985th "Sand Panthers"

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

985th "Sand Panthers"

Postby spacemonkey » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:37 pm

Been a long time coming but I finally finished assembling my first frame company and managed to get a few pictures of them to share.

=================================================================================================================
UMFL 985th Mobile Frame Company - the "Sand Panthers"
985th "Sand Panthers" by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
Tasked with patrolling the equatorial deserts off Raktuves, the Legionnaires of the 985th take pride in their Chubs.

Not quite stock Chubs, their legs are based on some variations I've seen others use and the backpacks are my own design.

985th Soldier Chubs
My current "commander" (with the red antenna) and both of these other Chubs are loaded out as standard but versatile "Soldiers": d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6Y d6G d6W d6W

The guns are sort of a blend of the design featured on Mitten Ninja's most recent Meerkat frame and that of some of the guns I've seen with Malcolm Craig's Landmates.

985th Chubs defend a station
The axes/hatchets both Chubs carry are mostly for show as I don't count them as systems on either frame; couldn't pass up picking up a couple in a recent Bricklink order given the color scheme I was going with for my frames.

985th Sniper Chub
I deliberately went a system shy when building this frame with an eye towards PPA and Tactical Order. Current build is d6Ra d6Ra d6B d6Y d6W d6W plus a d8Rr. I may change that out for a more archetypical "Sniper" load-out after realizing the Spot die is mostly worthless while engaging targets at Artillery range.

The Sniper Rifle was inspired by one featured on a Landmate by Malcolm Craig though my end product ended up with a much different silhouette.

985th Bruiser Chub
This heavily armored Chub is currently loaded out as d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6B d6G with d8Rr d8Rr . He is meant to shrug off incoming fire as he quickly maneuvers for a station or to deliver some much deserved face-smash!

The fusion edge is inspired by one from Foghammer's Remote Pilot Drone Prototype and the shield design is based on one XGundam05 used for a Commissar he built.
=================================================================================================================

In general I'm quite happy with my how first mobile frame company turned out aesthetically; I'm also reasonably proud of their performance in my very first game last weekend! :D
Last edited by spacemonkey on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Re: 985th "Sand Panthers"

Postby Scrape » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:50 pm

Great color scheme and overall look. Totally screams "desert warfare" to me.

Regarding your sniper build: you can keep it system-light and swap that d6B for another d6Y . That seems pretty typical, obvs, but still a very useful setup. Especially with all those d6Rd who would love a long-range spotter.

Also, those fireaxes are too perfect to not be d6Rh weapons. Imagine that chub hacking his enemy apart in the sands. Please reconsider for the sake of my imagination.
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby Ced23Ric » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:08 pm

That's some clean execution right there. 10/10, would love to start a fire for.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby MittenNinja » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:48 pm

Looking good sir! That's a fine company that I would love to share a table with.
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby woodwardiocom » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:03 pm

Very pretty, excellent photography!

(Though that shield screams "shell trap" to me.)

-JW
woodwardiocom
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Nice cover bits as well.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Dukayn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:34 am

What ^ they ^ said :)
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby mraichelson » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:39 am

Dukayn wrote:What ^ they ^ said :)
I put together frame building kits (and links to folks selling companies) at MobileFra.me.
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Postby spacemonkey » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:00 am

Thanks for the praise, MoF0s! :D

Scrape wrote:Regarding your sniper build: you can keep it system-light and swap that d6B for another d6Y . That seems pretty typical, obvs, but still a very useful setup. Especially with all those d6Rd who would love a long-range spotter.
That's another option I'm considering; I really feel like I should have a second Spotting system on someone but I also think I should try playing a few more games to see if it's really necessary.

Scrape wrote:Also, those fireaxes are too perfect to not be d6Rh weapons. Imagine that chub hacking his enemy apart in the sands. Please reconsider for the sake of my imagination.
Oh, I like the idea of those axes chopping apart enemies though it might be all the sweeter for having a d6W deliver that hand-to-hand damage. :twisted:

woodwardiocom wrote:Though that shield screams "shell trap" to me.

Yeah, I probably could throw some plates under those tiles and fill in the cavity better.

Blorf wrote:Nice cover bits as well.

Thanks. Each time I've visited my "local" Pick-a-Wall I've walked away with a few different tan bricks so I decided I should throw them together and see what I could come up with.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby soriansj » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:10 pm

I just posted some chubs and then noticed yours... wow! These are really fantastic looking. Really digging your use of color! If these are used at conventions, they would definitely be attention grabbers.
"Fear not the Defigo Hound that has picked up your scent. Fear the Master coming right behind it.
soriansj
Grizzled Veteran

Postby aimforthetop » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:17 pm

Outstanding color scheme, especially since grey was used on the inner parts to give it depth and also the appearance of having been 'custom painted' by the unit with the tan and red over it.
aimforthetop
Been Around The Block

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:17 pm

Been awhile since I posted anything related to these frames but I have slowly been making revisions to them over the last few years.
Bruiser Chub Redux by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
Mechanically the system load out on the "Bruiser" is basically unchanged with d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6B d6G d6W d6W plus a single d8Rr but visually this bad boy is probably the frame to receive the most updates so far. The earliest improvement was beefing up the shield so it no longer looks like a "shell trap"; I like how the additional color tiles tie the shield in with the frame/company as well as giving the look of reactive armor. I played around with making some changes to the fusion edge before eventually deciding to swap it out for this "heavy" axe; the black helps identify it as weapon system and it also fits in thematically with the hatchets on the soldier frames. The "ankle" thrusters/boosters were added to better denote the movement system (and are easier to remove than the original "roller heel" plates on the bottom the foot).

Bruiser Chub Redux (Scale) by mtspacemonkey, on Flickr
I was never particularly happy with my original SSR design for this company. The build was functional but it didn't clearly standout as a weapon/pseudo-system yet I didn't want something too large or distracting either. I must of played around a few dozen alternate takes over the years until I sort of stumbled into making this version which I'm actually very happy with.

Overall I'm pleased with the Bruiser's updated look and better "readability" of the systems; hopefully this is just a preview of changes to the whole company that you all will see soon. :geek:
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:02 pm

Dang, that's a nice looking Chub! Gotta ,ove that shield!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby spacemonkey » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:17 am

Thanks. The bulk puts a lot of pull on the shoulder connection but it really sells the "heavily armored" aspect of the frame. :)
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby KungFujiApple » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:05 am

The classic Chub is just plain awesome. And you have kept the awesomeness. Great color great design. :)
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Been Around The Block

Return to Frame Designs