Destiny

Discuss things not related to MFZ - Keep it civil

Destiny

Postby MittenNinja » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:14 am

So with the Destiny Beta launching in less than two weeks, I'm curious to see if anyone else on here is looking forward to playing?

Also, if anyone is on ps4 and wants to join up for a fireteam hit me up. My psn name is Mittenninja (big surprise).
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
User avatar
MittenNinja
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:38 pm
Location: St Paul, MN

Re: Destiny

Postby whiteboye37 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:49 am

thats too bad, im on the xbox one and was wondering the same thing. well if anyone wants to add me my xbox GT is TheHermaeusMora at least this way we can get a tally/checklist of people for either console now
whiteboye37
Talkative
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:19 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Destiny

Postby Ced23Ric » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:09 pm

Destiny approaches!
Interest is in good condition.
Bungie game.
Interest gains +5 points to strength.
Not a PC game.
Interest takes a critical hit.
Interest dies.
Destiny fades into obscurity as a casualty.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
User avatar
Ced23Ric
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:07 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Destiny

Postby whiteboye37 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:37 pm

im not a fan of pc gaming because of the attitudes of pc gamers. if we're all gamers why cant we all just play our games and be chill about it? elitism=/=kills the game
whiteboye37
Talkative
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:19 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Destiny

Postby Foghammer » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:58 pm

whiteboye37 wrote:im not a fan of pc gaming because of the attitudes of pc gamers. if we're all gamers why cant we all just play our games and be chill about it? elitism=/=kills the game

Might be that Ced just doesn't have a console to play on.

If I get Destiny (and I really want it), I will most likely be playing it on the XBone. I don't have one yet though. I don't have an active LIVE account at the moment, but when I do, I am Foghammer. Shocker, right?
Image
User avatar
Foghammer
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:51 pm
Location: Tennessee, USA

Re: Destiny

Postby MittenNinja » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:09 pm

Foghammer wrote:
whiteboye37 wrote:im not a fan of pc gaming because of the attitudes of pc gamers. if we're all gamers why cant we all just play our games and be chill about it? elitism=/=kills the game

Might be that Ced just doesn't have a console to play on.

If I get Destiny (and I really want it), I will most likely be playing it on the XBone. I don't have one yet though. I don't have an active LIVE account at the moment, but when I do, I am Foghammer. Shocker, right?

Dude get a ps4, way better and cheaper console. Plus all the destiny exclusives are going to Sony.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
User avatar
MittenNinja
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:38 pm
Location: St Paul, MN

Re: Destiny

Postby Foghammer » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:34 am

MittenNinja wrote:
Foghammer wrote:
whiteboye37 wrote:im not a fan of pc gaming because of the attitudes of pc gamers. if we're all gamers why cant we all just play our games and be chill about it? elitism=/=kills the game

Might be that Ced just doesn't have a console to play on.

If I get Destiny (and I really want it), I will most likely be playing it on the XBone. I don't have one yet though. I don't have an active LIVE account at the moment, but when I do, I am Foghammer. Shocker, right?

Dude get a ps4, way better and cheaper console. Plus all the destiny exclusives are going to Sony.

If Halo 5 had a snowball's chance in the hot place of being released on the PS4, I might. As it stands, I only bought one game for the PS3 (Ni no Kuni), and it was for my girlfriend who doesn't even have her own PS3 to play it on.

My brother plays XBox, my roommate plays on XBox, my previous roommate plays on XBox... It's not really that I'm loyal to the hardware. And if I hadn't bought a Wii U*, I might get both.


*Let's not get into this; it was a mistake and I regret it. Also girlfriend related.
Image
User avatar
Foghammer
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:51 pm
Location: Tennessee, USA

Re: Destiny

Postby MittenNinja » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:49 am

Destiny is already better than whatever Halo 5 could be. But I get the whole "all my friends are on Xbox" thing.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
User avatar
MittenNinja
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:38 pm
Location: St Paul, MN

Re: Destiny

Postby whiteboye37 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:07 am

i love the controller honestly. besides i thought the exclusives were just timed exclusives? maybe not but either way the game has to be good for me to consider getting the dlc, no need for another hype train crash... gta v, dark souls 2, crysis 3, halo 4, any rachet and clank game on ps3 the list could go on but id better not jinx it anymore than i already am..
whiteboye37
Talkative
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:19 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Destiny

Postby MittenNinja » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:52 am

Some are timed, yes. But Xbox isn't getting them (at least the initial sets of armor, weapons, mp maps, and missions) for a whole year after Sony gets them. That's fall 2015.

My reasoning is, unless you can't live without halo, there is no exclusive for Xbox worth having the inferior system for. Everything runs smoother and at higher resolution on the ps4 and it hasn't had any hardware issues (yet). The xboxone has already had a number of hardware failure problems and can't even run cod:ghosts at native 1080p (which isn't even really a next gen game). In fact ES:O got pushed back because the build they were running wouldn't run properly on the one due to the hardware.

As to your controller point, you can get Xbox styled controllers for PS and PS styled controllers for Xbox. That way you get the system and controller you want regardless of the brand.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
User avatar
MittenNinja
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:38 pm
Location: St Paul, MN

Re: Destiny

Postby XGundam05 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:36 am

Foghammer wrote:*Let's not get into this; it was a mistake and I regret it. Also girlfriend related.

Xenoblade Chronicles X, that is all. /offtopic
XG5 Systems Blog - "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
User avatar
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 6:17 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Destiny

Postby whiteboye37 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:29 pm

I don't trust 3rd party makers for controllers because they are normally crap. As for ps4 exclusives..... what are they again? Bloodborn? Sure but I already got demon souls so take 2 I'll pass. The game that looks like monster hunter looked cool sure. There's some hi-tech fps game I can't recall but its nothing special especially since there's other games that do it better.

As for graphics, I want good graphics but I don't need to see sweat dripping off peoples nose hairs when they are running around. The current/now last gen graphics were pretty good and everything from here on out is only better and if u still persist then well get over it since its not the most important part by far.

The kinect, as much as people hate it.. its kind of cool. If I'm forgetting where a certain setting or option is I can tell it to go there and I can record things on the fly without needing to do much editing.

In close people will pick blue or they will pick green. They are nearly the same besides an exclusive here or there. U can stay with what u have and I myself where I am WITHOUT the need of being an over hyped fanboy about it being a few pixels off when compared side by side. I just feel safe knowing my credit card info hasn't been stolen through my console and with that, kinect, real controller, and the few exclusives that I like I'll stay put
whiteboye37
Talkative
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:19 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Destiny

Postby MittenNinja » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:04 pm

As to your controller concern, there are two options to solve that. There are a handful of extremely high quality 3rd party controllers, most of them are made for pro gamers. Secondly, there are also adaptors that you can use to use a first party controller.

As far as exclusives go, the two big ones currently are uncharted 4 and the order 1886. Killzone: Shadows Fall is a great single player shooter and the new infamous game is also an exclusive.

As far as graphics, its not necessarily about something being prettier, it has more to do with how smoothly a game will run. If a system is using the extent of its power to barely keep up with the demands of a game, your frame rate will suffer. The game will be choppy, and "lag out" from time to time. You may not see much if this now because most titles aren't going to be pushing the consoles limits yet. In a year or two this will be much more prominent.

From a tech standpoint the kinect is absolutely amazing. Everything that it can do is a step towards the future of interactive technology and I recognize that. But paying an extra hundred bucks to be able to turn my console on with my voice? Nah, I'll pass.

I don't want you to get the idea that I'm saying you're wrong for wanting to stick with your box, I'm not. I'm just stating that from my standpoint, the ps4 seems to be a better console with more staying power this generation. Last gen? It was the 360. I've owned both Microsoft and Sony's systems since they've been making them, along with most of Nintendo's prior to the Wii. Every person I've talked to that has bought a ps4 has been extremely happy with it, and most of the people that have bought Xbox ones have been too. But there are a number of people that are regretting the decision and wish they would have got the ps4. And I think the fact that twice as many ps4s have sold says something too.

Long story short, if you have a Xbox one and are happy with it, more power to you. If you have a ps4 and are happy with it, awesome. If you don't have either, actually do the research on them and buy which one works better for you. For me that was the ps4.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
User avatar
MittenNinja
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:38 pm
Location: St Paul, MN

Re: Destiny

Postby whiteboye37 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:49 pm

One last note, totally off topic seeing as we already pushed it there. I wish Nintendo would make its games on Sony/Microsoft consoles. It would be great lol
whiteboye37
Talkative
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:19 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Destiny

Postby Foghammer » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:03 pm

I can't live without Halo 5. I have to know how they plan to justify Cortana's death and how they plan to replace her as a character.

Being Bungie's new project, I know Destiny's could be better, but I'm gunshy about the online aspect. Unfortunately online gameplay has been a largely negative experience for me. I want to try Destiny out because it's an FPS and Bungie is promising something unique, but so did the people who made Guild Wars 2 (which was a huge let down for me; I bought a new computer just for it and everything).

Also, Peter Dinklage is lending his talent to the game. Pretty cool.
Image
User avatar
Foghammer
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:51 pm
Location: Tennessee, USA

Re: Destiny

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:34 am

I don't have a console, no.

And it is not about elitism for me - I prefer the PC, simple because I didn't want to play games with dumbed down controls, QTEs, pixelated textues at low resolution and have shaders replaced with transparent graphics insteads of, well, actual shaders. That has been the case up to the PS3/XBox360. I played Resident Evil 6 (which was released 1.5 years ago) and felt like 1993 has called, asking if we still need their texture compression techniques. I am a PC gamer, my hardware can handle massive textures, breath-taking lighting effects and particle onslaughts. My graphical enjoyment is suffering because of console ports. My snappy controls are artifically encumbered, and I have to play using pretty dumb key layouts which I often cannot remap to the mouse because of console ports. I also have reduced options to change the performance of a game, because on consoles, there is fixed hardware - no need for much adjustment. I am also often greeted with way, way too large, non-clear type fonts, because of console ports. Additionally, many console ports have snap-aim, snap-cover and similar functions because console controls are just not as crisp and precise as PC controls.

We are all gamers, yes. But game makers are making sure that PC gamers have every reason to look down on console gamers. Worse graphics, worse controls, worse options, worse precision. I would not care in the slightest if these issues would stay were they come from and only affect the audience that has to suffer from these things, but since it affects me as a gamer on a platform with superior possibilities, I am both unhappy with the game developer(s) and any game that decides to go console-to-PC-port. Console exclusives are fine - just automatically uninteresting because I would not acquire a TV (I don't watch TV), a soundset (... I have no TV) and a suitable place (I have no TV setup - you see how this is the thread running down the line here...) to put a piece of hardware that is inferior to my gaming/working/CAD/video editing/music playing/photoshopping/text processing/PDF creating/emailing/chatting/movie watching/downloading machine. Also, console games are behind on patches, have smaller modding communities and possibilities, and are generally not as user-adjustable as PC games - for exmaple, I edited my Borderlands config files to change the look and improve performance while improving visuals, and I quadrupled my game's difficulty using memory alterations . I find consoles in general quite inferior to PCs, also due to the above mentioned issues. Any game that wants to stay on a console can stay there.

That is, again, not elitism, but a partially sujective, partially objective statement of observable properties of the various platforms.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
User avatar
Ced23Ric
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:07 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Destiny

Postby whiteboye37 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:12 am

I would say the only thing I agree with u on is the modding. If someone has problem aiming using the joystick that's their own issue but its not a set back. And graphics aren't that bad, maybe in comparison to super elite PCs but otherwise across the board they are still nice nowadays and again people who say otherwise are just being a little full of themselves. I suppose after spending a couple of checks on a PC and its parts would do that to me too...
whiteboye37
Talkative
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:19 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Destiny

Postby MittenNinja » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Totally agree with the modding, that's why I play elder scrolls and most other rpgs on PC.

As far as controls, you've been able to hook up a mouse and keyboard to your console since ps2. It definitely gives you more precise control compared to the dual analog. But, dual analog controllers have gotten much more precise over the years as well. I used to be a hardcore mouse/keyboard advocate. But now, I actually prefer a dual analog for pretty much anything other than RTS or 4x games.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
User avatar
MittenNinja
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:38 pm
Location: St Paul, MN

Re: Destiny

Postby Foghammer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:37 pm

I'm more in the school of "I don't care about graphics if the game is good." Some of my favorite games are 16- and 32-bit 2-d side scrollers. Knights of the Old Republic was made available for the PC, but I got the console version. No one in my family can use a cellphone without help, let alone a computer, so convincing them at the ripe old age of 16 that a $1600 gaming computer would be worthwhile was really difficult [read: impossible]. The local public school had little to no technology classes available (I got to take keyboarding. Yay.) so I wasn't exposed to hardware, or the concept of building my own computer. It might as well have been rocket science to me at the time. So I grew up on console games, only I'm much more interested in what the game developers do than what the hardware is capable of.

Fable is graphically terrible, even updated for the 360; there are pops and pixels everywhere and things render so slowly in some places that there are just blobs of color sometimes. I enjoy the childish humor and combat though, even if they're not on the level of complexity as a game like Ninja Gaiden. Dynasty Warriors -- hack-n-slash slog fest. Couldn't tell you why I enjoy them. Mindless entertainment, I guess.

And don't even get me started on Megaman Legends for the first Playstation. I could play that game for days and never get bored, even now.

Guild Wars 2, as I've already mentioned as a massive let down, was easily THE most gorgeous game I have ever played. Hated playing it though.

If Destiny turns out to be weak graphically, but with amazing gameplay, I won't complain.
Image
User avatar
Foghammer
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:51 pm
Location: Tennessee, USA

Re: Destiny

Postby MittenNinja » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:04 pm

Beta details were just announced. For Sony it will start July 17th and end July 27th.The Xbox beta will start July 23rd and end on the 27th.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
User avatar
MittenNinja
Old Guard
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:38 pm
Location: St Paul, MN

Next

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest