Indoctrined: 2-player Skirmish

Battle reports and play-by-post games
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Indoctrined: 2-player Skirmish

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:13 pm

On April 2nd, TornOxys and I met at Greenfield Games in Greenfield, MA so I could show him the ropes. What transpired was the most meticulous and thorough beat-downs I've ever had the pleasure of receiving. I took a bunch of photos, collated, and annotated them in an album below.

http://imgur.com/a/6jikE

I feel a hefty congratulation is in order for Torn taking the win in his first wargame experience ever, let alone MFZ! And personally, I thank you for making the long trek up to my neck of the woods. This was fun and we will do it again!

Edit: Due to an unusual, but critical, formatting flaw in Imgur's caption system, I had to partially re-write the report. I'll drop the list here as well, as it's more easily understood than my unofficial notations.

TornOxys: 6 Chubs
2 x Tank; d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6B
2 x Recon-by-Fire; d6W d6W d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6Y d6Y
2 x Brawler; d6W d6W d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6B d8G ( d8Rr) ( d8Rr d8Rr)
+3 Stations = 9 Assets at 3 PPA: 27 Points

Rook: 3 PUGs, 1 PLC-compact, 1 Lockon
1 x Light Recon; d6W d6W d6Ra d6Ra d6Y d6Y
1 x Controller; d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6Y d6Y (I need a better name than this. Overseer? Foreman?)
3 x Soldier; d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6Y d6B d6G ( d8Rr each)
+3 Stations = 8 Assets at 7 PPA: 56 Points
Last edited by CmdrRook on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Re: Indoctrined: 2-player Skirmish

Postby Mantisking » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:32 pm

That sounds like a real drubbing.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Awesome pics and write up!

I'm afraid the minimal amount of cover gave the attacker some advantage, I wonder how this would play out with some extra walls.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Wow, that was a massive thrashing. Were the dice falling pretty well in his favor? I think your own loadout isn't recorded. What was it?
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby xTornOxysx » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:07 pm

CmdrRook wrote:I feel a hefty congratulation is in order for Torn taking the win in his first wargame experience ever, let alone MFZ! And personally, I thank you for making the long trek up to my neck of the woods. This was fun and we will do it again!

I had a wonderful time kicking your kiester playing this friendly instructional game with you, the drive was well worth it. :twisted:
Seriously, thank you. The drive really was worth it, and we certainly will just as soon as possible. Thank you for helping me through the details of determining attack dice, I had a lot of trouble at first.

VitorFaria wrote:I'm afraid the minimal amount of cover gave the attacker some advantage, I wonder how this would play out with some extra walls.

That was all according to plan my fault. I didn't think of it, and therefore we had to rely exclusively on what CmdrRook brought. In future, I plan to at least bring SOMETHING to represent cover. Even a one-hit plastic tree or two.

Blorf wrote:Were the dice falling pretty well in his favor?

I think it was mostly decided by a few key rolls, yes. It also seems to me that while I focused on one or two Frames to murder at a time, he spread himself too thin early on (I think he mentions this), forfeiting his advantage. Another contributing factor may have been my hesitancy to commit to a decision once made, second-guessing myself and delaying the game, which may have distracted him as he had to switch from enemy to instructor many times in the same turn.

I'm hoping for a rematch sometime in the future. But for now... I'm UNDEFEATED. 8-)
xTornOxysx
Chatty

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Blorf wrote:Wow, that was a massive thrashing. Were the dice falling pretty well in his favor? I think your own loadout isn't recorded. What was it?

Oh, wow. Some formatting issue I didn't catch ate my roster. Can't find the edit option on mobile, so it'll have to wait until I'm home from work later tonight.

Some dice rolls were lackluster, but as oxys mentioned, I didn't focus enough on key units and panicked, spreading damage ineffectually across superior numbers. You'll notice I didn't field my brawler, and that was simply because it was incomplete at the time. Another frame, even if it was just legs with teeth, would have been a helpful asset.

Cover was less of an issue than I anticipated, even when it was put into use, a lack of hits was the cause of my consternation, not the effectiveness of the cover.

You were a quick study, Torn, and I'm impressed that the value of your build, setup, and approach were well understood and utilized in your first game. Let none of my self deprecation cast any doubt that you earned that win of your own ability.

(edit: android keyboard can go get bent)
Last edited by CmdrRook on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Postby xTornOxysx » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Well, I think you're rather generous. :) Thank you.
xTornOxysx
Chatty

Postby Blorf » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:04 pm

xTornOxysx wrote:Well, I think you're rather generous. :) Thank you.

I haven't played a game with him, but through forum discourse it appears to me that CmdrRook is a talented strategist. He's also not given to hyperbole. If he says you earned it, I believe him!
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby CmdrRook » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:39 am

Alright, that was a painstaking process, but it should be fixed, now. No idea why the problem was what it was.
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Postby Blorf » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:06 am

That update helps the context greatly. Thank you for taking the time to fix it! It's a very nicely written report. I have a pretty easy time following the events. I appreciate the strategy notations.

The result appears to reinforce my bias against the stand-your-ground approach as defender, and toward using grouped strike teams.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby CmdrRook » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:16 am

Withdrawing South, sticking to the plan of taking out that lone tank turn 1, then using left over attacks to force the brawlers or other tank to activate before the rbfs had spots on the field may have saved my bacon, but that is not what I did. Instead, I was a tide upon the beach, all sound and fury.
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Return to Mobile Frame Battle Reports