The Death of Monty Oum

Discuss things not related to MFZ - Keep it civil

The Death of Monty Oum

Postby Foghammer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:23 pm

This is so tragic. I am a huge fan of his RWBY series. Twice as bright, half as long, though, eh?

Still... he was so ambitious, int he best way imaginable, and so profound in his zeal for creativity and creative work... It's just awful.

I think I'm going to work on some tribute frames.
Foghammer
Old Guard

Re: The Death of Monty Oum

Postby CmdrRook » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:33 pm

I was not a fan of RWBY, but I was astounded to hear that we'd lost another bright, young, and promising developer, and needlessly at that. He was happy with his work and had a very promising career ahead of him, and that's more than most of us can say.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby spacemonkey » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:37 pm

My wife and I are big fans of RWBY and all of its zany awesomeness that stemmed out of Monty's passion and creativity. We were crushed to hear of Monty's passing yesterday. :cry:
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby gusindor » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:28 pm

Monty Oum was one of my greatest heroes. It's tragic that he died so early, but at least he made the most of the time he had and left an awesome legacy behind.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby XGundam05 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:45 pm

Indeed tragic, I am a fan of all of his works (originally saw Dead Fantasy).

As he was an extremely creative individual, I too think the best way to remember him is in creating something, in any medium, as a tribute.
XG5 Systems Blog - "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby spacemonkey » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:40 pm

I remember finding "Dead Fantasy" and "Haloid" at different times and being blown away by them. When I discovered much later they were both made by the same person behind the awesome (first) trailer I had just seen for RWBY, I was pretty well sold on the series right there and then. The later trailers only solidified the desire to see the show. RWBY isn't a show that appeals to everyone but for a certain me it checks all the boxes for action, humor, mystery, and silliness that make each episode a delightful slice of escapism. Sadly that those moments will now be a little bittersweet knowing their creator and director is gone but hopefully they'll hold up as a legacy of his massive creative talent and energy.

For any who may have missed it, Rooster Teeth put up this touching Tribute to Monty Oum.
Last edited by spacemonkey on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Zerovirus » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:11 am

I really didn't know what to feel when I heard that Monty died at first. I'll be honest; I wasn't a fan of RWBY much at all, despite how much I loved the man's past work in animating awesome action scenes. For some reason I just didn't like the way RWBY was written, and I badmouthed it to a few of my friends early on in the show's development. In retrospect, I feel kind of guilty about that now- like I somehow precognitively badmouthed a dead man's passion project.

So, on behalf of me and my friends, I retract all the bad things I ever said about your show, Monty. Here's to the crew at Rooster Teeth finishing the show even without you and carrying on your dream to the finish.
Zerovirus
Been Around The Block

Return to Off Topic