Master Chubdam Database

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Re: Master Chubdam Database

Postby The Hydromancer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:30 pm

Can't believe I forgot to post this bad boy before I left on my trip! Chubdam Gigas (Raise your Flag!) was so much fun to make. The first, but certainly not the last, Iron Blooded Orphan inspired design to get the Chubdam treatment, Gigas represents a small but noticeable evolution in the Chubdam series both the unique waist and the new skirt handle bar that allows for additional customization. I will likely start retroactively adding addition skirt armor or thrusters to alot of past Chubdams as I incorporate it into the base Chubdam design. Just need more handle bars!

ImageBreaker of Worlds by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageBy this club I rule by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageGigas got double back by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageChubdam Gigas by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6Y d6B d8G d6W d6W

Systems Key:
Iron Flag: d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh
High Maneuver Thrusters: d6B
Crown Antenna: d6Y

https://youtu.be/G-UN6uRMBRw
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hydromancer/
Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:17 pm

Just passing by this tread to say that those are awesome!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby The Hydromancer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:08 pm

Nothing too insane here. Realized I had more dark blue laying around then I remembered and I had a hankerin' for some recoiless rifle love. Obviously this meant I needed to add a proper Ground Chubdam to the line up. It joins The EnZo and Chubtank in the slowly but surely growing ranks of 08th MS Team inspired frames. Took a little doing to get the unique asymmetrical chest to work out but I'm just glad it fits on a normal Chub chassis. Don't have enough pieces right now for a Ground Chubdam with a GM inspired head and beam rifle, but mayhaps a command & control hovertank wouldn't be so far-fetched. I went back and swapped the chest cannon to make it look better with an actual barrel. Additionally swapped out the head on the EnZo with a tan one, looks much better.

ImageStorage pack with jump jets and machine gun loadout by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageBrace yourself by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageChoices by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageGround Chubdam w/ shoulder firing recoiless rifle by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageGround Chubdam by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

Image08th MS Team starter pack by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

Image08th MS Team Ez8 inspired Chub mod; Chubdam EnZo by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

Point Man:
d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6B d6Y d6W d6W

Soldier:
d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6Y d6G d6W d6W

Ranger:
d6Rd d6Ra d6B d6Y d6G d6W d6W

Mobile Arty:
d6Ra d6Ra d6B d6Y d6G d6W d6W

Heavy Arty Support:
d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6B d6Y d6W d6W

Systems Key:
Machine gun: d6Rd d6Rd
Shoulder fired recoiless rifle: d6Rd d6Ra
Long range smoothbore recoiless rifle: d6Ra d6Ra
Shield firing platform: d8Ra
Small Frame shield: d6B
Chest mounted point defense cannon: d6B
Command V Antenna: d6Y
Jump pack: d6G
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Hydromancer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:54 pm

Chubdam break down! This has been requested several times, so I figured I'd throw something together.

What makes a Chub a Chubdam? Parts usage and color choice! There are four major areas of the Chub that are modified parts wise to create a Chubdam; head, chest, hips, and feet. There are plenty of options from there to further refine a Chubdam such as the shield, frontal skirt armor, back plasma edge storage points, and shoulders, but aren't as necessary to capture the Gundam influence.

Of course Gundams come in all shapes, styles, and colors, but we will focus on the original RX-72-2 inspired Chubdam for this breakdown.

ImageStages of Chub to Chubdam by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

The first picture represents the evolution of Chub to Chubdam. On the far left is a lightly customized Chub. Center is a Chub that has Chubdam style hip connections, side skirt armor, and partial Chubdam style feet. Even though it uses almost half of the minimum major modifications for creating a Chubdam, it doesn't really look like a Chubdam yet. The color choice in particular really prevents it from completing the change. On the right, we have a fully fleshed out Chubdam! Note the use of proper color choice to really make the homage stick. The Chubdam should be instantly recognizable to any Gundam fan. We'll tackle each area in turn to explain parts usage and connections, with both a front and back view of a partially broken down Chubdam for reference. By this end of this if you can build a Chub, you'll be able to build a Chubdam too!

ImageChubdam 3.0 break down by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageChubdam break down back by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

Major Areas:

-Head-
The Chubdam head is very distinctive and goes a long way towards creating the Chubdam look. The head consists of a vertical tooth plate with a horizontal clip plate on top. The clip plate holds a handlebar that acts as the V-fin. Unfortunately the handlebars don't come in white or yellow/gold as far as I know, but I find red or light grey does the trick just fine. Note; you'll need to flip the neck right side up from a standard Chub.

-Chest-
Chubdam chests are a varied as Gundam chests are, but the basic Chubdam chest is simple and easy to create. Add a grill, usually yellow, to the front of the torso taps to create the two toned chest vents. On the bottom of the chest add a jumper plate and a smooth slope to complete the chest. The slope will cut the grill in have, creating the image of symmetrical chest vents on either side of the chest.

If you want to capture the black interior of the chest vents, note you'll need to make sure the top and bottom of the Chubdam's torso are connected on the rear of the frame as you'll need to remove the chest plate that helps hold the frame together. I've found that the standard Chub power pack doesn't hold the frame together very well on its own, so I recommend simply moving the chest plate to the back. In the example above, I've added a round plate to the back to strengthen the connections.

-Hips-

The hips are a major departure from the basic Chub frame so take special note. The Chubdam hips came about when I read that many builders found that the tile clip that connected the legs to the waist taps had a habit of breaking over prolonged time in the connection. I decided to follow the advice to replace the tile clips with bar claws similar to the should joints. This connection worked great, but I didn't like how exposed this left the top of the legs so I decided to hide the gaps as best I could. The solution is to first flip the taps so that the studs are in front. Be careful to not push the taps into the center pelvic brick as you'll need some clearance for the next part.

Second, add neck brackets to the tap studs, angling the stud on the brackets up at about a 45 degree angle. Add smooth slopes to the brackets for side skirt armor, and test the brackets by rotating it up and down. You should have just enough clearance to rotate the brackets; if you don't try pulling the taps slightly out from the pelvic brick. You can achieve small but noticeable style variations depending on the positioning of the side armor. I recommend keeping them as vertical as possible, but raising them up can create a flared look.

Finally, replace the tile armor on the top of the legs with a smooth slope to cover the front of the gap. The leg and bracket slopes should box in the connection gap, hiding it. If you wish, you could also add a plate to the back of the tap to fully box in the taps. While not necessary to completely box in the gap, adding plates to the back could help increase standing stability at the cost of further reduced hip joint flexibility.

-Feet-

The area I've probably received the most admiration on, the feet are both functional (longer feet for better stability) and aesthetically pleasing. First replace the lower frontal tile armor with a cheese wedge, sloping down.

Next replace the side armor dishes with horizontal tooth plates, teeth forward, rotating the teeth downward until the top of the teeth is perfectly flush with the cheese wedge slope.

Lastly, replace the bottom foot plate with a handlebar plate. Add a clip tile to the handlebar plate, and rotate the clip tile as far as you can back to rest against the cheese wedge.

Minor Areas:

-Shoulders-

Shoulders are less standard for Chubdams, varying as the Gundam influences do. For the standard Chubdam, ignore the standard Chub shoulder armor. Add a round plate first; this will allow the shoulder armor to easily rotate.

Secondly add a brick with a stud on one side, facing the stud up.

Third, add a cheese wedge to the side of the brick, this time sloping upward.

Finally, add a 2x1 tile to the top stud, aligning it with the end of the cheese wedge.

-Hilt storage-

For a simple yet effective storage point for plasma edge hilts, replace the tile clips behind the head with upside down plates with tubes, just like the shoulder piece. Tilt these down as far as they will go, and add the hilts to store them.

-Shield-

I'm a huge fan of Soren's classic Chub shield. Its so simple yet versatile. Orient it so the clips are on top, and add a bar plate (the version without the free sides unlike the part on the back of the Chubdam otherwise it won't fit) with a grill on it.

Alternatively, you could orient the clips forward for a different approach (reference the middle Chub in the first pic). Depending on how forward you attach the shield to the arm, you could completely fold the shield to cover the hand. This makes for a shield that look like it be used for punching as well. Slap some vertical teeth or cheese wedges for spikes on it, and it looks that much more deadly!

-Frontal Skirt Armor-

This is one of the newest parts of the Chubdam build, and I'm still experimenting with. On the front of the pelvic brick, add a clip tile oriented vertically. Next add a handlebar similar to the one used for a V-fin, prongs angled up and inward. Add plates with tubes on the prongs, and fold the handlebar back. Rotate the plates with tubes flat against the frame, and add tiles on top.

ImageClavicle cannons by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

-Clavicle cannons-
Although not shown here on the standard Chubdam, a single yet powerful detail to further enchance a Chubdam that could easily be applied across a far range of Chubdam styles is the clavicle mounted auto cannons. Simply attach a minifig hand (ideally yellow or gray) to the expose tap end clavicles on either side of the head and voila, point defense systems!

ImageChubdam 3.0, minor updates to shield and skirt armor. by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6B d6Y d8G d6W d6W

System Key:
Plasma Edge: d6Rh d6Rh
Chubdanian Shield: d6B
Chubdanian Armor: d6B
V-fin Antenna: d6Y

And that's all there is to it! Using the basic Chubdam model you should be able to make countless versions to bring your favorite Gundams to lego life. That said, if there is another Chubdam you'd like to see a more detailed break down of just let me know.

As an added bonus, here's a table scrap of a 07th MS team GM I threw together. I'll have to revisit it later once I have more parts.

Image07th MS Team GM inspired Chubdam build by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageBecause sometimes the 08th team needs fodder by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6W d6W
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Woah, man. That was a long post, and your passion for it is clear on every sentence, really nice!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby The Hydromancer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:24 pm

Thanks, you say the nicest things! I hope others will get a chance to make their own Chubdams. Would love to see new styles.

Fixed the color of the feet armor on the Full Armor Chubdam as well.

ImageFull Armor Chubdam with proper feet armor color by The Hydromancer, on Flickr
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Hydromancer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:23 pm

My first Super Robot Wars inspired build, the Eisenchub 1.0. I feel like I can do more with it, but for now this is a good start.

ImageAlteisen inspired Chubdam 1.0 by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageBackside by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageThere is a frame, on New Orleans, they caaaall the rising sun.... by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageAmongst friends, hangar life by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageSize comparison by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d8Rr d8Rr d6B d6Y d6W d6W

System Key:
Revolver Stake: d6Rh d6Rh
Heat Horn: d8Rh
Triple Point Defense Cannon: d6B
Com Antennas" d6Y
Shoulder mounted Claymore Rocket pods: d8Rr d8Rr
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Hydromancer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:25 pm

Update to the Chevalion, now with Arios inspired midseason upgrades.

ImageOrange is the new black by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageArios inspired wings and GN drive by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageClaw shield upgrade by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageChubdam Chevalion 2.0 by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6B d6Y d6W d6W d8G

Systems Key:
Megaclaw: d6Rh d6Rh
Shield: d6B
Wing Binders: d6B
Com Antenna: d6Y

Now that I've actually started playing MFZ I appreciate a little better about thinking through systems and positioning. This variation of the Chevalion, with the addition of a d8Rr for attacking during the first round while it closes, would function as a Spiked Wall point frame if you are the attacker. Alternatively, if you are defender, it could reap havoc in your enemies back lines if they fail to deploy their frames in sporting lines of sight that prevent you from deploying in cover outside of your defensive line, and has the legs to live through most of the return fire.

My usual opponent has taught me punishingly to make sure my arty is supported if I'm attacking, and during our last game cleverly goaded me into being over protective, weakening my front line during deployment.
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jagarmot » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:39 pm

The chest is smart and looks great. I'll try to keep that one in mind :-)
Jagarmot
Talkative

Postby The Hydromancer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:05 pm

Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby personzz~ » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:27 pm

that sheild looks, like it fits the theme...
*cough* phallic *cough*
but 10/10 MOAR CHUBDAM
Image XD HAHAHAHA, of course, BOOM d8Ra
personzz~
Chatty

Postby The Hydromancer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:10 pm

Inspired by the GM Custom, one of my favorite Grunts, I present the Chubdam Monsha. Originally I went for a slightly more authentic look to the chest and pelvic armor, but took some liberties to make it translate to lego better. FINALLY have the proper colored plasma edge for the OG Gundam inspired frames. Also testing out a new chest vent look! Hopefully I'll add a Chubdam Monsha Cannon variant in the near future. Man, Stardust Memory had a lot of great designs actually... GP01 and GP02 might need to happen as well. GP03 if someone wants to crowdfund it!

ImageFinally a proper trans pink Plasma Edge by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageChubdam Monsha back by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageBurning Love by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageChubdam Monsha Plasma Edge & Rifle by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageRifle equipped Monsha by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6Y d6W d6W d8G

or

d6Rh d6Rh d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6Y d6W d6W
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Hydromancer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:42 am

As threatened, I went ahead and created a Monsha Cannon variant, based off the GM Custom Cannon from Stardust Memory. I may have had 'The Winner' playing on repeat between the English and Japanese versions the entire time bricking this frame.

ImageChubdam Monsha Cannon, inspired by GM Custom Cannon from Stardust Memory by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageNew 1x1 bar-plate by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageChobham armored and fully armed by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageFirepower demo by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageProfile of destruction by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageAdjustable, rotating cannons by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageMonsha Bros by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

The cannons could be used as d6Ra d6Ra , d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra , or d8Rr d8Rr depending on how you plan to use the frame. Hell if you wanted to drop the rifle altogether you could make a strong argument for d6Rd d6Ra given the great depression angle. The chobham armor could count as a second d6B to the shield's d6B , or just be used for decoration. The head mounted antenna makes a nice d6Y , so the only thing its really missing is a readily identifiable d6G , but if nothing else thats true to the source material.

This marks two Stardust Memory based frames. Such a rich series, who knows which mech will be used next?
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Hydromancer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:01 pm

My second entry for Iron Blooded Orphans inspired Chubdams (certainly not the last!) is Gutsy, inspired by Gusion Rebake. This frame comes with two modes, long range (LR) and melee range (MR) with the head re-configuring for each. I tried to capture more of the IBO style of spiney frames, and with the new 1x1 plate w/ handle I feel like I've gotten closer than my take on Barbatos. The new piece also helped for bendable feet.

Was very happy to manage to include the back mounted subarms, although I was disappointed to discover that the shoulder bars on the droid torso are the tiniest bit too short for the discs to attach to. What could have been perfect is now merely acceptable. Overall the Gutsy was a trial to build and balance remains shaky, but it was a good experience with trying new ideas and techniques.

Long Range Mode

ImageChubdam Gutsy 2.0, LR mode by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageDual smooth bore rifles by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageBackise with subarms stored by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageCross section of Gutsy core by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageWhat's that hiding on the back of its head? by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageSubarm deployed, engage melee option! by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

Image'Arms' for days by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6Y d6B d6W d6W

Melee Range Mode

ImageChubdam Gutsy 2.0, MR mode by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageAxe man cometh by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageMixed weaponry by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageAll stored equipment deployed by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageLR mode stored by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageGigas and Gutsy by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

d6Rh d6Rh d6Y d6B d6B d8G d6W d6W
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Hydromancer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:58 pm

Ashildr 2.0. Wanted to update her to bring her design more in line with modern Chubdams. Also after watching HotS tournaments all day I got an idea to try some Queen of Blades style wings. Feel like they'd be a melee system. In hindsight I really need to fix the ribbon.

ImageAshildr Chubdam 2.0 by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageAshildr 2.0 back by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageQueen of Blades inspired wings by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageRear wings view by The Hydromancer, on Flickr
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby SKUB » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:49 pm

I really want to make a chubdam based off of the strike noir, how would you do the wings?
SKUB
Newcomer

Postby The Hydromancer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:56 pm

SKUB wrote:I really want to make a chubdam based off of the strike noir, how would you do the wings?

Welcome to the hangar! Be sure to introduce yourself in the Welcome & Introduction section. If you are interested in looking for people to play with you might mention where you are from as well.

As for the Strike Noir, I would recommend using either Mixel joints (particularly the dark grey ball and joint plates) or a combination of the bar claws and the new 1x1 plate with handle. The mixel joints would probably provide the most stability and articulation. Word of advice; balance is going to be an issue, especially the bigger the wings get. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Atavism » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:37 pm

I really love the style of the Chubdam Monsha Cannon. The color blocking is spot on for a heavy, armored look (though I'm not sure how I feel about the azure and bley combo, specifically) and the reversal in the slopes in the shoulders is my favorite style you've come up with yet. The modified plate you snuck into the chest works really well too. Probably my second favorite of the bunch, after EnZo.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Hydromancer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks! The shoulders were a favorite of mine too, will have to reuse again. Also really wish I had more of the vent tile, but I'm down to my last one. Thinking of trying to use electrical tape on a normal yellow tile instead.

---

Next in the wide world of Gundam inspired frames we have the Chubdam Von Braun, based on GP-0101 Zephyranthes FB. Not much to say here other than I'm glad to start using the eagle crest tile. Possible next build includes GP-03 Stamen or GP-02 Physalis. I've gotten a lot of suggestions to try Dendrobium, but that would be quite the investment. Not saying I don't wanna try... maybe a IO sized frigate?

ImageChubdam Von Braun, inspired by Gundam GP-01 fb by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageBreak the chains of Gravity that bind you by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageRocketeer by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageDakka rifle by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageThe Winners by The Hydromancer, on Flickr
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Hydromancer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:06 pm

According to Wikipedia, 'Yoshiyuki Tomino's original plot for the anime was considerably much more grim, with Amuro dying halfway through the series, and the crew of the White Base having to ally with Char (who is given a red Gundam), but finally having to battle him after he takes control of the Principality of Zeon."

Now the Chubdam Red Ronin is based off the Gundam Amazing Red Warrior from Gundam Build Fighters Try, but I like to think that if Char would have got that Red Gundam, it would have been along the lines of the Red Ronin; High mobility mixed with effective weapons at all ranges.

SUPER happy with the way the leg thrusters came out, probably my favorite use for the new 1x1 half round plate with handle by far.

ImageChubdam Red Ronin by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageLeg thrusters detail by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageGunblade and cannon stored by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageCannon deployed under arm by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageGunblade, a more elegant weapon for a more civilized time. by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageForearm plasma edge and gunblade combo by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageLong, medium, and shirt ranges covered by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageChar eat your heart out by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

Lots of potential systems here.

Gunblade: d6Rd d6Rh
Cannon: d6Rd d6Rd or d6Ra d6Ra or d8Rr
V-fin antenna: d6Y
Leg thrusters: d6G
Shoulder thrusters: d6B or d6G
Back jets: d6B or d6G
Short shield: d6B
Forearm Plasma Edge: d6Rh d6Rh

Fun note: After coming up with the simple arm for the cannon to move on, I think I need to revisit the Gundam X inspired build and add the satellite cannon.
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Frame Designs