[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - life is made of time

life is made of time

Discuss things not related to MFZ - Keep it civil

life is made of time

Postby Red_Robot » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:29 am

The past couple months here on the Hangar have been really enjoyable for me. There has been a great sense of community and creativity that has been infectious. Though I've been going through a rough spell, the sense of fun that has been blooming and tended here has been a refuge for me. I know I come off as a blowhard often times, but I wanted you all to know that I have enjoyed rejoining the community here and seeing new people joining and being inspired by the creativity. I have felt inspired to write again, which is something I haven't felt in a long time.

This past Sunday, a very, very dear and close friend of mine passed away. It was very sudden, and a shock to everyone who knew him. We had been friends for 17 years. He was one of the first friends I made when I first moved up here, and it was a friendship initially forged over the gaming table. The friendship became more than just gaming buddies, though he never stopped being that either. He was the kindest man I have ever met in all my life, a true mensch and an all around good guy.

Over the past two years, with the exception of three instances, every game of MFZ I played involved him. He handed me many defeats, but regardless I always had a good time with him even when I was losing. I very strongly associate this game with him. It was an excuse for us to meet up and roll some dice, while talking about life, and being kids again for a moment while making explosion noises with our mouths . I don't think his passion for the game quite mirrored mine, but at the very least he humored me, because it was time spent with friends. Without him, there will be a conspicuous space at the table that I don't think will ever be filled.

But if I owe a sense of debt to this game, it is because it was an excuse to spend time with my friend. When I discovered Mechaton, it wasn't in a quest to find a new game to play and meet new people, but a quest to find a game that everyone in our gaming group could find accessible and fun. It was an excuse to prolong friendships. It was a macguffin for hanging out.

My friend had a quote from Bruce Lee he often liked to use. If one says they treasure life, then they should not waste time, because life is made out of time. We spent a lot of time together over the years. And in the eyes of some, we spent a lot of that time wasting time...pretending to be chevaliers and swashbucklers, or emo corporate killers, or super heroes in capes and tights, or giant monsters trashing a city, or even pretending to pilot giant fighty robots. But none of that time was wasted. Because it was time spent being with him. Talking with him. Laughing with him. And in a world where sorrow often comes too easily, laughter is a wonderful gift.

I don't write this to be maudlin, or for some outreach of sympathy. I just wanted to express how much I have appreciated things at the hangar lately. But...my attempts at silly little robots and silly stories will likely go cold for a while. The joke isn't that funny anymore. But I didn't want people to think I had grown bored or aloof or disinterested. Neither do I wish to cast a cowl over things here. Keep being creative. Keep playing with your toys. Do what you do that brings others joy. That is not a waste of time.
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Re: life is made of time

Postby Mantisking » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:41 am

My condolences. And, believe me, you are the farthest thing from a blowhard. Take some time to process your grief. The game will be here when you get back.

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:28 am

Real sorry to hear that man. I'll miss the silly, hope it comes back soon.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Vitoria » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:44 am

You didn't cast any cowl, you just made me want to call my friends right now and play even more, I will always value and remember those that share a great time with me.

I second Mantis here, take your time to heal, we will be here when you come back.
Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby darksyntax » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:10 pm

Games have defined my life more than any other single thing. I get it. Losing someone is tough, but it sounds like you have a handle on acknowledging the good times and appreciating what you had more than lamenting its loss. Don't lose that. Thoughts and prayers to you and yours.

Side note: have you ever seen the play ? I caught a production at PAX Prime a few years ago. It's truly inspiring.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby gusindor » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:41 pm

I just want to say that what you wrote here was truly beautiful, you captured what I love most about this game and gaming in general. My heart goes out to you and your lost friend, and I'll echo everyone else that you should feel free to take as long as you need to heal. Because no matter how long you stay away, we'll welcome you back with open arms.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby FrostCollar » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:08 pm

Take all the time you need. The loss of a friend is always terrible, but it sounds like you had good times together.
FrostCollar
Talkative

Return to Off Topic