Mecha Games

Discuss things not related to MFZ - Keep it civil

Mecha Games

Postby Shades_Corvid » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:51 pm

So what does everyone play in between MF0 to get their mobile frame fix? Is it a board game, video game, other?
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Mecha Games

Postby EvilGod » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:56 pm

Warmachine: big stompy steampowered robots

I am still looking for a PC game that might do the trick.
EvilGod
Chatty

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:08 pm

I've been playing Mechwarrior Online lately.

The game has a bad reputation, but I think it's undeserved.

It's one of the very few games where the concept of spotting is clear and somewhat close to the way it's applied in MFZ.

It has a very steep learning curve, you're bound to suck in the beginning, but it really pays of later.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Raedien » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:27 pm

I'm debating getting a PS2 and every Armored Core game available on it. Those games were my first great mecha love for sure.
Raedien
Young Gun

Postby CADmonkey » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:19 pm

I haven't played any other mecha games for some time. As I said in the other thread about wargaming, I used to play quite a bit of Heavy Gear, but not for some years now. Just haven't found any other mecha games that I really care for.
CADmonkey
MoF0#78
Collection:
The Bright Seraphim MF0: Rapid Attack
Demo Teams MF0: Rapid Attack
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: Tumblr; G+
CADmonkey
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:09 pm

A month or so ago some of the old Sierra games were being given away for free, like the Earthsiege series. I played the heck out of ES2 back in the day. The ISO for its sequel is now downloaded, but I haven't taken the time to try to get it running yet.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:11 pm

Blorf wrote:A month or so ago some of the old Sierra games were being given away for free, like the Earthsiege series. I played the heck out of ES2 back in the day. The ISO for its sequel is now downloaded, but I haven't taken the time to try to get it running yet.

That worked for me!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Enendill » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:45 am

EvilGod wrote:Warmachine: big stompy steampowered robots

I am still looking for a PC game that might do the trick.

I've tried it out, as a very good friend of mine is really into it.

I loved it. Really nice models, nice rules and lots of strategy options.

Too bad my time is limited now and I so I cannot invest in WM at this time.
Enendill
Chatty

Postby EvilGod » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:03 am

Enendill wrote:Too bad my time is limited now and I so I cannot invest in WM at this time.

Just so you know: this summer the updated rules "Mark 3" for Warmachine and Hordes were released. Also new starterboxes, which are a really nice deal, including the full rules and some gadgets, were released for the new edition. So it would be a perfect time to start. :twisted:
EvilGod
Chatty

Postby Blorf » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:38 am

VitorFaria wrote:That worked for me!

Thanks! But it's actually the sequel, starsiege (I think) that i haven't played and I'd want to get running. The same process might work though, maybe I'll try it.

ES2 was a great game. It had the right mix of mech setup and tactical planning without getting too bogged down by it. The writing was just (not) serious enough. Your AI squad could be counted on not to kill themselves if you gave them a reasonable job to do. And the explosions were frequent with the requisite amount of bass.

Those "eliminate the enemy base" missions were pure destructive joy.

For new players, though, they'll have to get in the mindset of 90s gamers to fully enjoy it. It didn't age as well as some others.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:46 pm

Blorf wrote:For new players, though, they'll have to get in the mindset of 90s gamers to fully enjoy it. It didn't age as well as some others.

I think it aged really well, some of the cockpit functions and displays would put recent mech games to shame. But yeah, to people that actually care about graphics it would be a weird choice. Good thing I'm not one of them. :lol:
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:55 pm

VitorFaria wrote:I think it aged really well, some of the cockpit functions and displays would put recent mech games to shame. But yeah, to people that actually care about graphics it would be a weird choice. Good thing I'm not one of them. :lol:

It's the in-field graphics that suffer most. The terrain is incredibly sparse; there's little cover anywhere, ever, and no vegetation or other interesting features to look at. Getting from one point to another is an exercise in setting a course and then just waiting for bad guys to show up. There's like one hill in the entire game that you can take damage by falling off of. That's what I notice most as a factor of its age. The 3D engines then just couldn't handle more complexity.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Enendill » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:56 am

EvilGod wrote:
Enendill wrote:Too bad my time is limited now and I so I cannot invest in WM at this time.

Just so you know: this summer the updated rules "Mark 3" for Warmachine and Hordes were released. Also new starterboxes, which are a really nice deal, including the full rules and some gadgets, were released for the new edition. So it would be a perfect time to start. :twisted:

Yes I know. But the decision not to start playing is a conscious one. Imagine that I turned down an awesome opportunity to have a complete limited edition Khador box (and I love Khador) for a bargain price.
Enendill
Chatty

Postby Shades_Corvid » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:30 am

I have been playing Titanfall 2. I really enjoyed the single player campaign and the scale feels like MF0's.

Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby darksyntax » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:31 pm

any mobile recommendations?
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:44 pm

darksyntax wrote:any mobile recommendations?

I have played Walking War Robots. It's pretty nice, could be called "Twanks, the game".

Unfortunately I had to uninstall it to save space on my phone. I've heard they changed the name to simply War Robots and included quads in the game, recently.

Might be worth a try.
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:56 am

VitorFaria wrote:

I have played Walking War Robots. It's pretty nice, could be called "Twanks, the game".

Unfortunately I had to uninstall it to save space on my phone. I've heard they changed the name to simply War Robots and included quads in the game, recently.

Might be worth a try.

Twanks, The Game sounds like a pretty solid endorsement, to me. I'll have to check it out.
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Postby Shades_Corvid » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:42 pm

VitorFaria wrote:

Might be worth a try.

I am checking it out!!!

Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:46 pm

After checking their wiki they seem to have moved way from the pure "tank on legs" aesthetics and now have a more diverse array of mecha. Most definitely not a bad thing, thou. You can still go full on Twank if you want.
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby darksyntax » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:03 pm

VitorFaria wrote:War Robots

War Robots looked pretty good for a mobile game. But exclusively multiplayer PvP isn't what I was looking for. Others will probably love this though.

I found Super Mechs while searching around. The pics and description had me thinking "Shining Force with Mechs", but the map is just a simple way to chose your enemy order on a multiple enemy level and the combat is all 2D turn-based side-scroller. The simpler art style looks good and the mech customization options are high. Both PvE and PvP.

Now that I have the idea of "Shining Force with Mechs" stuck in my head, anyone know anything that might fit that bill?
darksyntax
Mod Team

Next

Return to Off Topic