Donovan's Demolishers

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Donovan's Demolishers

Postby spacemonkey » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm

I've had these frames built and photographed for ages but never quite got around to sharing them. So without further ado, I present:

Donovan's Demolishers
Donovan's Demolishers by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
Carrying out guerrilla attacks from the deserts of Raktuves' equator, Marcas Donovan and his loyal followers continue to "stick it to the man" and evade capture by the UMFL.

I've been a fan of MittenNinja's Landscript design for a long time, so I just knew I had to build a team of them for my second mobile frame company.

Three Amigos by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
Spoiler: show

Making up the core of this company are these three Landscripts loaded out with d6Rh d6Rh d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6Y d6W d6W plus a d8Rr in the form of an improvised anti-frame grenade for each one. Not a standard build but I hope they will prove versatile if potentially slow.

The guns are my own design largely inspired by the FN P90. I had originally planned to include top-mounted magazines but apparently LEGO doesn't make 1x3 plates in trans-black.

Rocketman (Front) by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
Spoiler: show

While browsing through Bricklink, I stumbled upon Item # 87617 and just knew I had to pick up a few; as I had imagined, it works great for making a frame scale rocket launcher. Current build is only d6Ra d6Ra d6B d6W d6W which gives some potential advantages when considering PPA and Tactical Order. That said, I will likely add some sort of Movement system in the future to bring him up to the archetypical "Sniper" and increase the frame's over all survivability/flexibility.

Heavy Artillery (Front) by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr

This auto-mortar toting frame is currently loaded out as d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6B d6Y d6W d6W. He can definitely bringing the pain at long range but I'm tempted to drop the Spotting system (binoculars) and go with some more armor (maybe a riot shield?) to make him a true "Artillerist" archetype.

I had originally planned arming another frame with a rocket launcher but then I decided I wanted to make something with a little more artillery oomph; playing around with the same piece I used as the base for the launcher, I eventually came up with this double-barreled back-mounted mortar. :twisted:

Enormous Hurt by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
And just in case anyone doubts that a shovel can count as an effective hand-to-hand weapon: this image of Donovan issuing a beat down to an unfortunate Legionnaire was captured during a recent skirmish with the Sand Panthers.
=================================================================================================================

I haven't had a chance to actually play with this company yet so I can't judge their performance but, like my previous frames, I'm really happy with how well they came together aesthetically. :D
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Donovan's Demolishers

Postby A YATES INDUSTRIALS » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:52 pm

sweet ...I love that artillery unit!
o)-<|:
A YATES INDUSTRIALS
Grizzled Veteran

Postby darksyntax » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:21 pm

Love seeing a frame fully developed into a coherent company. Nice work!

spacemonkey wrote:He can definitely bringing the pain at long range but I'm tempted to drop the Spotting system (binoculars) and go with some more armor (maybe a riot shield?) to make him a true "Artillerist" archetype.

The d6Y when he's hopefully not in d6Rd / d6Rh range may not see much use. Might want to try a d6G instead: helps stay at range and can make flanking maneuvers on stations mid-late game if there's an opportunity.
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby Red_Robot » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:28 pm

This is a really sharp looking company. I'm a sucker for construction worker yellow anyway. I like what you did with the armored skirts. I particularly like the pic of the landscript handing out the spanking. :lol:
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby Lorc » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:17 am

This company looks great. The yellow jumpers and the black/orange weaponry makes them all incredibly readable.

Nice grenade SSRs too. And the headlight sensors, and ooh, spare rockets! And... and...

Just how you've made it so you can immediately tell what everything's stats are, without compromising looks in the slightest.
Lorc
Talkative

Postby Hackjob » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:26 pm

spacemonkey wrote:Enormous Hurt

Wow, Donovan made that Chub look like a hurdy-gurdy machine.

This company looks great! Those mortars came out pretty cool, I like the magazines. I agree with darksyntax that a single spot on an artillery frame is less than optimal, there could be a way to make it work well, but I haven't found it yet. I think some shoulder armor would make a nice d6B for the heavy artillerist.
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby gusindor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:24 pm

I love the little kick-stand for the artillerist.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Thanks for the all comments and compliments, MoFOs! :D

Lorc wrote:This company looks great. The yellow jumpers and the black/orange weaponry makes them all incredibly readable.

Nice grenade SSRs too. And the headlight sensors, and ooh, spare rockets! And... and...

Just how you've made it so you can immediately tell what everything's stats are, without compromising looks in the slightest.

Thanks, I put a lot of forethought into colors for the frames before I started assembling them and then I tried to stick to a consistent theme as bricked out their equipment/systems.

Hackjob wrote:I agree with darksyntax that a single spot on an artillery frame is less than optimal, there could be a way to make it work well, but I haven't found it yet. I think some shoulder armor would make a nice d6B for the heavy artillerist.
Hmm, shoulder armor, I'll have to play around with that.

gusindor wrote:I love the little kick-stand for the artillerist.

Thanks, it worked to solve an actual balance problem on the model but also looks practical/functional as I figured trying to safely fire without some sort of mechanical brace would probably require the frame to squat on all fours.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:28 pm

I've already devised a succesful strategy that involves using a single spot on an artillery frame. Just field it with a "buddy" rich on direct fire at its side.

Works great if you're on defense and you know your opponents are going to charge at your artillery frame anyway.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby MittenNinja » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:12 pm

These look great man! I really dig the shovels and the mortars for perfectly on the back of the torso there. Nice work!
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Interesting combined-arms strategy, VitorFaria. Something I will have to consider in the future. :)

MittenNinja wrote:These look great man! I really dig the shovels and the mortars for perfectly on the back of the torso there. Nice work!

Wow, praise from the creator of the Landscript himself! :shock:
Thanks! It just happened that as I was fitting the mortar unit onto the frame's back when I noticed I could add the 1x2 plate and the cheese wedge on the end to give it a more cohesive/purpose-built look.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:36 pm

Been working on revising this company's frames slowly over the last few years; thought I would drop a few new images as a preview of things to come.
=================================================================================================================
Rocketman Redux (Front) by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
While I was fairly happy with the original "Rocketman" build, I had always wanted to improve the rocket designs to make them more than just warheads. A lot of trial and error resulted in a surprisingly simple addition that really improved that look. The new beefier rockets and some tactical changes with the company's other units inspired me to switch this frame to the Armored Spotter archetype ( d6B d6Y d6Y d6W d6W d8G ) loaded with d8Rr d8Rr d8Rr; the improvised armor plating and new sensor package grew out of a desire to make those other systems distinct.

Rocketman Redux (Rear) by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
After revising the rocket designs, I had to figure out a new holder/magazine for them. I originally came up with a variation of this that held four rockets but it was cluttered looking and proved fairly back heavy making the frame even trickier to balance. Stripping the frame down to just the two additional rockets worked well aesthetically as well as mechanically given the switch to using the rockets as actual SSRs.

Rocketman Redux (Scale) by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
I'm pretty pleased with how the revised "Rocketman" looks and hope to see how well the frame works tactically some day. :geek:
Last edited by spacemonkey on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Really nice SSR mounting idea!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Raedien » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:41 pm

Great color work and photos!
Raedien
Chatty

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:56 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Really nice SSR mounting idea!

Thanks! Surprisingly simple but I like how it actually makes the rockets look accessible for the frame/pilot to grab.

Raedien wrote:Great color work and photos!

Thanks! I'm liking how much less color balancing I have to do on the pictures now that I have a proper light box.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby DoubleDamages » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:22 pm

I really like thoses "civilian labor frames" looks, great job !
DoubleDamages
Newcomer

Postby spacemonkey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:23 pm

And now for pictures of the rest of the team!
Recon-by-Fire Demolisher by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
Not a lot of changes to my original "Heavy Artillery" frame, just a splash of color on the one arm and the addition of a couple sensor domes so it can fulfill the Recon-by-Fire archetype ( d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6Y d6Y d6W d6W). The domes are a pair of the Technic ball joint Mixel eyes that I literally erased the pattern off of. ;)

Charger and Pumping Station by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
Here is a revised grunt guarding one of the stations I made to go with this company; water is very important in the desert! I decided to reuse the improvised armor plating I had created for the Rocketman since it really sold itself as a more jerry-rigged upgrade (and made for a more distinct Defense system).

Charger and Transmitter by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
Here a grunt watches over a transmitter as it broadcasts more rebel propaganda. As you can see I made some slight tweaks to the guns but the biggest change for the grunts was the addition of a jetpack. Since my Armored Spotter and Recon-by-Fire frames would already bring some strong Spotting ability to the table, I decided to drop those systems from the grunts and switch them over to be full on Charger archetypes ( d6Rd d6Rd d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6G d6W d6W ).

Charger Jetpack by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
The switch to the Charger archetype necessitated the addition of a movement system and I went through many iterations of jetpacks before finally settling on with this design with the help of my wife. I'm really pleased with how they turned out.

Charger and Ammo Depot by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
Here we have team leader Marcus Donovan ready protect his valuable ammo depot. When I decided to give each of the grunts a distinctively colored arm it was mainly as a visual aide to distinguish them from each other but I also like the added makeshift look it gives.

Charger Jump! by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
Now this was really fun! When I discovered I had a spare trans-orange round 1x1 plate with an open stud, I knew exactly which piece I could match it with to demonstrate the (limited) flight capabilities provided by the jetpacks. :D

Jump Ambush! by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
Those Sand Panthers better watch their backs! Donovan's Demolishers are coming for them!
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby KungFujiApple » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:53 am

I really like the recon by fire demolisher, the shoulder cannons look great and the specs he's holding are a small detail that brings so much character. I love that pilot figure btw, it seems like a perfect 7p size.

The charger is very nice, the turbo thrusters look good, love the flame attachment. the thought of having a frame run into battle with a shovel is just so cool.
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Been Around The Block

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks! Since all the systems are built into the auto-mortar unit on the back, I like that the binoculars give the Recon-by-Fire frame something to do with its hand(s) and help reemphasize the long-range nature of its load-out. And yeah, that pilot is an old Mircomachines fig that stands almost perfectly at 7P scale when you include the base.

KungFujiApple wrote:the thought of having a frame run into battle with a shovel is just so cool.

The shovels were originally just kind of a throwback to the shovel carried around by Captain Estar (leader of Estar's Anvil). Over the years I've developed some head canon that the core of Donovan's rebel cell started out as a dredging crew so they are well acquainted with those tools (of destruction). :twisted:
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:49 pm

Never underestimate the shovel!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Return to Frame Designs