HR-53e Micro Faulter

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

HR-53e Micro Faulter

Postby Valtarshol » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Why budget when you can splurge on the all new HR-53e Micro Faulter! Benefiting from significant size reduction, the Micro Faulter packs all of the punch of its full-sized counterparts, in a much harder to hit package!

ImageHR-53e Micro Faulter (1) by Valtarshol Ceirn, on Flickr
The new HR-53e Micro Faulter. (front)

Now don't think this means it's not still a walking wall, because what this Faulter edition lacks in height it largely retains in width! Befuddle your enemies with walls of nigh-impenetrable walking armor, or body-slam your cumbersome, kneeless opponents with the massive weight of our newest line of multi-layered high density armor! In combat, mobility can win you the fight, but the Micro Faulter's tough exoskeleton certainly doesn't hurt in cases of mechanical or pilot error.

ImageHR-53e Micro Faulter (3) by Valtarshol Ceirn, on Flickr
The HR-53 Safety Faulter next to an HR-53e Micro Faulter and an HR-67 Heatsink Mk.III.

Think our armor is too good to be true? Try again! Here at Human Resourced we bring you only the highest quality goods and materials, and our armor is no exception! Upgraded leg cylinders pack dense masses of powerful contraction into smaller packages than ever before, meaning your new frame will move as fast as you've come to expect, even with more weight than many of its contemporaries!

ImageHR-53e Micro Faulter (2) by Valtarshol Ceirn, on Flickr
The new HR-53e Micro Faulter(rear), showing the shoulder-mounted maneuvering thrusters.

Not only do the dense muscle cylinders of the HR-53e aid its movement, all models ship with pre-installed maneuvering thrusters! Why leave such things to aircraft when you can use them to dodge incoming artillery, or add that bit of extra oomph to the already massive impact of one of these frames?

Order your HR-53e Micro Faulter today, and show your neighbors that you aren't afraid to spend for quality engineering! Never take the fault into your own hands, put it on the enemy with your Micro Faulter!

I swear I set out with every intention of building a budget frame this time, since it seems like that time of year again, but instead I made yet another Faulter series. Who didn't see this coming. :lol:
Last edited by Valtarshol on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Re: HR-53e Micro Faulter

Postby CmdrRook » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:07 pm

Great looking miniframe, but it appears youve accidentally imbedded the mug-shot a second time instead of the rear view you describe at the bottom. Would love to see what's going on "under the hood" so to speak.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Valtarshol » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:33 am

CmdrRook wrote:Great looking miniframe, but it appears youve accidentally imbedded the mug-shot a second time instead of the rear view you describe at the bottom. Would love to see what's going on "under the hood" so to speak.

Whoops! Fixed it, thanks for pointing it out! :)
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Postby Valtarshol » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:05 pm

ImageHR-53e Micro Faulter (4) by Valtarshol Ceirn, on Flickr
ImageHR-53e Micro Faulter (5) by Valtarshol Ceirn, on Flickr

A Human Resourced 53e in company colors, with an HR Pilot and an HR-53e skeleton.

ImageHR-53e Micro Faulter Parts by Valtarshol Ceirn, on Flickr

All 70 parts to build a fully armored standard Micro Faulter.
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Postby A YATES INDUSTRIALS » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:11 pm

this rocks!!!!
o)-<|:
A YATES INDUSTRIALS
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jay Biquadrate » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Wow. I really appreciate this build so much more with the breakdown.
I just got a couple of the 3-ball part (6055629) off of Bricklink a few days ago. I'm definitely doing to have to try this out.
Jay Biquadrate
Talkative

Postby Valtarshol » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:22 pm

A YATES INDUSTRIALS wrote:this rocks!!!!

Wow, thanks! That means a lot coming from someone who's designs got me into making frames!

Jay Biquadrate wrote:Wow. I really appreciate this build so much more with the breakdown.
I just got a couple of the 3-ball part (6055629) off of Bricklink a few days ago. I'm definitely doing to have to try this out.

Yeah, it's a good time, a lot simpler than a lot of what I cobble together too. Go for it, I'd love to see someone else's take on it!
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Postby Jay Biquadrate » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:20 am

So, I've been fiddling around with this build. Just trying it out, putting my own spin on it, etc.
And, I have one question. How stable is it in the brick?
I'm having a devil of a time maintaining the skinny leg aesthetic and getting a stable enough base for the frame. I definitely want to keep the tiny feet, but I'm a little stumped.
Jay Biquadrate
Talkative

Postby Valtarshol » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:05 pm

Jay Biquadrate wrote:So, I've been fiddling around with this build. Just trying it out, putting my own spin on it, etc.
And, I have one question. How stable is it in the brick?
I'm having a devil of a time maintaining the skinny leg aesthetic and getting a stable enough base for the frame. I definitely want to keep the tiny feet, but I'm a little stumped.

It's not the most stable thing ever, actually. If you get the balance right and fiddle with the feet until they lie flat it's not bad, but they are prone to tipping over.

I originally wanted to make articulated ankles to help with that, but everything ended up looking really out of place so I stuck with the cheese slopes.
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Postby BrickBudgie » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:36 pm

This looks really cool. I would definitely build this if I had the parts for it. I really like the legs.
Budgies are cool. Search 'em up. I dare you.
BrickBudgie
Newcomer

Postby Valtarshol » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:50 pm

BrickBudgie wrote:This looks really cool. I would definitely build this if I had the parts for it. I really like the legs.

Thanks! The legs were where it started, actually, the rest just sort of came together out of them. And yeah, I am not one for making frames with common parts, apparently. :?
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Postby Jay Biquadrate » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:09 pm

Valtarshol wrote:It's not the most stable thing ever, actually. If you get the balance right and fiddle with the feet until they lie flat it's not bad, but they are prone to tipping over.
I originally wanted to make articulated ankles to help with that, but everything ended up looking really out of place so I stuck with the cheese slopes.

That's what I was wrestling with as well, I must have a center of gravity that's more forward than you, the skinny legs and cheese just weren't working to keep the frame upright. I couldn't find the right angle where it would both stand up and look cool.
Articulation is actually where I ended up when I figured out a workable solution. The only problem that I have now is that the frame sits too high. I love that your's is so close to the ground in its crouch. I have some more tweaks and color matching before the frame is done, then it'll need some custom weapons to really be presentable.

I'll say it again: this is a really, really sweet little frame. It's exactly the right size and there are so many options for personalization while keeping true to the core
Jay Biquadrate
Talkative

Postby Valtarshol » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:31 pm

Jay Biquadrate wrote:That's what I was wrestling with as well, I must have a center of gravity that's more forward than you, the skinny legs and cheese just weren't working to keep the frame upright.

Yeah, I really had to tilt the waist back to keep it from tipping forward. Between this and the full size Faulter, this wins in knee stability, the full size wins in foot stability. I might play with an articulated ankle that sits well again, but it'll probably only have one axis.

Jay Biquadrate wrote:I'll say it again: this is a really, really sweet little frame. It's exactly the right size and there are so many options for personalization while keeping true to the core

That is sort of the advantage of the Faulter series in general, they're all quite versatile! I had like six very different full sizes built at one point. The only issue with them was that they were rather large.

Edit: Managed a reasonable lower leg that balances better!
ImageHR-53e Micro Faulter (6) by Valtarshol Ceirn, on Flickr
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Postby Soren » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:19 pm

If you're having forward-tipping stability issues, strongly consider positioning your waist joint ahead of, rather than behind, the shoulders. You'll have to tilt the torso forward a bit more, but it'll mimic natural human balance better and give you a little more range of motion.

These little guys are really cute (and for anyone worried about the still-somewhat-rare triple-ball element, you can substitute tile clips and bar plates for it reasonably well).
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Valtarshol » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:24 pm

Soren wrote:If you're having forward-tipping stability issues, strongly consider positioning your waist joint ahead of, rather than behind, the shoulders. You'll have to tilt the torso forward a bit more, but it'll mimic natural human balance better and give you a little more range of motion.

These little guys are really cute (and for anyone worried about the still-somewhat-rare triple-ball element, you can substitute tile clips and bar plates for it reasonably well).

That's actually what I tried to do, the balance relies heavily on the difference between its implied and true waists. I had to tilt the true waist really far back to get the implied waist anywhere near the shoulders, because the implied is actually where all of the weight balances out due to the upper torso construction. I could only get it back so far before it just looked ridiculous, though.
Really a lot of the balance issue is more to do with no single plane of the feet lying flat if you don't get them just right, by now.

But really, thanks! :D
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Postby Jay Biquadrate » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:19 pm

What happens when Imbrium Lunokhod Industries tackles a mobile frame designed from Human Resourced specs?

The end result is the HR-53j Demi-Faulter. Presented here is the VS Custom Edition which has a fully custom (and customizable) paint job and can be purchased with color-coordinated frame systems and weapons. The stock HR-53j model will be available in drab military grey, ship primer white, or planetary surface brown and comes with game-table-ready die-color-matched systems.

HR-53j Demi-Faulter VS Special Edition by Jay Biquadrate

Press Release:
Imbrium Lunokhod Industries is proud to announce the HR-53j Demi-Faulter VS Special Edition. The newest Human Resourced brand frame and the first to be produced entirely by a third party, the HR-53j has all of the compact, heavily-engineered quality that you have come to expect from Human Resourced frames with all of the customization and modularity that has become the hallmark of Imbrium Lunokhod Industries. Not only can the Demi-Faulter utilize all weapons designed for standard frame manipulators, but it is also compatible with all of the Imbrium Lunokhod Industries award-winning Strike Packs.
But that's not all.
In addition, the frame engineers at Imbrium Lunokhod Industries have gone the extra mile and are introducing the VS line of frame systems. Although designed specifically for the HR-53j, these compact, hot-swappable systems can fit* all standard hardpoints found on the VS line of mobile frames and on many of our competitors' mobile frames as well.

*some systems require occasional and minor modifications to be truly compatible with non-Faulter frames.

Stock Presentation ( d6W d6W ) without systems

Design Notes:
Spoiler: show
This post is a long time coming. The frame was 97% of the way designed and built by the end of last year, but life kept finding ways to keep me from getting behind the camera. In the interim, I've been cranking out frame systems and weaponry. Action poses highlighting various system load-outs will be following as soon as I can get them up on Flickr. I also have some design dead ends and WIP pics that I'm also planning to post.

My entire goal with this build was to stay as faithful as possible to the core of the original frame while adding my own spin. I added a bunch of bulk (some might say too much) and I also tried to bake in hardpoints for customization as a game piece. The are easy attachment points on the back, rear and side of the shoulders, forearms, wrists, hands, and calves. With a willingness to do more extensive customizations, the front of the shoulders and thighs are the easiest places to start.

Shoulders are courtesy of A. Yates Industries you can find the original design as the thighs on his STOAT.

As you no doubt can read above, the feet were a serious problem for me. After a series of not great solutions, I settled on a configuration courtesy of Liu Sim from his much larger [EXOSUIT] Iǫtunn.

The head is pure Imbrium Lunokhod Industries with some added neck articulation for aesthetics. I also had problems with the forearms and hands, but took inspiration from my own Mungus Mark II (Mark I here) which has not yet been posted yet.

EDIT: broken Flickr image. Spelling.
Last edited by Jay Biquadrate on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Biquadrate
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:15 pm

Really nice! I love the bulky thighs with that implied knee, and that rear skirt armor is fantastic!

Great shaping overall.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Valtarshol » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:26 am

A Faulter with a head, it's truly a Christmas miracle! :lol:

In all seriousness though, I love it! It's got the "armored wall" feel down to a T, and it looks like you solved the thing's inherent foot stability issues really well. Excellent use of ball joints, there! I don't have more than one of the ball with axle pieces, so I didn't even think to try something like that.
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Postby Jay Biquadrate » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:58 am

Valtarshol wrote:In all seriousness though, I love it! It's got the "armored wall" feel down to a T, and it looks like you solved the thing's inherent foot stability issues really well. Excellent use of ball joints, there! I don't have more than one of the ball with axle pieces, so I didn't even think to try something like that.

Yeah, the stability issues were a problem for a while until I broadened the base. The leg solution provides excellent stability while fully armed in "game mode" (standing still on a table), but the clutch of the ball joints creates a lot of opportunities for things to go "off" when posing which creates a lot of problems when posing for photographs.
I really love the compactness of the hip/waist that comes from the triple ball technic piece, but I've found that I'll get the torso looking just right and the legs will be off. Then once I get the legs zeroed in, the whole top half is off kilter.
It's not a problem in everyday use, but it's really frustrating when I'm trying to rush through a photo session.

I went through three or four iterations of legs that either worked, but didn't look right, or looked awesome but didn't quite work right. I'll post some process shots here for reference.

VitorFaria wrote:Really nice! I love the bulky thighs with that implied knee, and that rear skirt armor is fantastic!

I'm really glad that you like it. Trying to get anything decent looking attached to the pin hole in the hip/waist connection was probably the hardest part of the whole build. Of course, once I got the skirt right, I had to work all of my backpack systems around the shaping.
Jay Biquadrate
Talkative

Postby Jay Biquadrate » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:49 am

I've been posting my version of this frame with various systems on Flickr over the last week. You can see the whole collection in this album

When I was designing on top of the Micro Faulter core, I ran into some trouble with the original legs (see above). So, as I was redesigning the legs, I took some WIP pics. Not pictured below is my experiments with the original leg (seen above) or my attempts to use the new landing gear part (15540). It's an awesome part, but it's way too big to be feet on a frame this size.

This was my first try at using small skis. These legs were stable, but the feet were just too big and the was a total lack of poseablity.
HR-53j Demi-Faulter - Double Droid Legs by Jay Biquadrate

This was my second attempt at working with the skis. There still wasn't enough poseablity and I though that they made the frame stand a little taller than I wanted. I also realized that there I would have to work on the color scheme if I wanted to include a splash of tan.
HR-53j Demi-Faulter - Droid Legs by Jay Biquadrate

This was a couple of attempts later. I was getting close to the final form, but I thought that this option was good, but it was lacking a little bit of height and bulk.
HR-53j Demi-Faulter - Proto Ski by Jay Biquadrate

This version actually came after my final version. I really like the way that these legs look, but in the brick, they frame is so top heavy that it's hard to keep upright on a table.
HR-53j Demi-Faulter - Hoof Feet by Jay Biquadrate
(legs originally seen on A. Yates's phenomenal Tokoeka frame)

I also went through a series of iterations of the hand/wrist/lower arm. I settled on the version that I did not only because the lamp holder offered another hardpoint. But also because the hand connection didn't require any extra clearance when holding guns. No to mention that the hand could rotate to create dynamic action poses.

HR-53j Demi-Faulter - Hand Options by Jay Biquadrate

HR-53j Demi-Faulter - Mounted Hand Options by Jay Biquadrate
Jay Biquadrate
Talkative

Return to Frame Designs