Anime Recommendations

Discuss things not related to MFZ - Keep it civil

Anime Recommendations

Postby Hackjob » Sun May 15, 2016 3:39 pm

Hey all, I'm a fan of Anime, but by no means an expert. I find that often the plots and writing are more sophisticated than western animation, and usually the screen "shots" are approached in a more artistic way. I grew up without cable/sattalite tv, and now the internet has allowed me to find all sorts of stuff I always wanted to watch. I thought it would be cool to have a thread where people could recommend shows they liked, and maybe where to watch them online. Please note that many of these shows/movies have mature content not suitable for children.

I'll start...

Okay, so we all know that part of Josh Newman's insperation for MF0 was "Armourd Trooper VOTOMS" right? Well now you do for sure, in fact the Chub was based on the Scopedog from VOTOMS. Well that got me to search it down online, and it's a really good show! VOTOMS also had several spin-off movies and other shows. The plot of VOTOMS has several different factions with different motivations and for me provided some good insight to how you could justify the backstory of multiplayer battles in MF0.

The same writer also produced "Dougam Fang of the Sun" first. I reccomend watching Dougram first, as it has less fancy animation (although very good for the era), and it's scale is much larger, 40-60 foot tall robots, as opposed to the VOTOMS which are like 20ft tall, very close to the scale of MF0. The plot of Dougram involves a colony of Earth rebelling (sound familiar?) and lots of politics, which I think provide a great reference of the "feel" of the political situation in MF0. Dougram is also a source of many of the early Battletech designs. So I guess I'm saying watch 'em both, I recommend watching Dougram first. The first 50 or so episodes of Dougram are on youtube, and someone posted a link to the rest of the series with the last youtube video.

Some other Anime I have enjoyed (just sticking to sci-fi for now) -

Ghost in the Shell: The Movie. The graphic novel this is based on is also very well done.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex- This show was so good that my girlfriend watched an episode with me and then wanted to watch the rest of the series, the end was so well done- we both cried!

AKIRA- a classic! The movie is great but the comics are EPIC, I can't recommend reading them enough. A story to rival Lord of the Rings, and some of the finest line work.

Macross/Robotech, I have barley scrached the surface of this series, but I really like the style of the mechs. It is one of the biggest giant fighty robot in space franchises with many movies and other spin-offs. (Plus Battletech/Mechwarrior "stole" many of the designs)

Gundam, just really getting started on this too, another HUGE franchise much loved by many

Cowboy Bebop- mercenaries cuising around space looking for work

Knights of Sedonia- a "harder" sci-fi setting with beliveable tech and an interesting rival

Altdnoah Zero- I really like all of the robot designs in this show. Logic and "real science" are used when combating the super-tech maguffin of altdnoah.

I have found the site's Anime1and Cruncyroll seem to have a good selection without being too virus-ridden.

That's it for now- I think it would be great if some other folks had suggestions on what/where to watch anime. I'd love to hear what you all think is worth a view.
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Anime Recommendations

Postby individual11 » Sun May 15, 2016 6:33 pm

All the anime you listed are fantastic.

In terms of Gundam my all time favorites are Gundam 00 and Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans. Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed are great also.

The first is about an organization that aims to disarm the world and has two seasons.

Iron Blooded Orphans is essentially about a group of child soldiers that become a mercenary organization.

Other good ones are:

Gurren Lagann, it's very over the top but epic.

Samurai 7, an anime adaptation of 7 samurai with mecha.

Vision of Escaflowne, mecha in a fantasy setting and it turns out Issac new to is the bad guy.

Noien, it's about quantum computers and multiverse theory.

IGPX, cool anime about racing

Heavy Object, about a team that has to use brains to take out giant mecha that are essentially 1 person armies

And my top three.

Samurai Champloo, kind of like cowboy bebop but in the Edo period and more hip hop rather than jazz themed.

Exosquad, an American anime about an interstellar war between humans and a geneticly created slave race.

Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion, my personal favorite of all time it's Shakespeare meets mecha.
individual11
Newcomer

Postby CmdrRook » Sun May 15, 2016 6:40 pm

It's recently come to my attention that Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: The Laughing Man is a thing that exists. One of the biggest hurdles standing between the average anime initiate and SAC is that the plot meanders around several different inter-related and independent story arcs with a "we'll get there when we get there," attitude. Some episodes are chock full of action, others hash out philosophy and what may seem like a snail's pace. The Laughing Man takes the central story arc and condenses every episode and segment involving it into a single, fluid movie format. Not what I was expecting, but the effect was stellar. Thusly, it gets a special sub-recommendation from me.

Edit: I also forgot to add Patlabor Mobile Police to the list. In a near-future Japan, Labor Frames are the best in industrial and heavy equipment. Ride along with the officers of a special police division dedicated to the new and complicated incidents that access to such efficient and articulate machines creates. A comedy in most respects, there is also a good deal of action and drama, and may very well be considered "the other half" of the MF0 genesis equation. The scale is spot on, and Joshua even borrowed some terminology from the show itself.

I ALSO forgot to mention The Third; a mecha anime centered around a post-apocalyptic female Ronin with the worlds largest gun-boner and her pet talking sentient tank. Also Alien Elves with psychic cybernetic links! Hard to tell which genre it fits under as Drama, Action, and Comedy all go hand-in-hand and toe-to-toe in equal measure for the duration of the series.

Forgetfulness Triple-Play: Full Metal Panic. This mecha anime is pretty divisive in its viewers as it swings manically from slapstick humor to borderline "edgy" violence episode-to-episode, season to season. Even so, I can heavily recommend giving the first season of this show a watch despite the supporting protagonist being that special kind of socially broken and maladjusted that usually comes from slice-of-life shows. Some might even consider it a gateway drug into the latter. The plot revolves around an armored paramilitary force operating out of a submarine, and a high-school girl who gets somehow entrenched in their dealings. If you're brave, you may just find you enjoy the mix of drama, action, and comedy (again) that the odd cast can generate.
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Postby gusindor » Sun May 15, 2016 10:48 pm

For something a bit different from normal mecha anime, I suggest giving Rideback a try. The mecha are closer in size and design to motorcycles than to tanks or fighter jets, and it starts out about racing instead of fighting, although about halfway through the heroine gets caught up in a rebellion against an oppressive government. The fast and agile mecha made for some very dynamic action scenes, and the heroine's personality was a refreshing break from the typical mecha anime hero. The smaller scale also let the mecha interact with people, terrain and other vehicles in interesting ways that you rarely see with skyscraper-sized war machines. I quite enjoyed it, although it got pulled from the site I watched it on before I could finish :( so if anyone knows a place to find it I'd be very appreciative.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Atavism » Mon May 16, 2016 4:31 am

"Akira," as you said, is pretty definitive.

"Dominion Tank Police" is a comedy where Masamune Shirow (Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed) takes a break from hard cyberpunk morality tales and blows off steam by drawing police with tanks and very little self restraint.

"Iria: Zeiram the Animation" was one of my first anime, and remains a favorite. Interestingly conceived sci-fi universe featuring futuristic bounty hunter vs. alien monster.

"Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" is a terrific manga series, and an alright movie. Everything Hayao Miyazaki touches is gold in my book, though some of the younger audience stuff becomes plotless advertisements to visit rural Japan. "Princess Mononoke" is probably the best, and "Pom Poko" is a good way to introduce your friends to how little the Japanese care about male nudity.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Mon May 16, 2016 5:12 am

Aside from my fascination with Macross/Robotech, another mecha anime I like is called "The Big O". At first glance, its a Batman the Animated Series detective anime mixed with giant mechs. The story does get confusing at times, and there are parts to this day I still don't understand, but I do like the over-the-top designs of some of the mechs used in the series. 7.5 out of 10 in my opinion.

Another one of my favorites is a lesser known title called "Kannazuki No Miko" It's about 2 reincarnated Priestess' (Solar and Lunar) that have to perform a God summoning ritual to seal an evil entity known as the Orochi before it can break from its prision and wreck destruction on the world. The Orochi even has 8 'necks' or henchmen/women that try to kill the priestess so they cannot complete said ritual, but they are protected by an unlikely ally, a mech that was supposed to serve as one of Orochi's "Necks". It's a series about love, betrayal, female relationships, and a wide variety of different mecha. The story's a little strange overall, but I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10. Also be warned that this series also touches on some sensitive topics.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Mon May 16, 2016 7:56 am

I've watched "Break Blade" recently.

While it does end abruptly after the first arch of the story (it keeps going in the manga) it's a very nice watch still.

The mechs are close to patlabor in scale (around 9m tall), the twist is that only the titular mech is a mech in the stantard definition, all the others are really more like magic constructs. As all ranged weapons in this universe are magic based, the main character is forced to fight hand-to-hand only.

The war is treated as a struggle between nations for resources, so it's fairly realistic on that respect.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Mon May 16, 2016 9:27 am

I think this thread is missing a Full Metal Alchemist mention. I've only seen the "brotherhood" version of it—which I was told is better. It's really great material, with bonus points for having some strong male and female lead characters. It's also actually on Netflix, but beware: for whatever bizarre reason they only carry the first 4 out of its 5 seasons.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby eatrepeat » Mon May 16, 2016 4:53 pm

Most important!

Legend of the Galactic Hero's

This thing is on my epic list beside the six Lord of The Rings books, original trilogy Star Wars and The Game Of Thrones books. Like I said it is superb but it is just a space opera and has no mecha. However in no way does this hinder the awesome cool series or it's prequil movie :)
If my Frames stay out of the Star Wars universe...
eatrepeat
Been Around The Block

Postby HervyB » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:47 pm

I like Anime 7 guises Yamato Nadeshiko
HervyB
Newcomer

Postby Omega_Tahu » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Mecha animes I recommend
-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Definitely a great anime
-Evangelion: not everyone enjoys it, but I personally liked it a lot
-Aldnoah Zero: pretty great anime
-Gundam Build Fighters: very light hearted, but still is a pretty great show
-Gundam 00: complete opposite of Build Fighters, very dark, and "edgy"

Other anime, not mfz related
-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: my favorite anime, it's pretty great, but the style is sorta retro
-ReZero: the main character dies over and over

There's more, I just can't remember them now.
The LF-D5 "Stub" is the top of the line in agriculture frames, designed to haul heavy farm equipment. It is also easy to repair, with standardized connections between all joints. Buy one today.

Also, it's also quite cute on the battlefield....
Omega_Tahu
Chatty

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:33 am

Atavism wrote:"Iria: Zeiram the Animation" was one of my first anime, and remains a favorite. Interestingly conceived sci-fi universe featuring futuristic bounty hunter vs. alien monster.

Can't believed I missed this name-drop. That takes me back to my VHS days, which also reminds me:

Venus Wars; Teenage mono-cycle riders (think roller-derby on single-wheel motorcycles) find that war isn't some abstract concept fought by strangers in far-away lands when it arrives on their doorstep in a heavily-populated slum on Venus. Terraforming has made the air breathable, but the atmosphere of uncertainty and isolation remains quite deadly. Patriotism, adulthood, safety, and innocence are all questioned, with answers scarce and uncomfortable.

I don't recommend this as a family film, but I do recommend it in its original subtitled Japanese voice-casting.
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Postby darksyntax » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:50 pm

CmdrRook wrote:Venus Wars...

I have to second that, although it's been years since I watched it last. IIRC the world is actually VERY MFZ.

Some of these have already been suggested, but here goes...
Black Lagoon
Samurai Champloo
Samurai 7
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
Patlabor
Knights of Sidonia

Classics:
Akira
Space Battleship Yamato
VOTOMS
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:11 pm

Can I ask that where possible, a suggestion is made on how to locate and view these recommendations?
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:34 pm

Blorf wrote:Can I ask that where possible, a suggestion is made on how to locate and view these recommendations?

I tend to visit

https://www.watchcartoononline.io/

They have dubbed & Subbed Animes plus tons of American cartoons (Samurai Jack, Steven Universe ect.) Of couse this is my personal suggestion and I am sure there may be other places to visit as well
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Been Around The Block

Postby CmdrRook » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:53 am

Blorf wrote:Can I ask that where possible, a suggestion is made on how to locate and view these recommendations?

I use gogoanime for most everything anime. For more western stuff, I use watchcartoononline, as well.
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Postby Shades_Corvid » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:57 am

I just finished Netflix's Kuromukuro and I really enjoyed. It is a man out of time/small alien invasion/mecha anime. Several character but not too many given it is a series. Many characters have an arc/development and the series has a proper ending.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby personzz~ » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:37 am

One word. Zoids...
Image XD HAHAHAHA, of course, BOOM d8Ra
personzz~
Chatty

Postby Raedien » Thu May 04, 2017 10:18 pm

If you're a fan of Gundam, check out 08th MS Team.
Raedien
Young Gun

Postby VitorFaria » Thu May 04, 2017 11:25 pm

Raedien wrote:If you're a fan of Gundam, check out 08th MS Team.

I would say check it even if you're not, it's that good.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Return to Off Topic