KNight's Terrain Thread - Input Appreciated

Show off and discuss your objectives and table-top terrain
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

KNight's Terrain Thread - Input Appreciated

Postby OrangeKNight » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:51 pm

Okay, so I finally got payed out my vacation time from my prior job, and it was like 600$, so I'm going to siphon all of that into LEGO, not all at once, and not all MFZ(I got a 130 stud SHIP to buy parts for too! xD) and with that, I figure I'd make a Blog-ish post to chronicle everything, I bet it's going to be a bumpy(and thus hilarious) ride.

Contents
7 Plate Cargo Containers

Derp
Last edited by OrangeKNight on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Re: KNight's Terrain Thread

Postby OrangeKNight » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:02 am

7 Plate Containers

I built these as a combination/variation of A YATES' Design and my much Larger Shipping Containers, which are a variation of Swag(now Wafflebottom)'s Containers.

Key Features
- Interlocking design for stability
- Opening Doors
- Interior is 2 Bricks and 2 Plates high
- Various Colors!
- Tiled floor to easily slide
- Order 4 or more and we'll give you a Free heavy Duty Forklift!
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Postby OrangeKNight » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:31 am

I designed this as a companion to my 7 Plate Shipping Containers, I figured they needed a way of getting around! Anyone up for a Convoy?

Key Features
- Containers Lock in just like they would to another container
- Truck Cab seats 2
- Huge Sunroof
- Trailer Comes with Stand

I'm also considering some alternate versions, like a liquid transporter.

Let me know what you guys think!

Mike
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Postby OrangeKNight » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:03 pm

Whelp, we start some talk on a Game Board.

Basically I'm planning a Big'ole Game board, using 324 of These Awesome Modular Hex plates(Red System) but instead of locking them into each other I use 4x4 plates(Start Reading here).

So the biggest thing I'm grappling with ATM is terrain, I've always favored big epic terrain based boards, but that's a bit of trouble to easily work into a modular board! xD So heres my first idea;

Basically I'm a little torn on whether or not to make the larger elements like this 100% modular or making so that the bottom plates remain connected with the terrain as 1 big piece. I mean, I guess it's easiest to go with the Integrated version and then look into adding more modular elements.

So what do you guys think? I know it's kinda rough still but think of it as signs of things to come! right now I'm kind of planning out a badlands type area, think of the Alberta Badlands around Drumheller and such along with maybe some kind of supply base somewhere....

Mike
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Re: KNight's Terrain Thread - Input Appreciated

Postby XGundam05 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:16 pm

I'm liking the look of that terrain. And the fact that even using "standard" blocks it looks great is a huge plus.

As far as making it modular vs one huge piece, maybe break down the larger piece into modular pieces of larger than one base unit, say 3 or 4. That way it's still modular, but not to the point of possibly destroying the look and feel of it.
XG5 Systems Blog - "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Whitewolf » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:08 am

XGundam05 wrote:As far as making it modular vs one huge piece, maybe break down the larger piece into modular pieces of larger than one base unit, say 3 or 4. That way it's still modular, but not to the point of possibly destroying the look and feel of it.

This. But, i´d say keep the hill as on big piece, no need to cut it in 3 or so parts, imho. As long as the outline is compatible with the rest of the hex-plates, you´re still able to reposition it.
There is no such thing as Overkill, only "Holy **** that's a big crater!"

Flickr Fotostream
Brickshelf-Folder for MF0
Whitewolf
Young Gun

Postby Roboslob » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:20 am

I'd leave it as one piece, built with an interlocking base, so as to be able to easily arrange your setup, with making it too complicated. The same principle could also apply to buildings or other show pieces, and fill in the rest with blank hexes.l
Roboslob
Talkative

Postby OrangeKNight » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:45 pm

Whitewolf wrote:
XGundam05 wrote:As far as making it modular vs one huge piece, maybe break down the larger piece into modular pieces of larger than one base unit, say 3 or 4. That way it's still modular, but not to the point of possibly destroying the look and feel of it.

This. But, i´d say keep the hill as on big piece, no need to cut it in 3 or so parts, imho. As long as the outline is compatible with the rest of the hex-plates, you´re still able to reposition it.

This is kinda what I was thinking, I was thinking about having it break down into smaller chunks, but as far as transporting it goes, it still takes up the same kind of space/volume, so why go through all the trouble of making it more modular at this stage?

Roboslob wrote:I'd leave it as one piece, built with an interlocking base, so as to be able to easily arrange your setup, with making it too complicated. The same principle could also apply to buildings or other show pieces, and fill in the rest with blank hexes.l

Yeah that kinda what I got going on already;

For the most part I'm following my 4Plate Hex system, I just realized when taking this screencap that right at the bottom it kinda bleeds partially onto a "plain" Hex, so I just gotta tweek that and it'll be 100% 4Plate Hex compatible, it won't be compatible with the standard Hex System though, maybe with some inventive hex placement, but not in a standard fashion.

Also a preview of something I worked on while I watched all of Gundam Unicorn over again;
Fuel Depot!

Mike
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Postby LowestFormOfWit » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:40 am

That is a sexy Fuel Depot.
LowestFormOfWit
Grizzled Veteran

Postby OrangeKNight » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:50 am

LowestFormOfWit wrote:That is a sexy Fuel Depot.

Thanks, but I've run into a bit of a conundrum; I didn't make as much progress today on the board as I would of like because I'm not sure how I should proceed, heres kinda what I got now;

Click for full size
Not the best screencap, sorry

Basically, I'm not sure what I should do from here, cause this board, it's gonna be almost 4 feet by 4 feet, and seeing as I terribly like big immersion type terrain, but that means it's gonna get pretty expensive, For example, that one little mountain range is 235 2x4 bricks, at .15cents a brick it's 35$ about, and this being more of a bad lands tye terrain board, that's going to be far from the only rocky outcropping, and while I had some other stuff planned, you can already see the walls of a supply depot kind of thing I was planning, I wanted there to be a fair amount of tall-ish rocky outcroppings, so either I gotta bite the bullet and spend 150-200$ on Tan Bricks, find a better way of doing said rocky outcroppings, or come up with a better/different idea/theme for the board.

Truth be told, it's not about the amount of money, as much as just spending it efficiently, I don't mind the idea of dropping 150$ on just the bricks, because not only would it help to flesh out this board, but as I start to incorporate things like slops, extra coloring and plates for more variation and such it'd free up more of the bricks to be used in more terrain, it's like a large upfront investment that pays off long term. but I don't want to just jump on that because it's the first thing I thought of either, thus why we're here, Any input would be greatly appreciated, remember, one day you might get to play on this board! ;p

Mike
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Postby OrangeKNight » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:32 am

Hmm, I though doing this would be a good way to end the night, but........

I'm now having some serious concerns about the height/scale of my Frames, gonna have to do some more research......

Mike
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Postby pasukaru76 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:04 pm

OrangeKNight wrote:I'm now having some serious concerns about the height/scale of my Frames, gonna have to do some more research......

Maybe you need some house rules, considering something 3 bricks high as cover seems to be a bit low for your frames.
pasukaru76
Talkative

Postby OrangeKNight » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:23 pm

pasukaru76 wrote:
OrangeKNight wrote:I'm now having some serious concerns about the height/scale of my Frames, gonna have to do some more research......

Maybe you need some house rules, considering something 3 bricks high as cover seems to be a bit low for your frames.

I'd much prefer if my stuff didn't require house rules thought, I dunno, it might be the terrain, I need to actually give the rules a more in depth read and do some comparing with chubs and such to get a better feel for it all.....

Mike
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Postby Malcolm_Craig » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:07 am

Perhaps house rules aren't required. I mean, terrain at this scale is more representational than anything else. Yes, you may have aesthetic goals and strive for a certain amount of realism, but I wouldn't worry about it that much.

Cheers,
Malcolm
Mechatonic: An MFZ blog
Rules question? Read this!
"Long live the brave popular militias! Long live the loyal forces that fight alongside the workers! Long live the Republic! Long live democracy! Down with Fascism! Down with the reaction!"
Malcolm_Craig
Been Around The Block

Postby OrangeKNight » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:52 am

Okay so I doubled checked all my measurements(everything checked out) on top of double checking the actual board size as worked out in the Rule Book;

each colored section is 40 studs, or 1 Ruler Length, so the board is 5 Ruler Lengths Corner to Corner, and apparently 144 Studs is exactly 45", so the Board is super almost 4'x4', this should be good for most 2 player games I imagine, for larger games I could just mark out a bigger area on a table and just use the "terrain tiles" spread out.

I think the biggest issue that lead to all this was just I build really build the terrain large enough, Gonna take some time to re-do them and see how ti turns out. My falls don't even full hide a chub so I shouldn't be surprised mine stand out a big more! xD, I think I'll just be adding and extra layer of 1x2 bricks to the wall, and maybe replacing the bottom two 2x8 plates with 2x4 bricks or something so it's an even brick count in height.

EDIT: I did it already, I even included a technic brick for connecting them with a pin when they're not on the Hexes;

Thanks for all the help guys, I might be heading down to Vancouver this weekend, gonna try to grab a box of Tan 2x4s and other assorted PaB goodies.

Mike
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Postby Roboslob » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:13 pm

Hope they have what need stocked, I'd hate driving all the way to Calgary, only to find the Lego store doesn't have the parts I want.
Roboslob
Talkative

Postby OrangeKNight » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:01 pm

Roboslob wrote:Hope they have what need stocked, I'd hate driving all the way to Calgary, only to find the Lego store doesn't have the parts I want.

Well it turns out I'm not able to make it down due to plans I was not aware of, but also when I called they didn't sound all that convincing as to the amount of the tan bricks, so I gotta pass, I'll start scrounging BL xD

Mike
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Postby OrangeKNight » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:32 am

New from the KNightArms Utility Vehicle Line, we are proud to present the Peach Hauler!

When you have to move your Fresh Peaches on highways, barren wastelands or battlefields, you can count on the KNightArms Peach Hauler to get them to your destination fast and easy. The Cabin Features room for the Drive and Navigator, with Optional Mini-Fridge. Passenger Compartment seats 4, with dual Gull Wing Doors for easy access. Metal weave Tires guarantees* you'll never get a flat tire!

The All important Peach Containment Unit is detachable allowing for easy unloading at the depot, allowing you to get set for the next mission!

*Not actually a Guarantee!

Mike
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Postby randolph » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:56 am

Hilarious and awesome :D
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby OrangeKNight » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Okay guys, I just put in my biggest slew of BL orders yet, so things might be a little quite, still have a large second round of orders I'll need to do before the end of the month, so I'm gonna try working in a few smaller terrain pieces like the fuel depot I posted here and gonna try to come up with a few more things for variety.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Mike
OrangeKNight
Talkative

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Terrain