Destiny

Discuss things not related to MFZ - Keep it civil

Re: Destiny

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:20 pm

whiteboye37 wrote:And graphics aren't that bad, maybe in comparison to super elite PCs but otherwise across the board they are still nice nowadays and again people who say otherwise are just being a little full of themselves. I suppose after spending a couple of checks on a PC and its parts would do that to me too...

As soon as you stop accusing people of elitism and insulting them because they disagree with you, you will find that they actually aren't that elitist but may have a point. As long as you maintain your current outlook, that will not change.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Viper Tesla » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:56 pm

With regards to Destiny, I was a huge fan of the Halo series - and when the Destiny reveal first came out I was excited to see more of it at the time. With the original Halo, I was a huge fan of the original XBox, and with the generation to follow the 360 felt like a superior multi-platform title machine (although I bought and loved my PS3 for several different exclusives - Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, etc)... but now, I just don't... really care about Video Games anymore. Maybe its because I was busy with University: it felt like my time in Japan in 2012 was kind of the "switch" for me when it came to really playing video games. I've never been much of a PC gamer - the only I reason I play PC games now is because of the Indie scene on Steam (and I use a 360 controller when I play). Looking at Destiny, I don't see anything that stands out visually, and I don't seem to be able to sit my butt down and get "lost" in a game anymore... the last Halo I really loved was Reach, and Halo 4 was just sort of perfunctory for me. Honestly, I think I might just be a cranky old man now and just don't care, or maybe it's because we got burned out on FPS games with the same basic modern day and/or sci-fi tropes... over... and over... and over again. The last CoD game I REALLY embraced was CoD 4 because it was very much relevant to the era in which it was produced. Glancing at Destiny, I don't see anything that seems "new" to me - it has the Bungie fingerprints all over it, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Bungie is a great company that makes quality titles. I just don't feel engaged anymore by most of the games that come out. The only thing that I think I'm looking forward to playing is probably GTA V when it finally comes to Steam this Fall... otherwise, the last couple of (PC) games I played were a bunch of Steam titles, and SWTOR.
Viper Tesla
Chatty

Postby whiteboye37 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:12 pm

PC gamers fall under a stereotype just like console gamers just like anything else. I don't like gamers who play on PC because of their overly strong viewpoints and their love of expressing that any chance they get. Don't me wrong some are fine and some are worse than others. And like foghammer said, building a PC not only seemed like rocket science but also was crazy priced compared to buying a console and being able to play right away. It just flows better. And every debate has multiple points.

So let's just end on the note of gamers need to enjoy the games and try to not bicker or prove anything because who the heck really cares? I know I'm getting sick of the conversation since its a pointless debate. Either way destiny will be good I just hope the hype train doesn't crash and the beta doesn't ruin the experience/fun of the game *cough* crysis 3 *cough*
whiteboye37
Talkative

Postby MittenNinja » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:30 pm

Viper Tesla wrote:Glancing at Destiny, I don't see anything that seems "new" to me - it has the Bungie fingerprints all over it, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Bungie is a great company that makes quality titles. I just don't feel engaged anymore by most of the games that come out.

I thought the same thing earlier on. After getting some hands on time during the Destiny Alpha, however, it changed my mind. This is a special game. It is groudbreaking, but not in a way that's easy to recognize or explain. Take everything that was amazing about the diablo series (the quests, co-op, exploration, dungeon baddies, and leveling up your character to set up different builds and gear), add tight fps controls and gameplay, and throw in some serious competitive multiplayer as well. I think this is truly the first game that has substantial focus on both the campaign and competitive multiplayer mode, most games focus on one while the other is more of an afterthought. Its fairly easy to get burnt out of the same old thing after logging hours playing a game, Destiny has multiple, significant types of gameplay that all directly influence each other in one way or another. You can play solo, co-op, or pvp and switch gears at a moment's notice and no matter which one you play, you will be adding to your experience.

I really do think this is the next big thing.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Viper Tesla » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:38 pm

I hope it succeeds! It'd be great to see a game really accomplish all of those avenues of play. I'm all for it succeeding - as you said many of them have done one or two very well or their secondary modes suffer from afterthought-itis. Developers also seem to struggle with their own hype: many tout greatness, only to succeed moderately well (and thus shoot themselves down for making a great game, rather than an amazing one).

I think part of my problem is that I tend to burst my own immersion bubble in the games I'm playing in... for example, I adored Bioshock, but then in one of the later levels (wherever it had the lava/glass tube hallways), I was walking around and looked out of one of the portholes only to realize that I wasn't "in the ocean", but instead looking out of a hallway into a wall papered "wall" a foot beyond that. Or other games when I look out into the sky/distance and realize that it's just a big skybox/decorations that are reachable because they aren't "there". Of all the games of the last console generation, one of those that I liked the most was Deadspace 3, because I felt like I was moving between actual derelicts/places... really I'm just my own worst enemy when it comes to enjoying a game, but that's my subconscious for me.
Viper Tesla
Chatty

Postby MittenNinja » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:01 pm

I don't think immersion will be an issue for ya. If you drop down in say, old Russia, for a patrol mission you can walk the entirety of all the areas on earth on foot. Then say you want to play some multiplayer. You go into orbit on your ship and select crucible. Then, say the mp map is on the moon, the loading screen is you traveling to the moon on your ship and orbiting with your team until you finish loading. Then you drop down to the map and begin play. Its all super seamless and immersive.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Foghammer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:47 pm

MittenNinja wrote:I don't think immersion will be an issue for ya. If you drop down in say, old Russia, for a patrol mission you can walk the entirety of all the areas on earth on foot. Then say you want to play some multiplayer. You go into orbit on your ship and select crucible. Then, say the mp map is on the moon, the loading screen is you traveling to the moon on your ship and orbiting with your team until you finish loading. Then you drop down to the map and begin play. Its all super seamless and immersive.

I've not been following the game too closely, partly because I wasn't sure I was going to get a next gen console at all, but mostly because I want it to be new and wondrous. So few games have that quality anymore since they're hyped so hard and developer blogs are all over the place... This sounds really great though, and without giving too much away.

BUT... I am very curious about how the "fantasy" elements (is that a good way to put it?) play into the game. IIRC there's a "Warlock" class you can play; how is the name "Warlock" justified in a futuristic shooter? Is there something like magic/psionics? Can you divulge any of that without getting spoilerish?
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby MittenNinja » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:35 pm

Foghammer wrote:I've not been following the game too closely, partly because I wasn't sure I was going to get a next gen console at all, but mostly because I want it to be new and wondrous. So few games have that quality anymore since they're hyped so hard and developer blogs are all over the place... This sounds really great though, and without giving too much away.

BUT... I am very curious about how the "fantasy" elements (is that a good way to put it?) play into the game. IIRC there's a "Warlock" class you can play; how is the name "Warlock" justified in a futuristic shooter? Is there something like magic/psionics? Can you divulge any of that without getting spoilerish?

The super simple explanation? Space Magic

The more in depth explanation? (Without spoiling anything, which isnt hard because bungie has been keeping pretty tight lipped about the story) the traveler, which is the big orb like thing hanging out in the sky, unlocked the ability to weild "the light" to the guardians. Technically, all three classes use "space magic", just in different ways.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Foghammer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:40 pm

MittenNinja wrote:Technically, all three classes use "space magic", just in different ways.

Is it okay if I "squee" a little?
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby Viper Tesla » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:17 pm

MittenNinja wrote:The super simple explanation? Space Magic

I lol'd.

It's like magic. From Spaaaaaaaaaaaace! (Alright, back to work -breaks over)
Viper Tesla
Chatty

Postby MittenNinja » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:04 am

Here's a breakdown of how all the classes work,, or at least how they worked in the alpha although I wouldn't expect too drastic of changes going forward.

But yeah, the space magic thing is actually how bungie described it too. In fact, one of the promotional t shirts reads "I'm a wizard from the moon" or something like that.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby MittenNinja » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:47 pm

So we found out that the Beta will have 4 story missions, 4 multiplayer maps (with one game mode: Control), 1 strike mission, and a fairly large area for explore/patrol. That's roughly four times larger than what was available in the alpha. Super pumped!
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby MittenNinja » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:44 pm

I'll be starting a live stream of the Beta here in about 30 minutes or so.Feel free to join in!
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby MittenNinja » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:21 pm

DOWNLOADING
I'll be live as soon as its done
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby MittenNinja » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm livestreaming again if anyone wants to watch!

http://www.twitch.tv/mittenninja
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby MittenNinja » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Streaming again today with some Titan gamplay!
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby gatlinggouf927 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:17 am

-Walks around the forums thinking it's been a while
-Sees a thread about Destiny
-Decides to walk on in and see whats up
-Reads Ced23Ric's posts
-Walks away in frustration

-Pops head back in-

Hey mitten, friend me on PSN: GatlingGouf

We can be console sloggers together lol.
I came from the bottom, now I made it to the top. Newtype flow I'm the hottest on the block. Somebody tell these haters that I'm never gonna stop. Till I kill em all like a colony drop. I'm yellin out Sieg Zeon, Sieg Zeon

-Richie Branson-
gatlinggouf927
Grizzled Veteran

Postby MittenNinja » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:27 pm

Sent you the request. I honestly haven't been on the PS much since the beta ended. Everything else seems so boring now...
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby gatlinggouf927 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:33 pm

MittenNinja wrote:Sent you the request. I honestly haven't been on the PS much since the beta ended. Everything else seems so boring now...

i hear ya, i play the occasional free PS+ game, which have been good, but man the 9th needs to hurry up lol
I came from the bottom, now I made it to the top. Newtype flow I'm the hottest on the block. Somebody tell these haters that I'm never gonna stop. Till I kill em all like a colony drop. I'm yellin out Sieg Zeon, Sieg Zeon

-Richie Branson-
gatlinggouf927
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Foghammer » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Mother of God, this game is awesome.
Foghammer
Old Guard

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic