Trees & Sand

Battle reports and play-by-post games
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Trees & Sand

Postby Mantisking » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:35 am

User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5242
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Trees & Sand

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Nice pics, Mk!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
User avatar
VitorFaria
Mod Team
 
Posts: 2452
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Re: Trees & Sand

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:42 pm

Nice report, Mantisking. I have a question regarding turn 4:
Occam's Spork's barely surviving Green frame -- it has 1 White die left -- lurches across the battlefield, smashes into Chuck's Purple frame for 5, destroys it, and captures the Station it was guarding.
How did the Green frame both move and attack if it only had one White die left? :?:
User avatar
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:48 am
Location: Sioux City, IA

Re: Trees & Sand

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:09 pm

I guess it would use the d8G for movement and the d6W for attack, being stuck with a defense of 0.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
User avatar
VitorFaria
Mod Team
 
Posts: 2452
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Re: Trees & Sand

Postby Mantisking » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:13 am

VitorFaria wrote:Nice pics, Mk!

No comments on the actual game?

spacemonkey wrote:Nice report, Mantisking. I have a question regarding turn 4:
Occam's Spork's barely surviving Green frame -- it has 1 White die left -- lurches across the battlefield, smashes into Chuck's Purple frame for 5, destroys it, and captures the Station it was guarding.
How did the Green frame both move and attack if it only had one White die left? :?:
VitorFaria wrote:I guess it would use the d8G for movement and the d6W for attack, being stuck with a defense of 0.

Vitor has it right.
User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5242
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Trees & Sand

Postby spacemonkey » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:17 am

Ah, knew I was forgetting something; it's been awhile since I've played a game. :oops:
User avatar
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:48 am
Location: Sioux City, IA

Re: Trees & Sand

Postby Mantisking » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:53 am

spacemonkey wrote:Ah, knew I was forgetting something; it's been awhile since I've played a game. :oops:

Okay.

I'm kinda surprised no-one has commented on my squad having no weapons beyond three SSRs.
User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5242
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Trees & Sand

Postby spacemonkey » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Huh, totally missed that since I usually just skim the load-outs and jump to the action. What was your game plan with that setup? Hope to tank the damage and use spots to encourage the others to attack each other?
User avatar
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:48 am
Location: Sioux City, IA

Re: Trees & Sand

Postby Mantisking » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:41 pm

spacemonkey wrote:Huh, totally missed that since I usually just skim the load-outs and jump to the action. What was your game plan with that setup? Hope to tank the damage and use spots to encourage the others to attack each other?

The hope was to present as "non-threatening" due to lack of weaponry, also it was an was a way of stopping myself from standing my ground as Defender as I only had three ranged attacks to use for the entire game. Loadout was d6B d6B for survival, d6G d8G to get the hell out of the way, and d6Y for a bit of social engineering.
User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5242
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Trees & Sand

Postby spacemonkey » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:39 pm

Interesting. Do you think it's a strategy you would try again?
User avatar
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:48 am
Location: Sioux City, IA

Re: Trees & Sand

Postby Blorf » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:24 pm

I've played that strategy. It was a ton of fun. I'd recommend it to seasoned players who deeply understand game mechanics. It's really hard to play but super rewarding if you pull it off.

I went with a little more yellow to keep opponents more interested in each other than in me, and a couple h2h for when I finally decided I wanted to make a play for a station toward the end. But it's the same idea. You can find my report by searching for "waffle".

Mantisking wrote:I'm kinda surprised no-one has commented on my squad having no weapons beyond three SSRs.

To be honest, I have a really hard time following what was going on unless a report is extremely descriptive and includes visual annotations.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
User avatar
Blorf
Mod Team
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: I stand with Twankus

Re: Trees & Sand

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:40 pm

The no weapons shenanigans were cool, but some well taken close up shots so I can actually see the frames being used really tugs my heart-strings!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
User avatar
VitorFaria
Mod Team
 
Posts: 2452
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Re: Trees & Sand

Postby Mantisking » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:24 am

spacemonkey wrote:Interesting. Do you think it's a strategy you would try again?

Probably. I tend to play Defender more than anyone else in the group and I'd like another shot at using this squad and playing it better.

Blorf wrote:I've played that strategy. It was a ton of fun. I'd recommend it to seasoned players who deeply understand game mechanics. It's really hard to play but super rewarding if you pull it off.

Yeah, I didn't play this game to the best of my abilities. I made a rookie mistake by ignoring Occam's Spork's Zombie Frame -- the one White die one -- and I got caught up in analysis paralysis trying to figure out if I should use a SSR during my Frame's activation.

Blorf wrote:I went with a little more yellow to keep opponents more interested in each other than in me, and a couple h2h for when I finally decided I wanted to make a play for a station toward the end. But it's the same idea. You can find my report by searching for "waffle".

Tom commented after the game was over he would have went with double Spotting, and I believe that was also mentioned during the meal where this squad was initially conceived. I wanted the Movement system to get better probabilities for my "Run Away" strategy. I also went with no weapons -- defaulting to HtH from white dice -- as I wanted to present as "Not A Threat" to the other players.

Blorf wrote:
Mantisking wrote:I'm kinda surprised no-one has commented on my squad having no weapons beyond three SSRs.

To be honest, I have a really hard time following what was going on unless a report is extremely descriptive and includes visual annotations.

Fair enough. I'm trying to be more descriptive in my reports but between being wiped out after the game is finished and recollection fading as the week progresses it leads to less than stellar reporting.

VitorFaria wrote:The no weapons shenanigans were cool, but some well taken close up shots so I can actually see the frames being used really tugs my heart-strings!

I will try and take more photos like that in the future then.
User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5242
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Trees & Sand

Postby Blorf » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:50 pm

For what it's worth, the comment about following reports was a generalization and not specific to this one.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
User avatar
Blorf
Mod Team
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: I stand with Twankus

Re: Trees & Sand

Postby Mantisking » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:16 am

Blorf wrote:For what it's worth, the comment about following reports was a generalization and not specific to this one.

I didn't take it personally.
User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5242
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.


Return to Mobile Frame Battle Reports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron