In Old Country, Krate stand on YOU!

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Re: In Old Country, Krate stand on YOU!

Postby FragsturBait » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:05 pm

Red_Robot wrote:
FragsturBait wrote:Pressurized Engulfing Napalm Inflammation System was another popular name in test groups.

Ho boy... You've been talking to Yuri, haven't you?

Pretty sure it's the scientific term actually.
FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby Kazud » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:04 pm

So Red_Robot your Krate inspired me to try a minifig scale Krate. Its not perfect but i think it fits the concept. Now to build 4 more.
https://flic.kr/p/r8JzZ1

Sorry about just a link the flicker site is smarter then me.
Kazud
Young Gun

Postby Red_Robot » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:10 am

Kazud wrote:So Red_Robot your Krate inspired me to try a minifig scale Krate.

ImageMinifig scale Krate by kazudiron, on Flickr

In old country, mailbox deliver YOU!

Looks like a fine frame any budget conscious mech jockey would be proud to have in their garage.

There was a term floated around the community, I believe in MittenNinja's circle, about soldiers in Chubs "being sent out to die in a blue mailbox." Maybe it was something Ryujin stated about a picture he did. This takes that to the next level. ...Not that Krate pilots die, mind you.

In old country, coffin bury YOU!

....I think I just figured out my next frame.

This also makes me want to do a TARDIS -/- KRATE mashup. *rubs hands together* Oh yes Twankus, VOOP that!
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby Red_Robot » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:18 am

Somewhere in Union Space...

Maximoff Tiberius Krate carved off a piece of salami and shoveled it into his mouth with his greasy hunting knife. He was enjoying a working lunch, sitting in his "office" catching up on news feeds and reading his backlog of t-mail. The local government was debating official support for the government of Quall and filing papers of secession from the Solar Union. Such a volatile move was sure to bring UMFL reprisals and TTA interdiction. And that sort of political turmoil was certain to disrupt a business such as his that relied on a free and unscrutinized flow of goods. Krate appreciated freedom, but he appreciated money more.

In old country there was saying. Better to put your finger to the wind, then to leave something else blowing in it.

Krate carved another slice of salami and chewed thoughtfully as he squinted at his display screen. He paused a moment in his chewing and scratched his nose, then stabbed at his intercom with a large, blunt finger.

"YURI! What is this in my t-mail? Is this spam...or..."

Krate was answered by a garbled voice punctuated by crackling static.

"No, no...not bring spam...well okay, bring spam. But no, my T-MAIL! What is this? When did this arrive?"

"Yes I KNOW you can't check my private account." Krate sighed and slumped back in his chair. He squinted at the time-date stamp again and picked at his nose. He read the message for a third time, as his lips muttered silently.

"Chet Mann... The Big Dogg, yeah?"

The message was weeks old. The fact that he even received it rather surprised him. He paid well to have a rather convoluted information exchange network. His little ploy at thumbing his nose at the old Twanker hadn't been without some consequences. But bravado was good for advertising. And bravado was something Maximoff Krate came by cheaply.

Krate fished into the jar of pickles on his desk thoughtfully. So what was this? Some ploy to try and trace his location? A gambit to get him to show his hand? An appeal to his pride to get him to put his head into the sniper's crosshairs?

The old Twanker was cunning. Of this Krate had no doubt. One didn't come by a fortune, even on a backwater planet, without some measure of cunning. And if word-of-mouth were to be believed, he and the general had something in common in having pirate blood running through their veins.

Krate devoured another pickle and belched. The door of his office swung open and a straw-haired young man in a red bandanna walked in, carrying a small blue tin of hermetic meat. "Ah, Yuri! Good! Just in time." Krate heaved himself out of his chair and walked over to the window overlooking the assembly floor.

"Yuri, when you get back down to floor pull Axl and Gomez off special project...and get Babba Yagga out of storage. Yes. You heard right. Give her full tune up. Replace cylinder fluid. Oil joints. Give her sand scrub. New paint."

"Then you put her in old Maersk shipping crate. That important part! Old Maersk crate. Then contact Edelweiss. Tell him I need crate shipped special care...very special. Tell him it need two gate hops. I pay extra so do good job. Also...tell him someone may come looking, so I owe him favor. Make sure paperwork look good."

"Then ship old girl to...Twankus Prime. Twanks LLC. Care of Chet "The Big Dog" Mann. Inside cockpit, leave note where I used to keep cigars. Note should read...'In her day, old girl really know how to run. Is good lesson, yeah?' Sign note M.T."

"That's it." Krate took the tin of meat from Yuri and addressed the young man's quizzical look.

"Yes, I know. But...my belly getting so big I barely fit in the old girl anymore. Besides, I have new frame anyway, yeah?"

"Yuri, in old country there is saying. When you play game of frames, you play to win...or you die."
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby Atavism » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:01 am

I must have missed this build. I really like the Babba Yagga, that box piece makes for an interesting torso and the color scheme is really fetching. Chet will love it if it ever makes it to him.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:00 pm

Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Red_Robot » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:18 am

NEW KЯATE HACKWOЯX 246 SUMMER KATALOG

Some people say, they say, "Hey, that Krate guy, he must be dead. No one hear from him in year."

In Old Country there is saying. "Rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated."

It time for new BIG BUDGET FRAME BLOWOUT!

You buy, yeah?

Hokay, first of all, old Krate, old Chib, all discontinued. You have old Krate? CONGRATULATIONS! Is now collectors item.

Now Krate line of mobile frames in new era of innovation and modular design. Introducing Krate Kradle modular mobile frame system.

In the market for an affordable and versatile starter frame? Then Krate Kannister is for you. You buy, yeah?

Now all Krate frames have interchangeable carriage, power plant, and pilot compartment designs. All based on technology proven on the Rooftop Racing Circuit!

Got a bigger job? Need your wulongs to go longer? Hey buddy, who doesn't? You need new Krate XL!

Krate XL built for big jobs on a budget. Easy upkeep to stay running longer. Don't believe Krate?

Well I'm not just president of company. Krate also a client!

This the IRON KRATE, command frame for Krate's Kossacks and a fine example of work from KЯATE KITBASH KUSTOMS. Need something more than off the assembly line standard? Krate work with you to make what you want. No job too big! No fee too big!

You buy, yeah?
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:02 am

Those are all really great!

Is the "modular design" just fluff or part of the actual builds? I can't see how some parts of some of those could be interchangeable without modifications.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Red_Robot » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:40 am

It's mostly just fluff, but it's also functional. I mean, it's not very hard since LEGO is inherently modular, right?

I decided I wanted something based off the Iron Cherub, but the Cherub itself basically just has one pose. So I came up with the concept of the "kradle" which is a few socket plates and an L bracket for mounting the shoulders, cab, and power plant. And then the pelvis is a small L bracket and a bar plate for mounting the legs. The Kannisters are different between square and round in that the plates are assembled studs down for the "droid body" round brick. Otherwise, they use the same mounts for the arms, the legs are the same, and the power plants mount to the L bracket on the back. And keeping with the joke that Krates are empty shipping containers, the chassis will mount any 2x2 container or stack of bricks. Even between the Kannisters and the XL you can swap out cabs and power plants. You can even switch the hip and leg assemblies out between them if you use a 2x2 adapter plate.

And of course, they all have the mini utility arms mounted on the front, so there are actually a lot of interchangeable features between them. I actually built these last winter, and they've been sitting around on my desk for more than half a year. I had originally planned to do a little vignette about Krate's Kossacks about how they were a militia cell somewhere out in Solar Union space. I might still do that. But they had been sitting around so long I just decided to get some very plain pictures taken of them.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby NinjaLegendDoom » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:38 pm

Maximoff,

You thought you could shrink under the radar? We at Heretech wouldn't get your technologies? Feast your eyes upon some good old fashioned Corporate Espionage!

ImageStolen Krate Tech by NinjaLegendDoom, on Flickr

ImageStolen Krate Tech by NinjaLegendDoom, on Flickr

We cut down on your heavy armor, and therefore will sell our "Boxes" for less than your Krates! Hope Twankus hasn't found you yet.

-Brandi Irons

I've always loved the Krate so when I had the chance to get the core piece at a discount I went for it... And now that I have the *ahem* questionable Heretech industries, I thought I would bring it back! Red, this is truly a great frame, and miss the Budget Frame Wars.
Erebus awaits us all...
d8Rh This is the way of the Ninja d8Rh
NinjaLegendDoom
Talkative

Postby KungFujiApple » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:57 am

I am glad that you recently posted something new on this thread because I get a chance to be introduced to the "Krate". And I just want to say the entire concept and design is super cool. First off Maximof Tiberious Krate is an awesome character. How he plays within the universe just works really well.

Now the builds, styles, and ideas for the frames are just great. I like all of the designes especially the ones of the New Krate Hackworx 246 Summer Katalog. Using the crate as the body of the frame gives it such a antique, cool, gritty feel. Really like this a lot, great job! :D
KungFujiApple
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Great to see the Krate again, nice work!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Red_Robot » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:33 am

Okay, first thing.

Some people they say to me, they say, "Hey Krate. New Box frame cheaper. Think cheaper make sexy. Why buy from you, yeah? You know what they say, they say, You go out in Krate but you come home in Box.

I say, "Whoa buddy! That copyright infringement! I thought we were friends?"

But it okay. I not mad. In Old Country there is saying. Corporate Espionage sincerest form of flattery.

Let me tell you something about Krate. Krate no monopolist running dog. Krate is friend to the people. Krate embrace competition! Competition make market strong like bull! Pass savings onto workers!

So Krate announce KЯATE HACKWOЯX KITBASH KAPITALISM KASH FOЯ KLUNKEЯS PЯOGЯAM!

What you say? "Oh Krate, that look good! How can I buy?" It simple.

Bring in Box frame, any condition, and get 40% off on next purchase of Krate.

Yuri, he says to me, he says, "Krate you must be KЯAZY! That price so good it INSANE!"

But I say to Yuri, I say, "No Yuri. There is nothing crazy about being friend to the workers. Krate is a man of the people. And in Budget Frame Wars, only winners are consumers."

So put that in your Box and smoke it.

You buy, yeah?

Long live the Budget Frame Wars. May they never end.

A knockoff of Krates? I am seriously worried for those pilots.

And thanks for the kind words. My Krate Kompany is probably my favorite bunch of frames in my collection. The ball-and-socket joints on the "kradle upgrades" make these fun toys beyond just being figurines. You can't really tell it from the pictures, but those things that look like armor skirts on the front are actually utility arm assemblies, and they can unfurl and hold little power drills and crowbars. So these guys are set up to be junkers and raiders, capable of field stripping other frames and cannibalizing parts. And the Kradle assembly fits with any 2x2 brick, even the rounded banded barrels and trash cans. So you can have krates, kans, and kegs. The only downfall of that box piece is that is can't -quite- hold one of those little 6p microfigs. That made me sad.

But it makes me happy that the Krate was inspirational enough to be ripped off. I'm still not quite happy with the arm assemblies on the Krate XL. Maybe I'll revisit that someday. So many new pieces have been added to the LEGO collection in the past four years, it's really been a game changer for microconstruction and MFZ scale building. Even on the last year of my dormancy, there have been new pieces that can make some really nice frame builds. I may have to tinker with some of these things soon.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby Shades_Corvid » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Makes me thing of Cherno Alpha from Pacific Rim
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby NinjaLegendDoom » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:01 pm

Number one I am honored that Maximoff took time out of his day to make a Kash for Klunkers over my simplified design! Second, Krates have always been a personal favorite of mine, I just need to buy more crates!!!

Third, Red Robot, I was smiling and laughing through Maximoff's reply, which doesn't happen often.
Erebus awaits us all...
d8Rh This is the way of the Ninja d8Rh
NinjaLegendDoom
Talkative

Postby KungFujiApple » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:29 am

Greetings Uncle!

This is your nephew, nephew Boris. I have good news from our sector, rebellion! Our nearby planet has been fed up with the Union, and a group of freedom fighters has already begun to drive out the oppressive forces. These fighters needed frames, so naturally business has been booming. We have been able to provide some of our own "signature" frames, but have also made some modifications to your Krate. Here is a picture of the modified Krate saying cheese:

image.jpeg

The freedom fighters love your Krate design, and our modified Krate frame has been one of the most requested frames in this uprising. So as usual Uncle, let's talk business. Since it is your design, until the rebellion is settled, you will be receiving a regular cut of our profits. You know the place where it will be deposited ;). In return we ask that you use any of your "connections" to help supply any scrap and munitions.

Baka!

Love your nephew Boris

PS. Mom says "Hi". She misses her older brother and plans on sending you a batch of homemade cookies for you and the boys.
KungFujiApple
Been Around The Block

Postby KungFujiApple » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:35 am

Just wanted to contribute to the really cool Krate build and storyline. Hope you like it :)
KungFujiApple
Been Around The Block

Postby Aardvark17 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Those loader arms are SUPER DANK! Not only do they look great as fists, they can also make cool poses! I also really like what you've done with the upper arms, the sand green "piping" adds a cool hydraulic heavy-lifter vibe.
Check out my Flickr if you want
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:17 pm

I can picture those forearms causing some damage!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby KungFujiApple » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:40 am

Thank you for the compliments :) . I just loved Red-Robot's Krate characters and concept that I wanted to add a little piece to it.
KungFujiApple
Been Around The Block

PreviousNext

Return to Frame Designs