KS-612χ 'Scylla' (Voyna Engineering Ltd.)

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

KS-612χ 'Scylla' (Voyna Engineering Ltd.)

Postby Jay Biquadrate » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:59 pm

The Model KS-612χ 'Scylla' vertical tank.

Background Fluff:
Spoiler: show
This version of the 'Scylla', Model KS-612x, vertical tank features an arctic camouflage paint scheme. The Model KS-612x is the latest release in the Χοινόβιον series of vertical tanks from Voyna Engineering Ltd.

The Scylla was designed primarily as an infantry fighting or support frame for close combat and urban combat operations. While the Scylla offers a viable compromise between mobility, protection, and firepower, it lacks the the offensive punch and high powered weaponry of a main battle frame. With that said, the Scylla features eight hardpoints for attaching frame systems and comes stock with a reactive composite armor that offers partial stealth capabilities.

KS-612χ 'Scylla' by Jay Biquadrate

This KS-612χ is equipped for operations in an arctic environment with d6Y d6Y (positional radar and dual-mode communications array), d6B (active protection, point-defense system), d6Rd d6Rd (asymmetrically mounted, low-caliber, high-velocity autocannon) and d8Rr d8Rr

Build Notes:
Spoiler: show
I cribbed the feet from a much larger MOC that I saw on Flickr (Anton Sundström's Gynoid), and the rest of the frame followed. The source material was obviously too big for gameplay, but I thought the feet in particular were an interesting build that would look nice as the lower leg section of a frame. I had already been experimenting with the large ball joints and I think they came together nicely. The leg construction allows a reasonable degree of articulation for the scale while maintaining a fairly low piece-count.

The white knee joints are actually Mixel eyes that are rotated into the joint to conceal the print. Other than the printed eye piece, I believe the single axle-hole constraction ball joint only comes in red, black and lime which limits the coloration options a little bit.

When I was building it I was convinced that it was going to come out much larger than is appropriate for 7P scale, so I was pleasantly surprised when it ended up perfect for gameplay. Although it scales correctly, it looks beefy and might attract more than it's share of fire.

KS-612χ 'Scylla' with ST-07 by Jay Biquadrate

KS-612χ 'Scylla' with ST-07 (rear) by Jay Biquadrate

KS-612χ 'Scylla' with CEP-D410 (rear) by Jay Biquadrate

KS-612χ 'Scylla' in Hangar 4 with 7P figure for sizing by Jay Biquadrate
Last edited by Jay Biquadrate on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Biquadrate
Talkative

Re: KS-612χ 'Scylla' (Voyna Engineering Ltd.)

Postby Mantisking » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:23 pm

Nice job on the step down from big ball to little ball joints.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:41 am

Awesome!

I love the fact that the spherical Mixel eye is actually a CCBS ball joint, and I can't help but smile when someone uses a couple of those in a frame.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby darksyntax » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:13 pm

Excellent walking tank! Especially like the feet and the aforementioned double balljoint legs.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby HyveMynd » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:42 pm

That is a fantastic frame. I love the use of Mixel ball joints and Mixel eye.

Any chance we can get a breakdown?
@HyveMynd on Twitter

Philly Expat in Japan | audio editor by day RPG creator by night | Monsterhearts fan | LEGO builder | Netrunner player | she/her
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby Hackjob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:02 pm

Smashing! Reminds me of some anime, but I can't remember which. I hate to sound redundant, but the double ball joint connection is really sweet, might have to steal that one.
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jay Biquadrate » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:45 pm

HyveMynd wrote:Any chance we can get a breakdown?

Yup. With the holiday, it took a while to actually get back to the workshop and get some pictures taken. It's not a complete breakdown since the top is basically all greebles. The body of the frame is just a one brick thick stack with hardpoints along the sides and SNOT bricks in the middle.

Scylla Breakdown - The Bottom by Jay Biquadrate

Scylla Breakdown - The Top with greebling displayed by Jay Biquadrate

Scylla Leg Breakdown by Jay Biquadrate

Full disclosure: this is my first time shooting on a black background. I wanted more contrast since the frame is built in white. I'm not exactly happy with the result. Looking at the raw images, I think my lighting wasn't set up quite right since the black is a little shiny and the colors in some shots looks alternatively too yellow or blue.
Jay Biquadrate
Talkative

Postby HyveMynd » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks! I feel like Christmas has come early. :D
@HyveMynd on Twitter

Philly Expat in Japan | audio editor by day RPG creator by night | Monsterhearts fan | LEGO builder | Netrunner player | she/her
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:25 am

Jay Biquadrate wrote:Full disclosure: this is my first time shooting on a black background. I wanted more contrast since the frame is built in white. I'm not exactly happy with the result. Looking at the raw images, I think my lighting wasn't set up quite right since the black is a little shiny and the colors in some shots looks alternatively too yellow or blue.

Instead of curving your backdrop up, drop it down over the side of a table and leave a bunch of space (like 10ft or more, if you can) behind it. If there's no significant light getting to the far background it'll go black. This is much easier to accomplish with flash than with hot lights, but you can do it with either. To fix your color shift, if you haven't moved the lights and camera from shot to shot, then you probably need pick a while balance setting that isn't auto.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Jay Biquadrate » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:24 pm

Blorf wrote:Instead of curving your backdrop up, drop it down over the side of a table and leave a bunch of space (like 10ft or more, if you can) behind it. If there's no significant light getting to the far background it'll go black. This is much easier to accomplish with flash than with hot lights, but you can do it with either. To fix your color shift, if you haven't moved the lights and camera from shot to shot, then you probably need pick a while balance setting that isn't auto.

Thank you for the advice. My photography and photoshop skills definitely need some work. I need more practice (and time to experiment) with camera settings and cleaning up the images digitally. As I take more pictures and build more, I'm also finding that my photo set-up isn't quite big enough to handle anything larger than a frame or two.
Jay Biquadrate
Talkative

Postby Jay Biquadrate » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Thanks to a 2015 retrospective shot on Flickr, I located the source MOC for the feet inspiration. Check out Anton Sundström's Gynoid if you're curious how parts of large MOCs can translate down to 7P scale frames.
Jay Biquadrate
Talkative

Return to Frame Designs