SandRippers

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

SandRippers

Postby Artasid » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:25 am

On the isolated dessert planet known as D'Rav, there is no ruling government that is recognized by the Solar Union, the Free Colonists, or even to most Ijadhi. The nomadic D'Ravi's have built their society around trades, markets, merchandise and caravans. Supplies and resources are needed throughout the planet, however save for a few off-world carriers, advanced technology is even scarcer than ample water supplies. One merchant, throu vicious dealings with other tribes, as well as some underhanded dealings, has earned him wealth, fame and praise that the people of D'Rav have started to worship him as a Man-God. He is simply known as the Grand Dustashim. His real name has fallen into obscurity. This man is the single wealthiest merchant on the entire planet, and thus has a complex network of others to be his eyes and ears in every major city to enforce his influences. Nothing happens on planet without his eventual knowledge. In a sense, he has become the Godfather of D'Rav.

However, there occurred one single event that actually shocked the Believers of Dustashim. A single caravan, transporting goods from one city to its neighbor, some 55 miles away across scorching dessert sands, accidently came across a camping group of off-world Frame mercenaries that were suspected of hiding from Solar Union patrols. Fearing they were discovered, the mercenary Frames attacked the caravan, only two drivers were able to survive to retell what had happened.
Stunned by the loss of his merchandise (And a few good servants) the Grand Dustashim sent word off-planet that he would buy the contract of any freelancer Frame pilot to serve as his 'Frame Police.' They would be tasked with guarding caravan trade routes, providing peacekeeping in major populace areas, and to act as the Grand Dustashims personal bodyguards on the very rear times he leaves his villa. Four pilots and their frames have come and the Grand Dustashim had christened them, the SandRippers! Though there is word that more will be arriving shortly.

ImageSandRippers Company

Scurrier-Scrambler (Original Design by Atavism)
ImageScurrier Scrambler
Scrambler: d6Ra d6Ra Energy Rail, d6Y d6Y Dual Scanners, d6G Quad-Leg Mobility

Drifter
ImageDrifter
Drifter: d6Ra d6Ra Long Range Mortars, d6B Spike Plates, d6Y Scanner, d6G Leg Boosters

Alexanders (Original Design by Valtarshol)
ImageHR-H-05 Alexanders
LEFT: d6Rd d6Rd Combat Rifle, d6B Arm Shield, d6Y Scanner, d6G Rear Jump Pack
RIGHT: d6Rd d6Rd Heavy Bolter, d6Y d6Y Dual Scanners, d6G Rear Jump Pack

I hope you enjoyed. I am currently awaiting a parts order to create more for this company (5th member, stations ect) but I liked how it stands and will most likely add to it later. I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Re: SandRippers

Postby Atavism » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:34 am

These guys look very nice. The changes you made to the Alexander on the right are interesting, they add a lot of room for attachments (great gun too). The Drifter has a very strong vibe of Aardvark's "Comet," which I thought fit it nicely with the rest of the frames. Finally, of course, it is always flattering to see my own designs reproduced, thank you! I really like the way you fit the antenna "ears" into the build and consistent with the rest of the company!
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:16 am

Those are all superb, Artasid, nice work!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Valtarshol » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Nice! I'm loving the Alexanders, that's an interesting lower leg replacement! All on all the whole group works together really well, I'm looking forward to their fifth member and stations!
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Postby phayze81 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:12 am

Very nice! I love a company with diverse mechs and coherent color scheme! Looking forward to seeing what comes next. ^^

I really gotta build an Alexander....
phayze81
Talkative

Postby Artasid » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks all. Its not often I build companies with incoherent frames, but I try to make the gems when I do. lol :lol:

Atavism's Scurrier was what actually started this company. I wanted to recreate his frame, but having only Tan pieces to work with, I thought it would be interesting to make a desert themed group. However, I couldn't build a company of Scurrier frames ( :( ) because parts permitting, I then searched out for other frame ideas. The simple parts of Valtarshol's Alexanders really screamed at me and I managed to brick them as well. I was lacking in the technic connection plate used for the shoulders, so for the 2nd Alex, I ended up making a custom piece with lampholders, a 2x1 bar plate and a jumper. As Atavism stated earlier, it allows for more system connections, which I think is an improvement, but that's my opinion. As for the Alex's legs replacements, I had some trouble keeping the frames to stay upright with the original build so I replaced the lower legs with a socket plate, a ball&pin, and a new headlamp. It allowed for more stability when posing. Hope this does not cause an issue, and if it does, then I apologize.

I received the first half of my Bricklink order, So I am able to build the much needed stations. Still waiting for the rest so I can build more frames and systems,

ImageSandRipper Stations
LEFT: Water Fountain Aqueduct. Because water on a desert planet is worth more than gold ever could.
CENTER: Half Buried Merchandise Crate. Most likely the remains from a massacred caravan.
RIGHT: Half Buried Merchandise Crate. The same crate means it came from the same caravan.

I will add more once I am able to. Hope you enjoyed.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Valtarshol » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:27 pm

Artasid wrote:...It allowed for more stability when posing. Hope this does not cause an issue, and if it does, then I apologize.

Of course it doesn't! There's no one right way to build something, and not everyone's going to feel the same way about a construction method. If you feel like something's not stable than you shouldn't feel bad about modifying it into something that does! :D
Plus changing things around in existing ideas is a lot more likely to lead to new things and techniques than just building everything that interests you as a perfect recreation!
Valtarshol
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Studs on bottom stations? Stylish!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Aardvark17 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:57 pm

I've been wanting to comment on this so here it is. I really like this company; not only is the fluff really interesting, the frames themselves are great! The Alexanders in particular look great in tan. The stations are great as well, very original and nice looking. This is an excellent company!
Check out my Flickr if you want
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Postby KungFujiApple » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:26 am

Aardvark17 wrote:I've been wanting to comment on this so here it is. I really like this company; not only is the fluff really interesting, the frames themselves are great! The Alexanders in particular look great in tan. The stations are great as well, very original and nice looking. This is an excellent company!

My words exactly! Really nice job :D Also I am really floored how fast you can make some frame designs, especially for the monthly build. And in this company incorporating the scrambler(which is awesome) and the Alexander(which is also awesome) and then adding your own, I really like the drifter too, very simple yet effective build. Really like the backstory too :)
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Been Around The Block

Postby Artasid » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:18 pm

Still waiting on second Bricklink order. Hope this will entertain you for now. I have a lot more ideas to add here, but they'll have to wait.

FLUFF

"Oh Grand Dustashim!"

The courier praised as he bowed on his hands and knees on the golden tile floor inside the Grand Dustashims audience chamber

"He whom the sun shines in jealousy of your radiance. The holy power that blesses our existence, whose mighty-"

The Grand Dustashim slammed a heel against the tile floor beneath him, its vibrating tone silencing the endless praises from the lowborn courier. The Grand Dustashim stroked his well trimmed black beard and gazed hard upon the servant with cold steel blue eyes in impatience.

"To the point man. My time is better used elsewhere."

Grand Dustashim ordered. All others in the chamber swooned and cooed to the voice of their grand man-made dieity.

"A million apologizes Grand One. May my flesh rot in the sun and feed the wild beasts so they may grow fat and be hunted to be cooked at your table. My eyes-"

Another heel slammed. This time harder and much louder. The courier swallowed his praises and spoke the purpose of his visit.

"A new pilot has come Grand One, to answer your mightiest summons for frame pilots. He begs to be shown your immortal greatness that even we are not worthy to gaze upon."

Grand Dustashim sat into his pile of exuberant cushions, and lifted a jewel encrusted goblet. A servant girl was immediately behind him with a wine bottle and eagerly filled the chalice. Grand Dustashim waved his hand to signal it was enough and the servant girl audibled whimpered as she was dismissed.

"Bring me the dossier of this pilot."

He commanded. The courier produced a datapad and it was give to the Grand Dustashim.

ImageDynamic Appearance

"This is his frame, Oh Master of All."

The courier spoke.

"A modified Applied Dynamic Systems Inc. Model DWA-1109e. He calls it M.A.Ds."

ImageModified ADS DWA-1109e (AKA M.A.Ds)
M.A.Ds: d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh Dual SandRipper Claws, d6Rd d6Rd Tri-Barrel Cannon, d6Y Scanner.

The Grand Dustashim laughed, a joyous sound for all in attendance in his audience chamber.

"I like this person already. Bring them before me for the christening."

"At once, Oh Holy of Holies. The Master of the Heavens, he whom the stars weep at your absence from the celestial-"

Another slam of the heel against the tile floor, and instantly the courier had departed to fulfill his duty.

END

Hope you enjoyed. The frame is a modified version of Jay Biquadrate's ADS DWA-1109e 'Ratite' (Link ADS DWA-1109e). It was a fun build.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artasid » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:56 am

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

I finally got the rest of my Bricklink order. Here's some more for you to feast your eyes upon. :lol:

FLUFF

"I've decided to increase the size of the SandRippers."

Grand Dustashim said suddenly. All members of his audience immediately silenced themselves to hear the words that came from the mouth they had deemed to be as Holy as a god. All eyes were upon him as he made his sudden announcement.

"I feel that 5 frames and their pilots might not be enough to enforce my influence. I can't have them safeguarding my caravans and imposing my rule at the same time."

"Any who would dare oppose your almighty excellence does not exist, Oh Great Master of Creation."

Someone spoke among the crowd. Countless heads nodded in silent agreement. Grand Dustashim slammed his heel against the golden tile floor. The heel of his boot striking the floor rang out like a gong that would not be easily quieted.

"I lost a caravan full of expensive merchandise to a band of Off-world mercenaries!"

He roared. All others in the room instantly fell to their hands and knees in gesture of apologies. But Grand Dustashim strode forth towards the outspoken one and glared down at him with cold eyes.

"Is THAT evidence that these miscreants 'Don't exist'?"

He growled. The one who spoke earlier dare not raise his head to answer. He shook in fear of angering his mortal god. Grand Dustashim then grabbed the man by the nape of his neck, forced him to stand and Dustashim then threw him back onto the tiled floor. The man laid there, stunned, but alive.

"I have created an addition to the SandRippers. A second squad, if you will. And I will call them the Sandunes!"

ImageSandRipper 2nd Division Sandunes

"They shall be my enforcers while the 1st Division is safeguarding my trade routes."

Dustashim returned to his pile of luxurious cushions, sat down and took a long gulp from his jewel goblet.

"And I will not hear arguments on the matter."

This time, no one spoke out.

END

Here's the company individuals.

ImageSandune Fast Recon
Recon: d6Rh d6Rh Tri-Claw, d6Y d6Y Dual Scanners, d6G Rear Thruster, d8G No Ranged Weaponry

ImageSandune Blitzers
Blitzers: d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd Dual Blast Cannons, d6G Rear Thruster, (Left is equipped with d8Rr d8Rr . Right is equipped with d8Rr )

ImageSandune Defender
Defender: d6B d6B Dual Deflector Plates, d6Y Scanner, d8G No Ranged Weaponry

ImageSandune Artillery
Artillery: d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra Dual Rocket Pods, d6Y Scanner.

Hope you enjoyed and I eagerly await any and all comments you wish to share.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Just noticed you used an old Slizer/Throwbot hand as a gun turret on the M.A.D., cool!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Aardvark17 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:42 pm

The leg design on the Sandunes is genius. The fluff here is really good, a well-written and interesting read as wel. These all look great, nice job!
Check out my Flickr if you want
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Postby KungFujiApple » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:32 am

I really have been meaning to leave a comment about the 2nd Division Sandunes. These guys are just awesome! You put together some really awesome companies with great designs and features and with great backstory. I really like your work on this. The legs on the 2nd Division, are simple and terrific, goes along with the cool body shape. I am also a fan of the tri-claw, it's just put together so well.

Really awesome job, love it! :D
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Been Around The Block

Postby Raedien » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:48 pm

How did you do the head on the Left Alexander? It looks great!
Raedien
Chatty

Postby Artasid » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:00 pm

Raedien wrote:How did you do the head on the Left Alexander? It looks great!

Even today, Valtarshols Alexander's are receiving constant praises. He really found a gem here.

Per your request, Raedien, here's a headless breakdown. It's actually the same as Valtarshol's original build, the only differences are the tan round used on the ballpin and the trans orange round tile for the 'eye'.
ImageHeadless Alexander

Here's Valtarshols original breakdown pic of the head and torso
ImageHR-H-05 torso by Valtarshol Ceirn, on Flickr

Hope this helps.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Raedien » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:53 pm

I suspected it was a floating joint. Thank you!
Raedien
Chatty

Postby Artasid » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:04 am

All was fairly lively in the audience chamber of the Grand Dustashim. Musician's played continuously, Chamber maidens danced to the onlookers amusements, various traders, caravans and tribe leaders consorted their businesses'. And Grand Dustashim sat on his throne of luxurious cushions, quietly.

An attendant slowly crept up beside Dustashim, his posture was low in respect as he was about to address the one whom was but a god on this planet. His sunburned skin was wrapped in low caste robes and he smelled of sweat and dung. Dustashim sneered at his approach.

"Greatest of all in existence"

The attendant spoke softly

"The Great Don from across the sands has arrived and requests..."

Dustashim slammed his heel against the golden tiles that lined the floor. The sudden sound immedialy stopped everyone in the room. Musicians ceased their tunes. Dancers paused in their motions and traders silenced their tounges. All eyes were now upon their man-made diety to witness whatever awesomeness he will conjure.

"Surely"

Dustashim began

"The Great Don has a name. Did you not think to ask? I know of many Dons that live among the sands of D'Rav. I can not be expected to remember them all as simply Great Don!"

The attendant fell to his hands and knees in apology's, and as he did so, Dustashim rose his feet and then planted them on the small of the mans back. The attendant was now to serve as Dustashims foot rest. The attendant squeeled in sharp pain as Dustashims heels dug in.

"Admit this Great Don!"

Dustashim announced and instantly the center of the chamber was vacated to allow admittance of a single person. A Man whos skin was dark, but well toned. A muscular man that demanded respect, but even this manly specimen fell short of the grandness that is Dustashim. Dustashim reconized this man immediantly and smiled. He removed his feet from the attendants back, rose and walked to the man and greeted him with an embrace.

"This man must be in great favor to receive such a prize."

An onlooker observed as Dustashim rarely meets anyone in such a fashion.

"I welcome you to my home Don Callus. Your visit is long overdue."

"Your trade routes have left me a buisy man."

"And wealthier I hope."

"Indeed Grand Dustashim. In fact, because of your graceiousness, I come bringing you a gift."

Dustashim scoffed at the comment.

"We grew up together Callus. You are like a brother to me. A gift from you is not neccissary."

"A tribute then. For your continued wealth and prosperity."

Callus reached into his robes and pulled out a datapad. Activated it and passed it to Dustashim. On the screen was an image of a frame:

ImageSand Dragon
Sand Dragon: d6Rh d6Rh Golden BattleSpear, d6B Armored Shield, d6Y Scanner, d8G No Ranged Weaponry

"We have just finished construction of D'Rav's first Frame factory, and I wish you to have the first one off the assembly line."

Dustashim embraced the man again, and once again, the onlookers felt jealous that this man would be given such attention.

"I wholeheartedly accept, my old friend. Sit with me and let us talk about the old times."

END
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby KungFujiApple » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:07 am

I am really really diggin this back story. Actually the entire unit. Frame design, color, environment, backstory all of it is just awesome! Awesome! AWESOME! This is some of my personal favorite units by you. Keep up the great work! :D
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Been Around The Block

Next

Return to Frame Designs