Little Wars

Discuss things not related to MFZ - Keep it civil

Little Wars

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:36 pm

VitorFaria (she/her)
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Re: Little Wars

Postby Ryujin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:25 am

You should read Jon Peterson's Playing at the World for a good overview on how tabletop gaming developed up to the late '70's.
Ryujin
Chatty

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:46 am

Ryujin wrote:You should read Jon Peterson's Playing at the World for a good overview on how tabletop gaming developed up to the late '70's.

I will definitely look for it
VitorFaria (she/her)
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby gusindor » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:21 pm

That is pure awesomeness.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Blorf » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:33 am

gusindor wrote:That is pure awesomeness.

Well, I wouldn't go with "pure"...

the book wrote:A game for boys and the more intelligent sort of girls who like boys' games

That particular bit is unfortunate.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:19 am

Blorf wrote:
gusindor wrote:That is pure awesomeness.

Well, I wouldn't go with "pure"...

the book wrote:A game for boys and the more intelligent sort of girls who like boys' games

That particular bit is unfortunate.

It is, but keep in mind this is from over 100 ago, closer to the end of slavery than to today.

Not that this make it less wrong, but he wasn't a lone sexist man in an equalitarian world, woman could barely vote back then.
VitorFaria (she/her)
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby darksyntax » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:21 pm

Blorf wrote:That particular bit is unfortunate.

Agreed. And sadly that statement was intended as a compliment and acknowledgement that there are "girls who like boys' games". Regardless, I think the take away here is that gaming in its many forms has been around longer than most realize and our gaming hobby is not new.

On a similar note, if you've never heard of Senet: board gaming from 5500 years ago. Another thing I found interesting in my trip to Egypt a few years ago was the use of spreadsheets to manage temple inventories for festivals across seasons; there's a really good one on a wall in Luxor. Look it up.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:57 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Not that this make it less wrong, but he wasn't a lone sexist man in an equalitarian world, woman could barely vote back then.

Yes, I understand the context. But if we're going to correct it, we have to do that actively—trying to ignore it won't make it go away. Which reminds me, someone just posted a quote out of the handbook that I must have missed when I degendered all references to frames.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:08 pm

Blorf wrote:
VitorFaria wrote:Not that this make it less wrong, but he wasn't a lone sexist man in an equalitarian world, woman could barely vote back then.

Yes, I understand the context. But if we're going to correct it, we have to do that actively—trying to ignore it won't make it go away. Which reminds me, someone just posted a quote out of the handbook that I must have missed when I degendered all references to frames.

You are right about that.

I didn't thought about degendering references to frames, I'll keep this in mind in the future.

Edit: I posted the quote, and I've corrected it as well.
VitorFaria (she/her)
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby gusindor » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:14 pm

It's true that this is horribly sexist now, but in the time and place when it was written, just acknowledging that some girls liked things aimed at boys was about as gender-equal as it got (and sometimes better than what still happens today). I think that instead of faulting H.G. for being behind our times, we should applaud him for being ahead of his own.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Return to Off Topic