Super Robot Wars V

Discuss things not related to MFZ - Keep it civil

Super Robot Wars V

Postby The Hydromancer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:20 am

BLUF: If you've got the dough to drop (70ish USD), you can pick up an official English Sub of Super Robot Wars V for the PS4 (I heard Vita as well) of Super Robot Wars V. online!

For those who don't know what the Super Robot Wars series is, its basically the holy grail of mecha games. Each game is a hodge podge of various animes' pilots, suits (both Super Robot and Real Robot;in fact this series invented the distinction!), and plotlines smashed into one customizable turn based tactical squad game, a la Final Fantasy Tactics. Or in other words, a spiritual precursor to MFZ.

Now for years they couldn't release these games in America due to the huge number of licenses involved in each game although the completely original spin off series Super Robot Taisen has made it over in various forms. With the advent of current generation platforms that aren't region locked, however, a sweet workaround has been developed. You just need to get your hands on a East Asia/Singapore English Sub version of the game!

Needless to say all my free time lately has been spent on this game. Its completely halted work on 4 or 5 frames I've been building and numerous more I had planned, but the game itself is also inspiring as heck for future projects. I wanted to come up for breath for a minute to share this news with my fellow mech-heads, and also to share an interesting detail about the game that sparked a memory. I recall once Soren mentioning how he thought it would be cool if the Stark Jegan pilot from Gundam Unicorn would have been a previous oldtype ace like Monsha from Stardust Memory (Just realized like the only frickin' new suit from Gundam Unicorn that didn't make it into the game is the Stark Jegan, wtf?). Well in this game, Jerid from Z Gundam survives the Gryps Conflict and becomes the pilot of the Byarlant Custom seen during the attack on the Torrington Base in Unicorn Gundam! I thought that was an awesome touch to the game. You can even unlock him as a playable character by fulfilling secret requirements.

Overall I give the game 4/5 stars (if you are a mecha fan, which let's be real you aren't playing the game if you aren't!). I feel like they could be doing a lot more with the series in 2017, such as alt color choices, cut scenes, interactive terrain, etc. I'm still stoked to be playing it however, and I'm looking forward to future installments in English with new series such as Iron Blooded Orphans that, hopefully, improve the game overall with my previously mentioned desires.
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hydromancer/
Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Super Robot Wars V

Postby Molina » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:49 pm

I was unaware of this franchise. I'll check it out for sure as it sounds very interesting. Thanks for sharing the info.
Molina
Newcomer

Return to Off Topic