Build a PC

Discuss things not related to MFZ - Keep it civil

Build a PC

Postby Obbyking » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:48 pm

So you guys are all really awesome, and I trust you more than any other internet forum or location.

So Im wanting to build a good gaming PC for under 1000 dollars. Any ideas of where to look? And should I do a kit or scratch build?

Spoiler: show
Miner note here, but I have two old Kingston KTH-XW4300/1g 1 gig ram thingys, and if Im able to I want to try and use them.

If that's not a possibility, that's fine, I'll use them for something else.
"Because Felt is not enough."
Obbyking
Talkative

Re: Build a PC

Postby XGundam05 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:28 pm

Scratch build and Newegg.

AMD CPUs aren't as bad as they once were, so they're great for mid-range gaming on a budget.

You'll want at least 4-8 GB of ram, ram is pretty cheap though.

If you go nVidia, you can probably get a 6-700 series for fairly cheap, and it should be okay.

Don't forget to figure out your power supply wattage, a 500w is probably a minimum, 750w should be pretty safe even if you SLI.

Also, a full size case is great if you have the space. Plenty of room for components and cooling.

Good luck :D
XG5 Systems Blog - "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby darksyntax » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:50 am

Every pc I've ever built has started with reading recommended builds on Tom's hardware. Buy parts from a Fry's Electronics if you lucky enough to live near one (the guys in the computer components area are generally helpful too on matters of compatibility and such), otherwise Newegg.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:18 am

Last time I built I got a nice deal from Newegg with a DIY combo package. Basically they just box up parts that are known to work well together. If like me you have plenty of knowledge to put it together but don't follow/keep up on all the current specs, it's a good way to still get DIY pricing and parts without all the research time.

Admittedly, you're still likely to get a better machine for the same price if you do all the research, but depending on what you have for time it's worth considering.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Return to Off Topic