B-028 Deadbolt

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

B-028 Deadbolt

Postby Blorf » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:10 pm

My first new frame in a while. A lot of similarities to the Razor, but built from the ground up with stability and durability in mind. Pushing the edge of standard bounding box in width.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Re: B-028 Deadbolt

Postby Atavism » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:59 pm

Those are fun! The minute I saw them I thought they were chibi-Razors. The crumbled rock piece fits in well with a lot of the other angles you've got going on with these guys.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:04 pm

Really nice use of that textured piece on the top. That's a strong rugged look!

Wasn't the Razor pretty stable and durable already? I've made some Razor inspired frames, they had some notable differences on the core but were still very close, I could throw them in the wall with no risk at all.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:00 am

Thanks to you both.

Atavism wrote:The minute I saw them I thought they were chibi-Razors.

Oh, it's definitely not smaller than the Razor. They stand about the same height, but this one is about a stud longer and almost twice as wide. (Crap size comparison shot)

VitorFaria wrote:Wasn't the Razor pretty stable and durable already?

When you build your own frame, you know exactly how to handle it and a lot fewer problems arise in using it. When someone borrows one, they don't immediately understand its limitations. I end up supplying frames for others in almost every game and I see this over and over again. The Razors are very good in comparison to many other frames, yes—but if you're not familiar with LEGO at this scale they'll still come apart easily with pressure in the wrong places. By comparison, the Deadbolt is just bomb-proof. I wanted to push that aspect and create a frame that was ideal for handing over to a completely new player or giving to a young player without a lot of dexterity. I can literally grab it roughly and smack it into the table a few times without a single part coming off and it can still stand upright after. Strictly considering that design goal, I think I have a success—but I'll have to demo it a few times to be sure.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby kingodacheez » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:52 am

Nicely done, Blorf!
You seem to have a knack for using the implied knee and elbow angles, and an even mixture of ball-joint and hinge connections.
This design mixes well with the Razor.
That textured piece up top lends the appearance of the frame having been through a lot of brutal combat.
The design is deceptively wide when it isn't pictured along side other frames; making it appear as stable as a bulldozer!
I totally (like) agree about the durability issue with many of the frame designs.
In a large number of the book-builds, a base plate seems the only real means of safely handling and moving the frames without them coming apart.
Base plates aren't a completely bad thing, though. They give a stable center of gravity with a nice little spot for a bit of theater-setting scenery.
Again: great build! 8-)
kingodacheez
Young Gun

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:28 am

I've realized that both the arms and legs are pretty much 100% sandwiched plates and tiles making it nigh-invulnerable. Really cool.

kingodacheez wrote:In a large number of the book-builds, a base plate seems the only real means of safely handling and moving the frames without them coming apart.

None of my friends got any real problems with the builds in the book. My 11 years old cousin could manage a squad of Chubs with no issue. The Commissar is a pain to transport because it always comes completely apart in my box that I use for transport, but it handles well in game, especially because it's really intuitive to pick it up by the sensor domes.

Maybe I'm spoiled as I never actually got in a convention or other more hurry prone situation thou.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:52 am

Nice. I like the "hewn from stone" look.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:09 am

Thank you.

VitorFaria wrote:I've realized that both the arms and legs are pretty much 100% sandwiched plates and tiles making it nigh-invulnerable.

Even the core is mostly stacked plates.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Jagarmot » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:41 pm

You can be proud, they have a great look and they do not seem to have any structural weak point. Definitely a design success.
Jagarmot
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:17 am

Here's the breakdown. Look at all those plates, including a full 2×4. There's also a little surprise I didn't show off before (in the negative space normally hiding under the armor plate).

Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:35 pm

The B-028 Deadbolt "Hornet" variant was born from a need to better militarize the original Deadbolt design. It features upgrades needed for combat that that the original lacked. Most notably additional hardpoints, integrated sensor array, modified foot structure, and controller firmware; though upgrades and refinements were made to many internal components.

I found these yellow-orange pieces and I couldn't pass up putting a few more Deadbolts together. I wish I had more yellow-orange, because I think this is a slick looking color scheme that I'd love to build out to a full company.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:11 am

Blorf wrote:Image

Oh, those are pretty.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:18 pm

So obviously it surprised me how big this was, and even with your scale pic I was surprised how big this was in the brick. It is a fun design, and one nice thing about it is there are a bunch of different printed parts for the "head," to suite a variety of themes.

Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:27 pm

Atavism wrote:So obviously it surprised me how big this was, and even with your scale pic I was surprised how big this was in the brick.

It's not the first time my frame's actual size surprised someone. I don't know exactly why that is. Maybe the proximity between hips and shoulders? It's a 4-wide core, though, so how could it look small?

Whatever comes next will be smaller though. This was a nice experiment but I don't want to continue tending toward oversize pieces.

Atavism wrote:It is a fun design, and one nice thing about it is there are a bunch of different printed parts for the "head," to suite a variety of themes.

Thanks! Really nice build there. I can appreciate how hard it is to work that many colors together, especially when some parts are non-negotiable (looking at you, mixel joints). But you nailed it. The tooth plates are a great touch.

How do you like the trans cheese on the front? I tried it but settled on the round tile because I wanted to emphasize the cylinder shape on the modified plate it comes out of. The right choice might depend on how you style the build elsewhere. I see a few other stylistic differences but that's the only one that really changes the shape dramatically for me.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:20 am

Blorf wrote:Thanks! Really nice build there. I can appreciate how hard it is to work that many colors together, especially when some parts are non-negotiable (looking at you, mixel joints). But you nailed it. The tooth plates are a great touch.

How do you like the trans cheese on the front? I tried it but settled on the round tile because I wanted to emphasize the cylinder shape on the modified plate it comes out of. The right choice might depend on how you style the build elsewhere. I see a few other stylistic differences but that's the only one that really changes the shape dramatically for me.

Thanks! I'm glad you approve. I was pretty indecisive about the cheese slope vs. round tile thing. I didn't feel like the color I was using was standing out very well, so I ultimately chose the bigger bulk of the slope (also I have more of those lying around), but I'm still not sure it was the right choice. It's more prominent than the circle, but the shaping tends to blend it with the upper slope to make a wedge while the circle does a better job standing alone as a distinct element.

Blorf wrote: It's not the first time my frame's actual size surprised someone. I don't know exactly why that is. Maybe the proximity between hips and shoulders? It's a 4-wide core, though, so how could it look small?

Whatever comes next will be smaller though. This was a nice experiment but I don't want to continue tending toward oversize pieces.

I'm not sure why, it just looks small. As you said, the shoulder to hip measurement is very compact, and I think that if you are casually considering its dimensions (like a photograph of a person, say, rather than in terms of bricks and studs) it makes it just look very short, which in turn makes the width seem less than it really is.
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:18 am

I have to ask: what did you hide under the top plate? That space under it which gets revealed upon taking damage is one of my favorite parts. I went with 'misc. cockpit internals' but I could see 'exposed engine bits' as a fun option in there, too.

Oh, I guess that's the other reason I went with the round lens. Once you pull the top plate off, nothing will anchor its orientation.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:04 am

Blorf wrote:I have to ask: what did you hide under the top plate? That space under it which gets revealed upon taking damage is one of my favorite parts. I went with 'misc. cockpit internals' but I could see 'exposed engine bits' as a fun option in there, too.

Oh, I guess that's the other reason I went with the round lens. Once you pull the top plate off, nothing will anchor its orientation.

I skipped the 1x2 in the head to make room for a lever (laid flat and at an angle) next to a short stack of 1x1 rounds. The lever rises in defiance when the head gets shot off. :D
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:21 pm

Atavism wrote:I skipped the 1x2 in the head to make room for a lever (laid flat and at an angle) next to a short stack of 1x1 rounds. The lever rises in defiance when the head gets shot off. :D

That's awesome.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Jagarmot » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:55 pm

Just stopping by (again) to say that this frame structure is very neat. The variations prove that it is a great game piece : surdy but beautiful and customizable.
Jagarmot
Talkative

Postby Artasid » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:18 am

Thank you so much for sharing the Deadbolt with us Blorf. Because the parts list for the frame seem fairly common, I couldn't help myself by to try to build one (or two, or three...) of my own. lol I ended up building a whole company and I'd like to thank you Blorf for the inspiration.

I apologize in advance if these pics are a little out-a-whack, just started using a new camera.

ImageSnow Spectre Company
ImageSnow Spectre Sniper
Sniper: d6Ra d6Ra Sniper Rifle, d6B Cover Shield, d6G Rear Thrusters, d8Rr Head-mounted SSR

ImageSnow Spectre Soldier
Soldier: d6Rd d6Rd Combat Rifle, d6B Cover Shield, d6G Foot Thrusters, d6Y Antenna Beacon

ImageSnow Spectre Tank
Tank: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd dual SMGs, d6B d6B Shoulder Deflection Plates

ImageSnow Spectre Brawler
Brawler: d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh dual Chainsaws, d6B d6B Leg Shields, d8Rr Head-mounted SSR, d8G no ranged weaponry

ImageSnow Spectre FireRecon
Recon By Fire, d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra dual Mortars, d6Y d6Y dual Range-finder Antennas, d8Rr Head-mounted SSR

Again Blorf, thank you and I hope you enjoy :lol:
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Next

Return to Frame Designs