Incident at Trapananda: Frame Companies

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Incident at Trapananda: Frame Companies

Postby Mark Sakura » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:00 am

This should give you an idea of how much I can procrastinate: back in February I made a bunch of frame companies to run a game with friends. It's taken me this long to re-do the stations and take better pictures. I'll be putting them up all week.

Fourteen years ago, on the planet Alicanto of the Tau Ceti star system, a worker’s revolt at the Trapananda gold mines sparked a wave of anti-colonial sentiment and general tensions between the local planetary government and its much richer neighbors on the planet Jiguang. Since the revolt, the mines have lain dormant, with competing lawsuits from activist groups, corporations, and planetary governments keeping the site in legal limbo, even as the mines fall into disrepair, and leaking chemicals threaten to turn the surrounding countryside into an environmental catastrophe. Now Trapananda will once again become a flashpoint, as various factions send frame companies to re-take Trapananda.

The APLF (Alicanto Planetary Liberation Front) a local chapter of the Free Colonies movement, gained in power and popularity, to the point where they were on the verge of gaining a referendum on independence as part of a negotiated cease-fire treaty.

That influence imploded three years ago when the APLF-C, a radical splinter group, hijacked the Urashima, a unique luxury cruise ship, and threatened to ram it into the Jiguang Transit Gate. Though the hijackers were ultimately foiled by Urashima ship security forces, the enormity of what had been attempted—a terrorist act that would’ve killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people—led to the universal condemnation of the APLF. Their disavowals of the Urashima job and protests that it had been completely unauthorized mostly fell on deaf ears.

Most of the APFL is gone now, either deserted, gone underground, cooling their heels in jail, or killed in action. The Dust Rooks are all that’s left to defend the rights of Alicanto’s most downtrodden. They’ve been on the run for over a year, patching their battered frames together with chewing gum and duct tape, and it shows. They thought they’d found a respite, but now the authorities are closing in, and the Dust Rooks will have to drive their attackers away, or at the very least, buy enough time for their support crew to evacuate. The odds are against them, but that’s nothing new—the Dust Rooks are prepared to risk everything to preserve their dream of a truly free and independent Alicanto.

Pictured
Stations: Ore processing facilities
Frames: (Clockwise from top left): ST-08 Fat Snake, ST-02DX Commisar (Xuhan Corp. Model), WT-04F Hi-Leg, Scrambler, ST-07 Chub, ST-02DX Commisar

All frame designs by Soren

Stay tuned: more coming soon!
Runaway Urashima: A short novel set in the Mobile Frame Zero universe.
Mark Sakura
Talkative

Re: Incident at Trapananda: Frame Companies

Postby CmdrRook » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:00 am

What a tremendous company, and I don't say that merely because I like the name. Which I do. The simple act of replacing a few parts with common but off theme colored equivalents does wonders for expressing the isolated and desperate nature of their pilots. Bravo. I'm eager to see the rest.
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:49 am

Those are absolutely gorgeous, really nice work, Mark!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby personzz~ » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:27 pm

often all i can think of to say on this forum is "clap clap"
this is really quite excellent, it's good to see some more "down to earth" original companies, fits the universe and as cmdr rook said yeah, the color helps to accentuate the dire circumstances,
and yes, that is a really nice name. also hard for me to pronounce at first :P
Image XD HAHAHAHA, of course, BOOM d8Ra
personzz~
Chatty

Postby KungFujiApple » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:21 am

You have such great ability that you can put together frames with mismatched pieces and they still look great. Your work has continually amazed me. Your style has a very well polished and complete look to it, which I find particularly awesome, because your MFZ models are usually on the smaller scale. As always, great job and thank you for sharing.
The backstory is awesome too :D
KungFujiApple
Talkative

Postby Mark Sakura » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:27 am

Thanks for the positive feedback. The Dust Rooks were the first time I've played with mis-matched color blocking, to try to convey that this company has to make repairs on the run, and don't have time to re-paint their patch jobs. It also helps when I'm working with tan bricks, where I've got a much more limited parts supply than with other colors.

On to the next team...

Ijad: Wardens of Eshanu.

Refugees from an Ijad colony that suffered a total ecological collapse due to unexpected collapse, the homeless Ijadih wandered from system to system, begging for barely enough supplies to keep their cramped freighter running, until they finally wound up in Tau Ceti, around the planet Alicanto. The local government was too busy caught up in its squabbles with its neighbor to pay them much mind, and nobody complained too much when their ship had to make an emergency landing on the planets surface.

The Ijad refugees were greatly relieved when their scouts reported a nearby site that suited their needs ideally—a series of building and caves abandoned by the local humans. And, though the soil and water were full of chemicals that were toxic to humans, the animal species brought over by the Ijad could thrive there. And so, the Ijad quietly moved their camp to their new colony, which they named Eshanu, and all was well.

True, occasionally some human came and claimed that this land was owned by humans on the planet Jiguang, or some other group, but this too ridiculous to be taken seriously. The land and buildings had clearly been empty. The claim was so silly that even other humans didn’t believe it either. The Wardens of Eshanu worked the land and made it prosper, as was right, and that was what mattered.

They even deigned to tolerate the humans known as the Dust Rooks, so long as they kept to themselves and did not interfere with the Eshanu colony. These humans fought against the control of distant rulers, so they had some moral sense to them.

That was until they brought their quarrel with the other humans to the doorstep of the Eshanu colony. The Wardens of Eshanu had lost their old home. They’d suffered for years of deprivation and toil until they could carve out a place they could call home again. And if they needed to fight to protect what they’d earned, then fight they would.

Pictured
Stations: Eshan food production facilities
Frames (Back row, from left): Egg Strider, Spincrab, Behemoth, followed by three Luna-Ticks in the front row.

Behemoth by mraichelson, Egg Strider is a modded version of mantisking’s Egg Walker. The rest are all my original designs.
Mark Sakura
Talkative

Postby KungFujiApple » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:55 am

(Jaw drops) that is.... Beautiful. Backstory, great!(love how you tied it I to the Dust Rooks) Colors and blend, awesome! Design, spectacular! That spider crab is so ridiculously cool. The way you have it holding the missile launchers is great and the optic side eye just completes the look so well. Your work is awesome. Thank you for sharing :)
KungFujiApple
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:45 am

Oh, man, we don't see a Behemoth in a while.

You nailed the look really well!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:48 am

Great job on both squads. Nice to see you still using the Egg Strider design.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Mark Sakura » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:31 pm

@KungFujiApple--Thanks! It actually took a while before I got the hang of building small. If you look back to my first frames, most of them were pretty monster-sized.

On with the companies:

The Golden Ring Company are the elite pilots of the TTM. The Jiguang Transit Gate grants them lavish salaries and generous resources to purchase and customize their own mobile frames. Their top priority is to make sure that nothing threatens the all-important lifeline to the rest of the known galaxy. Normally, that means patrolling the space around the gate itself, but these are unusual times. And right now, the number-one threat to the gate has to be the terrorists of the APLF.

Alicanto has insisted that this is their problem to deal with, but it’s been years, and these criminals remain at large. The ASDF has shown itself to be ineffective at best, and deliberately obstructionist at worst, while the other wings of the Solar Union government sit on their hands and counsel patience. Jiguang is tired of waiting.

What’s more, now the terrorists have holed up in Trapananda, causing who knows what kind of damage. It’s bad enough that the site has been ordered evacuated by (Alicanto) court orders while the ownership and liability claims wind their way through legal hell, but now the terms of those orders are being ignored—possibly deliberately, as a prelude to some kind of nationalization scheme.

The Xuhan Expeditionary Corporation, which invested good capital to establish the mines at Trapananda, is not happy with that. The TTA isn’t happy about the lack of gold ore travelling through the transit gate, either. And the TTM exists to make their bosses happy.

Jiguang will send the Golden Ring Company to solve this problem once and for all. Their job is to capture or eliminate the armed terrorists of the APLF, and if that job requires recapturing the legal property of XE Corp, well—that’s a nice fat bonus for them.

Pictured:
Stations: TTA Drop Pods
Frames (Clockwise from top left): Tempest Dragoon, Ysengrin “Goldhorn”, OMF-G29 Betty Sue, B-025XH Razor, OMF-G43 Maggie, AYI Tokoeka

This company was an excuse to steal from my favorite builders
Tempest Dragoon by zerovirus, Goldhorn is a heavily modded Goldfang, also by zerovirus.
OMF Betty Sue and Maggie by eduty.
B-025 Razor by Blorf
Tokoeka by A. Yates Industrials
Mark Sakura
Talkative

Postby Aardvark17 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:38 pm

DANG THAT COLOR SCHEME IS LIQUID AWESOME POURED ON THESE FRAMES!
The colors just scream Asian Dynasty, glad you chose names that fit that aesthetic well. This entire company is solid, along with the others, even if I didn't comment on them.
I just want to say that I just absolutely LOVE just about everything with this company.
Fantastic job.
(Very sorry but I haven't been reading the fluff yet, the textwalls are a bit daunting and I don't have the most time now that school's back... Hopefully I'll be able to read them and catch up)
Sponsored by The Bike CompanyTM and Big Ol' Bikes, Inc.TM
Aardvark17
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:44 pm

I was totally nerding out of this pic, going all "Oh look, a Razor! A Betty Sue!"! :D

You make the community a huge favor by bringing those back!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby spacemonkey » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 am

Aardvark17 wrote:DANG THAT COLOR SCHEME IS LIQUID AWESOME POURED ON THESE FRAMES!

+1 to that! Honestly, I'm loving the color schemes on all the companies so far.

Really digging the background for all these units as well. I look forward to the rest of the units being posted. :)
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby KungFujiApple » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Aardvark17 wrote:DANG THAT COLOR SCHEME IS LIQUID AWESOME POURED ON THESE FRAMES!
The colors just scream Asian Dynasty, glad you chose names that fit that aesthetic well. This entire company is solid, along with the others, even if I didn't comment on them.
I just want to say that I just absolutely LOVE just about everything with this company.
Fantastic job.

I could not completely agree more. Personally those colors individually would not be my first choice, but wow...WOW, did you blend them amazingly! The frames, even though based on other great frames, are modded really well. Especially on the B-025XH Razor, that extended head really completes the look. Another jaw dropper, thank you for sharing these works of art :)
KungFujiApple
Talkative

Postby Mark Sakura » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:00 am

ASDF 3rd Company "The Night Hawks

The Urashima Incident had profound effects throughout the Tau Ceti system, among which was the formation of the Alicanto Self-Defense Forces. Instead of the citizen militias that had existed only to assist the UMFL, the ASDF would be a professional full-time military that answers only to the local planetary government.

The Blue Raptors come equipped with brand-new combat frames from Icarian Heavy Industries, though their stated purpose as a defensive force means their weapons loadouts favor less-lethal options: shock batons and frame shotguns designed to cripple or incapacitate hostile frames.

The ASDF has no love for self-styled “freedom fighters” of the APLF, and are fully prepared to bring them to trial for their crimes. Nor do they have much patience for alien squatters and their weird ideas about property rights. But these are local matters, for the ASDF to deal with. No self-respecting nation can allow off-planet militaries to tromp all over their sovereignty by sending troops to unilaterally conduct missions on local soil.

Those that do need to be taught a lesson, and the Night Hawks are prepared to teach it.

Pictured:
Stations: Infantry Barricade w/Patrol Drone, Missile Pod
Frames (Back 3): MCF-06 Gunjin
(Front Row, from left) MCF-08 Shinigami, LCF-03 Wombat, MCF-10 Takajin

All frame designs are mine.
Mark Sakura
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:38 am

I really like the color scheme on the Golden Ring and the Blue Raptors. I've been wanting to do a Red/Gold color scheme on a Frame for a while now and after seeing the Golden Ring squad I'm changing that to Dark Red and Gold.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Aardvark17 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:19 pm

(Is the dark green company from the picture still coming too?)
Sponsored by The Bike CompanyTM and Big Ol' Bikes, Inc.TM
Aardvark17
Talkative

Postby Mark Sakura » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Aardvark17 wrote:(Is the dark green company from the picture still coming too?)

Here it is!

Solar Union: TEM 12th Company “The Green Monster”

The explosive situation in Tau Ceti has deteriorated enough to warrant intervention from the Solar Union, and all of the local forces seem to have lost their heads. The UMFL division on Alicanto is a hollow joke, with most of its members having deserted or joined the ASDF. Instead of acting as peacekeepers (and guarding their Transit Gate) the pampered flyboys of the TTM have gone to picking sides in a potential interplanetary civil war.

Someone needs to be the adult in this room, and that’s exactly the type of thankless job that ends in the lap of the Terran Expeditionary Marines, and their 12th Company. The Green Monster is one of the better-equipped TEM companies, having recently transitioned from their old ST-09 Rumble Monkeys to the cheaper and sturdier Lockon-compatible standard, supplied by Stratos Avionics Corportation, Sigma Inc., and Icarian Heavy Industries.

Their mission is simple: suppress all armed conflict in the Tau Ceti system--with force if necessary--and remind everyone involved that above all else, they are all citizens of the Solar Union. Now they need to act like it, or else.

Pictured
Stations: MRAP, Scout Hovercar
Frames (Back Row, from left) LM-21 “Leatherneck” Lockon, MCF-13C Deadlock, MCF-13B Deadlock, and another LM-21
(Bottom Row) Two SLM-03 “Fathead” Lockons

All frames are my modded versions of Vitor Faria’s Lockon design.
Mark Sakura
Talkative

Postby The Hydromancer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:44 am

These companies are super legit!

I love seeing all the various frames from over the years. The fluff is great as well, really makes me want to start writing my own again. I LOVE that you are representing all possible sides in the conflict as well. Really feels like you are setting the stage for an awesome anime story.

I just feel so inspired by this thread... I wanna work on a special frame now. Would you mind if the Dust Rooks received a special frame from mysterious Free Colony benefactors who are interested in seeing them survive?
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hydromancer/
Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:41 am

Woah! :shock:

I'm flattered you even remembered Stratos Avionics in the fluff!

Super happy to finally have a closer look of those. Loved how you went for the classic legs and knee pad on the leathernecks, and now I need to steal their guns and head !
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Next

Return to Frame Designs