7 d8Rr + 3 d6Y - 6 d6B = 4 Hits. Damage rolls 3, 3, 4, 5 for 1 damage. I4 looses a d6B .
NOTE: I just realized that I left the old Yellow dice in place and so robbed PPC of 3 more Hit rolls on I4 :oops:
Finally he puts his 6 d6Y on I4.
G1 damages I4:

ok dinner time, so stay tuned true believers (and vile heretics)

S1 fires on I4: 3 d6Ra , 3 d6Y ,3 d6Y , 1 d6W , 1 d6W (and the PPC dice luck balances out) +selects+ 3 d6Ra , 1 d6B (nobody has the range on him), 3 d6Y , 3 d6G.
Hits on I4 = 3 d6Ra + 6 d6Y - 6 d6B = 3 Hits, which roll 2, 3 & 5 removing I4s 2nd d6B d6B .
S1 doesn't move then Spots I4.

R1 fires on I4: 5 d6Ra , 1 d6G , 5 d6W ,5 d6W , 5 d6W +selects+ 5 d6Ra, 5 d6B and 5 d6G .
Damage = 5 d6Ra + 3 d6Y - 6 d6B = 2 Hits rolling 3, 5 causing 1 damage so I4 looses his ( d6Rh d6Rh ), and is now down to his tighty Whiteys.
R1 doesn't move and has no one in direct fire range for his spot. He probably should have started moving up this turn, but didn't. Maybe those Ijad look scary...

I5 (no target in potential range): 1 d6B, 5 d6Y , 5 d8G , 5 d6W , 4 d6W +selects+ 5 d6B , 5 d6Y , 5 d8G.
I5 splashes down the stream as playfully as a multi ton killing machine can, the put the 5 d6Y on G1.

I3 shoots d8Rr at G1: 1 d8Rr (boo!), 4 d6B , 2 d6B , 2 d6Y , 2 d8G , 4 d6W , 3 d6W +selects+ 3 d8Rr , 4 d6B , 2 d6Y , 4 d8G
I3 moves first then fires for: 3 d8Rr + 5 d6Y - 3 d6B = 5 Hits rolling: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 for Cover, d6Y Yellow then d6B Blue, pretty decent.
I3 lights up G1 for 2 damage and "de-covers" him:
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Rush & Run the Clock Sim (Turn 1 pics posted!)

Postby Axhead » Fri May 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Continuing Turn 1

I6 (no target): 5 d6B , 5 d6B , 1 d6Y , 3 d8G , 6 d6W , 1 d6W +selects+ 5 d6B , 6 d8G
Even after moving up beside I5 in the river, I6 has no one in range for a spot.

I1 advances and fires a d8Rr at G1: 3 d8Rr , 3 d6B , 2 d6B , 7 d8G , 6 d6W , 6 d6W +selects+ 6 d8Rr , 3 d6B , 6 d6Y , 7 d6G
One of the nice things about not having the Initiative is that unactivated frames don't need to worry about decent defence, this lets them really unload on the opposition when they get a chance:
6 d8Rr + 2 d6Y - 3 d6B = 5 Hits (!) rolling 3, 3, 4, 4, 5 and taking off G1's d6Rh d6Rd attachment. If only that had been a HTH attack, it would have finished him off.
Another d8Rr strike on G1, which blows off his gun:

I2 Activates, but can only Spot G2 if he rolls an 8 for movement. He gets a 7 d8G and is well positioned for next turn.

END OF TURN 1
Note: S2 on the left (marked with 2 Damage) is mis-labeled and should be G1.
At this point no frames have been destroyed and no stations have changed hands. Damage done is nearly equal, but R&R have done most of their damage with SSRs but only have 1 remaining. On the flip side R&R are poised to take 1 or 2 stations on Turn 2...

Here we have a better shot of the main action:
Sadly I am clearly unable to label G1 as G1, here it is as S1 again :cry: ... Please donate generously to the help Axhead Spell G1 fund.
*edit* oh and R&R doesn't have Station 1 (yet)... horray me!
Last edited by Axhead on Fri May 25, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Fri May 25, 2012 11:38 pm

Start of Turn 2
At this point PPC still has the initiative.
G1 activates:3 d8G , 6 d6W , 1 d6W +selects+ 1 d6Y , 6 d8G . He takes discretion over valour and runs away, then Spots I2.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randolph » Fri May 25, 2012 11:38 pm

DDC status?
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 pm

randolph wrote:DDC status?

Excellent point!
So for the end of turn 1:
It starts at 11.
It counts down by 1 automatically, PPC counts it down 1 (they have the most Initiative), R&R counts it down as well (following the R&RtC strategy outlined above.
It ends at 8.

So there will be between 3 and 8 more turns with 4 or 5 being the most likely.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Rush & Run the Clock Sim (Turn 2 pics posted!)

Postby Axhead » Sat May 26, 2012 12:56 am

Turn 2 Continues
Here we have a badly battered G1 backing away... is this cowardice or a clever ruse?

G3 targets I4 (who is feeling very unloved at this point): 3 d6Rd , 1 d6B , 1 d6Y , 3 d6W , 2 d6W +selects+ 3 d6Rd , 1 d6B (uh oh), 3 d6Y , 2 d6G
I4 targets G2: 5 d6B , 6 d6W , 1 d6W +selects+ 6 d6B d6B (expecting the lead to rain down), 1 d6Y , 5 d8G
So G3s shot does 3 d6Rd - d6B = nothing. G3 then puts the 3 d6Y on I4 (at least thats what I think happened based on the photo evidence and my less than perfect notes). He doesn't move, resolutely holding his ground and blazing away (ineffectively due to bad dice) at the enemy!
I4 moves up and TAKES STATION 2. Then puts 1 d6Y on G2. Initiative is now PPC 8 assets @ 6 per = 48, R&R 10 Assests @ 4 per = 40. Initiative doesn't change.

Here we have I4 taking Station 2:

S3 fires at I2: 4 d6Ra , 4 d6Y , 3 d6Y , 5 d6W , 3 d6W +selects+ 5 d6Rd , 0 d6B , 4 d6Y , 3 d6G .

I2 charges at G2: 3 d6Rh , 2 d6Rh , 5 d6B , 3 d6B , 4 d6Y , 8 d8G , 2 d6W , 1 d6W +selects+ 3 d6Rh , 5 d6B , 4 d6Y , 8 d8G.
S3 gets 5 d6Ra + 1 d6Y - 5 d6B = 1 Hit which rolls a 5, but I2 gets cover from I5 so the Hit is discarded! Yaaah for double blue!
I2's crazy movement roll lets the highly optimistic charge go through!

G2 stands his ground and does HTH against I2!: 6 d6Rh , 6 d6B , 4 d6Y , 5 d6W ,3 d6W +selects+ 6 d6Rh , 6 d6B , 4 d6Y , 3 d6G .
I2 gets 3 d6Rh +1 d6Y - 6 d6B = Nothing, then puts his 4 d6Y on G2. Clearly his charges was slowed by the hail depleted uranium rounds tearing through his chasis:
G2 gets 6 d6B + 4 d6Y - 5 d6B = 5 Hits rolling 1,1,3,4,5 taking a d6Y and a d6B off of I2. Pretty dramatic stuff, and here is the photo to prove it!

I2 takes two hits as G2 stands his ground bravely:

S2 shells I2: 1 d6Ra , 5 d6Y ,4 d6Y , 2 d6G ,5 d6Y ,3 d6Y +selects+ 5 d6Ra , 0 d6B, 5 d6Y , 3 d6G .
His shots miss entirely, but he the puts 5 d6Y on I2... Here I4 was acting as cover for I2, but all Hits rolled 4 or less. Although I4 is more damaged, he has higher defense than I2. If any of the shots caused damage on I4 it would be a bonus, its kind of like using the spot on I2 to improve fire on both the hostile frames :twisted: . This might seem a bit "gamey" but we are talking about rounds which NEVER need LOS, so I assume they are 'smart' (I imagine them taking crazy looping arcing trajectories the targets) and are guided by scans. The fact that more than 1 hostile is in the "scan zone" just increases the effectiveness of the smart rounds overall.

R1 also shells I2: 3 d6Ra , 1 d6G , 5 d6W ,5 d6W +selects+ 5 d6Ra , 5 d6G .
R1 gets 5 d6Ra + 5 d6Y - 5 d6B = 5 Hits rolling 1,1,2,2,4. That's two crap sets of damage rolls in a row :x
R1then advances off the ridge to place the 5 d6Y . Looking back at the map this is clearly an illegal spot as it is vastly out of range. I must have thought he had double yellow. At least this balances the spot I forgot for PPC earlier in the game and kind of balances things out.

R1 moves forward to threaten the R&R Stations:

I1 tries to charge G1 but doesn't roll well enough. I1 does manage to take Station 1 though:
Initiative is now: PPC 7 assets @ 6 per = 42, R&R 11 Assests @ 4 per = 44. INITIATIVE CHANGES.

The rest of the R&R moves can't make contact and are attempts to set up charges for next turn.

I5 moves up the stream reinforcing I2 and I4 near Station 2:

I3 & I6 take the bait and veer off after R1. This will prove to be a tactical victory and a strategic mistake...

TURN 2 ENDS, apparently in very blurry fashion:
I forgot to add damage on this pic, so to summarize from left to right:
G1:3 Damage (down to Whites).
G2: 2 Damage(Gun and Whites)
I2: 2 Damage (Red, Blue and Whites remain)
I4: 4 Damage (down to Whites)

Dooms Day Clock:
Starts at 8.
Counts down by 1, R&R counts it down by as per strategy, PPC does not count it down (they are now loosing and it looks like they will have a hard time getting stations back and have yet to kill anything)
Ends at 6.

Turn 2 commentary
At this point I was really happy with how the R&R were doing, no frames lost, two stations taken and roughly on par for damage inflicted.
What has me a little nervous is that the DDC is not going as planned, the R&R have taken too much too soon. Still they are winning so its all good right?
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Battle Reports