Other miniature wargaming?

Discuss things not related to MFZ - Keep it civil

Other miniature wargaming?

Postby TheSiegeHowitzer » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:16 am

Essentially this is a general discussion thread for other miniature wargaming. I will start with mine.

For some time I was, and still is, interested in Pirates CSG by WizKids. Sadly, it is discontinued, but you could find sets at various stores/online. I have a varied fleet of warships. My experience of playing the game comes from me and my friends blasting our ships to flinders.
TheSiegeHowitzer
Newcomer

Re: Other miniature wargaming?

Postby Shades_Corvid » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:45 am

I use to do Warhammer 40K and HeroClicks before that. I am retired from both now and looking to get ride of my 40k stuff. I like to use all this minifigs I have collected in some other games. There is a thread started awhile back talking about that here in Off Topic Somewhere.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Enendill » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:40 am

I used to play the following:

- Warzone (discontinued some time now, but AFAIK it has been relaunched)
- Chronopia (discontinued as well)
- Chainmail (discontinued as well)
- Lord of the Rings
- Warhammer
- Warhammer 40K

and I'm really trying not to be lured into Warmachine.

Appart from my 40K stuff, I still have all the rest.
Enendill
Chatty

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:46 am

I was clueless about wargaming before I stumbled at MFZ.

Most of the games simply don't interest me all that much as I don't like the aesthetics and themes common in the genre.

I would like to try some other "do it yourself" systems that don't require me to buy official minis or things of that sort. I'm specially interested in trying Battletech but I haven't had the opportunity to play it yet.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:48 am

I played Warhammer for a bit back in the '80s. I really liked FASA Star Trek Starship Tactical Combat Simulator, you could make some really interesting ship designs with that game. I've tried Heroclix too.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:25 pm

I knew about and had interest in these types of games but never got into any. The expense was always a strong barrier to entry for me. Many systems will eat $200 to start with easily... and that doesn't mean you have anyone to play with, nor do you have many options to change your strategy from what that initial squad is capable of.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby CADmonkey » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:52 pm

I used to play Heavy Gear Tactical a lot, until Blitz came along. I've probably played more hours of Heavy Gear than anything else, I loved the skirmish/duelling rules. Other games I've also played a lot: Spearhead, WWII microarmour; Full Thrust, simple & generic sci-fi fleet action with great vector thrust rules; Ogre Miniatures, giant cybertanks slugging it out with tacnukes in 2085!

Currently I'm collecting, but haven't played much of, Star Wars Armada. And I'm rather tempted by the Star Wars Rebel Assault skirmish wargame.
CADmonkey
MoF0#78
Collection:
The Bright Seraphim MF0: Rapid Attack
Demo Teams MF0: Rapid Attack
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: Tumblr; G+
CADmonkey
Talkative

Postby aurlaent » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:25 pm

BattleTech, Heavy Gear, Mekton, Robotech RPG Tactics. Lots of giant robots.
Also played various versions of Lego Wars!

Been using Minifigs for characters in Role Playing Games for many years also.
aurlaent
Talkative

Postby individual11 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:24 am

Played a copious amount of warhammer fantasy before its apocalypse and rebirth. Dabbled in 30k and 40k, dust warfare and dust tactics, and heavy gear blitz. Really got into AT-43, and Warmachine. I am thinking of investing into konflikt '47. They are all rather pricey and the missus did not really approve. She finds my Frames quite cute and likes the price so has given me her blessings to delve into this universe.
individual11
Newcomer

Postby NinjaLegendDoom » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:20 pm

Actually, MFZ got me addicted to Wargaming... and got me on the path of WH40K... However, I'm currently only playing KillTeam, which size is not so different from MFZ.
Erebus awaits us all...
d8Rh This is the way of the Ninja d8Rh
NinjaLegendDoom
Talkative

Postby Shades_Corvid » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:21 pm

NinjaLegendDoom wrote:Actually, MFZ got me addicted to Wargaming... and got me on the path of WH40K... However, I'm currently only playing KillTeam, which size is not so different from MFZ.

I am so sorry.

Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby CmdrRook » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:25 am

NinjaLegendDoom wrote:Actually, MFZ got me addicted to Wargaming... and got me on the path of WH40K... However, I'm currently only playing KillTeam, which size is not so different from MFZ.

Enjoy it, from what I've seen, KT and Age of Sigmar are amazing revisions of the franchise.

I play;
BattleTech (Inner Sphere/Blakist)
Infinity (Qapu Khalqi)
Warma-Hordes (sold my Menoth and Circle)
Tanks (Americans/Post-Apoc)
Squadron Strike/Attack Vector: Tactics (not settled on a faction)
Voidstriker (homebrew faction based around Battleframes as fighters)
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Postby NinjaLegendDoom » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:27 am

Shades_Corvid wrote:I am so sorry.

I know, tell it to my wallet (why can't I use MFZ for Tau suits...) :lol:
Erebus awaits us all...
NinjaLegendDoom
Talkative

Postby Shades_Corvid » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:43 am

NinjaLegendDoom wrote:
Shades_Corvid wrote:I am so sorry.

I know, tell it to my wallet (why can't I use MFZ for Tau suits...) :lol:

https://www.google.com/search?q=LEGO+Tau&espv=2&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS696US696&biw=1024&bih=702&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjh1t68-JvRAhWBKyYKHcOxAvwQ_AUIBigB

Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby NinjaLegendDoom » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:20 pm

Wow! Gonna have to study those pics for a while to figure them out!!!
Erebus awaits us all...
NinjaLegendDoom
Talkative

Postby CADmonkey » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:56 pm

I'm getting interested in Rogue Stars, a new sci-fi skirmish game from Osprey Publishing. It has an interesting looking initiative/turn sequence and squad creation rules that should let you use figures from just about any 28mm figure range (though there is an official miniatures range). There was an article about it in September's Wargames Illustrated and some recent youtube battle reports have piqued my interest: Rogue Stars by Osprey Games

Haven't actually played a game yet, but I've started collecting miniatures. Since I'm a big Star Wars fan, I've been buying Imperial Assault mini's to use with Rogue Stars (and thinking about playing the IA skirmish game too). I've also been inspired by Christopher Stone-Bush to use some lego minifigs for my first playtests of the game. I'm putting together some squads using Star Wars, Galaxy Squad & Guardians of the Galaxy minifigs.
CADmonkey
MoF0#78
Collection:
CADmonkey
Talkative

Postby eggplantman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:15 pm

I've been playing Heroclix pretty much since it's inception, but Wizkids' quality control and communication about shipping issues is getting kind of annoying. Also Marvel seems to get the best dial designs compared to the more recent DC sets, which only had a few good gems. And since I'm a DC guy... I feel shafted sometimes. I've also played a couple games of X-Wing, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on buying more than the few miniatures I already have.

Which is why MFZ has me curious, because Lego is something I'm all too willing to buy more of.
eggplantman
Chatty

Postby Shades_Corvid » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:14 pm

I am also planning to use LEGO for Rogue Stars and Frostgrave which is a topic on the Hangar as well.

Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby CADmonkey » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:43 pm

I see I've neglected this thread. I haven't been playing much non-MFZ wargames lately, but I did get in some other miniature wargaming at CamGames back in May.

First, I had my third ever game of Epic, the microramour scale version of Warhammer 40k. The GM wrote up the game here: Cangames 2017 - Part 1. I had command of the Chaos forces in the lower left of this photo:

I had an effectively infinite supply of cultists, some plague demons, a big chaos demon, a superheavy tank and some chaos knights. I used the cultists as meat shields for the plague demons, assaulting the opposing imperial forces (or space nazis, as I insisted on calling them) pinning them down & softening them up while the plague demons moved in for the kill. I'm afraid I completely misused the knights, blazing away in the open instead of moving them into cover when they started taking fire, and they ended up being wiped out without accomplishing anything. The rest of my forces stayed back and held down the flank while space marines tried to advance over the hill, until my cultists & plague demons started to outflank the space marines, then the superheavy tank & a deathwheel (which had come in from reserve) roared over the hill to wipe out the marines.

That deathweel was just covered in guns, very impressive!

I also picked this up from one of the vendors:

Space Marine Battles by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

It's a compilation of articles from White Dwarf magazine for Space Marine, one of the old versions of Epic.

Second, I got in my annual game of Ogre. A local Ogre fan brings his multiple sets of Ogre Designer's Edition to CanGames every year, and I always get in at least one game. This year I was schooled when my opponent outflanked me with a 25m cybertank! Chris (my opponent) wrote about our game in his a blog post here: CanGames Visit. Here you can see the moment when I thought I might still have a chance:

Garth (the Ogre GM) is planning a big multiplayer game for next year, which I am absolutely looking forward to.

And Chis has also expressed an interest in MFZ, so I'll be looking forward to running a demo for him & his nephew next year.
CADmonkey
MoF0#78
Collection:
CADmonkey
Talkative

Postby CADmonkey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:25 pm

Car Wars is a game my friends and I tried to play when we were kids in the 80's, and utterly failed to wrap our heads around the complexity of the rules. Since then I've had a love/hate relationship with Car Wars: loved the idea, hated the implementation.

As a result, I follow "vehicular combat" miniatures game blogs a bit, and what should I spy?

Gaslands, a "post-apocalyptic vehicular combat" game that Osprey will be publishing in November.

Shoot, ram, skid and loot your way through the ruins of civilisation with Gaslands, a tabletop wargame of car-on-car destruction in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Players control small fleets of armed vehicles in battles for resources, dominance and survival. With rules for multiple vehicle types (from motorbikes to big rigs), varied special weapons and accessories (including oil slicks, caltrops and nitro boosters), and a host of options for scenarios, environmental conditions, crew and campaigns, players can tailor games to match their own visions for an anarchic future.

Looks like it's a Car Wars style game (but not as complex!) played with converted hotwheels/matchbox cars on tabletop. Here's some photos from a game the author ran at Salute 2017:

Skimming through the design blog, it looks like the game will have a vehicle design system, factions & a campaign system. And skimming through the Gaslands twitter feed, it looks like the game will use X-Wing style movement templates:

I’ve been buying hotwheels & matchbox cars for a while with the thought of converting them for "vehicular combat" gaming. This might be the kick in the arse I need to get started on that...
CADmonkey
MoF0#78
Collection:
CADmonkey
Talkative

Next

Return to Off Topic