Other miniature wargaming?

Discuss things not related to MFZ - Keep it civil

Re: Other miniature wargaming?

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:56 pm

That looks really fine!

Mentioning X-Wing, I've been playing it for a while. I have a "love/hate relationship" with it.

It has super fun core mechanics, but also all the wargaming clichês that MF0 avoids so well. I especially dislike the fact that it is a "genocide game", outside of the very limited and prescriptive official objective play scenarios, you win by killing everybody.

I'm trying to create house rules that fix that without ruining balance. No luck so far.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby CADmonkey » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:24 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Mentioning X-Wing, I've been playing it for a while. I have a "love/hate relationship" with it.

It has super fun core mechanics, but also all the wargaming clichês that MF0 avoids so well. I especially dislike the fact that it is a "genocide game", outside of the very limited and prescriptive official objective play scenarios, you win by killing everybody.

I'm trying to create house rules that fix that without ruining balance. No luck so far.

Yep, that is very common.

In one of the many iterations of Heavy Gear Blitz, they introduced an objective system, and the first time we played with objectives my opponent looked at his laundry list of objectives and said "So if I wipe you out, I achieve all my objectives", I said "Wait, don't you have any recon objectives?" his response was "Yeah, but the book says that if I destroy the recon target, that counts as 'reconning' it!". :(
CADmonkey
MoF0#78
Collection:
The Bright Seraphim MF0: Rapid Attack
Demo Teams MF0: Rapid Attack
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: Tumblr; G+
CADmonkey
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:11 am

Yeah, it's a very well established clichê, to the point that some people can't even conceive a war game where that doesn't happen and just assume that's how things should always be.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Previous

Return to Off Topic