Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Quarry

Battle reports and play-by-post games
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby randolph » Fri May 11, 2012 4:49 pm

Those are the game rules. If you want to argue the verisimilitude, fine - you can even take it up with Josh and Vincent in the rules forum if you like - but my analysis here is based on the rules as written.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby Inksplat » Fri May 11, 2012 4:54 pm

randolph wrote:Those are the game rules. If you want to argue the verisimilitude, fine - you can even take it up with Josh and Vincent in the rules forum if you like - but my analysis here is based on the rules as written.


No need to get snippy just because I made a comment that I didn't think it should be a thing. No need for me taking it up with anybody, because I was just making a passing comment, and not trying to argue anything. I only expanded upon it when you tried to suggest it made total and perfect sense, which I then clarified why I thought it didn't.

Rules are rules, and that's cool, but I can still think a particular one is a little weird. No need to take it personally.
Inksplat
Newcomer
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby Mantisking » Fri May 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Inksplat wrote:Why would a bunch of high-tech mechs be using technology that even the modern United States military doesn't use? We already mark targets digitally, or via invisible lasers...why would space men in robots find the need to go backwards?

Because it's a pain in the ass for everyone to bring their own specific color of yellow dice to a game.
User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5714
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby Inksplat » Fri May 11, 2012 5:00 pm

Mantisking wrote:
Inksplat wrote:Why would a bunch of high-tech mechs be using technology that even the modern United States military doesn't use? We already mark targets digitally, or via invisible lasers...why would space men in robots find the need to go backwards?

Because it's a pain in the ass for everyone to bring their own specific color of yellow dice to a game.


I can definitely appreciate that aspect of it, but it also doesn't seem that hard to remember if it was me or Bill who marked said target, especially since it only lasts for a round.
Inksplat
Newcomer
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby Mantisking » Fri May 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Mantisking wrote:Because it's a pain in the ass for everyone to bring their own specific color of yellow dice to a game.
Inksplat wrote:I can definitely appreciate that aspect of it, but it also doesn't seem that hard to remember if it was me or Bill who marked said target, especially since it only lasts for a round.

Have you played an actual game of MFZ yet?
User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5714
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby randolph » Fri May 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Inksplat wrote:No need to get snippy just because I made a comment that I didn't think it should be a thing. No need for me taking it up with anybody, because I was just making a passing comment, and not trying to argue anything. I only expanded upon it when you tried to suggest it made total and perfect sense, which I then clarified why I thought it didn't.

Rules are rules, and that's cool, but I can still think a particular one is a little weird. No need to take it personally.

Sorry if it sounded snippy/taking it personally, I didn't intend that.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby Inksplat » Fri May 11, 2012 5:10 pm

randolph wrote:
Inksplat wrote:No need to get snippy just because I made a comment that I didn't think it should be a thing. No need for me taking it up with anybody, because I was just making a passing comment, and not trying to argue anything. I only expanded upon it when you tried to suggest it made total and perfect sense, which I then clarified why I thought it didn't.

Rules are rules, and that's cool, but I can still think a particular one is a little weird. No need to take it personally.

Sorry if it sounded snippy/taking it personally, I didn't intend that.


Sorry I took it that way then. :)
Inksplat
Newcomer
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby calculus » Fri May 11, 2012 5:11 pm

Spotting is an abstraction for teamwork, or more accurately, an abstraction for the negitive effects of having to deal with multiple opponents simultaniously.

It's kind of like paintball. Two guys can vs each other for ages (in game time scales) without anyone getting hit. Add a second guy, unencumbered by anyone shooting at him, and the deadlock is over in seconds.
calculus
Talkative
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri May 11, 2012 6:03 pm

Inky, Daniel, let's take a deep breath through our trousers. It's all good. No need to feel the need to defend or justify. We're all level-headed gentlemen here.

Now, Inky, there is always the crunch versus fluff conflict of a given game. Here, we have come to understand that MFZ:RA is a strategy game first, and a universe second. It's meant to be fast, enjoyable and in favor of the attacker. Fluff sometimes has to play second fidle there. We try to fill gaps with "backwards explanations", where we have an effect and make up why. You are free to houserule that spots are proprietary. That's the great thing about MFZ - you are encouraged to make it your own.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
User avatar
Ced23Ric
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:07 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby randolph » Fri May 11, 2012 6:11 pm

Ced23Ric wrote:Inky, Daniel, let's take a deep breath through our trousers.

... who's Daniel?

And, if one is breathing through one's trousers, is not one then having a pants-on-head moment?

#deepthoughts
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri May 11, 2012 6:20 pm

randolph wrote:
Ced23Ric wrote:Inky, Daniel, let's take a deep breath through our trousers.

... who's Daniel?

And, if one is breathing through one's trousers, is not one then having a pants-on-head moment?

#deepthoughts

Mr. calculus is.

Only if you can't breathe through your skin pores. Which would cause you to die from heat exhaustion soon.

#myhorribleendings
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
User avatar
Ced23Ric
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:07 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby ferrelferret » Sat May 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Finally, Some action! ;)

~ferret~
User avatar
ferrelferret
Talkative
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:33 am
Location: DFW

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby Mantisking » Sat May 12, 2012 9:35 pm

I've gotta say, from these rolls --
Forged wrote:Your dice
Naga 2

d6Rd 5
d6Rd 1
d6Bd 3
d6G 6
d6W 4
d6W 6

I would not have chosen this --
MittenNinja wrote:defense 4
move 6
attack 6

I'd have gone d6Rd 5, d6B 6, d6G 6, d6Y 4.
User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5714
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby MittenNinja » Sat May 12, 2012 9:48 pm

Mantisking wrote:I've gotta say, from these rolls --
Forged wrote:Your dice
Naga 2

d6Rd 5
d6Rd 1
d6Bd 3
d6G 6
d6W 4
d6W 6

I would not have chosen this --
MittenNinja wrote:defense 4
move 6
attack 6

I'd have gone d6Rd 5, d6B 6, d6G 6, d6Y 4.


Then I would have had zero chance of doing any damage, since his target's defense was 5.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
User avatar
MittenNinja
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:38 pm
Location: St Paul, MN

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby Mantisking » Sat May 12, 2012 10:11 pm

MittenNinja wrote:Then I would have had zero chance of doing any damage, since his target's defense was 5.

I know. That's a decent spot for a follow-on attack though.
User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5714
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby addking » Mon May 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Hmm, some early shooting but no exploding bits yet. Seems like Mitten just got the dice shaft on that HtH activation nothing like 1 & 2's right?
User avatar
addking
Talkative
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:02 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby MittenNinja » Mon May 14, 2012 2:44 pm

addking wrote:Hmm, some early shooting but no exploding bits yet. Seems like Mitten just got the dice shaft on that HtH activation nothing like 1 & 2's right?

Yep, not a good way to start an aggressive offensive strategy...
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
User avatar
MittenNinja
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:38 pm
Location: St Paul, MN

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby addking » Fri May 25, 2012 11:45 pm

OOOH mitten first one to take a shot to the chops.
User avatar
addking
Talkative
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:02 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Armchair Strategizing/Betting: The Battle of Hogland Qua

Postby Ced23Ric » Sat May 26, 2012 2:32 am

Uri is going DOWN! :D
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
User avatar
Ced23Ric
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:07 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Previous

Return to Mobile Frame Battle Reports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest