Age Confessions thread

Discuss things not related to MFZ - Keep it civil

Re: Age Confessions thread

Postby NimbusAConflict » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:46 am

or go on killing spree's. Never underestimate the ability of highschool to induce violence.
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/
When the End of the World comes, I can assure you, I will be partying to hard to notice.
NimbusAConflict
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:33 am

But I thought it was all the fault of rock music, Hollywood and video games.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby gatlinggouf927 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:24 am

Dukayn wrote:But I thought it was all the fault of rock music, Hollywood and video games.

damn kids and their halo, and call of duty, and grand theft auto!

lets go back to a more wholesome time in gaming like streets of rage, and street fighter, and mortal kombat... games with good moral lessons! right?

-cough- i love all the above mentioned games -cough- XD
I came from the bottom, now I made it to the top. Newtype flow I'm the hottest on the block. Somebody tell these haters that I'm never gonna stop. Till I kill em all like a colony drop. I'm yellin out Sieg Zeon, Sieg Zeon

-Richie Branson-
gatlinggouf927
Grizzled Veteran

Postby peglegpete » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:24 am

33 here. i think my first may have been the space scooter too. my brother and i started with the space stuff. I quickly moved on to the medieval, and then pirate stuff. i had almost exclusively pirate legos for a long time.

i think my old blue bin full of legos may exist still somewhere...but it's pretty likely that my dad gave them to my step-siblings, and then were inherited by nieces and nephews.

i'm basically starting from scratch again, and i find myself in "old man yells at sky" mode when looking at the newer sets. "what's this? three different universes of scifi legos? in my day, we only had one! And we LIKED it!"
peglegpete
Chatty

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:05 pm

The Hydromancer wrote:High School prepares you for the rest of your life, the worst it is the better you will be able to cope.

Yeah, that's the thing: it generates a society of people who went through high school; it's self-perpetuating — and it turns out, deeply desocializing and discourages academic curiosity. And, in fact, they don't even cope better. Homeschooled kids who have cross-age interactions with other kids and adults are generally socialized better, have more respect for authority, and wield authority more responsibly because they're having human relations the entire time. Not to mention, disproportionately getting into colleges and academic/creative careers.

Not that homeschoolers can't be totes hutching crazy. It's also a way to isolate kids from the rest of their society, but saying that high school is better than a theocratic isolationist compound is damning with faint praise.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby The Hydromancer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:11 pm

Not by any means saying its a good thing. I went to one of the bottom ranked schools in one of the bottom ranked states. Just saying experiencing the drama in high school better prepared me to deal with it in the 'grown up world.' You'd think people charged with defending the free world and ranging in age from 21 to 65 would be able to work alittle more professionally. And before you think that throwing some 21 year olds in the mix lowers the standards, the dirty old men with 20+ yrs in the military before going contractor are usually the worst offenders, second only to the catty cougars who like to hit on the young impressionable airmen.
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hydromancer/
Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Soren » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:16 am

See, I would argue that's exactly the problem. The mentality J's describing boils down to "once I'm old enough to make the rules..." with the expectation, because older people have certainly applied it to you, that you'll be allowed to make any arbitrary-ass rule you like. I think that's independent of schooling, though, and more generational; Baby Boomers are conspicuously rotten when it comes time to hold up their end of a deal, especially when there's an opportunity to loot the societal till and have some fun (independent of political orientation, by the way; all sides do it, although they use different justifications.)
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Xero010 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:59 am

There is a pretty good reason for my anti societal behavior. Most people just aren't worth talking to, and I often wonder about some of my school mates and how they will end up functioning once high school. When you guys were in high school what was the average nerd(YES, I know what it actually means, just being stereotypical) like? I'm interested in knowing what went on before I was born. . .
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Strike Fast. Strike Hard. Strike without Mercy.
HexTech Corp by Xero908, on Flickr
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Zero Revenge » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Xero010 wrote:When you guys were in high school what was the average nerd(YES, I know what it actually means, just being stereotypical) like? I'm interested in knowing what went on before I was born. . .

Well, I doubt I was the average nerd (which means I probably was). I was not only nerd/outcast, but son of a town-police officer. Drugs are pretty big in my High School [even more so now], so that was automatically a bad mark on my reputation.

Very few friends (and sadly, am not really close to most of them nowadays - College really was were I could blossom as a person.), I got bullied constantly, and that would lead to a huge amounts of fights. High School, absolutely sucked. I walked out of High School with about 5 friends, an avid love of History, and enough scars to prove to my father I was a man.

Oh, and I guess the diploma too. But this is probably better meant for another thread.

School, for me, became just something I had to suffer through until I could see those close friends, and usually end up playing Armored Core in one of our basements... Find yourself a small group of friends. Stick with them. Focus on your schoolwork [I didn't...], but don't let it consume you. Try and have fun, enjoy those weekends.
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby XGundam05 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Xero010 wrote:When you guys were in high school what was the average nerd(YES, I know what it actually means, just being stereotypical) like? I'm interested in knowing what went on before I was born. . .

My time in high-school wasn't before you were born, although not by a whole lot. Anywho:
I was one of a bare handful of nerds in a rural high-school (I grew up on a cattle farm). I can count them on one hand. But, no-one really messed with us much. That's in part due to being in the general grouping of outcasts which included several farmboys (myself included), and a guy who could bench ~400lbs. (Him and I had been friends since 1st grade). Being mostly silent (and proving I could hold my own on an occasion or two) also garnered me the undeserved reputation as a badass you didn't mess with

Although, we (the nerds) really only fit in this group as well as we did by submerging our nerdier tendencies and desires. We could still do some things, everyone thought Lightsabers were awesome...so building those was no issue, but things like D&D and Wargaming were kinda out of the question. Star Trek? Dr. Who? Nope, those got you shunned...until Senior year, and then a friend and I had a loooong discussion of what would happen if Star Trek met Star Wars...and we didn't give a rat's fart 'cause we were out of there.

Nowadays, nearly everyone's a "nerd"...most people play video games, nearly everyone has some sort of smartphone, pretty much everyone uses the internet and a computer. Granted, I got to grow up in a time period not too terribly dissimilar as quite a few played video games (mostly us farmboys were the ones who didn't get to >.>) and the internet was really starting to come into it's own at the time.

But, I do remember getting picked on a lot before puberty. And I'll never forget what my dad said to me "If you have to defend yourself in a fight at school, you bring home a tooth and we'll go to COSI while you're suspended". (This was in elementary school, but still awesome)

Zero Revenge wrote:(and sadly, am not really close to most of them nowadays - College really was were I could blossom as a person.)

This part is so very true. My interests and theirs diverged too much, we were mostly together because we were the general grouping of outcasts, as we all grew up, we found others with interests more akin to our own.
XG5 Systems Blog - "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby NimbusAConflict » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Well, lets see. I went to school in the 90's, so I got to be the guy who was wearing the black trench coat when that highschool shooting took place. That was fun.
Then of course, people thought it was fun to try and pick on the quiet guy with the book. or the MtG cards, hell, pokemon cards. But I also had the hall pass card and all the admin passwords to every computer in the building. and permission to carry cutting tools. It was rather miserable. The only thing that kept me from getting beat up was the fear that I was crazy and would stab someone, and the one time I told our quarterback he was going to be benched for his grades... He only sat for one game while the 'error' was fixed...

College though! Started my own Anime Club. College is where life picks up.
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/
When the End of the World comes, I can assure you, I will be partying to hard to notice.
NimbusAConflict
Grizzled Veteran

Postby thunderclam » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:33 pm

I'm 26 and fairly well-adjusted. That's what Plo Koon tells me on our dates.

Lego has always been with me.
thunderclam
Chatty

Postby Zero Revenge » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:35 am

thunderclam wrote:I'm 26 and fairly well-adjusted. That's what Plo Koon tells me on our dates.

Holy Crap. Another 26 year old? Astonishing. We're a rare breed. Hail to the Tiger.
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby gatlinggouf927 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:53 am

Zero Revenge wrote:
thunderclam wrote:I'm 26 and fairly well-adjusted. That's what Plo Koon tells me on our dates.

Holy Crap. Another 26 year old? Astonishing. We're a rare breed. Hail to the Tiger.

Yo bunny rabbit's where its at XD
I came from the bottom, now I made it to the top. Newtype flow I'm the hottest on the block. Somebody tell these haters that I'm never gonna stop. Till I kill em all like a colony drop. I'm yellin out Sieg Zeon, Sieg Zeon

-Richie Branson-
gatlinggouf927
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Zero Revenge » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:18 am

Silence morsel.
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby A YATES INDUSTRIALS » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:26 pm

well I will be 40 here in about a week... been playing with the bricks since I can remember.I am also a carpenter so I do a lot of modular building :D
o)-<|:
A YATES INDUSTRIALS
Grizzled Veteran

Postby HatRabies » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:40 pm

21 here. Been building with LEGO since as long as I can remember. I did have some random dark ages, MFZ actually brought me out of the latest one.
Toys, toys, toys.
The name's Josh

http://bit.ly/1aoI85j
You should follow the above link and vote for me starting October 10th! I will be eternally grateful!
HatRabies
Been Around The Block

Postby PD2525 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:14 pm

turned 21 this month, still looking for a flask with a lego plate on the front.
PD2525
Talkative

Postby Foghammer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:37 pm

I am 25, will be 26 in November.

I remember getting Lego sets as... cereal prizes...? Froot Loops sticks out in my memory... and as McDonalds happy meal toys. Until MFZ came along, I thought Legos were all about minifigs, that the bricks were just there to build stuff for your figures to stand on. And now, some of you old codgers and whipper snappers are bricking up different versions of my designs! I think I've come a long way in the past several months thanks to this community.

I'm surprised at how young a few of you are! Thaddeus, Xero, Milt... Hats off to you for hanging with this crowd of brickmasters!
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby Foghammer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:40 pm

gatlinggouf927 wrote:Yo bunny rabbit's where its at XD

[/fistbump]

But I'm also a Scorpio, so there is a sharp pointy thing with venom hiding behind the fluffy exterior. :D

I'm so cool. lololol
Foghammer
Old Guard

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic