Mariposa Station Experimental R&D Division, aka Red Team

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Mariposa Station Experimental R&D Division, aka Red Team

Postby Arctic Banana » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:55 am

Time for another of my frame companies, made up almost entirely of some of the first frames I built.

ImageRed Team
The Mariposa Station Experimental Research and Development Division, a.k.a. "the Mad Science Department" (and not to be confused with the regular R&D Department), is known for its use of nonstandard and experimental Frames, untested prototype equipment, and unorthodox tactics. Consisting of a motley array of eccentric engineers, caffeine-addicted scientists, loose cannons, and the kind of military personnel that don't quite deal well with authority and have to be put somewhere, given a military budget and left largely unsupervised after the higher-ups discovered that less oversight of these lunatics yielded greater results.

ImageIron Kong frontImageIron Kong rear
The Iron Kong was designed to be a tough-as-nails close-combat Frame. It can carry a variety of attachments on its back mount (up to and including the double-barreled Thunderhammer Siege Cannon (not pictured)) but the current pilot favors a simple simple single-use dual SRM launcher to keep the weight down. The Iron Kong is faster than it looks, fitting it's desire to close in as quickly as possible and get punchy. One of the oldest Frames in the company, it's gone through more tweaks and modifications than any other Frame, mainly to the legs and torso, but the arms are still mostly original and untouched. And yes, it is in fact named after and heavily inspired by the Iron Kong.
d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6B d6W d6W d8G d8Rr

ImageGaram frontImageGaram rear
The Garam is intended to be a slightly scaled-down and more cost-effective Iron Kong, being only about as tall as a Chub (but still nearly twice as wide). Like the Chub, the Garam is sturdy, versatile, and can carry any variety of attachments, and seems likely to be adopted as a standard front-line soldier Frame if they ever get it out of testing and into production. Unlike the Kong, the Garam prefers to be tactically flexible, carrying a shoulder-mounted rotary cannon, but it's every bit as dangerous in melee as its older, larger sibling.
d6Rd d6Rd d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6G d6W d6W

ImageTarantula frontImageTarantula rear
Based on the ubiquitous Scrambler design, the Tarantula is a nimble recon unit equipped with an advanced radar system similar to an AWACS* for superior battlefield observation capabilities. It also carries smoke launchers and a pair of short-range anti-Frame rockets for defense, but if the Tarantula finds itself in range of the enemy then something has gone wrong.
(* Okay, fine, it is an actual AWACS system that they stripped off an unattended aircraft. The Air Force filed a formal complaint. It was ignored.)
d6B d6Y d6Y d6G d8G d6W d6W d8Rr d8Rr

ImageThunderhammer frontImageThunderhammer rear
In a departure from the agile Frames composing the rest of the company, the Thunderhammer is a slow lumbering behemoth designed for a single purpose: ruining your day from very far away. Named after the double-barreled Thunderhammer Siege Cannon mounted on its back on a turret that offers a 180-degree arc, with a two-person crew consisting of a pilot and a dedicated gunner, heavy armor plating added after discovering that something this big is a huge bullet magnet, and a rear tow hook, it has one obvious weakness with its land speed: it's not. It's not speed. However, do remember the laws of physics, specifically "force equals mass times acceleration" and a little thing called "inertia". So maybe don't be standing between this beast and its destination.
d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6B d6G d6W d6W

ImageRoadrunner and Wallaby frontImageRoadrunner and Wallaby rear
The Roadrunner and the Wallaby are literally leftovers, built using spare parts simply to get more Frames on the field. This has not affected their performance, being roughly equal to most standard soldier frames and far easier to repair. Unable to decide whether the top-mounted or underslung gun was better, one of each was built. They're actually completely identical, just one is flipped upside-down. Which is which? I don't think they're even sure.
d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6Y d6G d6W d6W

ImageKobold Melee Custom frontImageKobold Melee Custom rear
ImageShop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nothing more than a Kobold combat engineer Frame modified for combat. Its performance is pretty much the same as the base Kobold, except that the Melee Custom is intended for combat. It's commonly seen wielding a polearm taller than itself, but has increasingly taken to carrying a double-barreled shotgun instead.
d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6Y d6W d6W d8G
If playing Dungeons & Dragons has taught me one thing, it's that you should probably not trust someone who introduces themselves with the phrase "GREETINGS FELLOW MORTALS IT IS I."
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Re: Mariposa Station Experimental R&D Division, aka Red Team

Postby Trokodile » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:40 pm

Nice job with this company!

I still can't quite figure out how to build a kobold, though. Do you think you could provide instructions or a breakdown by any chance?
my FULL gallery

The war has begun...
It is here...
It rages across the galaxy...
All that remains to be seen...
Is not who will win...
For there is no winner in war...
There is just one who loses less.

"Press #E0ECEE for stealth mode!"
Trokodile
Been Around The Block

Postby Arctic Banana » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:11 pm

Sure, it's right here --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFftZt4
If playing Dungeons & Dragons has taught me one thing, it's that you should probably not trust someone who introduces themselves with the phrase "GREETINGS FELLOW MORTALS IT IS I."
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby Trokodile » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:32 pm

Thanks! I love this frame; it's so cute yet it seems dangerous at the same time.
I'll be sure to make one once I get some more headlight bricks.
my FULL gallery

The war has begun...
It is here...
It rages across the galaxy...
All that remains to be seen...
Is not who will win...
For there is no winner in war...
There is just one who loses less.

"Press #E0ECEE for stealth mode!"
Trokodile
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:49 pm

Hexapod frame! Nice! We don't see those everyday!
VitorFaria (she/her)
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Arctic Banana » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:52 pm

Trokodile wrote:Thanks! I love this frame; it's so cute yet it seems dangerous at the same time.

Kobolds are probably my favorite D&D monster, I just love the little blighters. The frame's appearance is inspired by Chris Zito's kobolds.
Arctic Banana
Chatty

Postby KungFujiApple » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:33 am

Stellar company. All of these are looking good, especially Tarantula and Thunderhammer, but the Kobold takes the cake. Great work :)
- KFA frame compilation
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Frame Designs