Battle Sim: WT Doctrine (split from Battle Sims - Your Comp)

Battle reports and play-by-post games
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Battle Sim: WT Doctrine (split from Battle Sims - Your Comp)

Postby randolph » Sat May 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Tetrajak graciously offered to run sims for our companies over in his thread. WangTech IP 88th OoCS' skirmish against the Blue Death resulted in a rather painful thrashing, so I wanted to re-run the sim myself, hopefully squeezing out some doctrinal insights and game mechanics nuances.

I'll be posting each step here, with my reasoning, and ask you, dear reader, to check my work (if it pleases you), to keep me honest - I'm not interested in "my team" winning, only insight-dense data.

Yellow frame labels denote unspent SSRs, white frame labels denote no SSRs (left).

Initial Defender placement:
Setup_D1.png
Setup_D1.png (254.95 KiB) Viewed 4354 times

* Defender stations within DF range - check
* Two initial Defender frames within Defensive Perimeter - check
This leaves the green hex as the only legal placement for the Attacker's point frame.

Initial Attacker placement:
Setup_O.png
Setup_O.png (254 KiB) Viewed 4354 times

Per afny's instructions:
* Ares as point frame (only one legal position) - check
* Nimrod near it - check (I put it in cover as well, and not adjacent to the Ares so it doesn't allow the Defender to spray 'n' pray at both of them)
* Thetis, Peleus, Demeter close to each other, just outside defensive perimeter of vulnerable station - check
* Just outside of range of enemy long range attacker - fail - the only Defender this would apply to is R1, and if I put T, P, and D next to A and N, 1) they'll all be taking cover damage from each other, 2) this prevents the Attackers from herding the defenders, since there'd be no flank. afny (or anyone), if this isn't the best play for the Attackers, let me know how I should change it up.
* Cybele last, as safely as possible - check? - The safest place to me for pure Artillery/Spot, knowing that the opponent can place the rest of his frames anywhere, would be 1) in cover from the existing enemy frames, and 2) near deterrents. If I redid it as a single giant clump near the Ares, the deterrent could instead be "every other frame there." Again, let me know if I should change this.
* Attacker Stations outside of Direct Fire range of Defender frames - check - they're all near Attacker frames and towards the center of the map, to reduce edge-kiting advantages.

Final Defender placement:
Setup_D2.png
Setup_D2.png (254.49 KiB) Viewed 4354 times

The final four frames have cover from Cybele, and are a long trek for everything else.

Please help me by letting me know if anything's not legit - it's the only way I can ensure useful analysis. After I correct for any posted objections, I will be running this sim at least twice - swapping the Defense and Offense's dice pool results the second time to analyze the effect of diceluck, especially given the higher-than-normal variance built into my company design.

Thanks in advance!
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Battle Sim: WT Doctrine (split from Battle Sims - Your C

Postby Axhead » Sun May 20, 2012 12:09 am

I think the attackers should be trying to hem you in more. Specifically move two frames to the other side of the your deployment zone to ensure you have no where to run to without opposition. That way if you try play a scattered field, he has more ground covered and hope to use inside lines to his advantage.

Also you don't need to set up your remaining frames in your defensive area. They can go anywhere... so since you want to be far away and can shoot anywhere on the table you should put them as far from the bad guys and as widely dispersed as possible. This way you wont need to focus on moving at the beginning. Once you do this your only threat is Cybele and you should be able to wreck that frame on your first turn, especially since you go first. After that is done, you wont need to focus and defense and can switch to movement in order to stay out of HTH with the "bad guys".

Just my two centi-peaches ;)

ps I am looking forward to seeing how this goes.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randolph » Sun May 20, 2012 12:57 am

Axhead wrote:I think the attackers should be trying to hem you in more. Specifically move two frames to the other side of the your deployment zone to ensure you have no where to run to without opposition. That way if you try play a scattered field, he has more ground covered and hope to use inside lines to his advantage.

I think afny wanted to have (no more than) two groups because splitting into three groups would mean that the last group would be a frame by itself or 1 frame + Cybele - and Cybele wants to be as far away from everybody as possible. Am I misunderstanding you? Where would you deploy the Blue Death given my initial Defender setup?

Axhead wrote:Also you don't need to set up your remaining frames in your defensive area. They can go anywhere... so since you want to be far away and can shoot anywhere on the table you should put them as far from the bad guys and as widely dispersed as possible. This way you wont need to focus on moving at the beginning. Once you do this your only threat is Cybele and you should be able to wreck that frame on your first turn, especially since you go first. After that is done, you wont need to focus and defense and can switch to movement in order to stay out of HTH with the "bad guys".

That's true, and if the Attackers stay in two groups (like they are now), I just put everyone on the far side of the map vs. if the Attackers split into three groups, I put myself on the opposite side of the map, ignoring the position of the single frame (or single + artillery). I'd be moving about 90 degrees clockwise, which would be about 4 hexes further, so a little under an extra turn of reprieve, on average.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Sun May 20, 2012 1:58 am

randolph wrote:I think afny wanted to have (no more than) Where would you deploy the Blue Death given my initial Defender setup?

Ares seems to be the point man, so he would stay where he is. Thetis and Peleus would go in the middle of the red arcs on either side of the defensive zone. Nimrod would set up between Ares and Thetis on the western flank, Demeter would go on the east between Ares and Peleus and Cybele would go way to the south in cover (hoping you don't have any HTH ambushers to set up, which in this case is correct). Being HTH heavy he is trying to draw in the defenders, so I think placing his stations close to Thetis and Peleus would be a good idea normally. But in this case with your company design, you are going to opt to shoot first and take stations later so you shouldn't be tempted by station grabs if it means he gets his mitts on you. I think HTH forces are only viable if they are the defender, so you should have the advantage when you are defending.

randolph wrote:That's true, and if the Attackers stay in two groups (like they are now), I just put everyone on the far side of the map vs. if the Attackers split into three groups, I put myself on the opposite side of the map, ignoring the position of the single frame (or single + artillery). I'd be moving about 90 degrees clockwise, which would be about 4 hexes further, so a little under an extra turn of reprieve, on average.
I think you want to scatter your guys to the wind, as far as possible and as widely scattered as possible. You are playing Mongols not Marines, there is no need for your force to stay close and many reasons not to... especially against a bunch of HTH thugs like these guys. You can spot anywhere and shoot anywhere, so do exactly that.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randolph » Sun May 20, 2012 3:48 am

Axhead wrote:Ares seems to be the point man, so he would stay where he is. Thetis and Peleus would go in the middle of the red arcs on either side of the defensive zone. Nimrod would set up between Ares and Thetis on the western flank, Demeter would go on the east between Ares and Peleus and Cybele would go way to the south in cover (hoping you don't have any HTH ambushers to set up, which in this case is correct). Being HTH heavy he is trying to draw in the defenders, so I think placing his stations close to Thetis and Peleus would be a good idea normally. But in this case with your company design, you are going to opt to shoot first and take stations later so you shouldn't be tempted by station grabs if it means he gets his mitts on you. I think HTH forces are only viable if they are the defender, so you should have the advantage when you are defending.

Axhead wrote:I think you want to scatter your guys to the wind, as far as possible and as widely scattered as possible. You are playing Mongols not Marines, there is no need for your force to stay close and many reasons not to... especially against a bunch of HTH thugs like these guys. You can spot anywhere and shoot anywhere, so do exactly that.

Setup_D2-rev1.png
Setup_D2-rev1.png (254.34 KiB) Viewed 4328 times

So something like this for the Attackers?

For the final Defender placement, after spreading the Attackers out like that, way up in the Defensive Perimeter is the only place out of reach of a lucky movement roll from A/D/P/T. I could put some Defenders near Cybele to get a similar effect, but Nimrod has a lot of reach (when I shaded in the total potential force projection available from 1-6 movement + 8 range on d6Rd on a map of this size... makes you wonder whether d6Ra is even worth it :p). Final positioning was informed by available cover.

If it looks like I gave the Attackers a properly-optimized deployment, I'll start the sim.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Sun May 20, 2012 12:51 pm

randolph wrote:So something like this for the Attackers?

Yup that looks good for the attackers. For the defenders I would have put the remaining defenders around the edge of table OUT of the defensive perimeter. Why are you deliberately putting most of your force in the enemy killing pocket? If you are worried about defending your stations don't you should be able to pick up most Blue Deaths stations and retreive your own starting around turn 4.

randolph wrote:For the final Defender placement, after spreading the Attackers out like that, way up in the Defensive Perimeter is the only place out of reach of a lucky movement roll from A/D/P/T. I could put some Defenders near Cybele to get a similar effect, but Nimrod has a lot of reach (when I shaded in the total potential force projection available from 1-6 movement + 8 range on d6Rd on a map of this size... makes you wonder whether d6Ra is even worth it :p). Final positioning was informed by available cover.

Yup direct fire and move takes on a big area, but with artillery its always bigger. Yes bad guys can get inside the range of an artillery frame, but if you spread out your artillery frames an opponent can only get inside the range of one while all of its friends pound away. Think of multiple snipers defending an area with overlapping fields of fire, each one shoots at the guys going after his friends.

YOU have the initiative right, so use it. If Nimrod is what scares you the most kill him on turn 1. This is probably a good idea, because once he is gone (or at least mostly gone) Cybele is no longer much of a threat as her spots can only be used by HTH guys which are only a threat if they get within 1 span of you... Which means you are probably dead anyway.

randolph wrote:If it looks like I gave the Attackers a properly-optimized deployment, I'll start the sim.

I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just one guy with some opinions which might not be correct.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Sun May 20, 2012 12:54 pm

randolph wrote:So something like this for the Attackers?

Yup that looks good for the attackers. For the defenders I would have put the remaining defenders around the edge of table OUT of the defensive perimeter. Why are you deliberately putting most of your force in the enemy killing pocket? By doing so you are bunching up for a Swarmer slaughter house. If you are worried about defending your stations don't you should be able to pick up most Blue Deaths stations and retreive your own starting around turn 4. With your frilled lizzards, you really need to think of Mongol/Saracen/Hun/Scythian heck even Soviet tactics: Give up land to kill the enemy, because once they are dead you can just go and take the land back later. Fighting over stations you can't keep will only loose you the game, that is what the OTHER GUY wants to do and doing what your opposition wants is never a good thing.

randolph wrote:For the final Defender placement, after spreading the Attackers out like that, way up in the Defensive Perimeter is the only place out of reach of a lucky movement roll from A/D/P/T. I could put some Defenders near Cybele to get a similar effect, but Nimrod has a lot of reach (when I shaded in the total potential force projection available from 1-6 movement + 8 range on d6Rd on a map of this size... makes you wonder whether d6Ra is even worth it :p). Final positioning was informed by available cover.

Yup direct fire and move takes on a big area, but with artillery its always bigger. Yes bad guys can get inside the range of an artillery frame, but if you spread out your artillery frames an opponent can only get inside the range of one while all of its friends pound away. Think of multiple snipers defending an area with overlapping fields of fire, each one shoots at the guys going after his friends.

YOU have the initiative right, so use it. If Nimrod is what scares you the most kill him on turn 1. This is probably a good idea, because once he is gone (or at least mostly gone) Cybele is no longer much of a threat as her spots can only be used by HTH guys which are only a threat if they get within 1 span of you... Which means you are probably dead anyway.

randolph wrote:If it looks like I gave the Attackers a properly-optimized deployment, I'll start the sim.

I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just one guy with some opinions which might not be correct. I am as keen as you to learn how to play better, this game has a giga-ton of tactical and strategic depth. I am more excited about MFZ than anything else I have seen for a LONG time.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randolph » Sun May 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Axhead wrote:Yup that looks good for the attackers.
Cool.

Axhead wrote:For the defenders I would have put the remaining defenders around the edge of table OUT of the defensive perimeter. Why are you deliberately putting most of your force in the enemy killing pocket? By doing so you are bunching up for a Swarmer slaughter house.
I originally put Defenders up north because of the shape/position of the Attackers' potential projected force (green-shaded area in the image below) - at least, until you pointed out "If you're so worried about the Nimrod, kill it first." That was a good call; by hitting that first, I can guarantee that it doesn't get a spot and make sure everyone is out of range or in cover, more-or-less letting me ignore the Nimrod's presence on the first activation - after which it will be dead.

Axhead wrote:This is probably a good idea, because once [Nimrod] is gone (or at least mostly gone) Cybele is no longer much of a threat as her spots can only be used by HTH guys which are only a threat if they get within 1 span of you... Which means you are probably dead anyway.
Well, Cybele is still a threat so long as it has Artillery range, because those HtH frames will get close enough to spot for it. I set up the final four Defender frames as a compromise - 3 of them start in the Cybele's Artillery dead zone, the last one outside of it because I don't want to clump that tightly. At least it won't have been spotted yet when I force Cybele to activate.

Axhead wrote:I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just one guy with some opinions which might not be correct. I am as keen as you to learn how to play better, this game has a giga-ton of tactical and strategic depth. I am more excited about MFZ than anything else I have seen for a LONG time.
Well, you've already pointed out things I hadn't considered, so thanks! Nobody else seems to have input, so let's just roll with this:
Setup_D2-rev2.png
Setup_D2-rev2.png (252.18 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mantisking » Sun May 20, 2012 7:06 pm

randolph wrote:Initial Defender placement:
Setup_D1.png

This leaves the green hex as the only legal placement for the Attacker's point frame.

Nope. Read page 70 again, the second bullet point in specific. The Point Frame only has to be within DF range of one of the Defender's frames.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby randolph » Sun May 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Mantisking wrote:
randolph wrote:Initial Defender placement:
Setup_D1.png

Nope. Read page 70 again, the second bullet point in specific. The Point Frame only has to be within DF range of one of the Defender's frames.

Right. And there's only one Defender frame that's close enough to the edge of the Defensive Perimeter that being in Direct Fire range of it from outside the Defensive perimeter is even possible, and thus, only one legal position, period.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randolph » Mon May 21, 2012 12:13 am

Round 1
Round1_start.png
Round1_start.png (251.66 KiB) Viewed 4284 times

Round1_end.png
Round1_end.png (254.35 KiB) Viewed 4284 times

Frame designation in yellow: Frame has SSR
Frame designation in white: Frame has no SSR
Blue number: Defense
Yellow number: Spot
Red number: Destroyed systems
Red "x": Destroyed section of cover

(1) Defender activates R1, declaring Artillery target: cover north of Attacker Nimrod
d6Ra 4 d6Y 3 d6Y 2 d6G 5 d6W 1 d6W 2 = d6Ra 4 d6Y 3 d6G 5 d6B 2
(1a) Artillery 4 + Spot 0 - Defense 0 = Damage 4: 4d6 (2, 5, 2, 5): 2x damage (12 pieces of cover)
(1b) Move 5
(1c) Spot Nimrod (3)

(2) Defender activates R2, declaring Direct target: Nimrod (firing SSR)
d6Rd 4 d8Rr 1 d6Y 4 d6Y 3 d6G 1 d6W 5 d6W 1 = d6Rd 4 d6Y 4 d6G 1 d6B 5

> (3) Attacker defends with Nimrod, declaring Direct target: R2
d6Rd 3 d6Rd 3 d8Rd 4 d6Y 4 d6G 6 d6W 6 d6W 6 = d6Rd 4 d6Y 6 d6G 6 d6B 6 (!!)*
* I felt that one damage roll (6 attack vs. 5 defense, in cover) and a Spot 4 was worse than putting a Spot 6 on the target for a much bigger potential attack.

(2a) Direct 4 + Spot 3 - Defense 6 = Damage 1: 1d6 (1): miss
(2b) Move 0
(2c) Spot Nimrod (4)

> (3) Attacker continues Nimrod activation
(3a) Direct 4 + Spot 0 - Defense 5 = No Damage
(3b) Move 5
(3c) Spot R3 (6)

(4) Defender activates X, declaring Artillery target: Nimrod
d6Ra 1 d6Y 2 d6Y 2 d6W 1 d6W 1 = d6Ra 1 d6Y 2 d6G 1 d6B 1
(4a) Artillery 1 + Spot 0 (not using the Spot die) - Defense 6 = No Damage
(4b) Move 0
(4c) Spot Cybele (1)

(5) Defender activates F2, declaring Artillery target: Nimrod
d6Ra 3 d6Y 1 d6Y 6 d6G 2 d6W 6 d6W 3 = d6Ra 6 d6Y 6 d6G 2 d6B 3
(5a) Artillery 6 + Spot 4 - Defense 6 = Damage 4: 4d6 (5, 5, 1, 4): Remove cover (4), 2x Systems Destroyed (5, 5): Movement, Spot*
(5b) Move 0
(5c) Spot Nimrod (6)
* Let me know if this was the wrong move - all the other Attacking frames can spot through cover, movement is less important on a DF frame, and the only reason the Defenders are afraid of Nimrod is the double DF systems, which I'm leaving on.

(6) Defender activates R3, declaring Direct target: Nimrod (firing SSR)
d6Rd 6 d8Rr 4 d6Y 4 d6Y 6 d6G 6 d6W 6 d6W 1 = d6Rd 6 d6Y 6 d6G 6 d6B 6 (holy cow)
(6a) Artillery 6 + Spot 6 - Defense 6 = Damage 6: 6d6 (6, 1, 1, 5, 6, 1): Remove cover (5), 2x Systems Destroyed (6, 6): Direct x2
(6b) Move 0
(6c) Spot Cybele (6)

(7) Defender activates F1, declaring Direct target: Cybele
d6Rd 3 d6Y 4 d6Y 5 d6G 5 d6W 5 d6W 4 = d6Rd 5 d6Y 5 d6G 5 d6B 4

> (8) Attacker defends with Cybele, declaring Artillery target: X
d6Ra 6 d6Ra 2 d8Ra 1 d6Y 2 d6Y 2 d6W 3 d6W 4 = d6Ra 6 d6Y 2 d6G 3 d6B 4

(7a) Direct 5 + Spot 6 - Defense 4 = Damage 7: 7d6 (5, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 1): 2x Systems Destroyed (5, 5): Spot x2*
(7b) Move 0
(7c) Spot n/a (this is the final Defender frame)
* Removing 2x Spot, because the HtH will be able to spot everyone they're chasing, with none of the Defenders being a higher priority target than any other, while keeping the Attackers' Artillery presence.

> (8) Attacker continues Cybele activation
(8a) Artillery 6 + Spot 0 - Defense 1 = Damage 5: 5d6 (4, 3, 3, 2, 6): Remove cover (4), 1x System Destroyed (6): Spot
(8b) Move 3
(8c) Spot R2 (2)*
* R2 is the only frame without a better Spot on it that Ares can hit in Direct Range with a Move roll lower than 5; meanwhile every other Defender frame is well out of HtH range by design.

(9) Attacker activates Ares, declaring Direct target: R2 (firing SSR)*
d6Rd 4 d6Rd 6 d8Rr 7 d6B 1 d6W 3 d6W 4 = d6Rd 7 d6Y 4 d6G 3 d6B 1**
(9a) Move 3
(9b) Direct 7 + Spot 2 - Defense 5 = Damage 4: 4d6 (5, 1, 2, 4): Remove cover (4), 1 System Destroyed (5): Spot***
(9c) Spot R2 (4)****
* R2 is 3 units away, and though R3 has a better spot, it's 4 units away; with only 2d6 movement pool, it's a gamble - I'd rather have a higher probability to actually roll for damage.
** As it turns out, Ares could have moved 4 using White, but I didn't know that in advance.
*** I think I need the movement more than I need global spot
**** No Defenders are reachable by HtH frames this round, even with a Move 8, but some are in range of movement+SSRs.

(10) Attacker activates Thetis, declaring Direct target: R2 (firing SSR)*
d8Rr 6 d6Y 1 d8G 6 d6B 5 d6W 3 d6W 1 = d6Rd 6 d6Y 3 d6G 6 d6B 5
(10a) Move 6
(10b) Direct 6 + Spot 4 - Defense 5 = Damage 5: 5d6 (5, 4, 3, 2, 2): Remove cover (4), 1x System Destroyed (5): Movement**
(10c) Spot R2 (3)
* Thetis could try a mad dash North to steal stations, but the Attackers have thus far reduced practically none of the Defenders' offensive capability, and there's a decent Spot, so I'm going for it
** Looks like my prior decision didn't matter :p

Peleus and Demeter left. Without a Move of 8, Peleus will not be in Direct Range of F2, while it will only take a Move of 2 to get in Direct Range of R1. R1 is unspotted, so Demeter (which has no SSRs) should activate first and spot.

(11) Attacker activates Demeter, declaring no target
d6Y 2 d8G 6 d6B 5 d6W 1 d6W 3 = d6Y 3 d6G 6 d6B 5
(11a) Move 6
(11b) n/a
(11c) Spot R1 (3)

(12) Attacker activates Peleus, declaring Direct target:R1 (firing SSR)
d8Rr 4 d8G 4 d6B 1 d6W 6 d6W 3 = d6Rd 6 d6Y 3 d6G 4 d6B 1*
(12a) Move 4
(12b) Direct 6 + Spot 3 - Defense 2 = Damage 7: 7d6 (5, 4, 2, 3, 3, 2, 5): Remove cover (4), 2x Systems Destroyed (5, 5): Movement, Spot
(12c) Spot n/a (this is the final frame of the round)
* I don't know if you can use White for weaponless SSR volleys, but I'll play it as "yes"

END OF ROUND 1 SUMMARY
Stations changing ownership: None
WT 54 initiative, -5 systems across 3 frames
KMM 36 initiative, -6 systems across 2 frames
Last edited by randolph on Mon May 21, 2012 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randolph » Mon May 21, 2012 3:08 am

Round 2
round2_start.png
round2_start.png (251.97 KiB) Viewed 4274 times

round2_end.png
round2_end.png (254.93 KiB) Viewed 4274 times

(1) Defender activates R2, declaring Direct target: Cybelle
d6Rd 3 d6Y 4 d6W 2 d6W 4 = d6Rd 3 d6Y 4 d6G 4 d6B 2

> (2) Attacker defends with Cybelle, declaring Artillery target: R1
d6Ra 1 d6Ra 3 d8Ra 3 d6W 5 d6W 2 = d6Ra 3 d6Y 5 d6B 2

(1a) Direct 3 + Spot 0 - Defense 2 = Damage 1: 1d6 (6): 1x System Destroyed: Artillery*
(1b) Move 4
(1c) Spot Cybelle (4)
* Gambled for the Cybelle on 2 in 3 chance of staying unscathed and lost

> (2) Attacker continues Cybelle activation

>> (3) Defender defends with R1, declaring Artillery target: Cybelle
d6Ra 5 d6Y 4 d6W 6 d6W 4 = d6Ra 5 d6Y 4 d6G 6 d6B 4

(2a) Artillery 3 + Spot 0 - Defense 4 = No Damage
(2b) Move 0
(2c) Spot R2 (5)

>> (3) Defender continues R1 activation
(3a) Artillery 5 + Spot 4 - Defense 2 = Damage 7: 7d6 (6, 4, 6, 4, 4, 2, 6): 3x Systems Destroyed (6, 6, 6): Frame Destroyed - New Initiative D54:32
(3b) Move 6
(3c) Spot n/a

(4) Defender activates R3, declaring Artillery target: Ares
d6Ra 4 d6Y 4 d6Y 6 d6G 2 d6W 6 d6W 5 = d6Ra 6 d6Y 6 d6G 2 d6B 5

> (5) Attacker defends with Ares, declaring Direct target: R2
d6Rd 1 d6Rd 2 d6B 6 d6W 5 d6W 2 = d6Rd 5 d6G 2 d6B 6*
*The Ares needs to move a minimum of 2 to hit anything, so the question is whether Direct 5 + Spot 5 is overkill or not, sacrificing any chance at a Spot. On the other hand, the Ares can't Spot into cover, so there aren't any other valid targets anyway. Overkill it is.

(4a) Artillery 6 + Spot 0 - Defense 6 = No Damage
(4b) Move 2
(4c) Spot Ares (6)

> (5) Attacker continues Ares activation
(5a) Move 2
(5b) Direct 5 + Spot 5 - Defense 2 = Damage 8: 8d6 (6, 2, 1, 2, 4, 4, 6, 5): 3x Systems Destroyed (6, 6, 5): Split Weapon, Spot, White
(5c) Spot n/a

(6) Defender activates F2, declaring Artillery target: Ares
d6Ra 4 d6Y 5 d6Y 1 d6G 2 d6W 1 d6W 3 = d6Ra 4 d6Y 5 d6G 3 d6B 1
(6a) Artillery 4 + Spot 6 - Defense 6 = Damage 4: 4d6 (5, 6, 2, 2): 2x Systems Destroyed (5, 6): Direct, Defense*
(6b) Move 3
(6c) Spot Ares (5)
* I'm assuming the Ares would rather keep the scary HtH d8 than a blue with no bonuses.

(7) Defender activates F1, declaring Artillery target: Ares
d6Ra 1 d6Y 5 d6Y 4 d6G 6 d6W 2 d6W 1 = d6Ra 2 d6Y 5 d6G 6 d6B 1
(7a) Artillery 2 + Spot 5 - Defense 6 = Damage 1: 1d6 (2): Miss
(7b) Move 6
(7c) Spot Ares (5)

(8) Defender activates X, declaring Artillery target: Ares
d6Ra 3 d6Y 5 d6W 5 d6W 4 = d6Ra 5 d6Y 5 d6G 4
(8a) Artillery 5 + Spot 5 - Defense 6 = Damage 4: 4d6 (4, 1, 5, 2): 1x System Destroyed (5): HtH
(8b) Move 4
(8c) Spot n/a (last Defender frame)

(9) Attacker activates Peleus, declaring no targets (nothing within 8 units)
d6Y 2 d8G 3 d6B 5 d6W 6 d6W 1 = d6Y 2 d6G 6 d6B 5
(9a) Move 6
(9b) n/a
(9c) Spot R1 (2)
(9d) Capture Station 1 - New Initiative D48:A36

(10) Attacker activates Demeter, declaring HtH target: R1*
d6Rh 2 d6Rh 4 d8Rh 1 d6Y 6 d8G 3 d6B 6 d6W 2 d6W 4 = d6Rh 4 d6Y 6 d6G 4 d6B 6
(10a) Move 4
(10b) n/a (out of range)
(10c) Spot R1 (6)
* Kind of a Hail Mary - the closest frame is 8 units away.

(11) Attacker activates Nimrod, declaring no targets*
d8G 1 d6W 6 d6W 4 = d6Y 6 d6G 4
(11a) Move 4
(11b) n/a
(11c) Spot R2 (6)
* Might as well try to do some damage with a Spot - nothing else is in range, and there's no place to hide.

(12) Attacker activates Thetis, declaring HtH target: R2*
d6Rh 2 d6Rh 1 d8Rh 8 d6Y 4 d8G 1 d6B 1 d6W 3 d6W 4 = d6Rh 8 d6Y 4 d6G 4 d6B 3
(12a) Move 4
(12b) n/a (out of range)
(12c) Spot n/a (last frame of the round)
* Movement needed to be 8, but the first 8 of the game is instead an out-of-range HtH roll :(

END OF ROUND 2 SUMMARY
Stations changing ownership: 1 (Station 1)
WT 48 initiative, -1 station (Station 1), -8 systems across 3 frames
KMM 36 initiative, +1 station (Station 1), -1 frame (Cybelle), -7 systems across 2 frames
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randolph » Mon May 21, 2012 11:35 am

Round 3
round3_start.png
round3_start.png (252.9 KiB) Viewed 4267 times

round3_end.png
round3_end.png (254.62 KiB) Viewed 4267 times

(1) Defender activates R2, declaring no target
d6W 5 = d6Y 5*
(1a) n/a
(1b) n/a
(1c) Spot Ares (5)
* I forgot to roll d8 for movement.

(2) Defender activates R3, declaring Direct target: Ares
d6Rd 4 d6Y 5 d6Y 3 d6G 3 d6W 3 d6W 2 = d6Rd 4 d6Y 5 d6G 3 d6B 3

> (3) Attacker defends with Ares, declaring HtH target: R3
d6Rh 3 d6Rh 3 d6W 5 d6W 3 = d6Rh 3 d6G 3 d6B 5*
* Impossible to reach R3 with a Move 5, so tanking up to soak the shot instead

(2a) Direct 4 + Spot 5 - Defense 5 = Damage 4: 4d6 (3, 1, 6, 1): 1x System Destroyed (6): HtH
(2b) Move 3
(2c) Spot Demeter (5)

> (3) Attacker continues Ares activation
(3a) Move 3
(3b) n/a
(3c) n/a

(4) Defender activates R1, declaring Direct target: Demeter (firing SSR)
d6Rd 6 d8Rr 7 d6Y 2 d6W 4 d6W 6 = d6Rd 7 d6Y 2 d6G 6 d6B 4

> (5) Attacker defends with Demeter, declaring HtH target: R1
d6Rh 2 d6Rh 2 d8Rh 6 d6Y 2 d8G 8 d6B 5 d6W 4 d6W 4 = d6Rh 6 d6Y 4 d6G 8 d6B 5

(4a) Direct 7 + Spot 5 - Defense 5 = Damage 7: 7d6 (6, 1, 4, 1, 2, 1, 3): Remove cover (4), 1x System Destroyed: Spot*
(4b) Move 6
(4c) Spot n/a
* Spotting through cover hasn't really been a concern as much as surviving long enough to get into HtH range.

> (5) Attacker continues Demeter activation
(5a) Move 8
(5b) n/a (out of range)
(5c) Spot X (4)
(5d) Capture Station 2 - New Initiative D42:A40

(6) Defender activates F2, declaring Artillery target: Demeter
d6Ra 3 d6Y 2 d6Y 6 d6G 6 d6W 6 d6W 2 = d6Ra 6 d6Y 6 d6G 6 d6B 2
(6a) Artillery 6 + Spot 0 - Defense 5 = Damage 1: 1d6 (6): 1x System Destroyed: Defense
(6b) Move 6
(6c) Spot Demeter (6)

(7) Defender activates F1, declaring Artillery target: Demeter
d6Ra 3 d6Y 5 d6Y 2 d6G 4 d6W 2 d6W 2 = d6Ra 3 d6Y 5 d6G 4 d6B 2
(7a) Artillery 3 + Spot 6 - Defense 5 = Damage 4: 4d6 (3, 3, 4, 1): Miss
(7b) Move 4
(7c) Spot Demeter (5)

(8) Defender activates X, declaring Direct target: Demeter
d6Rd 6 d6Y 6 d6W 6 d6W 1 = d6Rd 6 d6Y 6 d6G 6
(8a) Direct 6 + Spot 5 - Defense 5 = Damage 6: 6d6 (2, 6, 6, 5, 3, 6): 4x Systems Destroyed (6, 6, 5, 6): Frame Destroyed - New Initiative D42:A36
(8b) Move 5
(8c) Spot n/a (last Defender frame)
(8d) Capture Station 2 - New Initiative D48:A32

(9) Attacker activates Peleus, declaring no target
d6Y 1 d8G 5 d6B 2 d6W 5 d6W 4 = d6Y 4 d6G 5 d6B 5
(9a) Move 5
(9b) n/a
(9c) Spot R1 (4)

(10) Attacker activates Nimrod, declaring no target
d8G 2 d6W 6 d6W 6 = d6Y 6 d6G 6*
(10a) Move 3
(10b) n/a
(10c) Spot R2 (6)
* Next time I should declare a HtH target, just in case of boxcars.

(11) Attacker activates Thetis, declaring HtH target: R2
d6Rh 1 d6Rh 3 d8Rh 4 d6Y 5 d8G 3 d6B 5 d6W 4 d6W 4 = d6Rh 4 d6Y 5 d6G 4 d6B 5
(11a) Move 4
(11b) HtH 4 + Spot 6 - Defense 0 = Damage 10: 10d6 (3, 2, 1, 2, 5, 1, 3, 1, 1, 1): 1x System Destroyed (5): Frame Destroyed - New Initiative D42:A32
(11c) Spot n/a (final frame of round)

END OF ROUND 3 SUMMARY
Stations changing ownership: 0
WT 42 initiative, -1 station (Station 1), -1 frame (R2), -3 systems across 2 frames
KMM 32 initiative, +1 station (Station 1), -2 frames (Cybelle, Demeter), -8 systems across 2 frames
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Mon May 21, 2012 4:13 pm

Commentary on Round 1
randolph wrote:...
Nimrod d6B 6 (!!)*

Even with max Defense and cover you still managed to cripple Nimrod. Thus your force should be able to cripple/kill at least one frame a turn, regardless of where they are located.

I don't think it would matter much which systems you took off of Cybele and Nimrod, as everyone can hit them at is always a good idea to focus fire. Thus the player controlling them should reasonably have expected them to get pretty badly beaten up.
randolph wrote:* Let me know if this was the wrong move - all the other Attacking frames can spot through cover, movement is less important on a DF frame, and the only reason the Defenders are afraid of Nimrod is the double DF systems, which I'm leaving on.

That was totally the right thing to do.

randolph wrote:* Removing 2x Spot (on Cybele), because the HtH will be able to spot everyone they're chasing, with none of the Defenders being a higher priority target than any other, while keeping the Attackers' Artillery presence.

Excellent choice, once Cybele looses her Arty the Blue player could no longer project force except through SSRs which are not to be relied on.

randolph wrote:* Thetis could try a mad dash North to steal stations, but the Attackers have thus far reduced practically none of the Defenders' offensive capability, and there's a decent Spot, so I'm going for it

Blue should be aware of the long range threat of your force by now and is functionally forced into chasing you, or face being shot to pieces while going for Stations. This is ideal for you because it ensures you will keep the initiative, both in terms of points and in forcing your opposition to fight a purely reactionary battle (which usually indicates an eventual loss).
randolph wrote: ** Looks like my prior decision didn't matter :p

It was the right decision, but for strategic reasons rather than dice roll reasons.
randolph wrote:Peleus and Demeter left. Without a Move of 8, Peleus will not be in Direct Range of F2, while it will only take a Move of 2 to get in Direct Range of R1. R1 is unspotted, so Demeter (which has no SSRs) should activate first and spot.

Well played.

randolph wrote:* I don't know if you can use White for weaponless SSR volleys, but I'll play it as "yes"

Yup. White can used at any range you can roll dice at.
randolph wrote:END OF ROUND 1 SUMMARY
Stations changing ownership: None
WT 54 initiative, -5 systems across 3 frames
KMM 36 initiative, -6 systems across 2 frames

More importantly are the actual frames that were lost. WT can still project power at full effect, KMM has almost no range capability remaining and has yet to get into melee (not surprisingly since its the first turn, but this is the big disadvantage of attacking with HTH specialists).
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Mon May 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Commentary on Round 2
randolph wrote:* Kind of a Hail Mary - the closest frame is 8 units away.
* (Thetis's) *Movement needed to be 8, but the first 8 of the game is instead an out-of-range HtH roll :(

Once the enemy gets to the point where this is kind of thing is routinely their best hope, it is a good sign for you.

randolph wrote:END OF ROUND 2 SUMMARY
Stations changing ownership: 1 (Station 1)
WT 48 initiative, -1 station (Station 1), -8 systems across 3 frames
KMM 36 initiative, +1 station (Station 1), -1 frame (Cybelle), -7 systems across 2 frames

See what I mean about trading Stations for bodies? Although if Wang Tech looses one more Station, the KMM will functionally get a double move (end of the last turn, then again at the start of the new turn) which could be pretty bad for. That being said another round of fire from you should eliminate the majority of that potential threat.
At this point I would put R2's dice to defense and hope that forces 2-3 of the opposition to swarm him, thereby giving you more time to relocate the rest of your force and further open the gap. Getting this kill is a good thing for KMM, it would switch the initiative (assuming nothing else strategic happens) which they now desperately need.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Mon May 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Commentary on Round 3
randolph wrote:* I forgot to roll d8 for movement.

Oops, I forgot he even got one :oops: That being said he did his job and pulled off Thetis, one of the only two functional frames remaining to KMM. This effectively eliminates Thetis as a threat. If he had rolled for Blue instead, and eliminated the first 5 damage rolls Thetis would have been forced to spend another round finishing him off. That being said the spot on Demeter was pretty effective, so that was a good move as well.

randolph wrote:* Spotting through cover hasn't really been a concern as much as surviving long enough to get into HtH range.

Yeah, at this point with nobody to do any shooting, d6Y attachments are now an expendable luxury for KMM.

randolph wrote:* Next time I should declare a HtH target, just in case of boxcars.

Its always nice to be optimistic...

randolph wrote:END OF ROUND 3 SUMMARY
WT 42 initiative, -1 station (Station 1), -1 frame (R2), -3 systems across 2 frames
KMM 32 initiative, +1 station (Station 1), -2 frames (Cybelle, Demeter), -8 systems across 2 frames

X taking that frame back is key, and it looks like you can now threaten two stations and/or possibly retake your own. Sure you need some crazy rolls for that to happen but loosing initiative is no longer that big a deal.

At this point it would not be unreasonable for KMM to throw in the towel. Personally I don't like doing that: since I like winning big, I feel it is part of the social contract to graciously (as much as possible anyway) accept a solid loss when its my turn to be stomped.

By the end of next turn the enemy will likely only have crippled frames left, again this is what I mean when I say "leg 'em and leave 'em" (unless you are desperate for Initiative. Actually I could see KMM counting down the clock in order to minimize the margin they lose by, and Wang Tech not counting down the DDC for the same reason.

It looks like you really have the idea of what I meant by Mongol tactics.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randolph » Mon May 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks for the commentary! It's been interesting swapping company perspective back and forth, trying to undo all the progress I'd just made with the other team. I've found it incredibly useful to visualize operational reach with overlays - I would have made more play errors on the part of both teams without them.

Playing this out, round by round, has really opened my eyes to some of the intricacies of MFZ. Probably the one thing that struck me most is how huge an advantage it is to have highest initiative. As Defender, if you lose that for anything less than a totally commanding board position, you've probably lost (because you started with a weaker force).

Here are some of the advantages, off the top of my head:
Uninterrupted focus fire: After an enemy frame has activated (such as when you shoot it for the first time), you can have all of your frames target that same frame without interruption or obstruction, in the order you choose, with Defense value, Movement range, and sequential Spots all known values before you commit any dice.
Guarantee movement in formation (to the extent your movement dice let you, anyway)
Mess with specialized companies: Force unspotted shots and suboptimal spot chains.
Choose action or reaction: Comfortable with your board position, and want your opponent to show his hand? You can pass.

I've been playing WT prioritizing staying out of reach over doing damage - this lets me largely ignore Defense as a stat after the initial clash, which in turn lets me devote better dice to movement, spot, and damage, all of which directly or indirectly let me continue to stay comfortably out of reach. This wouldn't be possible with a heavily DF opponent, which I think might be a natural counter on a map of this size or smaller (if larger, Artillery + global Spot should just run away with the game).

Also, don't count d6W d6W frames out (and don't forget that they're d8G d6W d6W frames at that point :oops: )! They seem so pitiful, but they can still cause some serious havoc!
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randolph » Mon May 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Round 4
round4_start.png
round4_start.png (252.62 KiB) Viewed 4227 times
round4_end.png
round4_end.png (254.35 KiB) Viewed 4227 times

(1) Defender activates R3, declaring Direct target: Ares
d6Rd 2 d6Y 6 d6Y 2 d6G 4 d6W 5 d6W 1 = d6Rd 5 d6Y 6 d6G 4 d6B 1

> (2) Attacker defends with Ares, declaring HtH target: F1
d8G 6 d6W 2 d6W 3 = d6Rh 2 d6G 6 d6B 3

(1a) Direct 5 + Spot 0 - Defense 3 = Damage 2: 2d6 (3, 6): 1x System Destroyed (6): White
(1b) Move 4
(1c) Spot Peleus (6)

> (2) Attacker continues Ares activation
(2a) Move 5

>> (3) Defender defends with F1, declaring Direct target: Ares
d6Rd 4 d6Y 3 d6Y 2 d6G 2 d6W 5 d6W 6 = d6Ra 6 d6Y 3 d6G 2 d6B 5

(2b) HtH 2 + Spot 0 - Defense 5 = No Damage
(2c) n/a

>> (3) Defender continues F1 activation
(3a) Move 2
(3b) Direct 6 + Spot 0 - Defense 3 = Damage 3: 3d6 (1, 6, 3): 1x System Destroyed (6): Frame Destroyed - New Initiative D42:A28
(3c) Spot Thetis (3)

(4) Defender activates R1, declaring Direct target: Peleus
d6Rd 2 d6Y 5 d6W 6 d6W 2 = d6Rd 2 d6Y 5 d6G 6 d6B 2

> (5) Attacker defends with Peleus, declaring HtH target: X
d6Rh 3 d6Rh 4 d8Rh 6 d6Y 5 d8G 4 d6B 4 d6W 6 d6W 3 = d6Rh 6 d6Y 5 d6G 4 d6B 6*
* It'll take 7 to get into HtH range, so tanking up instead.

(4a) Direct 2 + Spot 6 - Defense 6 = Damage 2: 2d6 (6, 2): 1x System Destroyed (6): Spot*
(4b) Move 6
(4c) Spot Peleus (5)
* Peleus is by itself up here, the lone Spot won't accomplish much.

> (5) Attacker continues Peleus activation
(5a) Move 3
(5b) n/a
(5c) Spot X (5)
(5d) Capture Station 3 - New Initiative D36:A32

(6) Defender activates X, declaring Direct target: Peleus
d6Rd 1 d6Y 6 d6W 2 d6W 3 = d6Rd 3 d6Y 6 d6G 2
(6a) Direct 3 + Spot 5 - Defense 6 = Damage 2: 2d6 (1, 1): Miss
(6b) Move 0
(6c) Spot Peleus (6)

(7) Defender activates F2, declaring Artillery target: Peleus
d6Ra 2 d6Y 5 d6Y 6 d6G 5 d6W 6 d6W 5 = d6Ra 6 d6Y 6 d6G 5 d6B 5
(7a) Artillery 6 + Spot 6 - Defense 6 = Damage 6: 6d6 (5, 1, 5, 4, 5, 4): 3x Systems Destroyed (5, 5, 5): Defense, Melee x2
(7b) Move 5
(7c) Spot n/a (last Defender frame)

(8) Attacker activates Nimrod, declaring HtH target: F1*
d8G 6 d6W 6 d6W 4 = d6Y 6 d6G 6 d6B 4
(8a) Move 5
(8b) n/a
(8c) Spot n/a**
* Nothing else is within Range 8. If it's too far, Nimrod will head North instead.
** Nothing is within Range 8 of Thetis.

(9) Attacker activate Thetis, declaring no target
d6Y 3 d8G 5 d6B 2 d6W 4 d6W 5 = d6Y 5 d6G 5 d6B 4
(9a) Move 5
(9b) n/a
(9c) Spot n/a (last frame of the round)

END OF ROUND 4 SUMMARY
Stations changing ownership: 1 (Station 3)
WT 36 initiative, -2 station (Station 1, Station 3), -1 frame (R2), -3 systems across 2 frames
KMM 32 initiative, +2 station (Station 1, Station 3), -3 frames (Cybelle, Demeter, Ares), -8 systems across 2 frames
Last edited by randolph on Tue May 22, 2012 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Mon May 21, 2012 10:31 pm

Commentary on Round 4
I think its safe to say Round 4 was the beginning of the mopping up.

Next turn Wang Tech should start moving to take as many Stations back as possible, as there will not be any viable threats remaining after their next activation. Focus fire on Thetis, and then finish off targets of opportunity and convenience. Nothing short of ridiculous dice and abject poor play on the part of Want Tech will save KMM at this point, so I would say they should count down the DDC. Conversely WT should NOT count it down, in hopes of getting ALL the stations and tabling the opposition.

I would call this a classic example of light cavalry vs heavy cavalry, with the expected results. *EDIT* For the record if KMM had won the initiative the stomping boot would have been firmly on the other foot. Both of these lists (but especially KMM) needs to seriously take getting the initiative a priority.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randolph » Tue May 22, 2012 1:03 am

Round 5
round5_start.png
round5_start.png (252.72 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
round5_end.png
round5_end.png (254.09 KiB) Viewed 4216 times

(1) Defender activates F2, declaring Artillery target: Peleus
d6Ra 5 d6Y 2 d6Y 4 d6G 1 d6W 2 d6W 5 = d6Ra 5 d6Y 4 d6G 5 d6B 2

> (2) Attacker defends with Peleus, declaring HtH target: X
d8G 7 d6W 2 d6W 6 = d6Rh 6 d6G 7 d6B 2*
* Going for broke - The incoming unspotted Attack 5 against this unit's Defense 2 means 1 system destroyed on average, while that Movement 7 plus an unlucky Defense roll on X's part could let this completely stripped frame be a Goddamned Hero, possibly destroying an enemy frame and capping a station this turn. It was a misplay to attack Peleus this early - I should have started with R1 or X shooting at Thetis, moving out of Peleus' effective range, then only activating Peleus with the other one so I could move that one out of range as well after seeing Peleus' Movement roll, if necessary.

(1a) Artillery 5 + Spot 0 - Defense 2 = Damage 3: 3d6 (6, 1, 1): 1x System Destroyed (6): White*
(1b) Move 5
(1c) Spot Thetis (4)
* Peleus> NO MERE MORTAL WOUND CAN STOP PELEUS

> (2) Attacker continues Peleus activation
(2a) Move 7

>> (3) Defender defends with X, declaring Artillery target: Thetis*
d6Ra 3 d6Y 5 d6W 2 d6W 2 = d6Ra 3 d6Y 5 d6G 2 d6B 2**
* With nothing within 8 of Thetis (yet), I'm forcing the last serious threat to waste its turn.
** Oh, this is gonna hurt.

(2b) HtH 6 + Spot 0 - Defense 2 = Damage 4: 4d6 (5, 4, 5, 2): 3x Systems Destroyed (5, 4, 5): Split Weapon, Spot, White
(2c) n/a

>> (3) Defender continues X activation

>>> (4) Attacker defends with Thetis, declaring no target
d6Y 3 d8G 7 d6B 5 d6W 2 d6W 5 = d6Y 5 d6G 7 d6B 5

(3a) Artillery 3 + Spot 4 - Defense 5 = Damage 2: 2d6 (3, 2): Miss
(3b) Move 0*
(3c) Spot Peleus (5)
* Staying in HtH range of Peleus, both of them at 1 die left - playing chicken.

>>> (4) Attacker continues Thetis activation
(4a) Move 7*
(4b) n/a
(4c) Spot n/a
* Thetis can either head North or Northeast, and Nimrod still hasn't activated. If Thetis heads North, that Spot is wasted, as Nimrod can't reach any of them this round, but Thetis stands a decent chance of finishing off X. If Thetis heads Northeast, it can spot F1, which is barely in potential range of Nimrod, but F1 is at full health, and unlikely to die. Opting to go North instead, potentially capturing that station next round.

(5) Defender activates F1, declaring Artillery target: Peleus
d6Ra 6 d6Y 6 d6Y 5 d6G 1 d6W 3 d6W 2 = d6Ra 6 d6Y 6 d6G 2 d6B 3
(5a) Artillery 6 + Spot 5 - Defense 2 = Damage 9: 9d6 (1, 6, 2, 1, 1, 5, 3, 1, 4): 2x Systems Destroyed (6, 5): Frame Destroyed - New Initiative D36:A28
(5b) Move 2
(5c) Spot Thetis (6)

(6) Defender activates R3, declaring Artillery target: Thetis
d6Ra 6 d6Y 5 d6Y 1 d6G 1 d6W 3 d6W 2 = d6Ra 6 d6Y 5 d6G 3 d6B 2
(6a) Artillery 6 + Spot 6 - Defense 5 = Damage 7: 7d6 (6, 2, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1): 2x Systems Destroyed (6, 5): Spot, Defense
(6b) Move 3
(6c) Spot Thetis (6)

(7) Defender activates R1, declaring Artillery target: Thetis
d6Ra 3 d6Y 1 d6W 5 d6W 6 = d6Ra 6 d6Y 1 d6G 5
(7a) Artillery 6 + Spot 6 - Defense 5 = Damage 7: 7d6 (1, 2, 3, 5, 2, 4, 3): Remove cover (4), 1x System Destroyed (5): HtH
(7b) Move 5
(7c) n/a (last Defender frame)

(8) Attacker activates Nimrod, declaring HtH target: F1
d8G 1 d6W 1 d6W 4 = nevermind then!*
(8a) n/a
(8b) n/a
(8c) n/a
* Looks like moving Thetis North was a good call - two wasted activations, otherwise.

END OF ROUND 5 SUMMARY
WT 36 initiative, -2 station (Station 1, Station 3), -1 frame (R2), -6 systems across 2 frames
KMM 28 initiative, +2 station (Station 1, Station 3), -4 frames (Cybelle, Demeter, Ares, Peleus), -7 systems across 2 frames
Peleus: Eternal Glory
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Battle Reports