B-008 / B-009 Issus

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

B-008 / B-009 Issus

Postby Blorf » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:36 pm

007 was also a quad I updated later.

Here we are, the first original frame I think I've done well. Serial 008. From here I will start looking for names, though I don't have one in mind just yet. Suggestions welcome. It's a general purpose service frame, not a particular combat unit as it lacks an optimal hardpoint configuration. That's reinforced with its large lift capacity and versatility in tasks such as heavy loading, construction, frame and other unit maintenance, and more—yet it sheds weight to retain a decent working range and terrain adaptability.
_MG_2587.jpg
_MG_2587.jpg (42.73 KiB) Viewed 1246 times

Here I think the components all work together to make a coherent build instead of feeling tacked on. This unit only has one real problem, adjusting the legs to match the center of mass can mean they end up at funny angles. Its no worse in stability than a chub, though, so it works fine as a play piece. Keen eyes may spot a few color mismatches due to lack of available parts. (You might in some of my other frames as well.) In fact, this and most of my designs are fairly light on SNOT parts from this limitation. I'm only using 2 taps and 4 lamp holders. The leg/torso joint is a 2x2 w/ wheel axle.

Here I show how the front panels can be removed for a slightly different design, or as I do, use them to represent d6B (or even d6B d6B )
_MG_2613.jpg
_MG_2613.jpg (38.69 KiB) Viewed 1246 times

And the back side, with engine/power section (also easily removable and could represent d6G ).
_MG_2614.jpg
_MG_2614.jpg (38.04 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Last edited by Blorf on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Dukayn » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:57 pm

I like the upper section of this one. The legs could do with some bulking up; at this stage they are quite thin and spindly looking compared to the chunky torso.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Re: Frame 008: (unnamed)

Postby darksyntax » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:28 pm

- I like the shaping on the torso quite a bit. I've become a fan of smooth/finished backs of late. Most frames look good from the front, but the backs end up looking unfinished.
- I like the idea of the feet, but they feel akward somehow.
- The legs aren't working for me; they look spindly compared to the torso and thick Chub arms. Is that hip joint a wheel plate?
- The arms. Meh; Chub. Something with more angles like the torso?
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:28 am

Thanks!

- Your comments about the legs would be spot on if comparing this to typical giant fighty robots. I've intended this in something a little closer to a steampunk style. Wirey, even impossibly skinny legs are not uncommon there. The vent array across the back and translucent tubes sticking out the top come from this style also. So basically, I see what you're saying, but I like it as-is.

- It's this one, so they fit back-to-back on the lamp holders easily and I don't have to try to hide the second axle which would be sticking up: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4600

- Arms. Yeah. I'd like to push those further given some future opportunity.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Re: Frame 008 & 009: (unnamed)

Postby Blorf » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:09 am

Serial 009 is this purpose-built loadout for construction tasks.

_MG_2594.jpg
_MG_2594.jpg (52.68 KiB) Viewed 1167 times

I didn't have all the right parts so there are a few substitutions. Notable is the shoulder, which ends up more bulky here. That I don't mind, but I never liked inserting a tap into one of those bricks because if you go to far it loses friction. Less noticeable is the center slope; the original had a 1x3 and this is a 1x4. I was going to go all yellow but then found this one with a sticker on it. It doesn't actually fit perfectly, but it holds well enough and it's pretty hard to tell that it's "wrong". I like the upper cylinders on the first model better, but this has the advantage of offsetting their heights so that rear bar could be added. The feet are slightly less table than 008, but I didn't want to bulk them too much and make the upper legs look out of place.

Stripped/Rear views:
_MG_2615.jpg
_MG_2615.jpg (44.67 KiB) Viewed 1167 times

_MG_2616.jpg
_MG_2616.jpg (42.51 KiB) Viewed 1167 times

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what the construction tool does (maybe some kind of focused heat source to activate or destroy chemical bonds in certain materials?) but I certainly wouldn't feel bad loading it out as d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh .
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby darksyntax » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:40 am

Diggin those feet. Put a yellow technic bushing on the end of those claws at the hips?
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:16 pm

I like that idea—I'll see if I have any!
Blorf
Mod Team

Return to Frame Designs