B-025 Razor

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

B-025 Razor

Postby Blorf » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:20 am

The B-025 Razor is a pure military model developed for and employed by the Solar Union. It is larger and heavier than an ST-07 Chub but actually stands shorter, vertically. This makes it suitable to heavier tasks than the Chub, but with a stronger powerplant and actuators it still retains similar speed and maneuverability. Pilots particularly enjoy its upgraded sensors, greater load capacity, and heavier armor. The relatively large leg provides impact absorption from dropship deployment. While the enhanced armor generally doesn't keep the frame operational for a longer duration of time, it does a much better job of keeping the pilot alive and preventing serious injury when the frame is disabled in battle. Since Razor pilots are often highly trained elites, protection of this investment in human capital is often reason enough to justify the cost.

The cost of these upgrades is a greater mass and fuel consumption. As such, the units are employed more frequently in dedicated "spare-no-expense" strike operations than as a general purpose unit and are more frequently employed by the TEM than other branches. In the free colonies, instances are extremely rare and obviously illegally obtained. The unit often fills a standard soldier role in a flexible strike force that needs to react quickly to changing conditions, but is only employed in situations where conflict is nearly guaranteed. A company rarely uses these exclusively; they are typically found either in support of or being supported by more specialized units.

As a result of its niche and additional overhead expense of operation, if there are Razors on the ground it's a pretty good signal that negotiations are over.

Image Image
Image Image

This is my favorite build that I've done so far.

It took a lot of work. I knew I wanted to build a squad, because I'd never built more than one-off of anything. So, I only used parts I could find in fours, putting one in the 'usable' pile and setting three aside. This was a pretty tough restriction. I'd settled on a tan color scheme with red accents, centering around the hero factory piece that is the head. You might notice the build has no tan parts in it now. I don't really know how that happened. I had trouble keeping it small but the final size feels about right for what I was going for.

If I'd done a design journal on this build, there would have been a huge number of radically different designs in it. I built and threw away dozens of designs for each component. It had no ball joints to begin with. It had reverse-angle legs. It had an articulated, and then just an implied elbow. It had a separate head. The front piece is about the only thing that was consistent throughout, but actually using the piece is a challenge. Unless you use the internal ball joint, (here's an example of doing that really well, but you can't get the lens in front that way,) you've only got two bar connectors to work with. The interior of the piece restricts most bricks from even fitting inside once you have a bar in place. In the end I gave in on perfectly matching them 100%, but only after all of the most important parts were settled. The differences are mostly subtle changes in coloration.

There's more than a nod here to the excellent Damascus, but I can say I did not copy a single one of its actual connections. After staring at the few images available of that build for at least a full hour, I still have no idea what the internal structure of it is. I think I brought enough to this frame to call it completely my own.

And here's a Chub comparison shot, for people who want to see.
Image Image
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Re: B-025 Razor

Postby Cake » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:49 am

This is a nice build, very utilitarian and military in appearance. Very cohesive colour schemes too. :)

When I saw the first few images, it looked like it was quite a small frame. It wasn't until the Chub comparison photos that I realised it's far larger than I thought.

I'm tempted to have another look at the mixel joints, I've never been able to create something I was happy with, I keep finding them too limited in range of motion - probably because I've been trying to create a fully articulated Frame (it's been a bit of an obsession...)

I like these a lot, and may come up with a derivative, as I don't have any Hero Factory pieces.
Rooftop Racing Rules (Version 0.5.0) Version 0.5.1 coming soon, with some tweaks and bits that I missed in 0.5.0.

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby A YATES INDUSTRIALS » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:39 am

SICK!!!!!
o)-<|:
A YATES INDUSTRIALS
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dumpers » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:44 am

These are fantastic! I really like the effect you got out of the HF piece with the lens. The articulation and shape of the arms is really nice too, I also like how effortlessly they can kneel, that's a fantastic design there! Anything I have that can kneel is fiddly as can be and falls over if you look at it wrong.

What made you give up the articulated elbow? That's my hardest concession to ever make, I love my frames to be able to flail their arms wildly.
Dumpers
Chatty

Postby Blorf » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:34 pm

Thanks, all! 5 exclamation points from Yates feels like a solid accomplishment.

Cake wrote:When I saw the first few images, it looked like it was quite a small frame. It wasn't until the Chub comparison photos that I realised it's far larger than I thought.

It's short, but wide and deep. It also sits fairly squat.

Cake wrote:I like these a lot, and may come up with a derivative, as I don't have any Hero Factory pieces.

I'd love to see it. (But Kai's Fire Mech is the only set I have these from; I've never had a HF set.)

Dumpers wrote:I really like the effect you got out of the HF piece with the lens.

I'm not the first to it. Check out the Damascus, linked above. It's really nice work and served as inspiration.

Dumpers wrote:What made you give up the articulated elbow?

A combination of things. With the limited parts I was working with, (I don't have a huge collection and one of my requirements here was to build at least four,) I couldn't find something that was stable/solid, sized correctly, and had nice shaping. I backed off on true articulation to get something that worked in the other areas. It's also what makes the legs work, as there's no knee there. The weakest connection in this build is actually the center of the core.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby pasukaru76 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:02 pm

These rock.
pasukaru76
Talkative

Postby Lorc » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:14 pm

These look super cool and I bet with those big feet they're super-stable too. It's impressive how posable they are without a real knee joint and the heads are very characterful.

And you're right - any good build is worth doing in multiples. A squad of identical builds always looks more legitimate than a solo.
Lorc
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:11 pm

Gotta love those beefy arms!

Excellent use of Mixels parts overall
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby gusindor » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:52 pm

Lots of good parts uses here, these really do look like top-of-the-line frames.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Red_Robot » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:03 pm

The fact that you can get these to "take a knee" without them actually having knees shows that these are pretty brilliant. Using the CCBS socket plates without becoming bloated out of scale is quite an accomplishment. Minimalism is an underrated building style. Articulation makes for fun toys, but play pieces for the game are often better off with implied joints.
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby darksyntax » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:30 pm

Good stuff! Along with the other compliments above, I like how finished it looks from all angles.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby XGundam05 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:32 pm

These are excellent :D I really like the shaping on these, especially in the arms.
XG5 Systems Blog - "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby MittenNinja » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:09 pm

These are absolutely great man! This is a company I'd be happy to have on the table.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby CmdrRook » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:12 pm

Excellent and distinctive hooded cowl look, a-la Puma, Direwolf, of which I am a fan. Also glad to see I'm not the only one who partitions multiples as a preliminary squad-building step. That's how I got my three most recent Penguin builds, and an approach I'm likely to reuse in the future to give me the production-line look I desire for Military/LE/Emergency Response frames. Great work, all around, including the lore. TEMs always need more love, in my opinion. =D
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Kazud » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:25 pm

These came out nice. I find my self always looking at any build to see if i can get at least five if not eight out of my collection of bricks. If i may im going to use your leg style for some units i like how it looks.
Kazud
Young Gun

Postby Atavism » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:28 pm

These guys are fantastic! Definitely worth the hassle of getting that head piece to work.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:08 am

Wow, this build is really resonating. Thank you, all!

Lorc wrote:I bet with those big feet they're super-stable too.

The stability is good, yes. I build for the table, not for the display shelf. They can still get off balance if you give them heavy equipment, but I think that's an issue for any biped. I have one huge rifle (sort of an elongated version of what the front unit is carrying) that they simply can't hold, both because it's too front-heavy and also that it just looks ridiculous with the compact stature of these.

Red_Robot wrote:The fact that you can get these to "take a knee" without them actually having knees...

An implied knee like this is super easy to build, probably easier than having a joint if you're building small. If anyone wants to do something similar, it's actually the ankle that makes it look natural. It has to be able to move on multiple axes if your legs taper outward, and being able to angle the feet outward a bit is a big help. The ball joint shines here as it can do all three axes in a very small space. I forgot the mention earlier that the knees were also articulated in one of the development iterations, too. It added a lot of bulk and I just didn't think it was necessary.

darksyntax wrote:I like how finished it looks from all angles.

Working with the Mixel parts makes this more difficult, because you're stuck with big gray stripes in the middle of your color blocking. This only started looking finished when I decided to make the stripe a design element instead of trying to hide it.

Kazud wrote:If i may im going to use your leg style for some units i like how it looks.

Feel free.

MittenNinja wrote:This is a company I'd be happy to have on the table.

You're welcome to visit and share a table with me any time.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:33 am

I can't wait to see these in person. I will say that there's a part of me that sees the half bow as the head and the head as a spotlight. I started mucking about with that head piece last night, nothing to show so far.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby A YATES INDUSTRIALS » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:13 pm

I really dig these guys!!!!!
o)-<|:
A YATES INDUSTRIALS
Grizzled Veteran

Postby spacemonkey » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:30 pm

Very slick frame and some nice weapon designs to go with them. :)
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Next

Return to Frame Designs