Sketches in ABS

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Sketches in ABS

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:54 am

While I've been tinkering on my two mobile frame companies off and on over the last couple years, it had been awhile since I had put together something new so a couple months back I took a crack at building a copy of these cool Shuddernaught frames I'd seen posted in the Flickr group. The end result turned out a bit different:

Mobile Frame Sketch by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr

Part/color limitations forced me to try something different for the "head" and after that I decided to swap the original arms with some sleeker and more straight forward gun mounts. I'm pretty pleased with the end result.

Mobile Frame Sketch by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr

Over all, I found the legs and core to be really stable but the arm/shoulder connections are a bit fiddly and prone to come off. The pilot is an old Mircomachines fig of mine that I discovered stands almost perfectly at 7P scale.

Pleased with how my previous build session had gone, I took another crack a few weeks ago with this awesome drone as inspiration. This was the result:

Labor Frame Sketch by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr

I imagine this one as a labor frame that operates both as forklift and timber clearing machine. It's not very visible but there is a trans-black 1x1 slope located between the two body dishes where the operator is actually meant to sit. The yellow "eye" is meant to be a work/spot light.

Mr. Slicey by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr

Playing around with the design, I discovered when the blade arms and contraption were rotated into place praying mantis style, the whole frame takes on a much more menacing stance. I think I will call it Mr. Slicey. :twisted:

Mr. Slicey Attacks! by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr

Couldn't resist a good action shot. While the legs only have a few stable poses, the frame is reasonably sturdy though the cone to body connection at the front is bit of a weak connection when fiddling with the arms.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Sketches in ABS

Postby Grass4hopper » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:52 am

Nice job on both frames. I especially like Mr Slicey.
gusindor wrote:If you're on a planet that's home to huge amounts of small friendly energetic creatures, you might use hamster wheels.
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:17 am

Mr. Slicey is both terrifying and realistic. Really great!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:28 pm

Picked up an actual light box early in 2017 and while I played around some with new builds and updating some old over the year, I only got around to photographing anything yesterday; so here's to starting the New Year with last year's accomplishments! :P

Yellow Frame Sketch (Front) by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
When I got my light box, I wanted to put together something to test it out and this is what I came up with. Unfortunately my build session ran so late, I didn't get around to taking the photos when I originally planned. :oops:

Yellow Frame Sketch (Rear) by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
Had a ton of fun playing around with a lot of different pieces while putting this together; unfortunately the hip connections are pretty weak.

Yellow Frame Sketch by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
Despite the frame's structural flaws, I'm very pleased with how the scale and shaping on this turned out. :)

Red Frame Sketch on Flickr by my wife
When my wife saw me tinkering with the above frame, she decided to try her hand at a build of her own. She was inspired by the (big red) cyborg Kikuchiyo from the Samurai 7 anime series. This was my wife's first attempt at building a mobile frame; I like her color choices and how sturdy it is. :D

Pair of Scuttlers by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
These aren't original creations but my attempt to replicate the I-ST-01D Scuttler from Soren's errata frames. I love the chunky forelegs of this design as well as the unique pieces Soren used for the cannon bases; those old throw bot heads were surprisingly cheap but a little fun to track down.

Scuttlers (Scale) by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
I've had these mostly assembled for awhile but finally got around to picking the couple last pieces I needed to finish them through Bricklink. Ultimately, I would like to use the pair of frames as part of a demo set up but right now they're still a bit fiddly.

Quake Mech (30379) by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
So this isn't my own design but just a polybag set I picked up on a whim one day while passing through Walmart. That said, it was really fun to build and I love how much attitude this little mecha can display with it's dynamic design.

Quake Mech (Scale) by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
Originally thought I would break it down for parts for my other Mobile Frame Zero builds but it really is at a perfect scale so it is basically a frame in a bag so I might keep it together or try building some variants off the core. :geek:
Last edited by spacemonkey on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:03 pm

The arm guns go really well with the torso binoculars on the yellow sketch!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Raedien » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:43 pm

I can not find those freakin' quake mechs...

Oh, and your frames are nice too, particularly that first one.
(And I really appreciate you being upfront about it's durability.)
Raedien
Chatty

Postby spacemonkey » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:12 am

VitorFaria wrote:The arm guns go really well with the torso binoculars on the yellow sketch!

Thanks. I can't remember if I added them before or after the gun arms but the binoculars work well as greebles.

Raedien wrote:I can not find those freakin' quake mechs...

I picked mine up at my local Walmart. I had considered picking up another one or two but the next time I visited they had cleared out the display for a different (less awesome) polybag set. :(

Raedien wrote:Oh, and your frames are nice too, particularly that first one.
(And I really appreciate you being upfront about it's durability.)

Thanks and durability is something I really look/try for in a frame; a good sturdy build means it can endure fiddling with for camera poses and hopefully be robust enough for repeated handling during game play. :geek:
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby KungFujiApple » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:04 am

I really like these frame builds. Actually all the frame builds in the forum are pretty cool :)
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Been Around The Block

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:36 pm

Thanks! And yes this forum has a ton of awesome and inspiring builds for frames. :)
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Frame Designs