Master Chubdam Database

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Re: Master Chubdam Database

Postby The Hydromancer » Thu May 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Chubdam Avenger! Frickin' loving these Pogo knock off Lego Gundam heads that Blaine Bass introduced us to. I actually originally bricked this frame with a normal Chubdam head, but I didn't even bother to snap pics of it because the Pogo Gundam head looks so good.

Do we have a MFZ term for bit/funnel style weapons yet? Drones? I was thinking of Remotes. I dunno. They could work as direct, artillery, or even single shot rockets. In barrier formation, they could count as a defense system as well. So versatile!

ImageChubdam Avenger by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageA is for Asskicking by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageAlternative Allteration Atributes 'A' As Avenger by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageFists of Fury by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageAfter Earth by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageCompany of One by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageBarrier Formation by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImagePyramid of Protection by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageAvenging Devil by The Hydromancer, on Flickr
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hydromancer/
Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Thu May 24, 2018 10:28 pm

I like that you went for four drones, six would have made it a bit too busy!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby KungFujiApple » Sat May 26, 2018 7:49 am

So this build really knocks my socks off! First of all I have to say, it looks amazing. I mean really amazing! Everything on this build comes together beautifully. Those drones are ridiculously awesome, I love how they can be so versatile. The shield and gun have such a great simple, smooth, yet intricate style about them.

Then there is the Chubdam: a fantastic creation that has been and will be the identifying design of the Hydromancer. So the head... A purist might say " naaaay, that is not official lego". But let this be another example of how not using all Lego, can lead to something remarkable. That head is awesome. It completes the look really well. Love it, and look forward to more. Awesome stuff! :D
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Hydromancer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:06 pm

VitorFaria wrote:I like that you went for four drones, six would have made it a bit too busy!

Six would have been nicer for the pyramid, but balance would have been a lot tougher on the back unless I dropped the 'A' design and had them extend to the right side. Also, I ran out of parts :P

KungFujiApple wrote:So this build really knocks my socks off! First of all I have to say, it looks amazing. I mean really amazing! Everything on this build comes together beautifully. Those drones are ridiculously awesome, I love how they can be so versatile. The shield and gun have such a great simple, smooth, yet intricate style about them.

Then there is the Chubdam: a fantastic creation that has been and will be the identifying design of the Hydromancer. So the head... A purist might say " naaaay, that is not official lego". But let this be another example of how not using all Lego, can lead to something remarkable. That head is awesome. It completes the look really well. Love it, and look forward to more. Awesome stuff! :D

You are far, far too kind sir! Its been a long interesting path developing the Chubdam from its extremely humble beginnings. And as always, its simply a custom Chub at heart. I'm glad you enjoy them, it does warm my heart to know others get a kick out of it.

---
Chubdam Destrier 2.0, based on the Blue Astray Frame from Gundam Seed. New flightpack inspired by the rest of the Astray series (and by phayze81), new original rifle, new frontal skirt armor, and overall streamlined/simplified style. I tried changing the shield like 3 times, but keep coming back to the old style shield. I find whatever my latest Chubdam I brick is usually my favorite, but in this case I really love the white/blue scheme.

ImageChubdam Destrier 2.0 by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageAstray Style Flightpack by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageStand tall noble warrior by The Hydromancer, on Flickr
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:53 pm

I really dig the streamlined/simplified style, nice work! Looking very detailed yet practical!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby The Hydromancer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:25 pm

ImageHorizontal Powerplant compatible jump packs by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

Nine variations on standard Chubdam style jump packs. Note that they are compatible with any Chub style mobile frame by simply turning the power plant horizontal, which also opens up additional hardpoints on the top of the bars of the powerplant. Anyone who is familiar with the Chubdam will know these bars make very convenient storage/recharge racks for plasma edges, but uses abound.

ImageST-07A Chub (Leg&Power plant Update) by The Hydromancer, on Flickr
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby SamSam » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:45 pm

That os some Mof0 genous stuff!
SamSam
Talkative

Postby Aardvark17 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:56 pm

These are neat! One question, wouldn't this make the torso of a chub less stable, seeing as the torso isn't sandwiched together in the back again?
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Postby Artasid » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:58 am

Aardvark17 wrote:These are neat! One question, wouldn't this make the torso of a chub less stable, seeing as the torso isn't sandwiched together in the back again?

I was thinkning the same thing, but then I realized that I see no harm in putting a 2x2 plate on the back to hold the torso together then putting the powerplant upgrade on that. Just as a thought to share
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Hydromancer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:35 pm

Artasid wrote:
Aardvark17 wrote:These are neat! One question, wouldn't this make the torso of a chub less stable, seeing as the torso isn't sandwiched together in the back again?

I was thinkning the same thing, but then I realized that I see no harm in putting a 2x2 plate on the back to hold the torso together then putting the powerplant upgrade on that. Just as a thought to share

That's exactly what I do, yea. I just moved the plate from the front of the Chub to the back. I realize in hindsight I didn't do that in the render.
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby KungFujiApple » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:32 am

Nice designs and neat concept :)
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Hydromancer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:27 am

The wings for the Buster Roc Chubdam have been bothering me almost since I made them. Too large, used too many precious white 1x1 tooth plates, and didn't look as close to the source material as I wanted. Thus I give you the Cherubim flight system, or angel wings 2.0.

More dynamic!
A fraction of the white 1x1 tooth plates!
Significantly closer to Wing Zero Custom!
So. Much. Lighter!
Four Wings!

So for now, I'll call it good.

ImagePerfect Grade...for now by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageDouble the busting, double the fun by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageCherubim flight system by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageST-07C Chubdam Buster Roc (Wings 2.0) by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageWhen you need to bust the bunker under the bunker you just busted by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageOn a wing and a prayer by The Hydromancer, on Flickr
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:17 pm

Woah, nice! Much better than the previous version!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby KungFujiApple » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:42 am

Both are nice, this one looks exceptionally fantastic, very nice :)
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Postby SamSam » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:29 pm

Odd question but is gundam related.
Hydromancer, you build lots of gundam bots, Im guessing you watch lot of gundam anime. I am still new to gundam, any series you think a newb like me start watchin first?
SamSam
Talkative

Postby The Hydromancer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:22 pm

SamSam, for new folks I recommend Gundam OO as a great modern entry point. If you like heavier, darker themes Iron Blooded Orphans is a great modern entry as well. If you want pure beauty in action, Gundam Unicorn is a love letter to the original series done with movie quality animation and attention to detail. While personally I'm not a fan of the series, Gundam Seed is also loved by some.

---
Inspired by Vitor Faria's high render, I thought I'd take a swing at it. Seems I turned on 'battle damage' on accident. Playing with additional armor and thrusters, which gave me the idea that I should revamp the Onager....

ImageArmor Plus test #1 by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

...which I did. I think I have most of the bricks on hand to revamp the actual model, probably with the exception of the chest grill. Ideally I'll be fielding a revamp Celestial Being inspired lineup alongside the Gundam Wing inspired team for PAX Unplugged this year.

ImageChubdam Onager revamp by The Hydromancer, on Flickr
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Hydromancer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:12 pm

Yea so, this escalated quickly. What started out as playing around with the new Stud.io 2 render became a revamp of all four of the Sinstrals Company. Notably these frames aren't new in and of themselves as I've gone through at least 3 iterations of each. This go around however I really focused on paring down the number of bricks I was using and streamlining what I wanted to keep. The result, in no small thanks to the rendering program, are some of what I consider the smexiest Chubdams yet. Small details like simply using yellow taps for the standard Chub shoulder joints or using the 2 x 2 round tile with center stud for a chest piece meant shaving down parts in exchange for arguably a better look for the same effect. Probably my favorite achievement has to be the GN sword/half shield that's composed of only a corner plate, stud, pentagon shield, and 1x6 tile. 4 pieces! And it still flips out from storage to combat ready!

ImageSinstrals Company Revamp by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageChubdam Braver by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageBraver than Brave by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageChubdam Duelist by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageChubdam Chevalion revamp MKIII by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageChubdam Onager revamp by The Hydromancer, on Flickr
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:56 pm

The current versions of Braver and Duelist are my most favorite Chubdams ever, by far!

Usually Chubdams have some pretty cartoonish big equipment in order to cram more detail, but those have amazingly clean and lean proportions while still looking as detailed and close to the source material as possible!

I'm most sincerely impressed!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby The Hydromancer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:30 pm

Image dump, nothing witty because I'm le tired. Note the revamp of the Strike Chubdam draws from Vitor Faria's Lockon Trailblazer for the updated flightpack. I'm particularly happy that the design let's the wings fold in so well, and with a tiny addition incorporates the plasma edge hilts.

ImageChubdam Brimstone Stud.io 2 Render by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageChubdam Brimstone Long Limb test by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageChubdam Braver rework bricked by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageStrike Chubdam 2.0 by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageStrike Chubdam 2.0 Flight by The Hydromancer, on Flickr
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Hydromancer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:30 am

Finished revamping the packs for the Strike Chubdam 2.0! Fencer pack is the least changed of the revamps. I attempted to better build the rocket anchor, but while it functionally came out decent, it was out sized in a way that distracted more than the other packs larger pieces of equipment.

Might try the Impulse next, although I'm debating between just creating the packs for the Strike Chubdam or trying to make a new Chubdam which might be hard to distinguish between the two Chubdam designs more than usual.

ImageStrike Chubdam 2.0 Heavy Assault package by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageStrike Chubdam 2.0 Fencer pack ver2 by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

ImageStrike Chubdam 2.0 Pack options by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

With minor tweaking (4 extra bricks total), all 3 packs can be combined into the Chimera load out per the original version of the Strike Chubdam.

ImageStrike Chubdam 2.0 Chimera by The Hydromancer, on Flickr

Stud.io file for Strike Chubdam options, plus original Chubdam w/ standard equipment options.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndihwfmdrmjzx ... am.io?dl=0
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Frame Designs