[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - FRAMEBALL!

FRAMEBALL!

Post your MFZ-inspired fiction and artwork for others to admire
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All your posts should reflect this

FRAMEBALL!

Postby Red_Robot » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:36 am

As of late, there's been some mild discussion of setting elements that skirt the line of what is 'creepy' and what isn't. Unfortunately, I think that's inherent to a certain extent in the subject matter. People aren't likely to resort to giant robot combat unless someone somewhere is being a chabber. Warfare is a symptom of something in the system being hutched.

So I figured, let's talk about something in setting that leaps off from a different situation: FRAME SPORTS!

For the longest time I have been intrigued by this picture in Soren's MFZ errata...

I want to know what this is!

Alternative frame cultures have been mentioned outside of the context of combat, things like rooftop racing and hotrod frame cultures. I would like to explore these, and hear people's thoughts and visions on what shape frame sports might take in the Solar Calendar.

In my Utari campaign setting, there are three wildly popular frame sports. One is rooftop racing, which I imagine is a lot like parkour but with hotrod frames. I see the rooftop racing culture being a lot like modern day outlaw street racing. However in my campaign, it's so wildly popular that they created a sanctioned racing league and have devoted arena space for holding and televising races.

My second frame sport is called Smashball. It combines elements of racing, rugby, lacrosse and hockey. Competition takes place between two five member teams on a figure 8 track. Each team has a pair of passers, a pair of blockers, and a goalie. The ball itself is motorized and can be used to damage frames.

The third frame sport popular in my campaign setting is called Naked Steel. It's basically professional wrestling with stylized "cinematic" looking frames. In other words...exhibition sports entertainment with storylines and prearranged booking.

What sort of frame sports would you like to see? Truth be told, I would love it if eventually an expansion for MFZ was made covering sporting competitions for frames. It wouldn't have to be anything huge, but maybe two or three games that we could bust out as a break from being shooty and stabby over politics and peaches.

Eventually...
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Re: FRAMEBALL!

Postby Mantisking » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:26 am

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Pippi Shortstack » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:45 am

Have you ever seen ?

It's an interesting concept, but it gets VERY fan-service-y very fast. It's the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw Your thread's title. :)
"Volkodav Industries DBE-02 Medved: If you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherhutcher on your lawn, accept no substitutes." -- M3tschenniy
Pippi Shortstack
Been Around The Block

Postby Red_Robot » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:13 am

When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby gusindor » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:53 pm

Those staffs sound like
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Red_Robot » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:03 am

Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby eatrepeat » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 pm

What about games that are similar to the old t.v. show American Gladiators? Particularly the race under fire and melee king of the raised pedestal. I don't know how you would actually play them IRL but you could totally have fun building them :)
If my Frames stay out of the Star Wars universe...
eatrepeat
Been Around The Block

Postby CADmonkey » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:57 pm

CADmonkey
MoF0#78
Collection: MF0: Rapid Attack
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: | | |
CADmonkey
Talkative

Postby Red_Robot » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:38 am

Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby CADmonkey » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:28 pm

CADmonkey
MoF0#78
Collection: MF0: Rapid Attack
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: | | |
CADmonkey
Talkative

Postby Foghammer » Fri May 09, 2014 12:42 pm

Random vector rule I have used in my D&D/Pathfinder games: 1d8, where 1 is forward, 2 is diagonally to the right, 3 is horizontally to the right, and so on, counter-clockwise. For MFZ, a second d8 of a different color can be rolled for speed.

If a frame is in the ball's path when it moves, then maybe every unit of movement left in the ball's speed roll translates to a damage roll (d6s) or something along those lines... That actually sounds like a bit much though.

Sounds really interesting, though!
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby Red_Robot » Sat May 10, 2014 6:48 pm

In theory, it's an exciting and kinetic game. I would love watching a game.

But practically, Smashball probably won't see the light of day. Building a track to 7p scale would be a serious investment in parts. You might be able to use the LEGO racetrack baseplates as a foundation, but even that would take a pretty big investment and a very large dining room table. I figure it would take about 11 baseplates to build the most basic track: one intersection, four straight-aways, and 6 curves. You might be able to do it with felt or painted hobby board for less investment. If I decide to tackle this project I might go that route.

Painted and modular cardboard terrain would open up some more options. Something akin to the old Car Wars arena set that had modular roadway tiles.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby awarnock » Mon May 26, 2014 7:31 pm

Just a thought, why not just build the Goals and use terrain to define the track shape (or use masking tape?) The terrain's indestructible, and the area it doesn't occupy is the track.
RadBox Industries: No excuses, just results.
| |
|
awarnock
Young Gun

Return to Mobile Frame Fan Fiction