Dogfight '68

This forum is for any non-Frame, non-Alpha Bandit creations that will be rolling dice during play.

Dogfight '68

Postby Luke_BMM » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:50 pm

I haven't really parsed the dogfight rules or their variants, but any excuse to try to make a Tiger II and a Draken is a good excuse.

I think I like how the F5 came out, but I think the Draken needs to be either blockier or sleeker. This version is in an awkward middling state, I think.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Re: Dogfight '68

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:47 pm

And now I have a really good reason to dig some of those old tail fin parts and try to use them!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Francisco Duarte » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:29 am

Oh, these are neat. Wasn't expecting to see these so quickly. Now I must also post my builds, as soon as I can crank them out. :)
Francisco Duarte
Talkative

Postby Francisco Duarte » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:08 am

So, I finally got a little time to try my take on the Draken. As per usual, I tried to maintain the design simple and use as few parts as possible. I am also trying to keep the scale within the confines of IO, meaning that the Draken would be a mid-sized fighter. I also made a few concessions here and there in order to make the model as sturdy and easy to manipulate as possible.

And also a pic with a Chub-sized Centurion for scale. I realize that they're almost on the same scale.

Sorry for the poor quality, though, I had to take these with a cell phone given that I didn't have my camera available.

Maybe I'll try a F-4C next.
Francisco Duarte
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:19 pm

Nice shaping with the wedge plates, Francisco! It sells the Draken silhouette really well!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Francisco Duarte » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:49 am

My collection for this mod is growing, soon I'll be able to post battle reports!

I've added two F-89 Scorpions to the set. Although not remarkable by any means, the Scorpion has always had a special place in my heart due to its size and good looks. I'm not happy with the color scheme yet, as the models were built with whatever parts I had at hand after having built my other two sets. Eventually I'll try to make them more cohesive color-wise.

Regarding the systems, the Scorpion should mount two rocket launchers and a sturdy airframe due to its size, plus a pair of short range missiles, for: d6G d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d8Rr d8Rr

This probably makes it way more powerful than it was in real-life, but seems fair game-wise. I'm also assuming the aircraft are using MG pods for burst range. If you want you could negate this and make it somewhat more realistic but probably less fun.

I have also updated the Draken, making the aft fuselage sleeker and more in line with the real thing.

A comparison between the three aircraft I currently own:

And a size comparison with a Chub-sized Centurion:

Again, sorry for the low quality of these pics, I'm still using a cell phone because of the camera being unavailable atm.

Still unsure about what to do next, maybe I'll try a MiG, who knows?

Also, Luke_BMM, have you updated your models?
Francisco Duarte
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:20 pm

great work with those, just like the real planes!

I wouldn't worry too much about the colors, they look great with that gray scale theme already!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Francisco Duarte » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:12 am

Hi, guys!

My collection keeps growing! I've added a pair of MiG-17s to the set, which means I may be able to properly offer battle reports in the near future. My cell phone camera strikes again:

These models are really simple, and I think they work really well while remaining in scale. Each model only uses 16 parts. I really like simple models like these, not only for being inexpensive, but also because I find their simplicity appealing. Nevertheless, the wings are somewhat frail, something I ought to tell any players I may gather.

Each MiG is equipped with a second short-range gun plus a long range gun plus missiles for: d6G d6W d6W d6Rh d6Rh d6Rd d6Rd d8Rr d8Rr

Here they are alongside the other models.

I would like to add a Il-28 to test the turret rules, but I'll probably work some F-4s or f-5s next.
Francisco Duarte
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:58 pm

Those Migs are deliciously simple. I feel like building a bunch of those!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Francisco Duarte » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:16 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Those Migs are deliciously simple. I feel like building a bunch of those!

Oh, you should! I would love to see your take on it!

As for my models, I use exactly 16 parts.

3x 1x1 plates
1x 1x3 plate
2x 1x4 plates
1x 1x8 plate
1x 2x3 plate
1x 1x2x2 coner
3x 1x1 technic brick
1x connector peg with cross axe
1x 1x2 45º roof tile
2x 1x1 Transparent roof tiles

I started by making the wing section. Start with the 1x3 plate, stacking two 1x1 plates on the front stud, and then mounting the 2x3 plate centered in the aft two studs. then I place the last 1x1 plate on the center, back, of the 2x3 plate. Then I put one 1x4 plate on the front right stud on the 3x2 plate, at an angle. Repeat for the other side.
Next, I set the 1x8 on top of the structure, with one one stud extending to the front. I place one of the technic bricks under this space to make the air intake.
Now for the back. I join the two remaining technic bricks with the connector peg, and then place them under the 1x8 plate, right behind the wing section, to make the tail and the engine exhaust.
The fin is a matter of mounting the corner plate at an angle over the 45º roof tile and placing the later at the back end of the 1x8 plate.
Then on the second and third studs of the 1x8 plate, counting from the front, we place the small transparent roof tiles to make the cockpit.
Voilá, you got yourself a MiG-17.

Hope this makes sense - you have probably got the gist of it already, anyhow.
Francisco Duarte
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:33 am

If anyone is looking for inspiration, this Flickr feed should help. It has a lot of microscale planes that look like they could fit alongside the ones people have posted.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:31 pm

Great reference, Mk! Those micro airplanes are indeed great!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Francisco Duarte » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:10 am

What an amazing find! Thank you so much for sharing the link, Mantisking!
Francisco Duarte
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:53 am

VitorFaria wrote:Great reference, Mk! Those micro airplanes are indeed great!
Francisco Duarte wrote:What an amazing find! Thank you so much for sharing the link, Mantisking!

Glad to help.

Turns out I had a couple of creations of my own.

Microscale Jets, on Flickr.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Francisco Duarte » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:07 pm

Neat. Your own creations, I reckon?

Don't know why, but seeing tiny jets gives me a childish joy for some reason.
Francisco Duarte
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:15 am

Francisco Duarte wrote:Neat. Your own creations, I reckon?

Yes.

Francisco Duarte wrote:Don't know why, but seeing tiny jets gives me a childish joy for some reason.

I completely understand.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Francisco Duarte » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi!

Finally managed to take some proper pictures of my fighter models. I also tried to show more detail in case any of you wants to give these a shot yourselves.

I'm also trying to build a F-4, but the shape is really hard to emulate properly. I may need new parts for the tail section.
Last edited by Francisco Duarte on Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Francisco Duarte
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:02 pm

Nice pics, Francisco!

I wouldn't recommend using Facebook to host pics, thou. They will get blocked by VPNs on many workplaces and there's very little to assure they will stay there in the first place.
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Francisco Duarte » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:56 am

Finally managed to work on my F-4C Phantom. I really like how it turned out.

Compared with the other models, the Phantom is simply huge, however I think they are pretty much to scale. It really shows how much fighter design evolved during the first couple decades of the jet age.

Also, a preview of the games to come, with a reconstruction of sorts of a dogfight over Vietnam (or the Middle East) circa 1968.

For the effect of Dogfight '68 it ought to be equipped with an advanced radar, ECM and extra missile rails (including 4 OSR and 4 artillery range OSR) for: d6W d6W d6Y d6B :arrow: d8Rr d8Rr d8Rr d8Rr d8Ra d8Ra d8Ra d8Ra

I'm also assuming it is equipped with an under-slung gun pod for the white-dice short range attacks.

VitorFaria wrote:Nice pics, Francisco!

I wouldn't recommend using Facebook to host pics, thou. They will get blocked by VPNs on many workplaces and there's very little to assure they will stay there in the first place.

You are right. I see that Facebook pics also get erased all the time, which means I should use a more stable hosting platform. For now I'll be using Deviantart until I get something better.
Francisco Duarte
Talkative

Return to Vehicle Designs