CK Industries Prototype Frames

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

CK Industries Prototype Frames

Postby Cake » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:04 am

CK Industries would like to present two new prototype Frames:

First, the CK-Z1 Zeus - larger than a Chub and our own CK-01 Hephaestus, this Frame is intended as a heavy duty Combat Frame. This design is presented with a dummy prototype heavy rifle that will be manufactured alongside the CK-Z1 Zeus to take advantage of the CK-Z1 Zeus' enhanced load carrying capability compared to other Combat Frames.

Please note that the CK-Z1 Zeus presented in these pictures is unpainted. An official colour scheme will be unveiled once prototyping and testing is completed.
ImageCK-Z1 Zeus Prototype - Front by thamilus, on Flickr
ImageCK-Z1 Zeus Prototype - Rear by thamilus, on Flickr
ImageCK-Z1 Zeus Prototype - Scale by thamilus, on Flickr

Next, CK Industries are proud to unveil the CK-S1 Squidge Mini Frame (or Exo Armour)- Smaller than the CK-02 Artemis, the CK-S1 Squidge is intended to act as a fast scout Frame in all combat theatres.

Please note that the CK-S1 Squidge presented in these pictures is unpainted. An official colour scheme will be unveiled once prototyping and testing is completed.
ImageCK-S1 Squidge - Front by thamilus, on Flickr
ImageCK-S1 Squidge - Rear by thamilus, on Flickr
ImageSquidge & Hephaestus by thamilus, on Flickr
...Hey now, that's not nice!

The Zeus was the result of an obsession in building a fully articulated Frame - it's based off legs I saw on here (can't remember the creator, sorry :( ) and an adapted core from a Frame concept I've not bricked up and photo'd yet. The Squidge was thrown together as the result of wanting to create a 1p scale Frame (it may even be 2p) that could be used in a large city map, where large multi-storey buildings (office blocks, etc) can be destroyed - I'd love to have a giant, persistent MF0:RA board that consisted of loads of big buildings on it that slowly fell to ruin as more and more skirmishes were fought over it.

C&C welcome on these (and also the two linked Frames :) )
Rooftop Racing Rules (Version 0.5.0) Version 0.5.1 coming soon, with some tweaks and bits that I missed in 0.5.0.

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Re: CK Industries Prototype Frames

Postby Blorf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:18 am

That Squidge is precious!

Cake wrote:...a large city map, where large multi-storey buildings (office blocks, etc) can be destroyed - I'd love to have a giant, persistent MF0:RA board that consisted of loads of big buildings on it that slowly fell to ruin as more and more skirmishes were fought over it.

Talk to this guy.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby HyveMynd » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:43 pm

Yeah, I love the Squidge. :D

The Zeus looks good, but to be honest the exposed ends of the Ts for the shoulders and hips are bugging me. What would it look like with a brick sandwiched between two v-clips instead of the clip tile?
@HyveMynd on Twitter

Philly Expat in Japan | audio editor by day RPG creator by night | Monsterhearts fan | LEGO builder | Netrunner player | she/her
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby XGundam05 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:37 am

Squidge = squee! And I'm not typically the "squee" sort ;)

For the exposed ends on the Ts, you could add a small technic bushing, or you could attach some sort of shoulder/joint "housing" to it.
XG5 Systems Blog - "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Cake » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:20 am

Blorf wrote:That Squidge is precious!

HyveMynd wrote:Yeah, I love the Squidge. :D

XGundam05 wrote:Squidge = squee! And I'm not typically the "squee" sort ;)

It is just adorable isn't it - thanks guys :D

XGundam05 wrote:For the exposed ends on the Ts, you could add a small technic bushing, or you could attach some sort of shoulder/joint "housing" to it.

HyveMynd wrote:The Zeus looks good, but to be honest the exposed ends of the Ts for the shoulders and hips are bugging me. What would it look like with a brick sandwiched between two v-clips instead of the clip tile?

Thanks for the feedback :) - they don't bother me much aesthetically, but the clip tile joint isn't massively secure (mostly because the shoulder/hip bricks grip the Ts really tightly). Replacing the clip tile with a brick between two v-clips would be a lot better looking, and stronger - I have an idea related to this that I want to try...

Blorf wrote:Talk to this guy.

I remember seeing that a while back, when I first started to lurk on the forums - that set up would be awesome, and more-or-less exactly what I'd like to do, though making it 1p or 2p would make it more affordable, thanks for linking to it :)

UPDATE:
PROUDLY PRESENTING THE CK-S1 SQUIDGE SQUAD:

Shown here defending a Thing That Needs Defending:
ImageSquidge Squad 1 by thamilus, on Flickr
Depicted are: Soldier unit with stowed SSR, Melee unit with 2 SSRs, Soldier unit, Artillery unit

"How are they defending it?" I hear you ask (possibly). With the CK Industries prototype Unyielding Multipurpose Barricade with Rapid Expansion Light-weight Layered Armour(tm) system:
ImageSquidge Squad 2 by thamilus, on Flickr

Here's the deployed Unyielding Multipurpose Barricade with Rapid Expansion Light-weight Layered Armour(tm) system up close:
ImageSquidge Squad 3 by thamilus, on Flickr

And here's the Artillery: CK Industries CK-AS01 Foehammer Artillery - more BOOM in a smaller package - Order yours today (CK-S1 modified with heavier feet to counteract recoil):
ImageSquidge Squad 4 by thamilus, on Flickr

These made me smile so much when I put them together... :D
Rooftop Racing Rules (Version 0.5.0) Version 0.5.1 coming soon, with some tweaks and bits that I missed in 0.5.0.

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby Atavism » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:43 am

The little lightsaber squidge is the best!
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:01 am

You're just two Squidges short of a Trundleball team.

I like your Thing that Needs Defending. It's a very defense-worthy thing.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Cake » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:12 am

Blorf wrote:You're just two Squidges short of a Trundleball team.

I need more parts, or less guns to do that... Wait do we even need guns to play Trundleball?

I like your Thing that Needs Defending. It's a very defense-worthy thing.

Thanks, I thought it was worthy of defence too :)
Similar part count to a Squidge, took far longer to build...

Atavism wrote:The little lightsaber squidge is the best!

He is adorable, isn't he? :)
His jump pack is almost as big as him :D

After receiving feedback from potential customers, we're proud to present the CK-Z1 Zeus Mk2 Prototype with a variety of shoulder and hip modifications. Normally we'd keep developments like these in-house, but we've decided to go for a more 'Crowd-Sourced' approach. This way the customers get exactly what they want...
Hopefully they have some sort of clue...
Hey now, that's just rude!

Any way, here's the Images you've been waiting for (I hope):
ImageZeus Prototype 2a by thamilus, on Flickr
ImageCK-Z1 Zeus Prototype 2b by thamilus, on Flickr
ImageZeus Prototype 2c by thamilus, on Flickr
ImageZeus Prototype 2d by thamilus, on Flickr
Jesse doesn't look very impressed...
She wouldn't be, I think Tony's trying to impress her with the Zeus' amazing flexibility...

Took on board people's thoughts regarding the Zeus MK1, and have put together a variety of different arms and legs. Further C&C most welcome. Cheers

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:35 am

Cake wrote:I need more parts, or less guns to do that... Wait do we even need guns to play Trundleball?

Trundleball players usually use inertial accelerators (push guns). They can also shove with their arms or simply ram into each other. Since you only get two systems, carrying an accelerator gun certainly isn't a guarantee.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby FragsturBait » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:24 pm

Cake wrote:
Blorf wrote:Talk to this guy.

I remember seeing that a while back, when I first started to lurk on the forums - that set up would be awesome, and more-or-less exactly what I'd like to do, though making it 1p or 2p would make it more affordable, thanks for linking to it :)

Aw shucks you guys. :oops:

I would LOVE to build a few city blocks for a tournament or something, so by the final round it's just rubble. It would probably require a few custom rules to account for a multistory battlefield (standard height advantage rules if 1 story up, +1 dice per attack roll for each additional story?), what happens if a skyscraper gets dropped on a frame (automatic loss of two systems, if it survives it can climb out of the rubble and fight on?), how to handle large chunks of falling rubble (it loses a few bricks when it lands and still is cover if it's large enough?) and whatnot.

It could make for a hell of a game though.
FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:56 pm

I got a game in last night where my opponent hid behind a 15-brick-tall tower. I brought down the whole thing trying to get at him with arty while my ground forces closed. It was excellent! But it also provided a huge advantage to him as defender and may have been the deciding factor in my inability to take the lead. If your battlefield were almost all nearly indestructible cover like this, you should expect a lot of defensive wins.

He also put his station on top of it so we had to improvise. Or solution was to take it off, break the cover, then put it back in the same place—mid-air—and let it lay where it fell.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Cake » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Blorf wrote:I got a game in last night where my opponent hid behind a 15-brick-tall tower. I brought down the whole thing trying to get at him with arty while my ground forces closed. It was excellent! But it also provided a huge advantage to him as defender and may have been the deciding factor in my inability to take the lead. If your battlefield were almost all nearly indestructible cover like this, you should expect a lot of defensive wins.

That battle looked like a lot of fun - I really want to play more (any) games
Blorf wrote:He also put his station on top of it so we had to improvise. Or solution was to take it off, break the cover, then put it back in the same place—mid-air—and let it lay where it fell.

That's a nice, simple solution to the problem

CKI wrote:CK Industries proudly presents another prototype: the CK-W1 Walker [because we sometimes struggle to come up with names for things]:

This is a heavy duty combat Frame, loaded out here with 2 Heavy Machine Guns [see, this is really hard...]
The legs are based on those found on the B-025 Razor [because we sometimes like to borrow other people's ideas...]
ImageCK-W1 Walker 1 by CK Industries, on Flickr
ImageCK-W1 Walker 2 by CK Industries, on Flickr

Next up, a copy of the OMF-G42 S1 Natalie [Seriously, I think CK really stands for "Copy Kat"...], the CK-05 Natalia:
ImageCK-05 Natalia 1 by CK Industries, on Flickr
Rear View:
ImageCK-05 Natalia 3 by CK Industries, on Flickr
Another Front View:
ImageCK-05 Natalia 2 by CK Industries, on Flickr

I spotted eduty's OMF-G42 builds on Flikr, and really liked them, so put together a variant of the S1 - the legs and back are slightly different, but otherwise it's an almost direct copy. I'm not totally sold on the legs, though, i find them to be too fragile.

The Walkers' legs are brilliant, and wonderfully sturdy - I still haven't done a proper attempt at the B-025 Razor, this was something of a copy based on memory whilst we had no internet at home.

I've a few more copies to "prototype", expect to see them soon, as well as the true CKI prototype of the B-025 :D

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:53 pm

That's a nifty double-bracket to bulk out the legs and get a stud reversal.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Cake » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:29 pm

Blorf wrote:That's a nifty double-bracket to bulk out the legs and get a stud reversal.

Thanks :). The 2x2 bracket was added to hide the bottom of the 1x2 bracket - I'm sligtly obsessive about not having that part of brick showing (I'm not sure why). The extra bulk it added seems to fit the general shape of the frame rather well.

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby Cake » Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am

Customer feedback is always the best...

Here at CK Industries we've been developing the CK-S1 Squidge to meet with out test pilot's recommendations and have encountered a problem: head room in the CK-S1 for the pilot is somewhat limited, to the point that jumping, walking, turning, firing weapons, swinging the frames arms, etc. all cause the pilots head to encounter the top of the cab, usually at speed. Our test pilot is a good 3" shorter than he used to be...

We have come up with several solutions, but we don't know which one is the best so we come to you, our wonderful customers, in the hope you can decide the problem once and for all.

Here's an image of the various prototypes:

Front centre is the original prototype
Front left is the "Tallboy" configuration
Front right and the two rear CK-S1s all share the same body type but have different heads (no official configuration designation yet)

----
I turned my Artemis Frames into more of these, and then got playing around with my bits box. The Tallboy is one of the more amusing setups I've come up with. I'm not 100% sure which way I'd like to take these, so I thought I'd ask you wonderful people for your input - it's greatly appreciated :)

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby gergeryD » Thu May 21, 2015 9:17 am

i definitly love it ! your design is just very cool , and the little frame are just cute :3 i will maybe use this design for my second compagnie
- Whut ? you'v got nothing for'me boy's ?
- not boss's ! the ijad hav'e all'the gun'z !

this is a typical ork's conversation , when ijad stole their weapon
gergeryD
Young Gun

Postby Mantisking » Thu May 21, 2015 9:43 am

Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Cake » Thu May 21, 2015 10:00 am

Apparently, but without even knowing it! :D

Thanks for the link, there's some interesting stuff that Moosebot's done :)

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby Cake » Thu May 21, 2015 2:10 pm

gergeryD wrote:i definitly love it ! your design is just very cool , and the little frame are just cute :3 i will maybe use this design for my second compagnie

Thanks! They are adorable, aren't they :D

Feel free to use them in any way you like

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby gergeryD » Thu May 21, 2015 2:27 pm

oki , and i really want that you give the permission to use your frame concept , for the my campaign background , ill send you a mail ( the mail of the forum ) with more detail ;)
- Whut ? you'v got nothing for'me boy's ?
- not boss's ! the ijad hav'e all'the gun'z !

this is a typical ork's conversation , when ijad stole their weapon
gergeryD
Young Gun

Next

Return to Frame Designs