[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - The Perfect Sword

The Perfect Sword

Discuss things not related to MFZ - Keep it civil

The Perfect Sword

Postby Sovietshadow » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:52 am

I decided to post this here, instead of having to go through all the hassle of Yahoo Answers. Now I realize that "the perfect sword" is kinda impossible, as to each his own, but what I want to know is how great a sword can there be? How tough and versatile can we make a sword? I mean in terms of material (steel, titanium), thickness (1 inch, 4 inches) shape (straight, leaf) and method (hammered, folded). Now, I hypothesize that "the perfect sword" would be made of folded titanium (which is both lightweight and strong) using the "Uthgard" method, which uses an extra-hot furnace and extra charcoal for fewer impurities and greater strength, with the shape being one of my own designs: the base is three inches thick, using a relatively softer titanium in the middle for more "bendy" properties. This section maintains a fairly straight angle up the blade and is used for basic "hack and slash" purposes, while the last few inches of the blade angle sharply inward (and the titanium is made to be slightly harder than the main body) for stabbing through points in your opponent's armor. Thoughts on this "perfect sword?"
You laugh at fate, and fate will laugh right back at you.
Sovietshadow
Talkative

Re: The Perfect Sword

Postby Atavism » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:23 am

I'm hardly an expert, but I don't think modern metallurgy requires all that hammering and certainly not folding, as that was just to even out impurities and carbon levels back in ye old Japan. I'm also thinking modern steels are strong and flexible enough that you don't need all that varying hardnesses stuff.

I'm also not sure that titanium is necessarily desirable, except possibly in alloy, due to the loss of density and the difficulty involved in resharpening that metal.

I think "Wootz" Damascus is the way to go, which is not to be confused with decorative folded or "woven" steels commonly referred to as Damascus steels. It's manufacture actually results in carbon nanotubes in the steel and is basically the closest thing to a monomolecular saw you can reasonably make.

"Perfect sword" is hard to define in terms of shape and reach because it so depends on the specifics of the fight and your opponent's loadout, but I've always liked the forward slanting seax and the curved falcata.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Vitoria » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:35 am

Watch .
Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby Sovietshadow » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:12 pm

Thanks atavism. Like i said, i'm not exactly the most knowledgable about swordcraft, which is why i ask. If you ask me to make the perfect crossbow, then sure i could do that, but swords are another matter.
now let the crissbow discussion begin :D
Sovietshadow
Talkative

Postby Atavism » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:37 pm

Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Foghammer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:14 pm

I'm by no means an expert either, but I've looked into "ideal" properties of metals for sword making. The short answer is there is no answer. The more complicated answer would be the hypothetical swordsmith asking you want you want the sword to do, and in great detail. Also, there's the argument that a sword is only as good as the one who wields it.

All that said, for a well-rounded multi-purpose sword, you'd want a balance of flexibility and hardness. Too hard and it will break. Too soft and it won't hold an edge. Too long and you'll expend more time and energy in each swing, but too short and you won't have enough reach or weight for chopping (which not all swords are good for anyway).

It's kind of like asking what the best loadout is for a mobile frame.
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby Sovietshadow » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:49 am

Very true! Now I may not know too much about what material does what, but i do know what the sword needs to do. The ideal material would have good flexibility on its width to avoid being to brittle and snapping (although that's actually a lot harder to do than movies say it is), with a strong length that holds its sharp edge. I think we can all at least agree that my shape idea would work well in almost any situation, regardless of slashing or stabby needs (although length would vary).
Sovietshadow
Talkative

Postby Atavism » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:37 am

Atavism
Mod Team

Postby gusindor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:52 pm

If you're willing to bring in more sci-fi elements, your options expand considerably. Materials with a better mix of hardness and flexibility are the first thing that comes to mind, but there are lots of other things you could consider. Laser swords, for example, don't need to worry about hardness, and have fewer issues with weight. On the other hand, energy consumption becomes a concern. Heat, vibrations and chainsaw mechanisms can improve cutting power, but also consume energy. If you want more versatility, you could try a transforming weapon!
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Foghammer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:36 pm

Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:20 pm

CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Foghammer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:09 pm

Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby gusindor » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:17 pm

gusindor

Postby CmdrRook » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:23 pm

CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby NimbusAConflict » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:27 am

Mordenkain's Sword obviously. You don't even have to hold it. It mills the riffraff all by itself, without half the risk of ye catching a stabber to the giblets.

When the End of the World comes, I can assure you, I will be partying to hard to notice.
NimbusAConflict
Grizzled Veteran

Postby gusindor » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:02 pm

gusindor

Return to Off Topic