Battle of Iris Quarry

Battle reports and play-by-post games
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Battle of Iris Quarry

Postby Omega_Tahu » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:14 am

A Three Company Battle between:

Knight Riders: the purple and white company of Ride Faris and Cubiods. These were the ones I played as.
Score per Asset: 7 (Defender)
Frame Types
4x d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6Y d6G d8G d6W d6W
1X d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6B d6W d6W
1X d6Ra d6Ra d6Y d6Y d6B d6W d6W

Argo Company: The sand green and White Company of cleverly named Argo Frames. My sister commanded these frames.
Score per Asset: 4 (secondary attacker)
Frame Types
5x d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6Y d6G d6W d6W
1x d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6B
1x d6Ra d6Ra d6Y d6Y d6W d6W

Limey Villains: The Lime frames and white and gray frames. My mom commanded these. they also suffered the most casualties
Score per Asset: 3 (Primary Attacker)
Frame Types:
2x d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6Y d6G d8G d6W d6W
3x d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6Y d6G d6W d6W
2x d6Ra d6Ra d6B d6G d6Y d6W d6W

(As I'm on my phone, I unfortunately can't post photos directly here. Sorry about that...)

https://flic.kr/p/SGYWY6
Round 1 beginning
Knight Riders: 56
Argo: 36
Limey: 27

https://flic.kr/p/REj5kk
Round 2 end
Argo: 40
Limey: 21

https://flic.kr/p/SjqU5q
Round 3 end
Argo: 40
Limey: 12

https://flic.kr/p/SUeVap
Round 4 end
Knight Riders: 63
Argo: 32
Limey: 9

Preface:

I will say that my sister and especially my mom have a basic understanding of the game, and haven't really started thinking too much about strategy and company teamwork yet. So they make some pretty big mistakes, which I'll point out.

This was a really fun game. I personally wished I had been the primary attacker, so I could test the effectiveness of a melee oriented company. However, I didn't wish to start the game on a bad note, so I gave up the attacking spot. We set the game when there was a playe of oranges on the table, so that explains the large area without cover.

Also, I play without SSRs for simplicities sake.

Setting up the field

I set down my 2 stations in the bottom left of board, and set down my 2 support frames, the Tank and Artillerist. I then instructed my mom to put down a Point Attack frame, which she did. They took turns, often with me suggesting to my mom not to put a frame with artillery in direct fire range of another, but to little avail. My sister set up her frames and company in the upper section of the board, while my mom split her company into two, placing one station near her point attack frame and it's identical twin, and placing the rest of her forces in the opposite side of the board. I then out down my 4 Ride Faris frames, putting 2 in hth of both point attack frames, and putting 2 in a position ready to attack Limey's other station. And this ends the set up

Gameplay

Round 1:
Upon the start of the first round, I attacked the point attack frame with my tank, placing a spot with a white die. I then proceeded to attack with both Ride Faris quite effectively, chain spotting proving quite effective here and throughout the game. However, the Limey frames were able to put decent spots on my frames, forcing me to retreat. I finished the attack with my artillery, and placed a spot on the Limey Artillerist Cubiod. The pair of unactivated Ride Faris took advantage of this, and landed some heavy blows on it, bringing it down to it's last white die. Tactical order then turned to my sister, who then finished off the cubiod, and captured the carrot station. She then attacked several of my mom's frames, and took some more shots at the point attack frames. After her frames had gone, my mom then tried attacking the frame capturing her staion, and succeeded in moving it away from the station and destroying it's spot system.

Round 2:
I retreat my 2 Ride Faris on the right side, bringing them in to help finish off the point Attack frames. I destroy one, and my sister finishes off the other. After some more slaughter on the right side, my mom somehow recaptures her station, but loses her other one, with no hope of recapture. I believe somewhere in this round my mom hit 9 points. It was also here that my sister made an unsuccessful attack upon one of my frames with her tank. I took "great offense" at this act.

Round 3:
I decides to take action upon the "great offense," and attempted to get some of my Ride Faris into hth range of her tank and soldier. Of course this was the round where nearly all my movement roles flopped, so I could only get 1 Ride Faris in range. With this and a spot placed by the other Ride Faris I was able to take a defense system. My mom also lost another frame this round, and had one reduced to the last white die. My sister also had one of her soldiers reduced to the last white.

Round 4:
The final round approaches, and I continue my offensive push by attacking the Argo Tank with the nearest Ride Faris, then repositioning it so it will contests claim for the station. My sister takes the Argo Tank, now reduced to it's last Direct Fire system, and moves it away from the station. I activate another Ride Faris, and bring the Argo tank to it's last white, along with the Argo Soldier. I unfortunately run out of nearby frames and can't finish them off. My last Ride Faris goes and finishes off the Argo Soldier destroyed by the Limeys. My sister continues her attack on the limeys, destroying another frame, and damaging the remaining ones. My mom activates her last frames, and like the rst of the game, has some pretty unsuccessful rolls. The game ends, with me being "victorious."

Summary/Notes:
Knight Riders:
I only lost a total of 5 systems I believe, which is pretty amazing. The chain spotting along with the hth weapons proved really effective, and I had quite a bit of fun fielding the company. The tank ended up not being really helpful, as it's inability to move well coupled with the fact most of the action was outside it's range made it pretty hard to find a target. The artillerist was a good support frame, being able to place a spot when needed, and finish off spots too. Plus the Ride Faris is a pretty great Kimaris Trooper Ripoff.

Argo Company:
This comapny and it's setup could've easily won, but the way my sister played the game stopped that from happening. It had amazing rolls throughout the game, getting almost all 6 defense the first round. The large amount of soldiers made it prettu flexible, and my sister understood the power of spotting.

Limey Villains:
I got to say, this was a slaughter. The way my mom split the company up didn't help either, and she had horrid rolls, often getting 2s and 3s. Furthermore, this company was a bunch of demo frames just grouped together to act as a company.

Overall:
I felt this game was less about winning and more about destroying as many frames as possible. We had problems with attention span, and I figured that playing skirmishes with less units might remedy this, although I perfer fielding a large army.

More photos of random stuff in the flickr album, and pictures of the Knight Riders coming soonish.
ZA WARUDO! TOKI WO TOMARE!
Omega_Tahu
Chatty

Re: Battle of Iris Quarry

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:36 am

Man, that's a beautifully complete report! Well done on all respects!

I could pinpoint a few issues you may had had with the rules, but I guess I'll let Blorf do that! :D
Last edited by VitorFaria on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Re: Battle of Iris Quarry

Postby Omega_Tahu » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:49 am

VitorFaria wrote:Man, that's a beautyfully complete report! Well done on all respects!

I could pinpoint a few issues you may had had with the rules, but I guess I'll let Blorf do that! :D

Yeah, I'm won't be surprised if I messed up somewhere, and I usually leave out some rules that I'm not entirely sure on.
ZA WARUDO! TOKI WO TOMARE!
Omega_Tahu
Chatty

Return to Mobile Frame Battle Reports