Evolution of the Shorty

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Evolution of the Shorty

Postby Wordman » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:49 am

A couple of years ago, I posted the Shorty chassis on my blog. While it isn't great, I do like a few things about it. Namely:
  • It is simple, with only 23 parts in the base chassis.
  • It is quite posable, rotation on one axis in the neck, elbows, wrists, ankles and hips, and rotation on two axes in the shoulders and the waist.
  • It features a surprisingly strong connection in the torso (stud to center circle of plate), making the frame a lot more solid than you might guess.
  • It is highly customizable, with various places where one part can be replaced with a host of others for different types of load.
Also has some bits I don't like:
  • It is sparse looking, not quite filled out. Sort of amateurish looking.
  • The feet are too small, giving it a slight balance problem (not as bad as you might guess).
  • Some major wasted rotation. There are two connections (the top and bottom stud of the travis brick) that allow full rotation around an axis, but they are stacked such that they both rotate around the same axis, which is useless.
  • Hips only allow rotation around X axis. Would like rotation around y axis as well.
Here is a render of the original basic Shorty frame:

In this thread, I will be experimenting with variations on the Shorty, to try to make it into more of a modern, high quality frame.
Wordman
Talkative

Re: Evolution of the Shorty

Postby Wordman » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:52 am

Here is the Shorty mkII-alpha "Rufus" (.ldr file). It sort of went a weird direction when I was playing with the bricks, becoming more of a full-fledged chicken walker. Even so, the basic concept of its construction is pretty much the same as the original shorty, with a 90 shift in the hips and a different torso:
I love its articulation (both the torso and the shoulders can basically rotate on all three axes). Balance is also pretty good. With the elongated torso, quite a bit of room to tinker. I think I found a fix for the feet that works pretty well without over-engineering it. The whole thing could be a bit too short.

I suppose this configuration is d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6Y d6B.
Last edited by Wordman on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wordman
Talkative

Postby Wadmaasi » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:07 am

Wordman wrote:becoming more of a full-fledged chicken walker

*swoon*

*googly eyes*

You had me at "chicken walker."

I've always preferred digitigrade designs (GERWALK mode, Glaugs, Mad Cats, Vultures, etc.) and with my discovery of MF0 I've really come to like what the side-by-side 1xWhatever long slopes bring to a given frame's hull/fuselage. This MkII is very nice looking.
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby randolph » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:09 am

I like the simple, functional elegance of the shorty, and I really dig the MkII.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mantisking » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:18 am

I've built one of the original Shorty frames for myself. I had a problem with the clutch between the pieces that made the legs and the Pneumatic T. I used the 1x1 Round Plates w/Hole to tighten up the connection.
The Cause for Katy -- A Bone Marrow Donor drive for Katy Flagg.

The Mobile Frame Garage -- A MFZ blog.
My Johari Window : My Nohari Window
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby The Trilobite » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:47 am

I *like* the original shorty. It has a 'this is a fun game' look to it, I think, rather than looking amateurish. And so easy to customize!

However, as Wadmaasi points out, chicken walkers rule. I too am a huge fan of digitigrade designs (and +1 point to you, Wadmaasi, for using one of my favorite words) and I think this one looks great.
"What do you put on your head to see all this stuff?"
--Just one of many questions raised by Porcelain Llama Theater.

My Johari Window
The Trilobite
Grizzled Veteran

Postby pasukaru76 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:20 am

The new version totally ROCKS.

Oh, and with some slight changes to the arms and a huge gun on top it would make a great Behemoth from BattleTech.
pasukaru76
Talkative

Postby aimforthetop » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:35 am

Awesome, a Shorty Thread! I first was turned on to the design by zeekhotep's Crimson Commando version on the nobsjustabs blog. http://nobsjustabs.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... y-chassis/

I've been building using ideas from that as it has a bunch of parts I already had in my old boxes, before I got into this whole non-linear microscale thing.
aimforthetop
Been Around The Block

Postby Wordman » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Keep it coming.

I should have mentioned in the original post: if you have modified the Shorty, I'd love to see and hear about it here in this thread.

Also, some quick and dirty .pdf instructions for the Shorty mkII-alpha
Wordman
Talkative

Postby StumpKnocker » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:55 pm

Oh man, this little guy has got a lot of personality! I think I'm definitely going to be playing around with this design.
Your friendly Solar neighborhood SavageTech sales rep.
StumpKnocker
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:56 am

Wordman wrote:Here is the Shorty mkII-alpha (.ldr file). It sort of went a weird direction when I was playing with the bricks, becoming more of a full-fledged chicken walker. Even so, the basic concept of its construction is pretty much the same as the original shorty, with a 90 shift in the hips and a different torso:

At what point does it become a new frame? From the Travis brick down, it's the same frame. Everything else has changed though.

Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Wordman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:50 am

Mantisking wrote:At what point does it become a new frame? From the Travis brick down, it's the same frame. Everything else has changed though.

That's be more of a philosophical question. To me, the arms are also essentially the same, as is the torso to center-circle connection. I dunno. If it needs a new model name… hmm… it's sort of a funky chicken, so name it after the writer of "Do the Funky Chicken" and call it the Rufus.
Wordman
Talkative

Postby Wordman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:28 am

Here is the Shorty mkII-beta "Onager" (.ldr file .pdf instructions). This one is closer to the original shorty, though the pelvis is redesigned and the torso and head use different parts:
This one has a wider base and a beefier look than the original. Slightly more articulated than the Rufus, as the hips rotate on an additional axis, and the head is on a ball socket. I vacillate between thinking the head is really slick or really dorky. I thought about adding another plate with an axle hole below the neck (probably a 2x2 round), but the axle/towball part dosen't fit between the studs, making it look weirder. Same with using a technic 1/2 bush. The feet turn out to be surprisingly versatile and stable. I went back and forth on the direction of the legs. I think I will probably turn them around, putting the handle of the tile in the back.

I probably went a bit over the top on the plasma missile packs. Still, I wanted this model to be a boomer. The bit on the left arm is a target designator. Color scheme is an attempt at desert/scrub-brush camouflage. Initially, the colors looked a lot better, but it turns out they don't make certain parts in dark tan or dark green.

I suppose this configuration is d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6Y d6B .
Last edited by Wordman on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wordman
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:31 am

That looks really cool.

Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby CrimsonKMR » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:50 am

I think you need MORE MISSILES! :lol:
CrimsonKMR
Talkative

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:54 am

CrimsonKMR wrote:I think you need MORE MISSILES! :lol:

Quoted for truth.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Wordman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:02 pm

Kay.
Wordman
Talkative

Postby CrimsonKMR » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:10 pm

Wordman wrote:

Kay.

Thats still a little small, but its acceptable ;)

(I wonder if that could actually STAND! XD)
CrimsonKMR
Talkative

Postby Wordman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:05 pm

In the brick, probably it would stand only because the weight of the missile packs would overcome the friction on the T-piece, and they would rotate down to touch the ground. Feel free to build it and see!
Wordman
Talkative

Postby Wordman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:07 pm

Here is the Shorty mkII-beta "Onager" rev. 2 (.ldr file). Moved the missile packs forward a stud (better balance), rotated the legs the other way 'round and changed/moved the head so it wouldn't get crushed by the missile packs. You can't tell from the picture, but the head remains on a ball socket.
Wordman
Talkative

Next

Return to Frame Designs